Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Norris - Social welfare shouldn't be spent on alcohol

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I don't think the dole = fun free zone but I do agree with the sentiments of his statement. I too see people living in my area buying bags of cans all the God damn time while their kids run after them filthy and clearly in need of so much more than they are getting. It fcuking sickens me that these people can use the money that is given to them to support their family and instead use it to buy alcohol / heroin all week.

I firmly believe that there is no need to give people on the dole cash. I believe people on the dole should be given a card with cash credits which can only be used in certain places and for certain goods. They can save these cash credits and buy pretty much whatever they want. I would allow the card to be used in all major supermarkets, department stores, cinemas, petrol stations, utility providers etc etc but I would not allow the purchasing of certain items like alcohol and cigarettes (*above a certain limit each day*). The credits on alcohol I would not allow to be saved up and used in one go either.

Of course people would find loopholes by buying goods with their credit and selling it on for cash but so be it. It would be worth it in the long run I think as I feel restricting what benefits can be spent on would result in more kids getting fed better quality food and getting their day to day needs met in so many other areas too. These people buy cheap crap and shove it down their kids necks just so they can afford more alcohol / drugs. Kids go without so mammy and daddy can live the life of an alco or a junkie and it needs to stop. I am not suggesting that all people on the dole are either of these by the way but that's of minor importance as such a such a system, if done well, shouldn't hinder someone even if they were teetotal as they would still be able to buy whatever they want to buy, but there would just be small restriction on where.

Maybe make them wear bright green stars too, so they can be easily identified (yellows already been done)?

I'm not on the dole, nor ever have been been in my entire life, but for fcuks sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

jimgoose wrote: »
    Are they allowed a tincture on Christmas Eve with the nice people, or should they be out shining shoes to supplement their gruel and black bread? :pac:

If they are out shining shoes they should not be on the dole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    Yeah, definitely. If there's another recession and thousands lose their jobs then I don't want them bastards affording anything except the bare minimum needed for survival. I don't give a **** how much PRSI they've paid, I don't care if it wasn't their fault that they lost their job, I don't care if there are less jobs then there are working adults. All of that is completely irrelevant as long as the people who still have jobs get the warm fuzzies from knowing that welfare payments won't cover anything recreational at all.

Isn't that exactly what the dole should be??? The dole should be the bare minimum to force people to get back working. It shouldn't be a lifestyle choice that you can comfortably live on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Swiftly

I firmly believe that there is no need to give people on the dole cash. I believe people on the dole should be given a card with cash credits which can only be used in certain places and for certain goods. .

Under your scheme are they allowed to purchase toiletroll to wipe their arse or is that out the question as well. Do they need a permission slip or is not "certain" enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Isn't he claiming disability benefir himself. Don't think he's worked a proper job in years so he's getting social welfare himself. However I do agree a a little with his statement. The local pub close to me is always busy during the day and I'd say 75% of those in there pinting and bettin on the horses are on the dole...

Dunno if he still is but he did for 16 years while he was still working full time as senator

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/norris-claimed-disability-payments-for-16-years-26779206.html

And why do you agree with what he says? He's not saying that people on long term unemployment or system gamers shouldn't be allowed to drink in pubs all day, he's saying that nobody on benefits should be allowed to buy drink full stop. It's nothing but classist bullcrap, which is a bit rich coming from a guy that pretends to be all about equality etc. Hypocritical little worm of a man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

I agree with him to a certain extent. I don't think people should be completely barred from buying alcohol but if you are too poor to support yourself then there's no reason you should expect to be out drinking every weekend. If you are then maybe the state is giving you too much to survive. There's plenty of people who work full time can't afford a session every weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

Part of Norris' problem is that the slabs are costing very little, but what he was really giving out about was his tax paying for it. He should be pleased the cans are cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

What a stupid comment.

What would people on the dole do all day otherwise?

apply for and attend job interviews?

stand at teh GPO every single night, you will see the soup and sandwich run. Look at how many recipients of this service will walk up for their free meal while wearing nike and adidas runners and tracksuits while smoking and carrying a can.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

An alternative to banning those on social welfare from buying alcohol is to tax it out of their league effectively meaning only those with stable jobs can drink.

