Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

corcaigh1 wrote: »
    Happy paying 1800 for insurance, good lord thats insane!

When I started driving at 19 (2002) on my own policy. In a 1.1 petrol p206. Provisional licence.
    4900 including tracksure from AxA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 MikeHammer70

1.3 99 car

50 yrs old no claims or points

460 Inc full NCB protection, breakdown cover

Aviva

I had a minor accident and they sent an investigator ,no claim arose and my premium came down

• Registered Users Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

1.3 99 car

50 yrs old no claims or points

460 Inc full NCB protection, breakdown cover

Aviva

I had a minor accident and they sent an investigator ,no claim arose and my premium came down

You must have been with them awhile ,they wont quote me on a 98 Astra,
    but my 08 Zafira is insured with them €280 fully comp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 MikeHammer70

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    You must have been with them awhile ,they wont quote me on a 98 Astra,
    but my 08 Zafira is insured with them €280 fully comp.
    About 5-6 yrs

What happens if i have to change car,will they refuse me a quote on an old car?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Your Age: 36
    Car type and engine: 09 BMW 318i
    years driving: 10+
    any claims: no
    Price and provider: €562 with 25+ .ie fully comp & full NCB protection.

Was with 123 for years & they wouldn't go below €717.

• Advertisement

About 5-6 yrs

Wonderer the same myself, im with BOI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

About 5-6 yrs

I think I say a poster a few weeks ago who had this situation and they didn't have any issues as they already had an old car to begin with.
    I couldn't tell you which insurer or poster that was though.

I believe the insurance companies only clamp down on this for new business.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

26 driving a 172 Golf Highline 1.0 110hp. 1 year NCB, no claims. €1,010 with Liberty including 10% multipolicy discount. Down from €2,500 the previous year and it's €300 less than I expecting on a recent quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 podgey1992

VW Golf 2011 2.0 140bhp. First policy, 8 years named driver experience, no NCB. Male 26 yo.

For fully comp insurance:

zurich: 1059
    chill: 2 grand
    kennco (via chill): 1392.48
    kennco (on phone): 944
    123.ie (phone): 2109
    liberty online: 1425.96
    aviva: wont take (no prev policy)
    FBD: 1054.35
    AIG: 1350
    AA: 1190
    boxymo: 1242.12

Went with KennCo, breakdown assist, windscreen cover etc all included. Pretty happy as it's my first policy. Chill and 123.ie by far the worst!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭accensi0n

99 Nissan almera 1.4

32 years old.

First time policy, 3 years named driver.

1200 with AA/AXA, fully comp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Wife's insurance

Mature, No points, no claims, full bonus, me named
    07 Ford Focus 1.4
    Comp, Protected NCB
    Aviva last year €340
    Aviva renewal €330

Will look around but I find Aviva good to deal with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

Just got a new insurance (switched car from my current one)
    Company: Tesco
    Car: 2008 Vauxhall Vectra SRI 1.9 CDTi 150hp
    License: 12 years
    NCB: 1 year
    Price: 47 GBP / Mon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Just got this from XS Direct.

Male 38
    Full Licence 11 years
    Full NCB
    No points
    2006 1.6 Passat

Look at the price and the excess. Its a joke

Thank you for visiting our website. We have outlined the quotations for your vehicle below:

Quote 1 Comprehensive Cover € 1702.59 XS Direct (C)
    This policy comes with an All Sections Excess of €3,000

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    Quote 1 Comprehensive Cover € 1702.59 XS Direct (C)
    This policy comes with an All Sections Excess of €3,000

They can Fcuk off! You'll be down the guts of nearly 5k before you get anything back :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭DermoMIO

this years renewal was €660 from €646 last year with AA fully comp

some crazy prices quoted Chill & AIG being the worst @ €977 & €982

the lowest AA would go was €551 after taking off their €50 renewal fee

the 2 best quotes were woops.ie @ €550 full no claims protection & liberty @ €475 with step back, who aaron insurance could only offer €536 with and advised me to take liberty's direct quote as they can be trusted despite AA telling me they don't honor any step back claims or do any windshield cover & that I would loose all no claims bonus with any claims I may make, we shall see !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭gussieg

renewal time again..or not..

age 50 full licence no points full ncb
    car 02 suzuki wagon r low mileage
    celbridge area

123.ie no quote
    its4women.ie no quote
    liberty 836 third party
    aig no quote
    top insure 850 comp
    aa.ie 692. for standard fully comp 623 value with 500 excess
    axa.ie no quote
    last year with a broker it was too much and not going with them again unless they can offer a better quote , but still not looking to get another car as this one is grand, yet its depressing that despite having no claims and a low mileage 1 litre car, cannot seem to get a decent quote.

