Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dumb/Great Facebook Status {merge} [No Names]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

You'd swear that it was forced upon some people!

"What sorta **** is that programme the “estate“ can't believe I'm sitting here watching someone pick up rubbish. Iv such a sad life."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

EDIT: Double post, oops!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

A Muslim friend of mine posted this, I thought it was nice to see a different perspective, and did challenge my view point of Muslims, which I realised is very heavily media influenced...damn you 'Merica!

If you’re one of those people that think all Muslims are ‘terrorists’ or that Islam condones violence, then you should probably keep reading.

As your friend, who also just happens to be Muslim, I’d like to ask you to think back to that time when I, or anyone from my family, caused you pain or sadness. Oh wait, you can’t…perhaps because it has yet to happen. The last couple of days have been really sensitive and for the most part, extremely confusing. It breaks my heart to see so much crap about Muslims being terrorists and Muslims spreading hate and violence on my newsfeed, and a lot of it is from people I consider to be friends.

If you have any respect for yourself or for your consciousness and ability to logically think for yourself, then you wouldn’t believe everything you’re spoon fed by the media, which happens to be the most biased entity on earth right now. Don’t just accept facts and don’t just take what you hear or read to heart and then spread false information. I'm not telling you what to believe, just asking for you to be more conscious about what you see and understand.

The name and beauty of Islam has been mutilated by the media. Yeah, there are some pretty awful people in this world and yeah, some people do some awful things, and yeah some of those people happen to call themselves Muslims. But, as a Muslim who grew up with her mother teaching her the Quran from the moment she could read, and as your friend, I want to let you know that those people are in no way Muslim. Those are people who lost their way. If you read the Quran yourself before believing what other people who have never even touched it have said about it, you’ll see the monumental emphasis Islam places on preserving life, standing up against injustice, helping the orphans and the poor, granting women rights and you’ll also realize that killing is considered a major act of transgression. If you read the Quran back to front instead of watching the BS on CNN, you’ll face-palm and hate yourself for being so ignorant.

The thing is, there are all kinds of people in this world, all kinds of twisted mentalities and all kinds of evil. But if you start judging an ENTIRE group or race or religion based off of the actions of a select few, then that says a lot more about your mentality than it does theirs.

We’re so quick to blame other people but rarely take it upon ourselves to actually do some research, actually make an effort to find out what’s really going on. I urge you, as my friends, to either read the Quran yourself, or ask me about something before you believe what some random reporter on the news has to say about my religion.

Islam is about solidarity, about treating people with respect, about loving your friends and family more than you would yourself, it’s about finding yourself in a world that’s tainted and fuelled by arrogance and misery. Islam is by no means a religion that tells its followers to blow themselves up. Islam doesn’t tell me to kill anyone. It doesn’t tell me to force women (like myself lawls) to wear the hijab (headscarf) and it most certainly doesn’t tell me to hurt anyone in anyway.

All I ask is that next time you read or see something that calls Muslims terrorists, that you think rather than follow the masses of headless chickens. I ask that you actually care enough to be fair and I ask that you be honest with yourself and not let the media have that power over you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

danslevent wrote: »

If you have any respect for yourself or for your consciousness and ability to logically think for yourself....

It's a good piece, certainly good to see a response to ignorant comments that are too often made. With much needed perspective and a personal response so it will hopefully resonate with people more.

However if you had the traits in the above quote I don't believe you would associate yourself with the belief in a supernatural deity.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

A Muslim friend of mine posted this, I thought it was nice to see a different perspective, and did challenge my view point of Muslims, which I realised is very heavily media influenced...damn you 'Merica!

If you’re one of those people that think all Muslims are ‘terrorists’ or that Islam condones violence, then you should probably keep reading.

As your friend, who also just happens to be Muslim, I’d like to ask you to think back to that time when I, or anyone from my family, caused you pain or sadness. Oh wait, you can’t…perhaps because it has yet to happen. The last couple of days have been really sensitive and for the most part, extremely confusing. It breaks my heart to see so much crap about Muslims being terrorists and Muslims spreading hate and violence on my newsfeed, and a lot of it is from people I consider to be friends.

If you have any respect for yourself or for your consciousness and ability to logically think for yourself, then you wouldn’t believe everything you’re spoon fed by the media, which happens to be the most biased entity on earth right now. Don’t just accept facts and don’t just take what you hear or read to heart and then spread false information. I'm not telling you what to believe, just asking for you to be more conscious about what you see and understand.

