Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Norris - Social welfare shouldn't be spent on alcohol

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I agree with David Norris. I'd just rather not hear it from a member of a senate we don't need and who is grossly overpaid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

Cienciano wrote: »
    Read the article to find out his reason what his problem is with it. He doesnt give one. He needs to get a proper argument other than "the country has gone mad on drink".

He needs to be controversial to appear relevant now nobody is oppressing him because he is gay. I was hoping with the marriage referendum that this one trick pony would be put out to pasture but sadly the old nag has more nagging to do. He irritates the chap out of me with his elitist attention seeking blather and his creepy voice. And to be talking about people getting money for doing nothing is pretty rich, pontificating and congratulating himself on his own superiority all day is Not exactly overexerting himself. Batch, Insufferable, condescending little man

Is this true? Was it a social welfare payment or something to do with trinity college? If it was state disability allowance and he was employed as a senator this would be fraud. Even if it was from college it is dodgy..... Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones methinks....
    Also he doesn't want equality for everyone, just "his kind". I don't mean gay people BTW but up their own arse people. If ever there was a compelling reason to abolish the Senate. Who keeps voting for him. He is a ridiculous man.
    Dunno if he still is but he did for 16 years while he was still working full time as senator

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/norris-claimed-disability-payments-for-16-years-26779206.html

And why do you agree with what he says? He's not saying that people on long term unemployment or system gamers shouldn't be allowed to drink in pubs all day, he's saying that nobody on benefits should be allowed to buy drink full stop. It's nothing but classist bullcrap, which is a bit rich coming from a guy that pretends to be all about equality etc. Hypocritical little worm of a man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Pizzle wrote: »
    The pub is not the only place/activity where you get social interaction.

Indeed but it's one of the places. Why should it be off-limits?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 DaraghMAC

When a person applies for and is granted a Job seekers payment it is made clear to them that the money is to help them look for employment. That is a fact and not my opinion.

When TD's and senators waste public funds on luxuries and unnecessary spending everyone goes to town on them!!!
    I would argue that someone on a job seekers payment buying alcohol or cigarettes is doing the same thing and yet here we are standing up for them. Alcohol is a luxury to a working person....Why should tax payers put up with this when our health service is in the state that is. 84 year old's on trolleys in corridors so that long term job seekers can have a good drink to themselves....wise up people.....while our roads are falling apart.....while our schools are falling apart and under staffed and under resourced.....Wise up people.

The pompous way in which David Norris delivered his message didn't help and neither did the way he tared everyone on a Social Welfare payment with the same brush. Some people on a Social Welfare payment have worked very hard for it(pensioners) and have every right to spend it how they wish.....Job seekers have not!! You cannot look for work while you are drunk!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

I'm on Carers Allowance. It isn't politically correct to say so, but I fcuking need moderate amounts of alcohol by the end of the week without compromising my responsibility. I voted for David Norris for President in 2011 but he can go and schite after this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

I firmly believe that there is no need to give people on the dole cash. I believe people on the dole should be given a card with cash credits which can only be used in certain places and for certain goods. They can save these cash credits and buy pretty much whatever they want. I would allow the card to be used in all major supermarkets, department stores, cinemas, petrol stations, utility providers etc etc but I would not allow the purchasing of certain items like alcohol and cigarettes (*above a certain limit each day*). The credits on alcohol I would not allow to be saved up and used in one go either.

Ah, nice and stigmatising. Somebody on these threads always comes out with this. I would love to see if you would be so in favour of a system like this if you found yourself out of work.

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Ah, nice and stigmatising. Somebody on these threads always comes out with this. I would love to see if you would be so in favour of a system like this if you found yourself out of work.

Or disabled or caring for a sick child / parent or widowed or unexpectedly separated when a stay at home parent or elderly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

Wouldn't begrudge anyone who is job-searching having a few cans/couple of pints of a Friday or Saturday night. It's crappy enough being in their situation, nothing wrong with a treat/heading out with their friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Bit rich coming from a man who's a senator, what work does he exactly do?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    I would love to see if you would be so in favour of a system like this if you found yourself out of work.

Trust me. I an no stranger to being unable to work.
    melissak wrote: »
    Or disabled or caring for a sick child / parent or widowed or unexpectedly separated when a stay at home parent or elderly...

