Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Worldwide Handicap System

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Handicap sec issued a distribution of what our handicaps are set to be. I'm getting 7.8 which will give me a playing handicap around 9. Happy days! Cant wait to get back on the course for turkey and hamper comps playing off 9 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Rikand wrote: »
    Handicap sec issued a distribution of what our handicaps are set to be. I'm getting 7.8 which will give me a playing handicap around 9. Happy days! Cant wait to get back on the course for turkey and hamper comps playing off 9 :D

Fair play to your handicap secretary.

Will these new details appear on golfnet?

slingerz wrote: »
    Fair play to your handicap secretary.

Will these new details appear on golfnet?

To my understanding, there wont be an update to golfnet until the handicap secretaries have had a chance to review what has been sent to them incase any revisions are deemed necessary. The list is official, but not officially official

• Registered Users Posts: 13,148 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

To my understanding, there wont be an update to golfnet until the handicap secretaries have had a chance to review what has been sent to them incase any revisions are deemed necessary. The list is official, but not officially official
    Won't be on GolfNet though. It'll be under a new portal on the Golf Ireland domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Won't be on GolfNet though. It'll be under a new portal on the Golf Ireland domain.

Do you’ve an idea when this is to be communicated?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I'm guessing you were lower?

Wonder will we see more + handicap golfers now. I've come across and played golf we a good percentage of 0-3 HC but never a + HC. I know of two but I'm sure theres a lot more

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    I'm guessing you were lower?

Wonder will we see more + handicap golfers now. I've come across and played golf we a good percentage of 0-3 HC but never a + HC. I know of two but I'm sure theres a lot more

My lowest ever handicap was 4, but I've been slowly moving out ever since then. I'm currently 6.6 but I'm not a genuine 6 or 7 anymore. I would be a 9 or 10 around Athlone being honest with myself, so I'm delighted to see me getting 9. i think its a truer reflection of my current ability.

We only have 2 guys in Athlone who are lower than 1. With the update, we are going to have 4. Two guys are going to come in from 1 and 2 respectively to scratch

slingerz wrote: »
    Do you’ve an idea when this is to be communicated?
    Member access to the new portal will be rolling out this week according to Golf Ireland. Likely the end of the week seeing as it's a short one. I think I pointed this out earlier in the thread, but bears repeating. You will need your GUI/ILGU number and your PIN - your PIN is on your GUI/ILGU card. If you've lost your card, you can find your PIN on your dashboard on GolfNet. If you've never logged into GolfNet, ask your handicap secretary for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,140 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Will an email be sent out by the club with the HI in it, or how are they to communicate with us?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭Russman

You’d wonder will the scores needed to win your Saturday singles change much, or will there just be a greater spread of winners. It’ll be interesting come the springtime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭blue note

I remember reading in the FAQ section on the Congo/ r&a website that basically the lower your handicap then more likely you are to win a comp. I suppose the handicap system should give everyone an equal chance of winning? That's debateable, I don't think a lot of people think it should.

But it's a good question. I wonder will the new system make level things out or even swing them the other way.

Mushy wrote: »
    Will an email be sent out by the club with the HI in it, or how are they to communicate with us?
    I'd like to say that Golf Ireland will email members directly with details on how to log on to the portal. But if my experience is anything to go by, a very large number of members have never registered on GolfNet and so Golf Ireland won't have their email addresses. So it will be down to the clubs to play mammy and wipe their little bums for them. :rolleyes:

Sarcasm aside, the portal will be just like GolfNet and you will have the address and be able to log on as I outlined above. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭chalky_ie

Russman wrote: »
    You’d wonder will the scores needed to win your Saturday singles change much, or will there just be a greater spread of winners. It’ll be interesting come the springtime.

I don't know about the scores changing, but it seems like you would see more inconsistent players winning comps, as their handicaps will go up to be more in line with how they're playing week to week, whilst they still have the ability to go decently below their handicap sometimes. Meanwhile, people that are shooting their handicap or close to it every weekend will drop a few shots, and it will be even harder to win a comp!

conor-w wrote: »
    I don't know about the scores changing, but it seems like you would see more inconsistent players winning comps, as their handicaps will go up to be more in line with how they're playing week to week, whilst they still have the ability to go decently below their handicap sometimes. Meanwhile, people that are shooting their handicap or close to it every weekend will drop a few shots, and it will be even harder to win a comp!
    Not sure I follow this. If you're playing consistently to your handicap, your index will reflect this, so you won't be losing shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭thewobbler

If it’s their best 8 of last 20 and they’re inconsistent but throw in the odd big score, then they’ll have at least a couple of low scores keeping their handicap right.

If they’re a poor player who throws in a huge score once every 20 rounds, there’s no handicapping system can stop that happening.

thewobbler wrote: »
    If it’s their best 8 of last 20 and they’re inconsistent but throw in the odd big score, then they’ll have at least a couple of low scores keeping their handicap right.

If they’re a poor player who throws in a huge score once every 20 rounds, there’s no handicapping system can stop that happening.

Yeah, i tend to agree with this. Having thought through a few scenarios, the WHS is probably going to make it a lot fairer - actually I'm not even sure if that's the correct description, but I think it'll be a lot harder to have a "wrong" handicap. The average player will normally have a couple of good scores in his last 20 holding him down, and for someone who wants to inflate their handicap its potentially an awful lot of effort to get rid of 8 scores out of your last 20, for questionable enough reward.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,140 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I'd like to say that Golf Ireland will email members directly with details on how to log on to the portal. But if my experience is anything to go by, a very large number of members have never registered on GolfNet and so Golf Ireland won't have their email addresses. So it will be down to the clubs to play mammy and wipe their little bums for them. :rolleyes:

Sarcasm aside, the portal will be just like GolfNet and you will have the address and be able to log on as I outlined above. :)

I'm sure the good folk here will say when the portal is live before GUI/GI do, bit late to be expecting much from them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Will howdidido still have your updated hcap or will it just be the new golf Ireland site?

Not sure I follow this. If you're playing consistently to your handicap, your index will reflect this, so you won't be losing shots.

Well based on the calculator posted earlier, I'm set to lose a number of shots, even though my 8 best scores from the last 20 were 6 level pars and 2 1 under pars net. From reading online, it seems like a lot of lower handicaps that regularly shoot around their handicap are dropping a few shots, whilst people not playing to their handicaps regularly are gaining a few?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

We need to remember that the new Handicap Index is not the same as the old Handicap. It represents something subtly different.

For me, my HI is one less than my current handicap. But my playing handicap (95% of course handicap) off our White Tees is exactly the same as my current competition handicap. It is one less off our Green Tees.

People saying "I am losing shots" or "I am gaining two shots" should remember to calculate against the course handicap and subsequesnt playing handicap.

The one thing I noticed from the recent Irish podcast and I was not sure about this is:

"When you show up for a competition, you will be assigned to the tees which are best suited to your handicap" (not a direct quote but that was a message I was getting.) That can't be right. is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭newport2

Probably should be "When you show up for a competition, you will be assigned a handicap which are best suited to you for the tees in play"

Well based on the calculator posted earlier, I'm set to lose a number of shots, even though my 8 best scores from the last 20 were 6 level pars and 2 1 under pars net. From reading online, it seems like a lot of lower handicaps that regularly shoot around their handicap are dropping a few shots, whilst people not playing to their handicaps regularly are gaining a few?
    Well firstly you're comparing your WHS handicap with your CONGU one. They are different. Taking your example above, you may have buffered the other 12 scores or could have had a number of 0.1s giving you an extra shot even though you may have been cut a few points from your couple of -1 netts.

But I was addressing a different issue that you raised and which seemed to be referring to scores achieved solely under the WHS. In that scenario, you wouldn't see much (if any) change if your best 8 are in or around level par nett.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

newport2 wrote: »
    Probably should be "When you show up for a competition, you will be assigned a handicap which are best suited to you for the tees in play"

no was definitely not that. It seems that it is a recomendation and it "can" happen.

listen from 21:20:
    https://soundcloud.com/guigolf/world-handicap-system-what-it-means-for-you

"Clubs should provide all sets of tees for players turning up on the day so that they can play off a set of tees that they want, but that's up to the club to put the sets of tees in play"

So while it can be done it is not obligatory.. its not very clear. This seems weird.

My playing handicap is the same off our blues as it is off our whites.. I would be mad to play off the blues if I had a choice.

Well firstly you're comparing your WHS handicap with your CONGU one. They are different. Taking your example above, you may have buffered the other 12 scores or could have had a number of 0.1s giving you an extra shot even though you may have been cut a few points from your couple of -1 netts.

But I was addressing a different issue that you raised and which seemed to be referring to scores achieved solely under the WHS. In that scenario, you wouldn't see much (if any) change if your best 8 are in or around level par nett.

Ah sorry, what I was saying re: winners was related to next year really, not going forward in perpetuity, probably wasn't very clear. Also, yes my playing handicap for my home course will be higher, but it is still 2 lower than my current CONGU one. When I calculated it, I only included the 8 scores as that is what is mentioned as being the basis of the new handicap.

Ah sorry, what I was saying re: winners was related to next year really, not going forward in perpetuity, probably wasn't very clear. Also, yes my playing handicap for my home course will be higher, but it is still 2 lower than my current CONGU one. When I calculated it, I only included the 8 scores as that is what is mentioned as being the basis of the new handicap.

I think you need to put in all 20 to get an accurate h/c though ? If you just put in 8, doesn't it pro rata and only take something like best 3 because the system doesn't know you've played the full 20 rounds ?

I think you need to put in all 20 to get an accurate h/c though ? If you just put in 8, doesn't it pro rata and only take something like best 3 because the system doesn't know you've played the full 20 rounds ?
    If it's the online calculator that's been linked here a lot, it actually doesn't use the WHS progression and just works off the best eight. If you only put in eight, it calculates that as if you had twenty in.

Yeah as mentioned, this is just a calculator working off the same formula, it's not taking into account the specific rules of the system.

I've never logged into Golfnet. What do people log in for? I see my old rounds on how did I do, so never bothered with Golfnet.

blue note wrote: »
    I've never logged into Golfnet. What do people log in for? I see my old rounds on how did I do, so never bothered with Golfnet.
    Well GolfNet holds all your records, not just the most recent ones. Also if you change clubs and get a new number, your old rounds from your old club don't follow you (this is wrong imo).

• Advertisement

I've just never had a need to go back and look at my old rounds. When I joined my current club they asked about my golfing history and I gave a quick couple of lines, but didn't need to go through my old rounds.

Advertisement