The name and beauty of Islam has been mutilated by the media. Yeah, there are some pretty awful people in this world and yeah, some people do some awful things, and yeah some of those people happen to call themselves Muslims. But, as a Muslim who grew up with her mother teaching her the Quran from the moment she could read, and as your friend, I want to let you know that those people are in no way Muslim. Those are people who lost their way. If you read the Quran yourself before believing what other people who have never even touched it have said about it, you’ll see the monumental emphasis Islam places on preserving life, standing up against injustice, helping the orphans and the poor, granting women rights and you’ll also realize that killing is considered a major act of transgression. If you read the Quran back to front instead of watching the BS on CNN, you’ll face-palm and hate yourself for being so ignorant.

The thing is, there are all kinds of people in this world, all kinds of twisted mentalities and all kinds of evil. But if you start judging an ENTIRE group or race or religion based off of the actions of a select few, then that says a lot more about your mentality than it does theirs.

We’re so quick to blame other people but rarely take it upon ourselves to actually do some research, actually make an effort to find out what’s really going on. I urge you, as my friends, to either read the Quran yourself, or ask me about something before you believe what some random reporter on the news has to say about my religion.

Islam is about solidarity, about treating people with respect, about loving your friends and family more than you would yourself, it’s about finding yourself in a world that’s tainted and fuelled by arrogance and misery. Islam is by no means a religion that tells its followers to blow themselves up. Islam doesn’t tell me to kill anyone. It doesn’t tell me to force women (like myself lawls) to wear the hijab (headscarf) and it most certainly doesn’t tell me to hurt anyone in anyway.

All I ask is that next time you read or see something that calls Muslims terrorists, that you think rather than follow the masses of headless chickens. I ask that you actually care enough to be fair and I ask that you be honest with yourself and not let the media have that power over you.

It's funny how anyone who is a religious fundamentalist isn't a "real" Muslim/Christian/Jew/whatever once their actions descend into violence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

These gobsh1tes must be too young to remember the 9/11 bombings. 'Course that was way, way back in 2001, I suppose we could'nt expect morons to remember back that far, and that George Dubya was President

'' George Bush kept us safe for 10 years''
    Someone should tell her that Bush served 8 years, like every president

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Dafuk am I readn daaaa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

krudler wrote: »
    It's funny how anyone who is a religious fundamentalist isn't a "real" Muslim/Christian/Jew/whatever once their actions descend into violence.

Key word highlighted in your post there krudler. Violent people use religion as an excuse for their behaviour, those violent people are in a minority compared to the majority of decent people who just happen to be christian/jew/whatever as you put it; a bit like the minority of A+ atheists that just happen to pìss off the majority of decent atheists who aren't like them banging on about the same old shìte and dismissing those who aren't "atheist enough" (or falling in line with their agenda).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

coolhull wrote: »
    These gobsh1tes must be too young to remember the 9/11 bombings. 'Course that was way, way back in 2001, I suppose we could'nt expect morons to remember back that far, and that George Dubya was President

'' George Bush kept us safe for 10 years''
    Someone should tell her that Bush served 8 years, like every president

And someone should also tell her that GWB was in power during 9/11... (not that I'm saying another president would have prevented it, I'm just going by the same logic as the people who blame Obama for the Boston Bombings)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Read this and share !!

It’s been said, on the first day of their marriage, wife and husband decided and agreed not to open the door for anyone! On that day first, husband’s parents came to see them, they were behind the door. Husband and the wife looked at each other, husband wanted to open the door, but since they had an agreement he did not open the door, so his parents left. After a while the same day , wife’s parents came , wife and the husband looked at each other and even though they had an agreement , wife with tears on her eyes whispered , I can’t do this to my parents , and she opened the door. Husband did not say anything, years passed and they had 4 boys and the fifth child was a girl. The father, planned a very big party for the new born baby girl, and he invited everyone over. Later that night his wife asked him what was the reason for such a big celebration for this baby while we did not do it for the others! The Husband simply replied, because she is the one who will open the door for me!

Daughters are always so special !!

Please die.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

I'm ashamed to say I went to the same school as this guy. None of this is a joke :(

MMMAAAAAAASSSSHHHHEEEDDD HAHAHA

I can hear birdz tweetin in the treez outside my gaf nd its only 4. Wat the ****?

If ppl r getn off skool cuz ov the snow i tink i shud be allowed off work

Havin a shower nd singin along wit tunez nd my neighbour starts bangin on the wall. so i start banging back nd turn up the volume. **** u ya ****!

Tink im gonna havta gdt a new tattoo 2moro. I havnt got 1 since i wuz 13 nd im still dyin 4 a new 1

ere any1 doin anytin? Im in me gaf bored ou ov my tits drinkin canz nd poppin yokez. Let me know please

Any1 else find it funny wen ur mashed nd ur eyes start shootin side 2 side ou ov nower. Feelin it nd luvin it haha

Just got jumped by 2 lil ticks at ***** garage bu they failed so enjoy pickin ur teeth up matez

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I'm ashamed to say I went to the same school as this guy. None of this is a joke :(

I can hear birdz tweetin in the treez outside my gaf nd its only 4. Wat the ****?

