Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold: Snow/Ice - Sat 17th March Onward - READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

above freezing now, 0.1c, very light snow.
    I suppose the high sun above the clouds can still have an effect with the equinox only days away.
    0.2c now

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭IQO

Currently the garden in Dublin 16.

Mr63pVf.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,136 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Light sun snow here in West Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Muinteoir2018

Roads around Gorey not good. Several posts on local pages here with pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

IQO wrote: »
    Currently the garden in Dublin 16.
    That's one enormous garden!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Even on flat, that cannot be right. So much snow has fallen over the past 3 hours, it has been relentless

Send MÉ an email highlighting the clear error by the observer. And by the one at Casement...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Up near the killarney road and around 3.5cm so far.
    Just measured 7cm in our back garden here in Bray. We're at about the highest point just off the Herbert Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

highdef wrote: »
    Nowhere near snowed in conditions in North Kildare. Also, despite being about 40km from the sea and an air temperature of -0.4, there's a very obvious the occurring on many hard surfaces caused either by the ground itself bring relatively warm and/or wet bulb temperatures being not ideal. I would say it's the former though.

I'm talking about snow depths exceeding the 8cm accumulations required for Red warning and also the back roads I live on are now horrific.

My totals so far on flat in the open well exceed the requirements for Red.
    They may get rid of the figures from there definitions.

445853.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

That's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Winter tyres and it might be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

It's a real shame the Irish sea couldn't get going in earnest yesterday evening onwards as many had predicted - nearly everything here in D9 fell from 8am and on. Could have been some tasty totals but for mid March even these accumulations in the range of 5-10cm are not to be sniffed at.

The poster in Monsterevin did very well. He seemed to be in a sweetspot last night too and had a decent covering way before many posters. When the Irish sea is struggling and producing thin streams of snow showers it's all about luck. Even a few minutes down the road from me Kermit had settling snow by 2am last night and nada here.

Tapering off here in general in D9 and radar suggests the end is approaching. Can already tell there is a thaw going on underfoot, getting very wet under the snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Spent an hour or so out with the kids, brought them to deerpark on the sled. Barely a sinner out, virgin snow most if the way, and that was after 9am. Perfect weekend: grandslam, snow, bank holiday. Doesn't get any better

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Im liking the regneration of precip ahead of west of Angellsey- we need it all to go our way to stave off melt. It is March 18th after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Jojo37

Hope to be travelling through mallow in two hours time,do u think the roads will be ok at that stage or should I change my plans

The main roads should be fine. They were all gritted last night and it's been snowing here the past hour and a half and it's not sticking to the roads in my estate at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭revelman

I'm talking about snow depths exceeding the 8cm accumulations required for Red warning and also the back roads I live on are now horrific.

My totals so far on flat in the open well exceed the requirements for Red.
    They may get rid of the figures from there definitions.

445853.jpg

Did you do this on grass? Grass gives inaccurate recordings due to air pockets. Best place to measure is on a flat concrete surface where possible. Top of car, wheelie bin or outdoor table would also work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Light snow but there is an undeniable thaw going on. If it can hold on to tomorrow morning I'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Still snowing in Lucan although roads seems to be thawing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

Not measured on grass. Large concrete patio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Snowing constantly around the Curragh since 7, and that's on top of snow during the night. The Gardaí have recommended not using roads in the county unless absolutely necessary.

There will be a thaw going on on the roads- its almost impossible at this time of year at this hour unless you have +SN.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Even on flat, that cannot be right. So much snow has fallen over the past 3 hours, it has been relentless

I'm a mile from the airport as the bird flies and there's plenty of flat ground with only 2-4cm of snow. Take away walls and fences etc for the snow to catch onto with the wind and the accumulations get much less. My garden gradients from around 2cm up to maybe 7cm as it approaches the east wind exposed wall. Take that wall out and that gradient would then extend to the next wall. The airport is wide open for the most part, you'd imagine most if what was falling was being whipped up and carried elsewhere.

TBH measuring snow when it's windy is a pain in the hole. Some walls are covered, some arent. My neighbours car has plenty of snow, one parked in our yard perpendicular has barely a dusting. My back garden has twice the snow depth as our front garden. Where do you even start!

EDIT: As an aside, I really don't think roads will be too bad for driving. It's unlikely for their to be compacted ice under the snow on top. A quick walk on the side roads here where less cars are travelling and still covered in plenty of snow, tyre tracks going straight through to wet ground and cars flying around the place. Poor visibility at times is the only issue really - unless areas do have ice but unlikely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Im liking the regneration of precip ahead of west of Angellsey- we need it all to go our way to stave off melt. It is March 18th after all.

Was just going to post about that regeneration off Anglesey in the last frame of raintoday. Might not be all over in the next 30 minutes like I thought. Still seems to be lots of streamer activity off the North Sea into eastern Britain and thats a good 3 or 4 deg cooler than the Irish Sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭Speak Now

No end to the white gold falling in Waterford. Must be serious accumulations on higher ground. 10cm on the car but roads nice and clear with temps just above freezing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I've measured 3 cm on the level at the front of my house and 6 cm on my back garden table. Drifting up to about 12 cm at the walls.

Celbridge

7.5 hours until sunset :O

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭revelman

Not measured on grass. Large concrete patio.

Have you really had a 17cm fall accumulation of snow on a flat patio (not a drift up against a wall or something) in Kildare? That would be an extraordinary fall of snow in such a short period of time. Are you in a elevated position?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I probably exaggerated the thaw. It's thawing on some roofs but the roads are still the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Brother in Artane and has to travel to Sligo at some stage today....wouldn’t M50 and N4 etc be gritted and kept clear?......he’s not a great ‘snow’ driver.
    Is there much snow on routes in or out of Dublin from the NW?
    Thanks for any replies/thoughts.
    Journey not absolutely essential for him today but he def has to make it before tomorrow at 5pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

What's the world coming to ...only 677 people looking at this forum

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

White out with strong wind blowing in Limerick city atm ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Coming down fairly heavy again in Santry.

Advertisement