Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Norris - Social welfare shouldn't be spent on alcohol

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

David Norris has come under fire for saying that people on social welfare shouldn't be allowed to spend it on alcohol.

Speaking on Newstalk in relation to the new minimum prices on alcohol announced by Leo Varadkar this week, Norris said the following.

“I have no sympathy...

I hear people on the wireless saying: ‘Oh, what about the poor people on social welfare and them being deprived of the few drinks...

I don’t spend my tax dollars to buy drinks for people on social welfare. I really don’t and I resent that, I think that it’s ridiculous that tax dollars are being used to fund drinking...

I don’t think tax is for people to be drinking all the time, and I see them all around my area buying slabs of drinks for virtually nothing... vomiting and puking all over the place.

Drink is now a human right, it’s ridiculous.”

While he may have bothered quite a few people, I personally, agree with Norris to some extent.

Alcohol is a luxury, not a right.

If you cannot work for health reasons, then obviously how you spend your welfare is up to you.

However, if you could find a job – particularly in the capital, where unemployment is nowhere near as high as it is the rest of the country – but you choose to receive jobseekers allowance, rent allowance etc, and then spend a significant proportion of it on drink, then tax payers have a right to be annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Maybe Norris and the people giving out about unemployed people here should take a minute and think about if you were unemployed.
    Would you like it if people said you weren't entitled to have a drink?
    I'm not talking binge drinking.
    I'm talking one can at the weekend.
    Would you like it if people said you weren't entitled to that?
    It's something to think about isn't it.
    How would Norris like it if it was said he wasn't entitled to have a drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,314 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Norris is a snob, he gated his own street maybe he thinks everyone on welfare buys slabs of drink. But they do not. Welfare includes disability, pensioners etc. He has gone down in my estimation as I thought he would be the last person to play on stereotypes. Maybe he thinks reading Joyce is the answer? I left out another bit in his statement he claimed he sees "THEM buying slabs of drink around his area". Enough said.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

He is a bellend.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

He's dead right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

I'm surprised at the negative reactions to his comments. He made a very simple statement that I completly agree with. Of course not everything is black and white but you could hardly say anything without generalising a little bit.

Alcohol is not a welfare item. It is not needed. No you don't need alcohol to have an enjoyable time at the pub or improve any aspect of your social life. You could argue the total opposite in fact.

I believe certain welfare recipients should reconsider how they spend all of our tax money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

As long as it's not against the law you can spend it on what you like.

I wouldn't want people spending money on drink every night of the week or almost every night. But people should be able to have a few drinks on the weekends welfare money or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,314 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Roger_007 wrote: »
    David Norris says he doesn't want his "tax dollars" to be spent on drink!

http://www.thejournal.ie/david-norris-welfare-drink-2496750-Dec2015/?utm_source=email

He seems to forget that it's our tax dollars which pay him.

Also I thought we use Euros, he thinks he is the OK coral.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

IngazZagni wrote: »
    I believe certain welfare recipients should reconsider how they spend all of our tax money.
    Spending dole money on alcohol and cigarettes would recoup a lot of that "tax money". Lotto too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

As long as it's not against the law you can spend it on what you like.

I wouldn't want people spending money on drink every night of the week or almost every night. But people should be able to have a few drinks on the weekends welfare money or not.
    Considering they are getting the money for doing nothing, they might try and do something useful with money rather than totally wasting it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

Considering they are getting the money for doing nothing, they might try and do something useful with money rather than totally wasting it.

Why? What's it to you?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

David Norris has come under fire for saying that people on social welfare shouldn't be allowed to spend it on alcohol.

Speaking on Newstalk in relation to the new minimum prices on alcohol announced by Leo Varadkar this week, Norris said the following.

“I have no sympathy...

I hear people on the wireless saying: ‘Oh, what about the poor people on social welfare and them being deprived of the few drinks...

I don’t spend my tax dollars to buy drinks for people on social welfare. I really don’t and I resent that, I think that it’s ridiculous that tax dollars are being used to fund drinking...

I don’t think tax is for people to be drinking all the time, and I see them all around my area buying slabs of drinks for virtually nothing... vomiting and puking all over the place.

Drink is now a human right, it’s ridiculous.”

While he may have bothered quite a few people, I personally, agree with Norris to some extent.

