Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold: Snow/Ice - Sat 17th March Onward - READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

eb3fhx.jpg

Monasterevin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Dcully wrote: »
    eb3fhx.jpg

Monasterevin

That's not going anywhere anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Periscal

This is turning out to be memorable event now, been out for a walk up around the hill of west Wicklow, on the way back measured 16cm of level snow! and still coming down like crazy, I love snow and the crunch under my feet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Looking at whales and that snow band seems to be making steady progress towards eastern Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭revelman

Snowing here for last hour but nothing sticking. I never thought I’d say this but after Emma I’m glad it’s not sticking. Might go out for a drive soon :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Didn't think I would be back on this forum so quickly, but for the record, here is the current status at Ice Station Kilo (Kilpedder), North East Wicklow.

10:30hrs

Currently snowing heavily - depth 3.5cms on flat surface
    Big flakes of wetter snow than during Storm Emma
    Temp -1.1 c
    Pressure 1006 hPa, steady

Visibility is bad at times during heavy fall

Christmas tip - take a photo of your house now for a custom greeting card next Christmas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

Roads aren’t too bad at the moment. Housing estates will be the worst soon unless people either make tracks or clear snow. Drive slow and with Headlights on! Don’t know how anyone is driving without them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Heavy snow in north east meath, sick of it now, no football again today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭deadduck

Newbridge now, fluffy flakes have just stopped falling, but there’s still fine stuff coming down

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

Just started west limerick city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

Been snowing consistently in Donabate for a few hours but ground/grass not completely covered and only accumulating where wind is blowing into corners. When it eases off the roads & paths are thawing quickly. Also bit more of a sleetish look to it in the last while. I’d say if the showers stop this will thaw fast here but still lovely to look at for the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    whoa big fat flakes here in cork. blizzard!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya it's heavy here west of the city. But I could do with it fecking off. I have had enough snow for one year. Have things to do

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Depth at 10 am still 3 cm at Casement and 2 cm at Dublin Airport

• Registered Users Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭highdef

Should be Red for Kildare at least. I'm snowed in again.
    Nowhere near snowed in conditions in North Kildare. Also, despite being about 40km from the sea and an air temperature of -0.4, there's a very obvious thaw occurring on many hard surfaces caused either by the ground itself bring relatively warm and/or wet bulb temperatures being not ideal. I would say it's the former though.

Another hour or so before the clearance on the radar reaches the east coast. Light snow not picked up by the radar will still continue but no further accumulations likely by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,127 ✭✭✭pad199207

It’s bad in Naas again this morning according to the father. Good covering here in D20

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MissMoc

It has been snowing constantly for almost two hours now outside Tullamore. It is still below freezing but there is less snow lying now that at 8am. How is it thawing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Really impressed by the level of snow in dublin 5. Right on the coast and accumulating on the roads and everything. Wasn’t expecting that. Find it hard to believe 2cm at dublin airport, that must be an error. There appears to be more than that on the coast

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Nothing in Athlone only teeth chattering windchill, hot whiskey day whilst reading other postings with envy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

highdef wrote: »
    Nowhere near snowed in conditions in North Kildare. Also, despite being about 40km from the sea and an air temperature of -0.4, there's a very obvious the occurring on many hard surfaces caused either by the ground itself bring relatively warm and/or wet bulb temperatures being not ideal. I would say it's the former though.

In Kilcock and would be loath to drive without snow tyres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

about 7/8 cm.in Dublin 15 and hammering down still.

Really impressed by the level of snow in dublin 5. Right on the coast and accumulating on the roads and everything. Wasn’t expecting that. Find it hard to believe 2cm at dublin airport, that must be an error. There appears to be more than that on the coast

2 cm on an open level area, away from drifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Very lightly snowing cork city. Not really sticking.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

Another hour or so before the clearance on the radar reaches the east coast. Light snow not picked up by the radar will still continue but no further accumulations likely by then.
    Is it not heavier near the coast due to the lake effect having built up some momentum?

So what will make it stop? Temps are not really rising? ME think heavy till 1800 ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Snow only light now in Waterford City and can see a thaw going on. Even though the sun is not out it still radiates through the clouds this time of year. Temp is 0.7c DP -1.6c

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭esposito

Could they pick up in intensity again later in the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭deadduck

deadduck wrote: »
    Newbridge now, fluffy flakes have just stopped falling, but there’s still fine stuff coming down

That didn’t last, heavy flakes falling again!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

My daughter had to drive 70km this morning from Portlaois to our home here in West Offaly.No gritting done in Laois,but well done to Offaly County Council for gritting the roads almost all the way from the Laois border.Notice I said almost all the way,the country roads completely ignored every time as if we just didn't exist in rural Ireland.We are so badly prepared for any sort of bad weather in this country.Local farmers with tractors and the thaw were the only gritters we had here after the recent storm,disgraceful and just not good enough.

Is it not heavier near the coast due to the lake effect having built up some momentum?

So what will make it stop? Temps are not really rising? ME think heavy till 1800 ?

It's nothing to do with surface temperature. Upper levels (700-500 hPa) have warmed significantly so the showers are becoming shallower and lighter. Still some stuff to go between now and the clearance, but behind that not much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

2 cm on an open level area, away from drifts.

Even on flat, that cannot be right. So much snow has fallen over the past 3 hours, it has been relentless

Advertisement