Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Norris - Social welfare shouldn't be spent on alcohol

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Judging by his most recent verbal ejaculations, it looks like Mr Norris has been struck down with a case of Trumpitis.

He's just missing the limelight I reckon. RTE used to have near weekly interviews with him,
    "Tell us about the first time you met Ezra"
    Oh ffs *switch channel*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭golfball37

Ezra, ejaculations and Norris all in the one post above...You'd be forgiven for thinking it was 2011:)

golfball37 wrote: »
    Ezra, ejaculations and Norris all in the one post above...You'd be forgiven for thinking it was 2011:)

Err, sure you would... Care to elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

He's still mad he didn't get into the aras.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Isn't he claiming disability benefir himself. Don't think he's worked a proper job in years so he's getting social welfare himself. However I do agree a a little with his statement. The local pub close to me is always busy during the day and I'd say 75% of those in there pinting and bettin on the horses are on the dole...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

He's still mad he didn't get into the aras.

I read that as arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭quinnd6

He's stereotyping and trying to dictate to all unemployed people here.
    This kind of garbage should be unacceptable.
    I used to think he seemed ok.
    How wrong I was.
    It will be a pleasure to vote the whole lot of them out of government.
    When's the next election coming up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

quinnd6 wrote: »
    He's stereotyping and trying to dictate to all unemployed people here.
    This kind of garbage should be unacceptable.
    I used to think he seemed ok.
    How wrong I was.
    It will be a pleasure to vote the whole lot of them out of government.
    When's the next election coming up?

He's an self aggrandizing eegit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

he had a liver transplant a couple of years ago, not because of excessive alcohol, but cancer (I think). Im guessing he will have seen and heard it all regarding Ireland's excessive drinking and the burden it is putting on the health service especially renal depts in hospitals.

He will certainly have heard it all from the consultants and heptologists he has been dealing with.
    He has hepatitis from "dirty water" not dirty sex!
    DellyBelly wrote: »
    Isn't he claiming disability benefir himself. Don't think he's worked a proper job in years so he's getting social welfare himself. However I do agree a a little with his statement. The local pub close to me is always busy during the day and I'd say 75% of those in there pinting and bettin on the horses are on the dole...
    Ah yes he is claiming disability benefit plus getting his full salary as senator.

this rather nasty and obnoxious insignificant little man has been just about forgotten about by the media and every now and then he will let his need for the limelight get the better of discretion and will come out with this kind of drivel so that he gets to appear in "the journal" or other insignificant media outlets.

The truth is that after he almost bankrupted himself trying to become Queen President of Ireland people saw him for what he really is, he is the same as "Bags of Money" off the prime time show! He takes all that his position has to offer and will milk it for expenses and more as long as his pox-ridden body sucks air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

He's been awfully quiet since he cried on every media outlet about the injustice of abolishing the senate. Promised reform f it was kept. Where is this reform?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

I don't think the dole = fun free zone but I do agree with the sentiments of his statement. I too see people living in my area buying bags of cans all the God damn time while their kids run after them filthy and clearly in need of so much more than they are getting. It fcuking sickens me that these people can use the money that is given to them to support their family and instead use it to buy alcohol / heroin all week.

I firmly believe that there is no need to give people on the dole cash. I believe people on the dole should be given a card with cash credits which can only be used in certain places and for certain goods. They can save these cash credits and buy pretty much whatever they want. I would allow the card to be used in all major supermarkets, department stores, cinemas, petrol stations, utility providers etc etc but I would not allow the purchasing of certain items like alcohol and cigarettes (*above a certain limit each day*). The credits on alcohol I would not allow to be saved up and used in one go either.

Of course people would find loopholes by buying goods with their credit and selling it on for cash but so be it. It would be worth it in the long run I think as I feel restricting what benefits can be spent on would result in more kids getting fed better quality food and getting their day to day needs met in so many other areas too. These people buy cheap crap and shove it down their kids necks just so they can afford more alcohol / drugs. Kids go without so mammy and daddy can live the life of an alco or a junkie and it needs to stop. I am not suggesting that all people on the dole are either of these by the way but that's of minor importance as such a such a system, if done well, shouldn't hinder someone even if they were teetotal as they would still be able to buy whatever they want to buy, but there would just be small restriction on where.

He's been awfully quiet since he cried on every media outlet about the injustice of abolishing the senate. Promised reform f it was kept. Where is this reform?

He is a career politician, otherwise known as a complete horse shìt merchant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Swiftly

I don't think the dole = fun free zone but I do agree with the sentiments of his statement. I too see people living in my area buying bags of cans all the God damn time while their kids run after them filthy and clearly in need of so much more than they are getting. It fcuking sickens me that these people can use the money that is given to them to support their family and instead use it to buy alcohol / heroin all week.

I firmly believe that there is no need to give people on the dole cash. I believe people on the dole should be given a card with cash credits which can only be used in certain places and for certain goods. They can save these cash credits and buy pretty much whatever they want. I would allow the card to be used in all major supermarkets, department stores, cinemas, petrol stations, utility providers etc etc but I would not allow the purchasing of certain items like alcohol and cigarettes (*above a certain limit each day*). The credits on alcohol I would not allow to be saved up and used in one go either.

Of course people would find loopholes by buying goods with their credit and selling it on for cash but so be it. It would be worth it in the long run I think as I feel restricting what benefits can be spent on would result in more kids getting fed better quality food and getting their day to day needs met in so many other areas too. These people buy cheap crap and shove it down their kids necks just so they can afford more alcohol / drugs. Kids go without so mammy and daddy can live the life of an alco or a junkie and it needs to stop. I am not suggesting that all people on the dole are either of these by the way but that's of minor importance as such a such a system, if done well, shouldn't hinder someone even if they were teetotal as they would still be able to buy whatever they want to buy, but there would just be small restriction on where.

So everyone one the dole drinks all week, takes heroine all week and neglects their kids? God I'd rather be on the dole than be that judgemental. Some people

I would allow the card to be used in all major supermarkets, department stores, cinemas, petrol stations, utility providers etc etc but I would not allow the purchasing of certain items like alcohol and cigarettes (*above a certain limit each day*).
    Of course people would find loopholes..

I remember the local shop down the road used to accept butter vouchers for fags when I was a young lad. There's always loopholes, cash seems a far easier method than all the associated overhead of implementing and policing your system.

Swiftly wrote: »
    So everyone one the dole drinks all week, takes heroine all week and neglects their kids? God I'd rather be on the dole than be that judgemental. Some people
    Lazy strawman

Lazy strawman

Cliched bigot

Cliched bigot

Care to quote where I said something bigotted?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Is timmy taxpayer subsidizing his only goorjoos georgian gaff?

Care to quote where I said something bigotted?

You played the strawman card bs. The other person said she sees people on the dole drinking and taking heroine all week and neglecting their kids so everyone on the dole shouldn't get cash to spend. So I asked do all people on the dole neglect their kids drink etc? so you're right you aren't a bigot you're just a stupid ****

DellyBelly wrote: »
    They must be good at gambling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Some people are just not capable of living the "normal" life of sitting in all weekend when money is tight, many of these people have mental health issues and would be out breaking up the place if they didn't get a bit pissed as it seems to calm them into a stupor.

Years ago many of these dysfunctional people would be in the care of the state and would have been rendered incapable of reproducing by means of chemical castration etc so they were not the problem that they seem to be nowadays.
    Give them everything except their dignity!

What if the card is lost or stolen? or simply doesn't scan properly due to our usual governmental way of fooking up all good systems that come their way?

Hitler had similar systems in place for the poor unfortunates in Poland, Hungary and all over Germany that they put into labour camps and death camps.
    These people buy cheep crap because it is all they can afford after other bills and household items are covered as well as pairs of shoes, clothes and winter coats for children and then there is always notes home inviting them to pay for their childrens "free" education!

People should try to live on fook all and still pay all the bills and rent etc as well as make sure santa appears in some form before calling everyone on the dole a waster and sponging Dutch Gold lush!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

Asked by presenter Ivan Yates if he was proposing that people on welfare should not be allowed to buy a drink, Norris said:
    Not with tax money, no. I don’t think tax is for people to be drinking all the time, and I see them all around my area buying slabs of drinks for virtually nothing.
    where are they available for virtually nothing? I need some for Christmas.
    They are 24 - 40 euro around here I would not consider that virtually nothing, Having said that I am not on a senators income.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

He's right. Dole is ment to sustain people during a period of unemployment. If they have enough for drink then they're getting too much. It's time for a serious review of social welfare spending.

You played the strawman card bs. The other person said she sees people on the dole drinking and taking heroine all week and neglecting their kids so everyone on the dole shouldn't get cash to spend. So I asked do all people on the dole neglect their kids drink etc? so you're right you aren't a bigot you're just a stupid ****
    Don't hate the player, dawg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Norris is forgetting that people on welfare who drink are taxpayers too, same with smokers...

I will respond to you through the medium of images.

Don't hate the player, dawg

Don't play the strawman card until you learn what it means. And I can't hate the irrelevant, dawg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Lights On wrote: »
    When did we start using dollars?

Right after Hugh McElvaney started spending sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,005 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

jimgoose wrote: »
    As someone who exists entirely by and for the collective, at least in theory, I would have expected a little more humility from him regarding pronouncing Ex Cathedra on what people may and may not spend their money on. I'm not too keen on spending my tax dollars on enabling him to ponce around the place flapping his jaw, but you don't see me making a big hairy-arsed deal about it! :pac:

Norris? A collectivist? Hardly.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

So everyone one the dole drinks all week, takes heroine all week and neglects their kids?

Perhaps you should read all of a user's post before hitting reply and suggesting they have said something which they haven't.
    Kids go without so mammy and daddy can live the life of an alco or a junkie and it needs to stop.

I am not suggesting that all people on the dole are either of these by the way..

• Advertisement

Perhaps you should read all of a user's post before hitting reply and suggesting they have said something which they haven't.

Your bases for everyone on the dole not to receive cash was because you see people on the dole who spend their week drinking/heroine and neglecting their kids so come off it. Perhaps you should be more clear before pressing submit

Advertisement