Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Age 41, additional driver with own car 45
    Car : nissan leaf 2015
    NCB :9 years
    No points on full license.

Liberty insurance: 382 euro.

Fyi quotes about on 2005 car... My neighbours sold their car for that reason. The 10+ year old cars are being hammered by insurance. Get some test quotes with a different car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

km79 wrote: »
    Looking for advice for my brother
    He is 37 but is just starting off driving. Has provisional but no previous driving experience at all........who is he best to look for quotes from ? Are Brittons still on the go and best for someone in his situation?
    Car is likely to be a 2005 focus which might also lessen his quote options given its age

Just tried Brittons online
    quote given
    NINE THOUSAND EURO

€9,000 is pretty much a pfo quote. They do not want his business. He might be better to aim for a much newer car if that's an option. Also if he could aim to pass his test before he went out on the road just like I had to do away back in the day to afford insurance it should make a very notable difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭tom_k

That time of year again,
    Licence : Full Irish no points, no convictions.
    NCD: 15+ yrs, no claims ever.
    Rural dweller, Mayo.
    Wife as named driver with own car, full Irish long term, no points, claims or convictions.

Car: 2010 VW Passat 2.0 Tdi

Policy: Fully comp, with ncd protection, SDP with commuting

Had been with Axa via the AA, renewal from AA came from Aviva at €559, subsequently reduced to €504.
    AXA: €501
    123.ie : €600
    Liberty: €565
    Fbd: €590
    25plus: €474

The winner was Allianz at €450 obtained through a broker (Hastings, Tuam)

As always pays to shop around, this took me a little over an hour including making payment representing a potential saving of €150 between lowest and highest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

DaveyDave wrote: »
    26 driving a 172 Golf Highline 1.0 110hp. 1 year NCB, no claims. €1,020 with Liberty including 10% multipolicy discount. Down from €2,500 the previous year and it's €300 less than I expecting on a recent quote.

172 Golf Highline DSG 1.0 110hp
    2 years NCB, no claims.

I've added a provisional driver so policy has gone up slightly. Renewal was initially €1,123 but they emailed a 5% discount so it's €1,066.

A new policy for me would be €915 and adding a provisional would be €1,355, it seems the renewal is a decent saving this year. Last year a new policy was €20 cheaper than my renewal!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

This just in this morning, renewal with Allianz through the AA:

License: Full Irish License (0 points)
    NCB: 7 years
    Car: 2006 Alfa 159 1.9 JTS
    City: Dublin

TPFT came in at 775 Euro. Better than last year (910), but I'm still going to keep them on the grill until the end of the month (they have miraculously contacted me with "discounts" every years I got the renewal invitation and duly ignored them). Obviusly, gonna get other quotes as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Trying to log on to its4women.ie website to no avail, keep getting timed out notice anybody having same problem

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Age/location: 37, Kilkenny
    Car: 2006 BMW 320d Saloon
    Cover: TPFT
    NCD: 10+ years
    Penalty points: None

Bank of Ireland renewal - €385 (up from €360 last year)

Had a quick look around for another quote. Axa, Aviva, AA, An Post, all coming in at €600 to €800. The nearest I got to my renewal price was with BoI themselves as a new customer, €445. It's really not even worth my while ringing them to haggle, like last year, they know damn well there's no other option which will even come close. Still, in the current climate can't complain with that for a 13 year old 2L car.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

You actually went looking around to beat a €385 quote.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭jack of all

My wife's policy this time:

Age/location: 45, Laois
    Car: 2015 Skoda Octavia 1.6
    Cover: Comprehensive + driving for work, bonus protection
    Claims: none

Renewing with Aviva for €496 after ringing them twice to get them down to this. Spent about 3 hours ringing around and online to get comparative quotes best was AIG at €670, worst FBD at close to €800, all others in or around €700

Hate this circus every year at renewal times for our respective cars, especially when we're both penalty point and claim free.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Hildah

Car: 2016 Mercedes C300h 2.1lt Diesel Automatic Estate, value ~€25k
    Cover: Comprehensive
    NCD: Max
    Penalty points: 0
    Full Irish Driving Licence

Renewal with An Post Insurance €585 (excess 250)

Quotes from the following:

AXA €781 (excess 500)
    AA €762 (excess 500)
    123.ie €842 (excess 300)
    Allianz €651 (excess 250)
    Liberty €716 (excess 300)
    Aviva €799 (excess 300)

AIG and Its4Women wouldn't quote at all.

I will renew with an Post but will haggle for them to remove the €50 Renewal Fee! It's almost like they're penalising me for being a loyal customer. In addition, if you purchase Post Insurance and pay with their Smart Money Debit Card, you get 5% cash back FYI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Age - 34
    Location - Dublin
    Car - Hyundai Tucson 2017 - Executive model
    NCB - 6 Years
    No penalty points or claims

Wife named driver, no penalty points but 1 claim of 3K her NCB not effected

Renewal with 123 for €607
    Settled with AnPost for €549 full NCB protection etc

Other quotes from 700-950

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

Renewal time again, Post insurance, E560 last year, E640 this year, same person same car, only both a year older this year.

