Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old TV programmes you liked but no one else remembers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The Foo Foo cartoons

• Registered Users Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

B.J. And The Bear, about a truckdriver with a chimp for a buddy. RTE also reran Me And The Chimp which was an earlier show about a guy with a chimp co star. I had the two mixed up in my head for years.

Screen Test. RTE variety talent show that ran circa 1985/86. Presented by Mike Murphy. One of the acts on it were the Stargazers with a young John Spillane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

RTE Guide piece on the Burke enigma, November 78. Would I be right in guessing that the Burkes were based on the Dunnes (Of Larry Dunne etc infamy)?

73164329_2600632160165058_1992273348217798656_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_oc=AQmIlIg63b2DB9aqDTyD3REH1lWQHJsyaBsrpuGsmSxOcL_FZ6Bk75nul2uSq5trP5g&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=b8ff39740a2b2b1e5758225727945aa6&oe=5E169B6A

1970s Love/Hate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

An awful programme called Play The Game. It was based on charades.

• Advertisement

madmaggie wrote: »

It was hugely popular and must have ran for over a decade. Surprised to find that all there is of it online is one short clip of under a minute, and that just seems to be because some obscure comedian who was on it put it up (not David Kelly, the guy who comes on at the end).They had an awful lot of panto/variety types for guests, I remember not having a clue who half of them were.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭smilerf

The Lyrics Board
    Cringe fest

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Play the game was cheap broadcasting. It came on due to the success of the UK version with Lionel Blair and the UK version of unknown 'celebs'.

Give is a clue I think it was called

• Registered Users Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

madmaggie wrote: »

Ripped off 'Give us a Clue' from British TV, because we were incapable of coming up with anything ourselves.

Talkabout wasn't original either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Not sure if it has been mentioned already but does anyone remember The Spike, a late 1970s RTE produced series set in an Irish secondary school. It was taken off the air after half its run due to protests about its content and has never been rebroadcast since.

Yes. There was a nude scene through frosted glass...i think. Holy war broke out.

branie2 wrote: »
    Talkabout wasn't original either

They had an even more less impressive pool of contestants that Play The Game. The people who appeared on it were not random punters from what I recall but dull as dishwater small town business people, local "pillar of the community" folk and minor regional showbiz types. At least Play The Game had Derek Davis and the occasional entertaining guest.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

what was that pop video show on rte that replaced mt usa?...it featured vox pops from the public before each video?

late 80's me thinks

fryup wrote: »
    what was that pop video show on rte that replaced mt usa?...it featured vox pops from the public before each video?

late 80's me thinks

Video Gaga?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Video Gaga?

Was that not The Beat Box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭allimac

This is one of my favourite TV memories as a child, what I wasn't going to draw with my magic pencil! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxUIQt6jSws
    Also I rememember another eastern European cartoon that RTE showed regularly called Lolek and Bolek.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Video Gaga?

no, you're thinking of TV gaga
    Sardonicat wrote: »
    Was that not The Beat Box?

no that was sunday mornings.....the programme i'm thinking of was broadcast on rte2 midweek late at night

no that was sunday mornings.....the programme i'm thinking of was broadcast on rte2 midweek late at night

Electric Orange

Electric Orange

Doesn't ring a bell. Googling draws a blank other than a German band of the same name. Who presented it?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Foxtrotter wrote: »
    Little before my time, but I really like some of the old episodes of What's My Line. some really funny ones on Youtube.
    the US one has some good celebs, people you would not expect to be on like salvador dali

Sean Connery puts on a voice to stop being recognized

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

late 80's me thinks

I don't recall any night time music video shows on the 80s in Irish TV. Could it have been on one of the UK channels?

I remember a show called No Disco in the 90s. Presented by Donal Dineen, it featured 'alt' acts. That was late night.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

late 80's me thinks
    could be listed on wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_programmes_broadcast_by_RT%C3%89_2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MT-USA

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2014/0219/505138-mt-usa-irelands-first-music-video-programme/

Defenders of the Earth - Flash Gordon, The Phantom, Mandrake and Lothar taking on Ming the Merciless with their children.

The old Blondie films that RTE showed over 20 years ago as a season.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The old Blondie films that RTE showed over 20 years ago as a season.

I was obsessed with these.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Was that the show presented by the late Vincent Hanley?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

eviltwin wrote: »
    Was that the show presented by the late Vincent Hanley?

That was on MT USA which was on a weekend afternoon as far as I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

The Irish rm.
    Does anyone remember that.
    Neil toibin was in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭thereitisgone

Fame, think it was Saturday evenings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭Worztron

Worzel Gummidge (1979-1981) -- I remember loving this on days off from school.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Advertisement