Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ush1 wrote: »
    Bit of a nonsense to beat lightweight contenders at 170lbs and then come looking for a lightweight title shot.

Out of curiosity, why?
    If they both made the cut to 156 and then rehydrated back to whatever wait they walked at. What difference would it make?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

That's crazy

16 PPVs have done over 1m PPV buys in UFC history. All but 2 have involved McGregor, Lesnar or Rousey.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Mellor wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, why?
    If they both made the cut to 156 and then rehydrated back to whatever wait they walked at. What difference would it make?

What would be the point of weight classes if some fighters can skip the weight cut to get into contention for a title shot but others have to break their bollíx to make weight?

Should be a level playing field for all, if you want a title shot at a weight you earn it at that weight imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

RoryMac wrote: »
    What would be the point of weight classes if some fighters can skip the weight cut to get into contention for a title shot but others have to break their bollíx to make weight?

Should be a level playing field for all, if you want a title shot at a weight you earn it at that weight imo.

correct

• Registered Users Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

This should be the be way but UFC is not about who is the best fighter its about making the UFC money ,

What ever way they can manipulate fights or fighter without going to far (fixing fights ) to make sure the real money fights happen they will do it

Unfortunately when it was sold for what 4 Billion ? this was always the road it was going down , for god sake they make up belts to sell pay per views ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

For fighters "breaking their bollix" to make the weight limit, they should probably look at a higher weight class.
    155 fighters are generally around the 170 mark on the night of the fight, so I don't see what the issue is. It's not like he's fighting at 205 and asking for a 155 shot.

Plus, he's always made weight regardless of what class. Possibly even made championship weight each time, not 100% on that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

The Nal wrote: »
    Dana will put Conor in wherever he can. Since the Khabib fight which did 2.4m PPV buys

3 PPV buys in 2019 (I know ESPN obscures it somewhat).

UFC 234 Silva vs. Adesanya 175,000
    UFC 235 Jones vs. Smith 650,000
    UFC 236 Holloway vs. Poirier 2 100,000

UFC 246 McGregor vs Cerrone 2,000,000

Are the other numbers "adjusted" to account for the new ESPN model the way the (almost certainly bull****) 2m number has for UFC 246?

I've no doubt that 246 would have sold more than the others by a considerable distance but the numbers have to be consistent.

This should be the be way but UFC is not about who is the best fighter its about making the UFC money ,

What ever way they can manipulate fights or fighter without going to far (fixing fights ) to make sure the real money fights happen they will do it

Unfortunately when it was sold for what 4 Billion ? this was always the road it was going down , for god sake they make up belts to sell pay per views ,

And I don't really have an issue with making the big money fights, if Jon Jones wants to step up to HW to fight for the title, great. McGregor stepping up to fight for the WW belt, great. If Masvidal vs McGregor is going make a ton of money, great.

But a McGregor vs Gaethje fight at WW when both are vying for a LW shot seems pointless when both are well capable of making LW

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

ChrisM wrote: »
    Who would McGregor fight though, Tony for the belt or Khabib for revenge?
    ?

I don’t think Conor can win against Khabib.
    Khabib van take a hard lunch and once he gets in close his wrestling game is to dominate

Tazzimus wrote: »
    For fighters "breaking their bollix" to make the weight limit, they should probably look at a higher weight class.
    155 fighters are generally around the 170 mark on the night of the fight, so I don't see what the issue is. It's not like he's fighting at 205 and asking for a 155 shot.

Plus, he's always made weight regardless of what class. Possibly even made championship weight each time, not 100% on that though.

Exactly, if there is an issue with McGregor or Gaethje making LW(there's not that we know of) then they should step up to WW.

If they're capable of making the LW fight at the weight.

But I do agree, a lot more should be done to avoid fighters making huge weight cuts for fights

• Advertisement

Are the other numbers "adjusted" to account for the new ESPN model the way the (almost certainly bull****) 2m number has for UFC 246?

