Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old TV programmes you liked but no one else remembers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭smilerf

Used to love transworld sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Spellbinder - parallel universe accessed by a schoolkid through the Australian bush.

Under the Mountain - creepy New Zealand programme about twins trying to stop shape-shifting monsters from conquering the Earth. Probably too scary for today's children's television.

Moondial

Children of the Stones - really unsettling

Earthfasts - time travelling and magic in the Yorkshire Dales

Eerie, Indiana

I do remember watching Children of the Stones in the 1970s. I don`t remember the others you mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Island Of The Great Yellow Ox. Had forgotten about this till someone mentioned it in a thread on AH. I know I saw it but memory of it is very hazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Island Of The Great Yellow Ox. Had forgotten about this till someone mentioned it in a thread on AH. I know I saw it but memory of it is very hazy.

I remember reading the book along with Macken's "Flight of the Doves" as a child, didn't know there had been a tv adaptation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Did you see it in 1971 or 1981?
    Anything Goes repeated it over three Saturdays for the latter.
    Great production.

Did you see it in 1971 or 1981?
    Anything Goes repeated it over three Saturdays for the latter.
    Great production.

Would have been 81.

Has Black Forest Clinic been mentioned? German medical soap which RTE showed late 80s. Appaling dubbing.

Has Black Forest Clinic been mentioned? German medical soap which RTE showed late 80s. Appaling dubbing.

RTE2 midweek filler mid 80s
    Some laugh

Remember a very shorted lived music talent show Gerry Ryan hosted circa 1998? It was filmed in Belfast (City Hall i think)so presumably RTE/UTV Co production. There was this trio of black female singers who did something between the acts. Not singing entire songs just going "ooooooh" or something linking the acts. They seemed to be there for no good reason other than black people were still considered exotic on Irish tv at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Remember a very shorted lived music talent show Gerry Ryan hosted circa 1998? It was filmed in Belfast (City Hall i think)so presumably RTE/UTV Co production. There was this trio of black female singers who did something between the acts. Not singing entire songs just going "ooooooh" or something linking the acts. They seemed to be there for no good reason other than black people were still considered exotic on Irish tv at the time.

For some reason I remember Gerry Ryan boasting on the radio after that show that he had used the gym in the hotel in Belfast every day, and lecturing everyone that there was no excuse not to keep fit no matter how busy you might be. What an inspiration he was if you ignore the Class A Drugs.

Samantha Mumba was a contestant on it, this isn't her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,703 ✭✭✭corks finest

I recorded this on TG4 which are showing it at the moment- i thought i'd be in for a treat having watched it as a kid but totally forgot what the acting/dialogue was like.

OMG, painful is not the word- a real "Oirish" programme- embarrassing is not the word- needless to say, it's well deleted from my playlist.

Liked it

fryup wrote: »
    what was that pop video show on rte that replaced mt usa?...it featured vox pops from the public before each video?

late 80's me thinks

Think I know what it was now. Finding Fax Future. There's a clip on YouTube but can't link as on phone.

The Truth About Claire, a drama_documentary shown on RTE in 1990 about a woman going to England for an abortion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭George White

You're A Star had a similar trio of female singers too.
    Who'd just go, "Oooh-whooo-oooh-whooo, ooh-whooo-hooo, you're a star!" every time before an act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Edge of Darkness BBC drama

https://youtu.be/2bfPS7p6Z1k

Hardcastle and McCormick

https://youtu.be/_oHpWw7L3d4

beauf wrote: »

A teacher of mine at the time gave out about that because it featured "firing shotguns into fellows faces" as he put it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭Worztron

Ah, I loved that show. :-)

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Joe Don Baker was brilliant in that
    Re-watched the DVD again a few months ago. What a series.

Small Potatoes, a sitcom Tommy Tiernan did with Channel 4 circa 1999. It was ok, not terrible but not great either. Not sure if the sitcom format really suited him.

fryup wrote: »
    what was that pop video show on rte that replaced mt usa?...it featured vox pops from the public before each video?

late 80's me thinks
    Think I know what it was now. Finding Fax Future. There's a clip on YouTube but can't link as on phone.

Here it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Thank you, i can sleep easy now :)

Does anyone remember Cross Country Quiz? I can vaguely remember it from late 70s. I think I was mixing it up in my head with Quicksilver for years after. If I remember correctly the theme music for CCQ was a squelchy moog arrangement that vaguely went like the "dum, Diddy dum" bit from GoodNess Graceous Me" (Peter Sellers/Sophia Loren song)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭smilerf

Nowhere Man
    I'm not saying people didn't like it because it's well regarded but didn't gain enough viewers for season 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I remember an English programme called Dear John, about a deserted husband.

madmaggie wrote: »

That was a great show, written by John Sullivan who did Only Fools And Horses. Well worth a look on Youtube.

There was also an American version with the same name.

Does anyone remember Cross Country Quiz? I can vaguely remember it from late 70s. I think I was mixing it up in my head with Quicksilver for years after. If I remember correctly the theme music for CCQ was a squelchy moog arrangement that vaguely went like the "dum, Diddy dum" bit from GoodNess Graceous Me" (Peter Sellers/Sophia Loren song)

Peter Murphy was the quizmaster
    Have one of the spin-off books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I had a couple of his quiz books as well

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

madmaggie wrote: »

Dear John
    Dear John
    By the time you've read these lines
    I'll be gone

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Dear John
    Dear John
    I'll be gone

Was one of the supporting characters a would be 60s pop singer who would sing his one "hit" the lyrics went something like?
    Don't leave me this way,
    Not on my birthday.