Alcohol is a luxury, not a right.

If you cannot work for health reasons, then obviously how you spend your welfare is up to you.

However, if you could find a job – particularly in the capital, where unemployment is nowhere near as high as it is the rest of the country – but you choose to receive jobseekers allowance, rent allowance etc, and then spend a significant proportion of it on drink, then tax payers have a right to be annoyed.
    I've merged this with the existing thread, poll now moved to the original thread.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Why? What's it to you?
    Considering the tax payer is paying for it, it's a total waste. They would be better off trying to get a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I'll spend me dole whichever way I see fit. I'm entitled to it.

I'll spend me dole whichever way I see fit. I'm entitled to it.

That's the problem with this Country, the sense of "entitlement".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

Swiftly wrote: »
    Would you prefer them to be naked? Or wear a grass/twig ensemble. Imagine homeless people with clothes attending the soup sandwich run. What an outrage
    Swiftly wrote: »
    Maybe they bought them in a charity shop? Maybe they were donated/given to them? Maybe they bought them before they fell on hard times. It's not like they're wearing prada or dolce. It's just pure moany stuck up judgemental I hate my life let's make as many people miserable as possible with me crying about every little thing.

If you look at a group of homeless people and your thought is Oh they wearing Adidas how dare they. Then you're beyond help.

You are one naive person. I also notice you ignore the cigarettes and alcohol aspect of my post. Nothing smart to say in reply?

I spend my days dealing with these people, they arent homeless, they dont work, they dont want to work, instead they spend YOUR money on alcohol, smokes and drugs. They have sky dishes and nicer cars than I.

And they sure as be damned arent working Christmas morning propping up the GPO or seperating drunk parents like I have!

Theres legitimate unemploted, theres legitimate homeless. They are the ones that drag themselves back out. The ones that havent worked in 10 years, what exactly do you think caused them too be unemployed in 2005?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Read the article to find out his reason what his problem is with it. He doesnt give one. He needs to get a proper argument other than "the country has gone mad on drink".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

Considering the tax payer is paying for it, it's a total waste. They would be better off trying to get a job.

True. You'd be better off doing something more useful on a Friday evening than posting on After Hours. Not my place to tell you that though.

Yes, I hope people do something useful with their welfare money but I'm not going to go mad if people have a night out once or twice a month.

True. You'd be better off doing something more useful on a Friday evening than posting on After Hours. Not my place to tell you that though.

I'm spending my hard earned money, not scavenged off the state.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Here we go again, blaming the least well-off for the health service problem and all other problems. I'm sure it's hard enough to survive on a few quid on the dole but then being stigmatised for unfortunately losing your job you have to put up with fascist remarks like this from a senator who lives off taxpayers monies.

We should have got rid of this idiot when we had the chance in the last referendum but we thought it would give the government more power if we voted to abolish the senate.

esforum wrote: »
    You are one naive person. I also notice you ignore the cigarettes and alcohol aspect of my post. Nothing smart to say in reply?

I spend my days dealing with these people, they arent homeless, they dont work, they dont want to work, instead they spend YOUR money on alcohol, smokes and drugs. They have sky dishes and nicer cars than I.

And they sure as be damned arent working Christmas morning propping up the GPO or seperating drunk parents like I have!

Theres legitimate unemploted, theres legitimate homeless. They are the ones that drag themselves back out. The ones that havent worked in 10 years, what exactly do you think caused them too be unemployed in 2005?

I'm pretty sure it's the states money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

That's the problem with this Country, the sense of "entitlement".

Entitled Ireland has become a massive growing problem.

What some people fail to realise is that every single cent they receive in welfare this has been taken from somebody else (or maybe they do realise but just don't care)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

Im pretty sure you and I are the state.

Taxpayer.

esforum wrote: »
    Im pretty sure you and I are the state.

We are citizens inside the state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

It should be reduced when the economy is doing well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

The only way to control how welfare money is spent is to give it out in the form of vouchers and I cannot stress how much I hate that idea. It's so stigmatising.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Entitled Ireland has become a massive growing problem.

What some people fail to realise is that every single cent they receive in welfare this has been taken from somebody else (or maybe they do realise but just don't care)

Or out of their own wages they had been earning for years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Norris is forgetting that people on welfare who drink are taxpayers too..

Am............right???

Advertisement