Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,839 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

ED E wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0119RCQWW/

Cost me £19.99 when I bought it a few years back with 8 quid P&P. Now has a 22" and a 27" on it.

Thanks that looks like it'd do the job. Was looking at one with gas powered arms but don't think I need that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

BArra wrote: »
    hows the ips glow on the gl850?

Ok just wanted to give a little bit extra on this,was messing around with phone camera exposure levels to try get a few shots that can give an impression of the glow the monitor has.

This is with the exposure right down to give an impression of where the worst of the glow is

512860.jpg

This next one gives a better indication of what it looks like with the naked eye although the camera still does exagerate the effect

512861.jpg

The bottom left isnt great,it is just about noticable in dark scenes in game. Most of the time its fine but when you hit a mostly black screen it can be seen,of course knowing its there im looking for it. One of those things that cant be unseen:P

Bit of a bummer as the rest of the panel is fine

What do people reckon? Anyone else have better or worse?

Gonna play around for a week then decide weather its worth returning

EoinHef wrote: »
    Ok just wanted to give a little bit extra on this,was messing around with phone camera exposure levels to try get a few shots that can give an impression of the glow the monitor has.

This is with the exposure right down to give an impression of where the worst of the glow is

512860.jpg

This next one gives a better indication of what it looks like with the naked eye although the camera still does exagerate the effect

512861.jpg

The bottom left isnt great,it is just about noticable in dark scenes in game. Most of the time its fine but when you hit a mostly black screen it can be seen,of course knowing its there im looking for it. One of those things that cant be unseen:P

Bit of a bummer as the rest of the panel is fine

What do people reckon? Anyone else have better or worse?

Gonna play around for a week then decide weather its worth returning

I never even checked mine :/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

I went with the Thicc 3 pro a few weeks back but XFX don't look to be supplying the 14 Gbps BIOS for their older 12 Gbps models.

However, the bios from the newer models worked fine. There's a BIOs switch on the card so wasn't too worried about applying them:
    Link to TPU Thread

In benchmarking I got 450 more points in Time Spy over stock. I also ran Furmark for 10 mins and my memory temps were about 84 degrees which is pretty reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Got my case today! Well tonight in a late delivery so apologies for the quality of the pictures.

Its a Bequiet Pure Base 500 DX White and its very well finished. I'd say the air flow will be fantastic. But think aio over air for the style of the case.

I might get the courage to build it over the weekend although Im nervous as it's been years.

Can't wait to see the sapphire nitro plus 5700xt se in there but I'm waiting for an aio and need to order monitor.

So much for a budget build! :rolleyes:

VYKwFTd.jpg

qlDlcOU.jpg

nAVud0L.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭Inviere

amadablam wrote: »
    Its a Bequiet Pure Base 500 DX White

I'm strongly considering that same case for my next build. Either that or the Lian Li Lan Cool II Mesh, but I'm leaning toward the 500DX. Lovely looking imo

It's a belter of a case. So easy to build in. Plenty of room and very clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Inviere wrote: »
    I'm strongly considering that same case for my next build. Either that or the Lian Li Lan Cool II Mesh, but I'm leaning toward the 500DX. Lovely looking imo

Cheers Grahamer72 has experience of both the Lian and the DX so he'll guide you right

Im delighted with this case. It's gorgeous too

Anyone looking for a set of amazing headphones for gaming the below are going for a really good price.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Q7S7247/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_apa_i_gbNVEbAR9BNGE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,136 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Anyone looking for a set of amazing headphones for gaming the below are going for a really good price.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Q7S7247/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_apa_i_gbNVEbAR9BNGE

Now thats tempting!

I got a pair of AKG k702 about a year or so ago, and while there was a alot of ****e and messing with some amp thing I got recommended to get(it sits in a drawer since it causes my PC to bluescreen) I've noticed the left earcup dropping sound, think its broke.

That's a tempting price for a great headphone

*Actually see in the frequently bought together it has the amp I have. Biggest load of ****e I ever bought. No idea what it was meant to do. Think it was explained how I'd need it to run the headphones, but they've ran fine (until I guess now being broken, but thats me throwing them :D ) but all it ever did was bluescreen my PC. The USB connection on it was rubbish as well frequently just not sitting the cable right at all and sound just dropping entirely

Support forums and internet littered with the problem

That's a strange one. I used have that Fiio myself and never encountered any problems.
    I use the Fiio K5 Pro now and no strange happenings.

Those Senny's are low ohm's so you shouldn't need an amp/dac for them. Half decent onboard should do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,905 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Any mysql people around, id like to get advice on a query :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Headshot wrote: »
    Any mysql people around, id like to get advice on a query :)

lqyCnuF.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 53,905 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

lol didnt mean it to be a badum moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

TheDoc wrote: »
    Now thats tempting!

I got a pair of AKG k702 about a year or so ago, and while there was a alot of ****e and messing with some amp thing I got recommended to get(it sits in a drawer since it causes my PC to bluescreen) I've noticed the left earcup dropping sound, think its broke.

That's a tempting price for a great headphone

*Actually see in the frequently bought together it has the amp I have. Biggest load of ****e I ever bought. No idea what it was meant to do. Think it was explained how I'd need it to run the headphones, but they've ran fine (until I guess now being broken, but thats me throwing them :D ) but all it ever did was bluescreen my PC. The USB connection on it was rubbish as well frequently just not sitting the cable right at all and sound just dropping entirely

Support forums and internet littered with the problem

I've that Fiio E10k dac and its been fantastic for me, solid connection, good sound and drives my Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones well. You must have got a dud.

One of my nephews is hounding me to put together a build for him. Solid 1080p gaming with upgradeability.
    Do you reckon i should wait for B550? He wants a Ryzen system and anything i put together is too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

I wouldn't worry too much about B550M and future compatibility at all in a budget build.

By the time Ryzen 3600 is obsolete it will probably be time to move on anyway. Or, if core performance remains decent but games demand even more than 6c/12t due to the consoles, a 3700X will be available for likely pretty small money.

Homelander wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry too much about B550M and future compatibility at all in a budget build.

By the time Ryzen 3600 is obsolete it will probably be time to move on anyway. Or, if core performance remains decent but games demand even more than 6c/12t due to the consoles, a 3700X will be available for likely pretty small money.

The only other thing now is a 5700XT or 2060 Super.
    I'd probably go with Nvidia but i think he has his heart set on all AMD.

Much of a muchness?

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

I just got a couple of new monitor arms, given I've suffered from neck pain in the past and I'll be working from home until the middle of August by the sounds of it.

So much better than a regular stand.

513273.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

I can't comment on the current state of the drivers, but the 5700XT was plagued with issues on launch and for a long time after, for quite a large amount of people.

On paper I would prefer the 5700XT but for the reasons above and my own experience, I'd probably go RTX2060 Super. Worth checking out with people who did suffer all the problems as to what the current state of the drivers is.

Obviously people who had configurations which for some reason or other were immune to the issues won't be much help. I know even a few people here on this forum had the card and lots of issues, but a few returned them. (myself included)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I've had a 5700 XT since near launch and never had or even have issues with it. I even tried a couple of games someone on here had issues with and the games ran perfect for me.

I've had a 5700 XT since near launch and never had or even have issues with it. I even tried a couple of games someone on here had issues with and the games ran perfect for me.

I'd just be afraid he'd run into issues and i'd have to try sort them out for him.
    I'll see what he thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I started up The Division 2 the other day and had issues. Turns out when you havent launched the game in awhile the anti cheat gets messed up,when the anti cheat launches just before the game it sets off malware detection within windows defender causing some sort of conflict.

This will spike CPU to 100% and slow the PC to a crawl,I was sure it was going to crash. This is with a 9700K at 4.9ghz aswell so it's really hammering it. Happened 3 times in a row.

The solution was to find the the install folder,find anticheatsetup.exe,run it then select repair.

I know some were having issues with Ubi games so just thought I'd post this. The way it pins the CPU instantly id say could easily cause crashes or find some weakness In an overclock.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

I'm in the same camp. I've mine since the start of September, and it's been a nigh-on flawless experience for me.

With one exception though - having hardware acceleration enabled in the browser used to cause BSODs but I believe the 19.10.2 driver solved that for me though.

I'm thinking of the 5600 for him now. Anyone have one?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

z0oT wrote: »
    I'm in the same camp. I've mine since the start of September, and it's been a nigh-on flawless experience for me.

With one exception though - having hardware acceleration enabled in the browser used to cause BSODs but I believe the 19.10.2 driver solved that for me though.

You reminded me. The early drivers I had were fine with Hardware acceleration enabled for me but I updated to a driver one time and it would cause a black screen in Google chrome in Facebook but all I had to do was close the Facebook tab and everything would be fine so I just disabled Hardware acceleration for a while until a newer driver was released and I was able to enable hardware acceleration again and I have had it enabled since then without any issues.

But as I said previously I could play all the games I play without issues since I got the card and I even tried games that were causing issues for a guy on here and I could not replicate his issues.

I'm thinking of the 5600 for him now. Anyone have one?

How much is a 5600? KoKiki posted a 5700 in the Bargain thread earlier for £310 which seems a great price.

Yea saw that. It's an MSI though. Not a fan of their products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Yea saw that. It's an MSI though. Not a fan of their products.
    Regardless, their Gaming X cooler is top 3 among AMD cards.

Advertisement