• Advertisement

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    An alternative to banning those on social welfare from buying alcohol is to tax it out of their league effectively meaning only those with stable jobs can drink.

It's not a good alternative though.

thee glitz wrote: »

It's better than what we have now.

Don't get me wrong. I'd prefer recipients were given a special debit card that couldn't be used to buy alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,986 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

thee glitz wrote: »

Neither suggestion is a good idea at all

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Is that you Leo?

Neither suggestion is a good idea at all

What other option isn't a good idea - a coupon / card system?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

esforum wrote: »

stand at teh GPO every single night, you will see the soup and sandwich run. Look at how many recipients of this service will walk up for their free meal while wearing nike and adidas runners and tracksuits while smoking and carrying a can.

And they make what percentage of the population?

esforum wrote: »

Would you prefer them to be naked? Or wear a grass/twig ensemble. Imagine homeless people with clothes attending the soup sandwich run. What an outrage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Swiftly wrote: »
    Would you prefer them to be naked? Or wear a grass/twig ensemble

I think they are simply pointing out that these undesirables tend to be sporting fairly expensive attire despite their circumstances.

EazyD wrote: »
    I think they are simply pointing out that these undesirables tend to be sporting fairly expensive attire despite their circumstances.

Maybe they bought them in a charity shop? Maybe they were donated/given to them? Maybe they bought them before they fell on hard times. It's not like they're wearing prada or dolce. It's just pure moany stuck up judgemental I hate my life let's make as many people miserable as possible with me crying about every little thing.

If you look at a group of homeless people and your thought is Oh they wearing Adidas how dare they. Then you're beyond help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

A bag of cans never hurt anyone :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

mikeym wrote: »
    A bag of cans never hurt anyone :D:D:D

Unless you got a smack o'them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

its a bit laughable that a senator and former academic is giving out about people wasting tax payers money.

Maybe they bought them in a charity shop? Maybe they were donated/given to them? Maybe they bought them before they fell on hard times. It's not like they're wearing prada or dolce. It's just pure moany stuck up judgemental I hate my life let's make as many people miserable as possible with me crying about every little thing.

If you look at a group of homeless people and your thought is Oh they wearing Adidas how dare they. Then you're beyond help.

I don't think you can draw a parallel between depression and frugality, though no doubt it helps your argument to do so.

All we're asking for are debut cards that can't be used to buy alcohol, cigarettes and a few other items I'm sure we can work out. It's a fairly simple and responsible suggestion.

I don't think we can draw a parallel between anything you said and relevance, though no doubt it helps your argument

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Yogurt knitting good for nothing supercilious idiot.

It has nothing to do with my happiness, it's a simple observation. Perhaps your right, it's just a pure coincidence that they take to air max like a moth to the light.

I don't think we can draw a parallel between anything you said and relevance, though no doubt it helps your argument

No? I don't think it's unreasonable to place conditions on free money. If the recipient chooses he can refuse the money and his freedom to do so will be respected.

EazyD wrote: »
    It has nothing to do with my happiness, it's a simple observation. Perhaps your right, it's just a pure coincidence that they take to air max like a moth to the light.

Simple indeed. Didn't mention your happiness just said you're one of those ultra moany whingers. You look at a group of homeless people and you're outraged that they're wearing addidas and nike, if that's your thought process you're a heartless miserable being.

No? I don't think it's unreasonable to place conditions on free money. If the recipient chooses he can refuse the money and his freedom to do so will be respected.

Luckily your opinion doesn't mean diddly squat and they can spend it however they like

• Advertisement

Simple indeed. Didn't mention your happiness just said you're one of those ultra moany whingers. You look at a group of homeless people and you're outraged that they're wearing addidas and nike, if that's your thought process you're a heartless miserable being.

And your a purveyor of assumptions. You assume that is my mindset. However again I will point out that it is merely an observation, whether you feel I was insinuating such or not is irrelevant.

Advertisement