No its quite muddy from now on with ESPN. 2m ish isn't really surprising though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

And I don't really have an issue with making the big money fights, if Jon Jones wants to step up to HW to fight for the title, great. McGregor stepping up to fight for the WW belt, great. If Masvidal vs McGregor is going make a ton of money, great.

But a McGregor vs Gaethje fight at WW when both are vying for a LW shot seems pointless when both are well capable of making LW

Yes but its McGregor wants it at WW so they give him what he wants because he gives them the money fights ,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

The Nal wrote: »
    Dana will put Conor in wherever he can. Since the Khabib fight which did 2.4m PPV buys

3 PPV buys in 2019 (I know ESPN obscures it somewhat).

UFC 234 Silva vs. Adesanya 175,000
    UFC 235 Jones vs. Smith 650,000
    UFC 236 Holloway vs. Poirier 2 100,000

UFC 246 McGregor vs Cerrone 2,000,000

Hard to believe Poirier vs Holloway did over 2m+. Crazy if true but some of boxings biggest fights didn't do that much.

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Hard to believe Poirier vs Holloway did over 2m+. Crazy if true but some of boxings biggest fights didn't do that much.
    It didn't, it was Holloway v Poirier 2

The point of weight classes is to match fighters based on body mass for a given fight. :confused:
    This doesn’t change that.

Weight classes have nothing to do with making a fighter break their bollox. That’s simply an unfortunate side effect of the current system. It’s pretty universally agreed that the weight cutting system is one if the worst aspects of the sport. When two fighters agree to not cut, it’s usually held up as a good thing. I don’t think they should suffer consequences for doing that.

Obviously, fighters can’t constantly operate with that gentlemen’s agreement, as they’d just creep up in weight. But once every few fights I’m ok with.
    Maybe the fight us booked without the guarantee of the agreement.
    But I do agree, a lot more should be done to avoid fighters making huge weight cuts for fights
    Which kinda contradicts what you say above.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

The point of weight classes is to match fighters based on body mass for a given fight. :confused:
    This doesn’t change that.

Weight classes have nothing to do with making a fighter break their bollox. That’s simply an unfortunate side effect of the current system. It’s pretty universally agreed that the weight cutting system is one if the worst aspects of the sport. When two fighters agree to not cut, it’s usually held up as a good thing. I don’t think they should suffer consequences for doing that.

Obviously, fighters can’t constantly operate with that gentlemen’s agreement, as they’d just creep up in weight. But once every few fights I’m ok with.
    Maybe the fight us booked without the guarantee of the agreement.

Which kinda contradicts what you say above.

The point of titles is that they correlate with a weight class. Also rankings etc..

GiftofGab wrote: »

Sorry yeah that was fight 2. It only did 100,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

That's good from Conor, although Stephen A loves on the stuff. It's his mo to say controversial stuff and it worked again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

ESPN and Stephen A Smith will be loving that. He's a very well paid troll and he's getting the biggest bites he can.

The point of titles is that they correlate with a weight class. Also rankings etc..

I wasn’t suggesting that anyone shouldn’t make weight for a title fight. But for non title fights I’m ok with it. As you said, that fight was two LWs not two WWs.

I mean, if two fighters both weight around 170 a week out. And will weigh 170 in the cage.
    What’s difference does the cut to 155 a day out actually achieve?
    Nothing. It’s just there to keep fighters in check

I wasn’t suggesting that anyone shouldn’t make weight for a title fight. But for non title fights I’m ok with it. As you said, that fight was two LWs not two WWs.

I mean, if two fighters both weight around 170 a week out. And will weigh 170 in the cage.
    What’s difference does the cut to 155 a day out actually achieve?
    Nothing. It’s just there to keep fighters in check

That's always been the point of weight classes.

I'm not talking about the point of weight cutting, it achieves nothing in terms of a title fight either if we're going that way.