Am also more than au fait with caring for a disabled family member.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Wow so far 50% of nearly 100 people would like to ban unemployed people from having the odd drink.
    What has the country come to seriously.
    So half the people don't remember what it's like being unemployed and unable to find work and want to make people suffer for being in that situation.
    I know you get the odd person who doesn't want to work but most people actually want to work and can't get work.
    Yep I'm surprised and very disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Swiftly

quinnd6 wrote: »
    Wow so far 50% of nearly 100 people would like to ban unemployed people from having the odd drink.
    So half the people don't remember what it's like being unemployed and unable to find work and want to make people suffer for being in that situation.
    I know you get the odd person who doesn't want to work but most people actually want to work and can't get work.

Don't be. If you asked the general public it would be a lot different. Boards attracts a lot of people who like to feel "outraged" and find fault in everything. They're usually right whingers. I'm neither but find the right to be the craziest with this social situations. Anyway like I said most are bitter and hate their lives and want others to suffer hence the moaning. Pick a group and blame them for their shortcomings in life. I had a drink tonight and guess what I saw an umemployed person in the bar. Absolutely scandalous

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

Wasn't David Norris caught scamming disability a few years ago ?

He has some cheek to be attacking people on the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,823 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Who is anyone to decide how another spends their money. I'd only have a problem if a dependant was suffering because of money being spent on alcohol but then I'd have the same problem if this was happening to the dependant of an employed person. Everything in moderation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭CaptainInsano

DaraghMAC wrote: »
    Job seekers have not!! You cannot look for work while you are drunk!!

You can't look for work when you're asleep either. We need to organise an Anti Sleep Force to make sure they get 7 hours max. Also, saw someone I know that's on the dole eating out with her husband for his birthday recently. That has to end, only microwavable Aldi lasagnes from now on for special occasions, the rest of the time the money should only be spent on the bare minimum needed for a human to survive. Another thing that wrecks my head is when they go to the hairdressers instead of shaving their heads. Oh, and mandatory potato sacks, no more fancy Penny's outfits. It just gets to me so much that every single person on welfare spends every penny of my money on luxuries and getting drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,062 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

He is spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Of course it's okay for long term dole recipients to buy 2 or 3 slabs of beer and 200 cigarettes with their dole money each week.....ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

And let's not forget the Child Allowance. No harm in mum spending that on wine and vodka either.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭PissFlapsDory

Lights On wrote: »
    When did we start using dollars?

The phrase 'tax dollars'....and the other one 'he's on the FF ticket' or 'she's on the FG ticket' etc. Pitiful phrases that just make me laugh when I hear them. It's almost as if the Americanization gives them more creedence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Twitchy curtains on the Norris house

As regards drinking culture in Ireland. Well, I guess stuff happens. Some people drink because they're 21 or so and having a good time. Others drink and wished they were 21 and were still having a good time. Get to around 40 to 50....and you can see it and smell it.
    I'm with Norris on this one... my hat is off to him for just saying it as it is. (excluding the use of the tax dollars phrase)

quinnd6 wrote: »

I'm not a bit surprised. There has always been a right wing streak in the professional classes. One of my teachers was an out and out admirer of Franco, while one employer used to make favourable comparisons between Haughey and Salazar.

Banjoxed wrote: »
    There has always been a right wing streak in the professional classes. One of my teachers was an out and out admirer of Franco, while one employer used to make favourable comparisons between Haughey and Salazar.

Wouldn't consider a person who gives a personal opinion about something not related their job or position as being a professional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

See some kids going around with the shoes falling off their feet, clothes either dirty or too small on them, and mammy out every Saturday night. After a hard week of being a full time mum to little angles.
    Disgust you so it would

Wouldn't consider a person who gives a personal opinion about something not related their job or position as being a professional.

These were two people who revelled in having subordinates. My opinion of them was irrelevant until I no longer had to deal with them. The last one was also a Knight of Columbanus.

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Who is anyone to decide how another spends their money...

One might say our money...though for all that not sure I agree with where Norris is going.

These were two people who revelled in having subordinates. My opinion of them was irrelevant until I no longer had to deal with them. The last one was also a Knight of Columbanus.
    Really, that's amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,001 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

One might say our money...though for all that not sure I agree with where Norris is going.

But its not "our money" or Norriss Dollars.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm not a bit surprised. There has always been a right wing streak in the professional classes. One of my teachers was an out and out admirer of Franco.
    The Joke is *godwin alert* Hitler's party brought in social welfare to Germany and against quite the opposition from the "professional classes" too. So long as you were a member of the "master race" of course…

Norris is a blowhard of long standing.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement