Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice - Bastille day **mod warning post 1**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Jesus just read 60+ dead and up to 150 more injured! :eek: Surely there must have been involved in it than just the lorry (i.e. guns or a bomb) ... I don't mean to be graphic, but there's no way a lorry could plough through THAT many people? Could it?

A big enough crowd and a high enough speed and it might.

The bullet holes on the lorry look like they were shots towards the lorry not from it. If they were from within they wouldn't be as spread out.

Of course he could have exited and shot then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Jesus, I used to live on an estate that was about 25% Muslim, I must be lucky to still be alive.

It's not necessarily the area or demographics. It's the economic circumstances, local imams etc. Last year Austria blocked foreign funding of religious buildings, mostly due to the Wahabbist ideology that was being spread by Saudi-funded imams in Saudi-funded mosques. There was an article in New York Times last month about how radicalised Kosovo has become due to the investments Saudi has made in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

This could end up much worse that the Paris attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Rip, awful news

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

remember this time last year the massacre on the beach in Tunisia, these people are ruthless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I'm in France following the news. Not 4 trucks. Probably 60 dead at least. Driver definitely dead, an armed accomplice had taken refuge in a restaurant and has been "neutralized". Locals definitely mention gunfire as well as the truck deliberately swinging left and right to hit people as it went, a local man guessed at around 80 kmph.

Horror again, no other words.

Jesus just read 60+ dead and up to 150 more injured! :eek: Surely there must have been involved in it than just the lorry (i.e. guns or a bomb) ... I don't mean to be graphic, but there's no way a lorry could plough through THAT many people? Could it?
    Sadly, it is very easy to kill many this way, in a confined space and a lorry going at speed, people simply can't get out of the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Poor Nice my commiserations for the people of that besieged city and of French people everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Sadly, it is very easy to kill many this way, in a confined space and a lorry going at speed, people simply can't get out of the way.

People probably died without even being hit by the lorry in the subsequent panic and crush.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,426 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Shocking stuff.

Human beings really are the worst creatures on earth.
    Totally pointless deaths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,382 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Anything directly pointing towards ISIS or could it be some looper(s) with one too many games of GTA under their belt? (serious question)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭Sand

That's simply not the case. I'll give three examples - Kenyan mall massacre, recent Bangladesh restaurant massacre, and Nairobi hotel attack - where the jihadists literally separated the Muslims and non-Muslims and asked them to recite the Qu'ran or answer Islamic trivia. Those who failed in all three of those events were tortured and killed.

ISIS have killed more Muslims than non-Muslims, and I doubt that when their gunmen were spraying bullets into the crowd at Bacalan they were such good shots that they would only hit non-Muslims and bad Muslims.

Christ - the Muslim policeman who was executed (there is no other word) whilst he laid bleeding on the street by the terrorists in the 'Je Suis Charlie' attacks wasn't asked for his Koranic qualifications.

At some point you have to recognise - these guys simply do not care about the things you care about. They are not you. They do not care about you. You cannot reason with them. You cannot bargain with them. You kill them or they kill you. That is the limit and extent of your interaction with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

Is it becoming clear yet that increasing the number of muslims in europe is not going to be good for european society. Its been clear to me and many others for a long time.

Anything directly pointing towards ISIS or could it be some looper(s) with one too many games of GTA under their belt? (serious question)
    Someone posted earlier that "ISIS" claimed responsibility, nothing official as far as I know.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Fire right beside the Eiffel Tower atm after truck with fireworks ignited. Not terror related according to police.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/108410/391791.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭mvron

My sister left Nice this morning - I can't imagine what it is like for people living and visiting there tonight. I can't see ANY justification for the slaughter of people in this way. There is no justification for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭blackwave

Sky now saying that 60 dead with the driver dead and a possible accomplice on the run.

testicles wrote: »

Means nothing.

ISIS are not an international organisation with a complex chain of command.

Any headcase in any country can claim loyalty and attack and then ISIS claim it as their own initiative as happened in Florida recently.

Local hospitals overwhelmed and makeshift hospitals set up according to an eye witness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Can't believe this is happening so feckin often. Really fed up with this crazy world.

Just checked in with my aunt and uncle who live in Aix-en-Provence and often go to Nice for trips. Luckily they are safe and out were out with friends in Aix and didn't know anything about it until I text and emailed them to check up on them.

Heartbreaking news once again. Not sure I can handle much more of this crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,382 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

testicles wrote: »
    Someone posted earlier that "ISIS" claimed responsibility, nothing official as far as I know.

It's frightening the level of basic resources such an attack takes, very little police can do about it.

ISIS are not official either so what are you looking for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

60 dead and 100 injured at the moment. Off to bed now, thoughts are with the people of Nice tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

Seems to be some commotion by Eiffel Tower - some on twitter saying its a truck carrying fireworks on fire.

mvron wrote: »
    My sister left Nice this morning - I can't imagine what it is like for people living and visiting there tonight. I can't see ANY justification for the slaughter of people in this way. There is no justification for this.

Such a relief for you that it was this morning she left, my own sister and her family went to Nice a few years ago, glad they are sticking to Spain these days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 267 ✭✭El Chapo

Christ, what in the name of fuck are idiots doing on Twitter? Posting pictures of dead and maimed people whose families most likely have no clue they are involved.

Zero cop on whatsoever.

Social media really lets itself down at times like this. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

It's frightening the level of basic resources such an attack takes, very little police can do about it.

If you're willing to die, you can take a lot of people with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

They're no words.

Rip to all dead

I mean to get a gun is bad, but to actually knock so many people down you must be some ****ed up brut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭blackwave

Yeah it is, all it takes is someone that is determined to cause harm and that they have no care for their own life.

Advertisement