Seems expensive alright , how long have you owned the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 rosenrot

31 years old
    10 years full EU license
    9 years NCB from Ireland
    07 1.4 Citroen 88 bhp
    The best i could get was 805 eur comprehensive from Allianz, TPFT from other companies are about the same price.
    For an Irish license they would quote me 500-600 for similar NCB.
    Keep in mind all price-segregation based on Irish / EU license is completely illegal. I am a lawyer, myself, will file a case against several of the more obvious law-breaking insurers like 123, AXA and others. Hopefully will see some money off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

rosenrot wrote: »
    31 years old
    10 years full EU license
    9 years NCB from Ireland
    07 1.4 Citroen 88 bhp
    The best i could get was 805 eur comprehensive from Allianz, TPFT from other companies are about the same price.
    For an Irish license they would quote me 500-600 for similar NCB.
    Keep in mind all price-segregation based on Irish / EU license is completely illegal. I am a lawyer, myself, will file a case against several of the more obvious law-breaking insurers like 123, AXA and others. Hopefully will see some money off it.

Very bad lawyer it seems :D

The insurer cannot validate your penalty points if you don't have Irish license - and as such you pose different risk. If you live here, just get Irish license.

grogi wrote: »
    Very bad lawyer it seems :D

The insurer cannot validate your penalty points if you don't have Irish license - and as such you pose different risk. If you live here, just get Irish license.
    grogi, there is something called Unified EU driving history database, there is one for vehicles, too. Every self-respectable insurance company files for access to it. Out of the ones in Ireland, only the 2-3 biggest international ones do, the ****tier local small time insurance companies do not, cause they don't have the money and/or the legislative know-how to do it. So this database gives any insurance company access to any traffic violation recorded on the territory of any green-card agreement member state (all the EU + UK + most of North America + a few countries in the Middle East). So that dumb-ass excuse with "we don't know your driving history, cause you are on an EU license" is just pure bs.
    Besides, any driver also has a NCB certificate, to go with the driving license. So what? The smaller Irish companies do not even recognize that NCB cert or what? My last one is issued by one of the top insurance companies in the world and has 9 years on it. But some irish companies simply decide to ignore it for profit.
    So with this certificate I managed to get an insurance from a German insurance company for my Irish plated car, the best deal I got outside Ireland for insurance was a little over 200 euro for TPFT, so I bought that one, as it is much cheaper than the 800 euro by most Irish companies.

In addition, charging different prices based on where the license was issued in the EU is against all EU regulations and is a perfect reason to file a case with the EU Ombudsman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

rosenrot wrote: »
    In addition, charging different prices based on where the license was issued in the EU is against all EU regulations and is a perfect reason to file a case with the EU Ombudsman.

They offer a discount of 40% if you have no penalty points.

None Irish license holders cannot obtain penalty points, so, they cannot avail of the discount.

To be clear, they are not putting a loading or higher charge for a non irish license, they just offer discounts if you have no points, or little points. - it's a quirk in the regulation righT?

False, traffic violations on both Irish and other EU driving licenses are recorded and any insurance company can look them up, same applies to the police.

In order to comply with anti-price discrimination EU laws, the drop-down menu for "what driving license do you have" should have the options: EU / non-EU prior to the Brexit and EU / UK / Other after the Brexit. Everything else is just a joke, that's easily fine-able.

If you take out your driving license and look closely, you will see it is a standard-issue EU driving license, same as every other EU license issued in the EU over the last decade or more. Unless you are 70+ and your last issued old Irish paper license is without an expiry date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Is there any companies that don't take a deposit and you can just pay monthly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

Licence not license, it's written on the legal ones...:rolleyes:

Wife's insurance

Mature, No points, no claims, full bonus, me named
    07 Ford Focus 1.4
    Comp, Protected NCB
    Aviva last year €340
    Aviva renewal €330

Will look around but I find Aviva good to deal with

Just an update. Renewed with Aviva for €310. Got a further discount for having my health insurance with Irish Life (formally Aviva Health)

It goes to prove that Aviva have no problem with the actual car if it is over 11 years old. They have issue with people looking to insure an older car with them for the first time. It's a fraud indicator

Just an update. Renewed with Aviva for €310. Got a further discount for having my health insurance with Irish Life (formally Aviva Health)

It goes to prove that Aviva have no problem with the actual car if it is over 11 years old. They have issue with people looking to insure an older car with them for the first time. It's a fraud indicator

I have owned my 98 Astra 11 years, no points, max NCB, never any accidents, driving 30 years,
    Aviva wont quote me, i must be a fraud indicator!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Henryhill2

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    Is there any companies that don't take a deposit and you can just pay monthly ?

Post insurance

10 monthly installments

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    I have owned my 98 Astra 11 years, no points, max NCB, never any accidents, driving 30 years,
    Aviva wont quote me, i must be a fraud indicator!

Your circumstances must do. Like I say, they appear to offer reasonable premiums to owners of older cars if they are currently with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Henryhill2

Your circumstances must do. Like I say, they appear to offer reasonable premiums to owners of older cars if they are currently with them

They do if you're already with them anyway

• Advertisement

Only one circumstance age of car,no other reason.
    wife with Aviva 08 zafira cheapest quote ever had €295 fully comp, but would not quote me still with wife with a policy with them,
    don't think i would be fraud indicator.

Advertisement