Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Norris - Social welfare shouldn't be spent on alcohol

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

:rolleyes:

If it wasn't for the local alcos a lot of pubs would be closing down and more people would be joining the dole ques.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Which is when you declare yourself bankrupt, an entirely separate discussion altogether.

You dont have to be bankrupt to be in the insolvency process

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Diane Selwyn

Norris is forgetting that people on welfare who drink are taxpayers too, same with smokers...

good point - anyone purchasing booze and ciggies is paying a shedload of tax that those who have to remain sober for 8 hours or so each day tend to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

He has a pint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Stupid thing to say, banning people from drinking has never stopped them drinking. Glad he is not our president.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭lolokeogh

What a stupid comment.

What would people on the dole do all day otherwise?

spend there time on boards.ie??

stupid comment from mr norris...but not for the first time

good point - anyone purchasing booze and ciggies is paying a shedload of tax that those who have to remain sober for 8 hours or so each day tend to avoid.

They played their part on getting the country out of the recession tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Norris is forgetting that people on welfare who drink are taxpayers too, same with smokers...

It's called clawback.

"Here's your dole, you can buy what you like with it but remember that we'll get a lot of it back in VAT and taxes on alcohol and cigarettes. Thanks from the government every time you buy alcohol and cigarettes in this country."

A message like that might put the unemployed and working alike off smoking and drinking. Seriously many of these people go over the border to buy drink or smuggle in cheaper cigarettes and who can blame them when it's so expensive most of the time.

I would be more worried about teenagers getting off their faces on cheap drink and ending up in A&E than about adults who can take care of themselves working or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Pizzle

Thankfully we don't yet live in a state where we're only allowed spend money on what the government deems acceptable.

If someone on the dole or working can have a few drinks and not go without food, shelter or heating as a consequence, who gives a fcuk?

Doesn't that imply they are on too much dole then?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

As someone who exists entirely by and for the collective, at least in theory, I would have expected a little more humility from him regarding pronouncing Ex Cathedra on what people may and may not spend their money on. I'm not too keen on spending my tax dollars on enabling him to ponce around the place flapping his jaw, but you don't see me making a big hairy-arsed deal about it! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

Pizzle wrote: »

Yeah, definitely. If there's another recession and thousands lose their jobs then I don't want them bastards affording anything except the bare minimum needed for survival. I don't give a **** how much PRSI they've paid, I don't care if it wasn't their fault that they lost their job, I don't care if there are less jobs then there are working adults. All of that is completely irrelevant as long as the people who still have jobs get the warm fuzzies from knowing that welfare payments won't cover anything recreational at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

I don't think seanad members should be allowed buy anal lube with my tax money! :pac:

I don't think seanad members should be allowed buy anal lube with my tax money! :pac:

Careful now. That might offend the PC brigade :pac:

I'm going to be the bigger man about it and say I don't mind if he shoves a few of my tenners into any of his various orifices, any more than I'd begrudge someone on the dole the odd €5.99 bottle of wine. Don't thank me. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

He's a knob, glad he didn't get near the Presidency. Between this and his attack on RTE for highlighting the corruption recently, he really is coming off badly. Again.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Pizzle

Social welfare is there to assist needy families and individuals. It should be enough to survive on, but I don't see why people then feel there should be entitlements to luxuries like alcohol etc. I don't buy the social aspect of drinking in this context either. The pub is not the only place/activity where you get social interaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

So they should save money instead of putting it back into the economy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Swiftly

Social welfare is there to assist needy families and individuals. It should be enough to survive on, but I don't see why people then feel there should be entitlements to luxuries like alcohol etc. I don't buy the social aspect of drinking in this context either. The pub is not the only place/activity where you get social interaction.

So begrudge all responsible people who are urgently seeking work and genuinely trying their best from having a responsible drink if they wish to do so. Luckily our opinions don't matter they can do what they want with the money they receive so people will have to make do with being "outraged"

Are they allowed a tincture on Christmas Eve with the nice people, or should they be out shining shoes to supplement their gruel and black bread? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

i support this. reduce the price for those with jobs and outright ban it for people on social benefits. see how quickly people start getting jobs when this is brought in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 178 ✭✭BenedrylPete

They shouldn't be drinking.
    they should be working out at the steam and barbell gym in norris' building.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Tabnabs wrote: »
    The other political scroungers (PBP) are not happy to have their entitlements questioned

https://twitter.com/KarlGill/status/675281686310068224

From "workers of the world unite, you have nothing to lose but your chains" to "everyone's entitled to a drink".

The political left has come a long way.
    And I don't mean up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Swiftly

Must find my Santa suit, fill my bag with bottles of vodka and stand outside the dole office handing out presents to harshly judged. I'll dedicate it to all the moaning snobs. Merry Crimbo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

No. Some small social life is considered essential to one's wellbeing. So if someone on the dole can get a cheap bottle of wine now and then to have a drink with their mate, they're getting too much money?

Bread and water for all!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

is this the same david norris that was bleating on about equality a few months ago when he was looking for a yes vote

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Specialun wrote: »
    is this the same david norris that was bleating on about equality a few months ago when he was looking for a yes vote

He only wants equality for himself.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Judging by his most recent verbal ejaculations, it looks like Mr Norris has been struck down with a case of Trumpitis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Pretty idiotic statement, of which, many will agree with.

For many, the dole = fun free zone.

Advertisement