Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Norris - Social welfare shouldn't be spent on alcohol

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭Lights On

When did we start using dollars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Roger_007 wrote: »
    David Norris says he doesn't want his "tax dollars" to be spent on drink!

http://www.thejournal.ie/david-norris-welfare-drink-2496750-Dec2015/?utm_source=email

He seems to forget that it's our tax dollars which pay him.

Between this and the rant about RTE the other day, I'm beginning to think oul Dave is losin his marbles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

David Norris says a lot of things but very little of any consequence...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

"My dole pays your wages!"

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

David Norris says he doesn't want his "tax dollars" to be spent on drink!

http://www.thejournal.ie/david-norris-welfare-drink-2496750-Dec2015/?utm_source=email

I don't think he wants all welfare recipients not to drink, he wants them unable to binge drink.

But granted he very badly worded it, like here;
    wrote:
    Asked by presenter Ivan Yates if he was proposing that people on welfare should not be allowed to buy a drink, Norris said:
    Not with tax money, no. I don’t think tax is for people to be drinking all the time, and I see them all around my area buying slabs of drinks for virtually nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Lights On wrote: »
    When did we start using dollars?

Since the Irish man brought down the flight from NY to Vegas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Not the first stupid thing he's said this week. He's probably on a lot of medication. I wonder if that affects his judgement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

What a stupid comment.

What would people on the dole do all day otherwise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Anybody that's spending money on drink that they should be spending on more important matters shouldn't be drinking, whether they are on the dole or millionaire's row.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The other political scroungers (PBP) are not happy to have their entitlements questioned

https://twitter.com/KarlGill/status/675281686310068224

• Advertisement

What a stupid comment.

Increase the population and put more strain on the taxpayer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

AnonoBoy wrote: »

"my theivin finances your security job"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I don't people on the dole should be allowed buy jambons.

Jambons are manky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Kinda pointless argument as people can spend the money they have on whatever they like.

Happy enough to see social welfare drunks shot though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Swiftly

Fascist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Thankfully we don't yet live in a state where we're only allowed spend money on what the government deems acceptable.

If someone on the dole or working can have a few drinks and not go without food, shelter or heating as a consequence, who gives a fcuk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

he had a liver transplant a couple of years ago, not because of excessive alcohol, but cancer (I think). Im guessing he will have seen and heard it all regarding Ireland's excessive drinking and the burden it is putting on the health service especially renal depts in hospitals.

He will certainly have heard it all from the consultants and heptologists he has been dealing with.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Thankfully we don't yet live in a state where we're only allowed spend money on what the government deems acceptable.

If someone on the dole or working can have a few drinks and not go without food, shelter or heating as a consequence, who gives a fcuk?

Unfortunately we do live in a country where both the government and the banks can decide on how people can spend their income. Check out the personal insolvency legislation.

If someone on the dole or working can have a few drinks and go without food, shelter or heating as a consequence, who gives a fcuk?

Cause sometimes there are kids in the same house, that are most affected by those bad choices unfortunately...

But that is an extreme scenario in fairness...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

faceman wrote: »
    Unfortunately we do live in a country where both the government and the banks can decide on how people can spend their income. Check out the personal insolvency legislation.

Which is when you declare yourself bankrupt, an entirely separate discussion altogether.

• Advertisement

Cause sometimes there are kids in the same house, that are most affected by those bad choices unfortunately...

But that is an extreme scenario in fairness...

Yeah but cases with alcoholism are totally different to the norm. Kids should absolutely be protected in those instances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

he had a liver transplant a couple of years ago, not because of excessive alcohol, but cancer (I think). Im guessing he will have seen and heard it all regarding Ireland's excessive drinking and the burden it is putting on the health service especially renal depts in hospitals.

He will certainly have heard it all from the consultants and heptologists he has been dealing with.

One could possibly say not being able to have a pint himself might have colored his view a tad.

My apologies, I meant that in the most basic, day to day sense, in that the government don't dictate the food we eat, the clothing we buy, the electricity provider we use and so on.

Norris is forgetting that people on welfare who drink are taxpayers too, same with smokers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

What a stupid comment.

They should be looking for work for a start.

Norris is forgetting that people on welfare who drink are taxpayers too, same with smokers...

:rolleyes:
    AnonoBoy wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Staplor

Not true, for insolvency, once you stay in the reasonable living expenses (RLEs)then you are fine. You could spend it all up to the RLEs on cheap cider and still proceed with insolvency. The RLE's are nonsense though.

glued wrote: »
    They should be looking for work for a start.

What about after they've finished looking for work ? Should they look at the four walls ?

How I see it is, it's their money and they are entitled to do whatever they want with it, that's their business and nobody else's.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 quarefarmers

The syphilis has advanced to his brain me thinks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭kettlehead

Norris is free to write letters to the Israeli authorities asking for clemency for paedophile rapists just as people on the dole are free to spend their stipend on cans. I don't think either are really a great idea, but it's part and parcel of living in a free society.

Advertisement