Chill 680

Went on web, Post insurance E480 or E504 with (optional) step back, Happy days says I, I rang them the next day,
    Him.. this is new business i'll pass you over to renewals, please wait.

Her, Your renewal is 640, how would you like to pay...
    Me, I wouldn't, I got a quote off your site for 480/504
    Her, with what company?
    Me, You, Post insurance.
    Her, We cant match that quote
    Me, IT WAS WITH YOUR COMPANY.
    Her, Oh, reference number please, oh yes, 540,
    Me, NO, 504
    Her, sorry, we cant do it, you'll have to let your policy lapse and go back to new policies, oh you have let it lapse...
    Me, NO....its not lapsed till November
    her, Oh yes, I see that, I'll pass you back.
    I hung up. FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭M7roadrunner

Your Age: 40
    Car type and engine: 2007 520d touring
    years driving: 18yrs
    any claims: Nil
    Price and provider: 123.ie. €524 FC

Was with the AA for the last few years, always had older Bmw. Renewal quote was €853 this year.
    Looked around a few websites and quotes ranged from €1374 to €650, all for FC with step back protection.
    123.ie was cheapest by €95 from the next best quote. I left for two days while I considered (checked I didn’t make a mistake) and when I went to buy, it had dropped by another €30.
    That’s a decent saving of over €300 from my renewal price.

Just to note, I put in my details into the AA website as a new customer, and got a quote (with a web discount) of €773.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

My car insurance is up next month, not looking forward to this whole fiasco again. I moved from Dublin 1 to North Co. Dublin and was charged €23.10 to change my address on the policy :rolleyes:

But if I can get a decent quote like last year €425 Fully Comp for the details below I'll be happy.

2001 A6 1.8T
    44 + better half as named driver
    Dont use for commute
    20 years with no claims
    Provider: AXA

Let's see how we go. From reading the previous pages, it could be fun!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Car: kuga
    Years driving: 10+ND 1year ncb
    Claims: Nil
    Price & Provider. €1450 123.ie renewal...€850 it's for women new customer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭rn

Car: 161 vw passat 1.6 Tdi.
    Years driving: 19 + 9 years ncb
    Claims: 0
    Renewal: alliance thru glennon, 583. Last year 550.
    Quotes: chill insurance 700-1400 for equivalent comp policies. It's for women 425 for standard, 473 for gold fully comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

My insurance shot up this year, well the renewal quote I got. Checked around and they are still the cheapest.

1998 1.6 Jap import Toyota Levin BZ-R

~€800

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Agricola wrote: »
    Age/location: 37, Kilkenny
    Car: 2006 BMW 320d Saloon
    Cover: TPFT

Bank of Ireland renewal - €385 (up from €360 last year)

Had a quick look around for another quote. Axa, Aviva, AA, An Post, all coming in at €600 to €800. The nearest I got to my renewal price was with BoI themselves as a new customer, €445. It's really not even worth my while ringing them to haggle, like last year, they know damn well there's no other option which will even come close. Still, in the current climate can't complain with that for a 13 year old 2L car.

385 is INSANELY good, your profile is pretty much the same as mine, with an equivalent car of the same age. The 600-800 quotes you got are pretty much bang on, same as I got - cheapest is 604 from....Allianz, which incidentally is the same provider the AA sent me the 775 quote for.

The AA have started sending me texts - now they offer a 55 Euro discount. They tried calling me today, didn't pick up. I won't renew until the very last day, as usual :D

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Pudsey64

Age 55
    Location Meath
    No penalty point's.
    Full NCB
    Car 2013 Audi A3 1.6TDI
    Renewal Quote from Supervalu/AXA , Comp. €631.90
    Comp. from AIG 394.00
    No more searching.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Vladi_

Your Age: 40
    Car type and engine: 2007 520d touring
    years driving: 18yrs
    any claims: Nil
    Price and provider: 123.ie. €524 FC

Was with the AA for the last few years, always had older Bmw. Renewal quote was €853 this year.
    Looked around a few websites and quotes ranged from €1374 to €650, all for FC with step back protection.
    123.ie was cheapest by €95 from the next best quote. I left for two days while I considered (checked I didn’t make a mistake) and when I went to buy, it had dropped by another €30.
    That’s a decent saving of over €300 from my renewal price.

Just to note, I put in my details into the AA website as a new customer, and got a quote (with a web discount) of €773.

Same thing happened to me.