Havin a shower nd singin along wit tunez nd my neighbour starts bangin on the wall. so i start banging back nd turn up the volume. **** u ya ****!

Tink im gonna havta gdt a new tattoo 2moro. I havnt got 1 since i wuz 13 nd im still dyin 4 a new 1

ere any1 doin anytin? Im in me gaf bored ou ov my tits drinkin canz nd poppin yokez. Let me know please

Any1 else find it funny wen ur mashed nd ur eyes start shootin side 2 side ou ov nower. Feelin it nd luvin it haha

Just got jumped by 2 lil ticks at ***** garage bu they failed so enjoy pickin ur teeth up matez

How old is this Fookin Moron?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

One fake smile can hide a million tears

Kill Yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

I'm ashamed to say I went to the same school as this guy.

When you say school do you mean play school?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

Course it is. That's why they have women cover themselves completely :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Or how about letting people form their own opinions on Islam? Sure, the mass hysteria caused by the media is ridiculous and I do feel sorry for the normal, law-abiding people who are the vast majority of Muslims. Most people who aren't complete idiots know that Muslim does not equal terrorist. But her post is very condescending. Please don't tell me what Islam is or isn't and how I'm allowed to feel about it. Please don't patronise me by telling me to think logically when you follow a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    Or how about letting people form their own opinions on Islam? Sure, the mass hysteria caused by the media is ridiculous and I do feel sorry for the normal, law-abiding people who are the vast majority of Muslims. Most people who aren't complete idiots know that Muslim does not equal terrorist. But her post is very condescending. Please don't tell me what Islam is or isn't and how I'm allowed to feel about it. Please don't patronise me by telling me to think logically when you follow a religion.

O RLY?*

(* I'm doing a patronising post about your patronising post about a patronising post in an attempt to create a patronising inception)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

How old is this Fookin Moron?

21! My friend is his manager in work, says he's nice and polite to customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

WTF is he planning :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Please die.
    Kill Yourself.

This kind of shíte is worse than some of the facebook status posts. Grow up and get a small bit of cop on ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

When you were in school together, how was his spelling?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

coolhull wrote: »
    When you were in school together, how was his spelling?

That's the thing that makes me wonder, a few of my friends on FB did honours English with me for the Leaving Cert and the way they spell is atrocious.

Now I'm not talking about typos, that happens to the best of us sometimes, but one of them (who got a B1 in honours English, so I know she's not dyslexic) constantly writes stuff like "I'm board" instead of "I'm bored", "quite" instead of "quiet" (then there's the whole "luk" (look/luck) "sez" (says) "cum" (come). She seems to habe forgotten the difference between "there, their and they're" (altough very often she just writes "der") and so on.

I don't get it, she was one of the smartest girls in the class maybe it's just her "Facebook mode", but she comes across as a right dense twat who can't even spell the simplest of words

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Apanachi wrote: »
    That's the thing that makes me wonder, a few of my friends on FB did honours English with me for the Leaving Cert and the way they spell is atrocious.

Now I'm not talking about typos, that happens to the best of us sometimes, but one of them (who got a B1 in honours English, so I know she's not dyslexic) constantly writes stuff like "I'm board" instead of "I'm bored", "quite" instead of "quiet" (then there's the whole "luk" (look/luck) "sez" (says) "cum" (come). She seems to habe forgotten the difference between "there, their and they're" (altough very often she just writes "der") and so on.

I don't get it, she was one of the smartest girls in the class maybe it's just her "Facebook mode", but she comes across as a right dense twat who can't even spell the simplest of words

I genuinely don't get people who use txtspk on Facebook... I mean, there's no reason why you should need to when you have a qwerty keyboard in front of you. If it's really that big of a timesink to add in vowels, you need to go away and learn to touch-type.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Czarcasm wrote: »
    This kind of shíte is worse than some of the facebook status posts. Grow up and get a small bit of cop on ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Is there an echo in here? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

Really love this!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

dan1895 wrote: »
    Or at least go and Czech a map first.

I'll get my coat.

It seems the Americans aren't very good at countries names .

http://publicshaming.tumblr.com/post/48547675807/the-definitive-people-who-thought-chechnya-was-the

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I'm ashamed to say I went to the same school as this guy. None of this is a joke
    Just got jumped by 2 lil ticks at ***** garage
    good, hip hip hurreh

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement