Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your Favourite Restaurant in Sligo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Xiney wrote: »
    Can't say I agree with Cafe Fleur.

Maybe it has improved (I went when it was still only a few weeks old) but I found the prices exhorbitant as well as unclear (they didn't have any sort of menu/board up, just fancy TVs with scrolling nonsense), the bread stale, the portion of meat & cheese woeful and the salad wilted.

Suppose I could try it again in case they were having an "off" day, but to be quite honest I have not been inclined in the least. Give me cafe society any day - great selection of great food at great prices.

I hate the advert for Cafe Fleur, it makes me want to smack my head off the wall........on about palm trees.....wtf!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

Was in the new restaurant in Cashelgarron last night. It's called 'Henrys' and worth a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

the henrys are just after leaving the crozon inn.
    it was always good food there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

Jabby wrote: »
    Was in the new restaurant in Cashelgarron last night. It's called 'Henrys' and worth a try.

what kind of food and what price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Tobergal Lane Cafe can be good- pan fried mackerel, with salad and crusty bread washed down with a pint of pale ale, menu can be a bit samey though, they have repainted it and it has a nice mellow feel now.

I had to come in and bump this thread as Mr Xiney and I just tried Tobergal Lane Cafe today for the first time.

First of all, it's absolutely LOVELY inside. Really really love the decor, although the outside does it no justice. (It makes me long for the day I get to decorate my own place and do it right instead of the what the crack addled monkey that decorated the house we're renting did.)

ANYWAY I had a goat cheese/spinach/sundried tomato wrap which was just about perfect, the wrap wasn't one of these cheap storebought tortilla things (which I've resigned myself to eating here) and a side salad. It was heavenly, very nicely prepared, wrapped up so no bits fell out, toasted just perfectly. I believe it was 6.95, and worth every penny.

I also had a coffee which was nice and strong. Nothing better than a good cup of coffee, and it came with a little individually wrapped biscuit too! *squee* I'm a sucker for them, what can I say...

Mr Xiney had the mature cheddar and chive sandwich on ploughman's white bread. I tell you, they put a fair whack of cheese in there for 4.50. I'm serious. Massive amount of cheese, and apparently it was lovely too.

The service was very friendly and helpful. Basically, I've found my new favourite lunch spot in Sligo, as the prices aren't much different from Cafe Society but the atmosphere is leaps and bounds ahead of it.

Also, they have some real Irish microbrew beers on tap from Carlow Brewing Co: O'Haras Celtic Stout, Curim Gold Celtic Wheat Beer, Molings Traditional Red Ale.

There's live traditional sessions every Saturday night starting at 10, so we're heading back tonight to try some of the beers!

Lovely spot, really. They need to do something about the outside though, it really never caught my eye. I'm nearly convinced it's my natural aversion to pink.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭slapbangwhallop

Love Yeats'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭DenMan

The Venue in Strandhill. The have a large dining area and a nice bar. They serve a lovely Catfish dish in tomato sauce with rice, very nice. You can also get a small or large portion of spicy chicken wings as a starter, yummy.

Highly recommended if you are out that way....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

DenMan wrote: »
    The Venue in Strandhill. The have a large dining area and a nice bar. They serve a lovely Catfish dish in tomato sauce with rice, very nice. You can also get a small or large portion of spicy chicken wings as a starter, yummy.

Highly recommended if you are out that way....:)

We are still wanting to try The Venue, everybody who talks about it are always raving about it..... one day......

Thanks for the review Xiney, glad to see the thread back on the front page. Could we maybe have this stickied?

To be honest, I don't think this thread is good enough to be stickied.

Perhaps a sticky of restaurant & attraction reviews would be in order, and we can copy some of the posts in here over :)

To be honest, I don't think this thread is good enough to be stickied.

Perhaps a sticky of restaurant & attraction reviews would be in order, and we can copy some of the posts in here over :)

That is an even beter idea!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,032 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Wahey!

Looks like King's Chinese Restaurant in Wine Street Car Park has re-opened.. after almost a year closed. Still the best Chinese in Sligo.

we tried the venue in strandhill, good size steak and a good one too! bit over priced for the type of food (really good pub grub) next time I go for mussles though, we had a few with our surf and turf and they were really good!

Did anynoe try the new restaurant above strandbar yet? its called good friends I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Didn't even know there was a new restaurant above the strand bar.

I know the Jade Garden Chinese is above it and also the Triskelll restaurant are above the Strand but I never heard anything about Triskell being closed down.

Somebody better try it out and give us a review....preferably you Xiney because we know how much detail you go into doing your reviews.:)

On another note,I think I know where im going for my takeaway tonight..thats right..Kings Chinese:D:D

My new favourite is the sushi bar!! We were there today with Xiney and we are sooooo happy that she found this little diamond!
    We couldn't decide what to have so the waitress sugested that the chef could do a selection, which was great because we tasted things we might not have gone for.
    We are going to try the restaurant part soon as well :D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Is there a restaurant called the Embassy in Sligo town? One of the lads at work was on about it - wondering if anyone else had any experience's with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

its a steakhouse by the river, nice room, ok value, the meat lacks consistency and is indifferent betimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

I am glad to read people saying good thing about Amy Chungs new sushi bar she has a lot of pluck for a little woman. Pity it is so small, the food is fantastic try the crispy duck soup noodles or deep fried seaweed.

What about Coach Lane? There were a few glowing reports earlier on in the year - is it still holding the torch?!

I can't stand any sort of fish cooked, nevermind raw :sick:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

What about Coach Lane? There were a few glowing reports earlier on in the year - is it still holding the torch?!

A lot would argue that it was the best in town!

Sushi does not equal raw fish. Sashimi equals raw fish.

This cafe (unfortunately) does not do Sashimi :(

(so everything is cooked, and there are plenty of things that don't have fish, the noodles or hong kong style baps for example. You should try the place out, it's excellent!!)

• Advertisement

sushi is not raw fish, the sushi they heave there is wonderfull. the eelsauce is the best. as for couch lane: I thought it was a waste of money. its pub grub for far to much money. liked the venue in strandhill beter and that was queit dear for pub grub! but it was nice and I cant say that frm coach lane.

Sushi does not equal raw fish. Sashimi equals raw fish.

This cafe (unfortunately) does not do Sashimi :(........................................You should try the place out, it's excellent!!)

Which place are you referring to Xiney? - the embassy or coach lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭summerdreamn

hi,

i've seen amy chung's sushi bar mentioned. we're heading to sligo tomorrow, would love name and location please. :)

thanks!

hi,

i've seen amy chung's sushi bar mentioned. we're heading to sligo tomorrow, would love name and location please. :)

thanks!

It's beside St.Stephen's Street car park but I'm afraid it's not open on Sunday - much to our disappointment. We were in Sligo town last Sunday and I have to say it was very difficult to get something to eat there, unless you want fast food (barf in my opinion) We ended u driving to the Venue in Strandhill where they serve food from 12.00 till late.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭summerdreamn

thanks, mrs t. i thought that might have been the case, being closed on a sunday :( next time!

thanks, mrs t. i thought that might have been the case, being closed on a sunday :( next time!

yah we try to eat there more aswell but we're busy during the week so that leaves only saturday:( I say it should be open 24/7!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Wester

I'm glad to see that people are becoming a bit more critical about coach lane; the comment about overpriced pub grub is spot on! Went there for a family meal earlier in the year and the service was poor, the food nothing special, and the price a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

There is a new place opening in Collooney Village, which I'm hoping will be nice.

'GUSTO'S' ..... Pizzeria/Take Away in one section (this is open at the monute), and a restaurant in the other section.....pretty big spot by the looks of it.

Sorry darealtulip. I didnt see your question. Henrys have a wide range of food, beautifully cooked and excellent value...Carvery for €9.95. Coach Lane standards and friendly staff but with realistic prices.

You will like it.

rgds,

Jabby

• Advertisement

Sorry darealtulip. I didnt see your question. Henrys have a wide range of food, beautifully cooked and excellent value...Carvery for €9.95. Coach Lane standards and friendly staff but with realistic prices.

You will like it.

rgds,

Jabby

sounds like we need to try that soon, thanks for the answer anyway, better late than never;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Bubbles08

I would have to say Yeats Tavern or the Manderin Court chinese. Its fab. So so gorgeous. Anyone who goes there has to love it. Proper chinese. yum yum!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 maltesersgirl23

Davis'!!!
    mmmmmm hungry thinking of it:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

for a good chinese i would vote on the place out in rosses point. i think its called rose garden. food is really nice. shame about the location. bit far out, but if you are in the area, well worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Must say Coach Lane does the trick for me:) Definately not fine dining(doesnt try to be either) but a great,warm rustic place to eat,also does very well for itself.I see some people have been criticising it but for me it holds its place as the best restaurant in the town. Steaks are great I think,some of the best pastas in Sligo too(try the Chicken Fiorentina,you won't regret it) and also like the good variety of specials they have.

On the other hand,when looking for fine dining,I find Montmarte in the Market Yard to be the only place truly one can go to. Not for someone on a budget,but food there is excellent. One bad point is the wait in there. The kitchen seems to be on a never ending go slow and when you are desperately hungry,I tend to become desperatly frustrated. I would reccommend booking an hour before you feel you would want to eat. In most cases I wait for an hour whilst there for my starter.

greetings wrote: »
    Must say Coach Lane does the trick for me:) Definately not fine dining(doesnt try to be either) but a great,warm rustic place to eat,also does very well for itself.I see some people have been criticising it but for me it holds its place as the best restaurant in the town. Steaks are great I think,some of the best pastas in Sligo too(try the Chicken Fiorentina,you won't regret it) and also like the good variety of specials they have.

On the other hand,when looking for fine dining,I find Montmarte in the Market Yard to be the only place truly one can go to. Not for someone on a budget,but food there is excellent. One bad point is the wait in there. The kitchen seems to be on a never ending go slow and when you are desperately hungry,I tend to become desperatly frustrated. I would reccommend booking an hour before you feel you would want to eat. In most cases I wait for an hour whilst there for my starter.

mon matre is the same price as coachlane. we got our food really quick and it was lovely, only pretty cold in the restaurant, they should turn that heater up a bit! If your easly cold put your Xmas jumper on!! Any one tried croam leech lodge (did I spell that right?) near castlebaldwin at the lough??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Blue Lagoon (obviously!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Coach Lane wins for me... I've never actually tried anything off their main menu (I'm not big into steaks), but their specials are always excellent. The ostrich fillet in particular. Plus they sell a decent sparkling cab sav wine for around €25.. most restaurants seem to sell only €50 bottles and upwards, and usually list them incorrectly as champagnes. Good service too.

Was there tonight with 3 friends & left the place not too impressed. I'd a Goats Cheese Parcel to start .. though if it was goats cheese in the pastry, then I'm a hunchback lesbian turk - it was marscapone! I was disgusted. It tasted Ok, but if I wanted bland, I'd have asked my mam to cook for me.

My main was Lamb in some kind of reduction jus thingy that allegedly had mint & wild mushroom. Well, the mushrooms hadn't been wild since probably before the recession as they were dried mushrooms and the mint must've went missing along with the FAS funding towards Castlebar's "meals on wheels" as it was non-existent.

I shared a dessert of a pear tart... it was essentially a thin wafer base with a huge dollop of cream & a few little slivers of pear wrapped round the cream mountain. "E" for effort & "D" for delivery.

The other diners were non too plussed either - complaints about the Gnocchi being bland, the fish of the day being overly salted & the Surf & Turf looked like something you'd see in an episode of Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares.. it arrived with a king prawn skewered into a tiny bit of steak with a piece of salmon sat beside it. No sauce either.

I dunno - it seems that the recession's hit their kitchen... the food itself wasn't too bad, but it used to be a hell of a lot better & if the prices haven't changed, then the standard of food should reflect that.

The service was still good & even after getting a free bottle of wine for our complaints, I'd think three times before spending my cash there any time soon.

we were there before the recession and it was pretty much the same, over priced pub grub is all I can say. It should be around the € 15 mark for a meal.

Was there tonight with 3 friends & left the place not too impressed. I'd a Goats Cheese Parcel to start .. though if it was goats cheese in the pastry, then I'm a hunchback lesbian turk - it was marscapone! I was disgusted. It tasted Ok, but if I wanted bland, I'd have asked my mam to cook for me.

My main was Lamb in some kind of reduction jus thingy that allegedly had mint & wild mushroom. Well, the mushrooms hadn't been wild since probably before the recession as they were dried mushrooms and the mint must've went missing along with the FAS funding towards Castlebar's "meals on wheels" as it was non-existent.

I shared a dessert of a pear tart... it was essentially a thin wafer base with a huge dollop of cream & a few little slivers of pear wrapped round the cream mountain. "E" for effort & "D" for del

The other diners were non too plussed either - complaints about the Gnocchi being bland, the fish of the day being overly salted & the Surf & Turf looked like something you'd see in an episode of Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares.. it arrived with a king prawn skewered into a tiny bit of steak with a piece of salmon sat beside it. No sauce either.

I dunno - it seems that the recession's hit their kitchen... the food itself wasn't too bad, but it used to be a hell of a lot better & if the prices haven't changed, then the standard of food should reflect that.

The service was still good & even after getting a free bottle of wine for our complaints, I'd think three times before spending my cash there any time soon.

I was watching a documentary last night about Eritrea and the suffering of little innocents, some of who haven't had a decent meal in all of their little lives. No decent living quarters, no clean water, threats of violence and intimidation in the air all of the time..... and then I read this post the first thing this morning and I feel like getting sick. What a vile and unjust world we live in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I shared a dessert of a pear tart... it was essentially a thin wafer base with a huge dollop of cream & a few little slivers of pear wrapped round the cream mountain. "E" for effort & "D" for delivery.

Well fair play for complaining in first place I am a disaster for not complaining when out.
    I was in a little place in Cavan Town a few weeks ago, pretty much the same menu as the Bistro, jam packed and food / service were excellent, two starters mains wine and one dessert for 60 euro. Best value I found in a long time I dont think we have anything like that here.

• Advertisement

Where does everyone go for lunch in town when eating out ?

I was in Yeats cafe not long ago was very impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,032 ✭✭✭✭Basq

bennyc wrote: »
    Somewhat outside town.. but Margaret's Cafe in Finisklin does the best fry in town I reckon.. every so often I treat myself at lunch to the small breakfast in there - rasher, fried egg, sausage, hash brown, beans, toast, glass of orange juice and a tea / coffee for €5.25.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I was surprised to get turned away from the Bistro Bianconi the other day...I know it says they are closed from 2.30-5.30pm, but the door was open and there were people in there eating and staff going around.

So we ended up having to go to Yeats in Drumcliffe...not that I'm complaining because it was lovely:D

bennyc wrote: »

I was in Yeats cafe not long ago was very impressed.

Was that Yeats cafe beside the waterfront? If so, we must've gone on the chef's off day.... We usually opt for the sushi in Sakura...... mmmm I feel a craving coming on! If you don't like sushi or are too chicken to try it :P they also have Hong Kong Style beef paninis that are really scrummy.

basquille wrote: »
    Somewhat outside town.. but Margaret's Cafe in Finisklin does the best fry in town I reckon.. every so often I treat myself at lunch to the small breakfast in there - rasher, fried egg, sausage, hash brown, beans, toast, glass of orange juice and a tea / coffee for €5.25.

I should have read that before now, I am just back from Daveys filling station with my feast for the desk. Any chicken filled roll, bap , wrap or sambo with salad , coffee or drink and crisps for 4.99.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Shells cafe in strandhill or (believe it or not) 4 lanterns do lovely fry ups

I seriously miss Tobergal Lane Cafe :(

Lovely place for lunch.

I was watching a documentary last night about Eritrea and the suffering of little innocents, some of who haven't had a decent meal in all of their little lives. No decent living quarters, no clean water, threats of violence and intimidation in the air all of the time..... and then I read this post the first thing this morning and I feel like getting sick. What a vile and unjust world we live in.

True, but it's very easy for people to sit back in their armchairs in their cosy houses & feel sympathetic for those in the 3rd world. It's another thing to actually do something about it.

I bet ya that by lunchtime, you'll be thinking more about your stomach than the plight of the suffering masses. An unjust world indeed.

Now, what's on the menu? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

was in davis valentines night and still good as ever food and service.

My better half tells me that the food in Hardigans is pretty decent & reasonably priced - and she's harder to please than me, so that's saying something!

• Advertisement
Advertisement