Car: 06 Mini, 1,6
    1 year no claim

Last year was my first insurance ever. Got €2100 with Allianz through the AA. Renewal was €1900. Quote I've got off the AA as a new customer was €980 with Aviva and that'a what I went with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

The Details as below

Car: CO2 EMISSIONS (G/KM)
    Years driving: 5
    claims: No
    price and provider: best price after compare of all with Britton Insurance (https://www.brittoninsurance.ie/car-insurance.html) , Reasonable price considering

What’s the car? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 fitzy09

2004 1.6 Corolla

Age 21
    Full Clean license no points or claims etc
    2 years no claims

Renewal with kennco came in at 1600e
    123.ie and chill were 1700ish

Kennco brought it down to 1280 over the phone, fully comp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

selous wrote: »
    Renewal time again, Post insurance, E560 last year, E640 this year, same person same car, only both a year older this year.

Chill 680

Went on web, Post insurance E480 or E504 with (optional) step back, Happy days says I, I rang them the next day,
    Him.. this is new business i'll pass you over to renewals, please wait.

Her, Your renewal is 640, how would you like to pay...
    Me, I wouldn't, I got a quote off your site for 480/504
    Her, with what company?
    Me, You, Post insurance.
    Her, We cant match that quote
    Me, IT WAS WITH YOUR COMPANY.
    Her, Oh, reference number please, oh yes, 540,
    Me, NO, 504
    Her, sorry, we cant do it, you'll have to let your policy lapse and go back to new policies, oh you have let it lapse...
    Me, NO....its not lapsed till November
    her, Oh yes, I see that, I'll pass you back.
    I hung up. FFS

I rang them back to accept the quote.
    he wanted to pass me back to renewals...NO I said done all that, I want the new quote, gave him the ref number,
    Yes he says, that's E504, how do you want to pay, instalments or full?
    gave him credit card details, thank you, goodbye...
    last year, I was told benefits of what I was getting, what was included as standard, key cover was there if I wanted it, would I find any benefit in another option,,
    This year was, thanks for your money, goodbye.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭GodlikeRed

2008 1.4 Auris

Age 28
    Full Clean license no points or claims etc
    3years no claims

Renewal €1213 AA (funny lads in the AA)

123.ie  €1061
    25plus  €1288.81
    AA Ireland  €916 new quote
    AIG €920
    Aviva  €993
    Axa  €1263
    BoI  €1065
    Chill.ie  €1000
    FBD  €1,003.22
    Liberty  €914

Went with Liberty €868.39 over the phone, extra discount for paying in full. I got tired of shopping around....I think its a decent deal anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I really don't understand some of these quotes here... Like a lot of people here - thirties, clean licences, pretty much full NCDs

Both of our cars - a 2007 Golf 1.4 and a 2018 Peugeot 5008 1.2 are insured for €350

Yet 800/900/1000 seems to be the mean operating temperature...

What exactly are the risk assessors pivoting so heavily on? Career?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Lily_Aldrin7

Nissan Micra 2005 1.2
    Age 30
    First ireland €950
    No claim bonus 3 years, full clean driving license
    That’s the best I got by €200-€300
    Not too different from last year when it was €1000
    I wonder if I get a newer car, would I get cheaper insurance or does it get more expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭ofcork

lawred2 wrote: »
    I really don't understand some of these quotes here... Like a lot of people here - thirties, clean licences, pretty much full NCDs

Both of our cars - a 2007 Golf 1.4 and a 2018 Peugeot 5008 1.2 are insured for €350

Yet 800/900/1000 seems to be the mean operating temperature...

What exactly are the risk assessors pivoting so heavily on? Career?
    A lot of factors I'd say like in my case being the only driver of the car paid 738 on an avensis at 48 full license no claims/points etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭accensi0n

accensi0n wrote: »
    Got AA/AXA down to 1049 and went with them. So 19 not to bother setting up with a new company.. :pac:

This was for comprehensive.

Had to change address on my policy recently, 15 mins down to road, D14 to D18. 182 euro....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭Charles Leclerc

Car: 2012 Mondeo Zetec BE
    NCB: 6 years
    No penalty points.

123.ie: Last year's price - €538. Renewal - €683.

Rang them up and the guy said he couldn't go any lower than €656 so I said thanks but no thanks. Out of curiosity, I went onto their site for a new quote and got one for €514. Am I allowed go ahead with this considering it's the same company? Won't they notice when they get the NCB letter that they'll send me? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Car: 2012 Mondeo Zetec BE
    NCB: 6 years
    No penalty points.

123.ie: Last year's price - €538. Renewal - €683.

Rang them up and the guy said he couldn't go any lower than €656 so I said thanks but no thanks. Out of curiosity, I went onto their site for a new quote and got one for €514. Am I allowed go ahead with this considering it's the same company? Won't they notice when they get the NCB letter that they'll send me? :pac:

Its been done on here before, cant see it being a problem, i would sign up with it and go ahead as new customer.

Advertisement