That's stuck in my head for some reason.

Was one of the supporting characters a would be 60s pop singer who would sing his one "hit" the lyrics went something like?
    Don't leave me this way,
    Not on my birthday.

That's stuck in my head for some reason.

Ha, ah yeah he was in the second series, great memory :) Ricky Fortune AKA Kevin Lloyd AKA Tosh from The Bill
    An ex-rock star who scored a 1969 one-hit-wonder entitled Not On My Birthday in Iceland with his group Ricky Fortune & the Fortunates. Upon his arrival to the 1-2-1 Club, he is mocked by Kirk for his anonymity but is instantly recognised by Mrs Arnott who, it transpires, is a lifelong fan; much to Kirk's annoyance

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dear_John_(British_TV_series)

Cant find a Youtube clip at the moment, the account I watched it on appears to be deleted :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭Booms

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Dear John
    Dear John
    I'll be gone

"Were there any . . . sexual? . . . problems?" :D

For some reason a long forgotten Northern Ireland political satire sketch type thing popped into my head. Mid to late 90s. It consisted of CGI animated caricatures of prominent Northern political figures, Paisley, Gerry Adams etc. The one for Gerry Adams would have him saying something about the peace process, reconciliation etc and a little man or maybe it was a head would pop out of his shoulder and say in a thick Nordie accent "use the force Gerry, use the force". Does anyone else remember this? I've a feeling they were short filler inserts for something else.

For some reason a long forgotten Northern Ireland political satire sketch type thing popped into my head...

"The Folks On The Hill" perhaps? Mostly written and voiced by Sean Crummy started out on Radio Ulster before moving to BBC1 NI.

_42242322_hill.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭standardg60

https://youtu.be/uOLGrXOtuwQ

The Invaders.
    Was on BBC2 on Friday evenings in the eighties, one of my favourite ever shows.

The only way to tell if someone was an alien was the fact that they couldn't bend their little fingers when gripping, something i copied and am in the habit of doing to this day.
    I have absolutely no idea how or why this has developed into a sign that someone is gay!

"The Folks On The Hill" perhaps? Mostly written and voiced by Sean Crummy started out on Radio Ulster before moving to BBC1 NI.

_42242322_hill.jpg

Yes that's it, those were the CGI caricatures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Streethawk - basically Knightrider on 2 wheels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Baseball72

https://youtu.be/uOLGrXOtuwQ

The Invaders.
    Was on BBC2 on Friday evenings in the eighties, one of my favourite ever shows.

The only way to tell if someone was an alien was the fact that they couldn't bend their little fingers when gripping, something i copied and am in the habit of doing to this day.
    I have absolutely no idea how or why this has developed into a sign that someone is gay!

I think that aired originally in the late '60's - was on rte...Roy Thinnes - think it ran for maybe one season - really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Baseball72

This is a great thread - must look back on previous postings when Boards returns to normal speeds...

The Trials of O'Brien - mid 60's. Starred Peter Falk as a lawyer.......played a very similar type character to Colombo which followed a few years later...some clips on YouTube - watched a clip a few weeks back (8 mins or so) of a young Alan Alda guest starring.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭Worztron

Baseball72 wrote: »
    This is a great thread - must look back on previous postings when Boards returns to normal speeds...

The Trials of O'Brien - mid 60's. Starred Peter Falk as a lawyer.......played a very similar type character to Colombo which followed a few years later...some clips on YouTube - watched a clip a few weeks back (8 mins or so) of a young Alan Alda guest starring.....

I love the Columbo films. That's the first time that I've heard of 'The Trials of O'Brien' TV show. Thanks.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

There's an Eighties show that I vaguely remember and nobody seems to know what I'm talking about. It's come to the stage that I'm starting to question if I dreamt it. Here's what I remember, it was I think a space themed gameshow, a bit like a galactic krypton factor or crystal maze. The end game involved attached hexagonal shapes where the human was blindfolded and would make moves to get across. If they failed, they would be left hitchhiking back to earth. Could have been a space monster during the end game. Think it always had a host that went on like yer man from Knightmare. Anyone any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Teachers on Channel 4.

I also remember a comedy on Sky called Titus which I recall liking, though it was probably terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Sam Hain wrote: »
    There's an Eighties show that I vaguely remember and nobody seems to know what I'm talking about. It's come to the stage that I'm starting to question if I dreamt it. Here's what I remember, it was I think a space themed gameshow, a bit like a galactic krypton factor or crystal maze. The end game involved attached hexagonal shapes where the human was blindfolded and would make moves to get across. If they failed, they would be left hitchhiking back to earth. Could have been a space monster during the end game. Think it always had a host that went on like yer man from Knightmare. Anyone any ideas?
    The adventure game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

From Wikipedia page.

The Adventure Game is a game show that was originally broadcast on UK television channels BBC1 and BBC2 between 24 May 1980 and 18 February 1986. The story in each show was that the two celebrity contestants and a member of the public had travelled by space ship to the planet Arg. Their overall task varied with each series. For example, the team might be charged with finding a crystal needed to power their ship to return to Earth. The programme is often considered to have been a forerunner of The Crystal Maze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Teachers on Channel 4.

I also remember a comedy on Sky called Titus which I recall liking, though it was probably terrible.

I remember Titus and liked at the time. As you say it's probably terrible. Also I used to love Shasta McNasty. It was on sky one at 10pm around 2000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

77 Sunset Strip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4kd3ojoFFA

One of the earliest American Detective shows I was allowed to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭George White

The Adventure Game.

Advertisement