But rankings and titles are based on the weight class you weigh in at, not your actual weight.

Just because some people say McGregor is a lightweight and Gaethje is a lightweight, doesn't have any meaning if they are constantly weighing in at 170lbs does it?

That's always been the point of weight classes.
    I understand that’s the point of weight classes.
    Somebody above had the ludicrous idea it’s about making a fighter break his bollox.
    I'm not talking about the point of weight cutting, it achieves nothing in terms of a title fight either if we're going that way.
    In a title fight, it’s required for a belt to be on the line. That sort of gentleman’s agreement can’t happen in a title fight. Even the usual 1lb grace is removed. Commission rules.
    But rankings and titles are based on the weight class you weigh in at, not your actual weight.

Just because some people say McGregor is a lightweight and Gaethje is a lightweight, doesn't have any meaning if they are constantly weighing in at 170lbs does it?
    Rankings are subjective lists of fighters ability by random individuals.
    I’d like to think we all recognise McGregor and Gaethje are lightweights. And I doubt anyone ranks either of the two outside the top 5 at 155.

In regards to “constantly weighing in at 170”, it’s happened once so far. And as I said fighters can’t be agreeing not to cut every fight.

I don't really see the issue here to be honest.
    Everyone knows that they only weight 155 for that morning of the weigh in, and are back to pretty much their normal weight come fight night, which is usually around 170.
    If we know they're going to weigh 170, why is there an issue with them deciding to not dehydrate themselves, especially for a non title fight.

Title fight, fair enough, it's for a title. Although I don't agree with weight cuts at all and would love if they were done away with. That way everyone would/should be competing in their natural weight division.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

If everyone cuts weight, how much of an advantage is it? They should just try and do away with it. If McGregor’s actions can help with this, I think it’s a good thing.

In regards to “constantly weighing in at 170”, it’s happened once so far. And as I said fighters can’t be agreeing not to cut every fight.

So you agree with me?

And John Kavanagh has said his preference for the next fight is Gaethje at 170lbs. That's what I meant by constantly, fighting a number of times at 170lbs and then expecting a title shot at 155lbs is a bit beyond farce in terms of weight classes.

To your other point, you could have a gentlemens agreement for a belt. Nothing to stop that. All it takes is someone who doesn't cut weight to win a belt and nobody who fights them to cut weight.

That's the problem with gentlemens agreements though, people will take advantage.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    I don't really see the issue here to be honest.
    Everyone knows that they only weight 155 for that morning of the weigh in, and are back to pretty much their normal weight come fight night, which is usually around 170.
    If we know they're going to weigh 170, why is there an issue with them deciding to not dehydrate themselves, especially for a non title fight.

Title fight, fair enough, it's for a title. Although I don't agree with weight cuts at all and would love if they were done away with. That way everyone would/should be competing in their natural weight division.

So should every non title fight be at a weight class above what the fighter will fight for a title at?

If it was that across the board I could see some sort of logic. The weight cut will effect you, positively or negatively eventually. If that's for a normal fight or for a title fight. It changes the dynamic of the whole division.

Maybe Cowboy would have beat Conor at 155lbs?(I don't actually believe this)

So should every non title fight be at a weight class above what the fighter will fight for a title at?

If it was that across the board I could see some sort of logic. The weight cut will effect you, positively or negatively eventually. If that's for a normal fight or for a title fight. It changes the dynamic of the whole division.

Maybe Cowboy would have beat Conor at 155lbs?(I don't actually believe this)
    If the fighters decide on it, I don't see why not. It's their body.

I'd like the weight cut to be done away with altogether, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Cowboy struggles with bigger weight cuts so I'd say he'd probably have been worse off at 155, if that was possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If you don't cut below 170 for quite a while and then cut for one fight it's very tough but you get there and then on fight night you are in great shape and you'll have put back on a bit and have more power at that weight than you would if you are constantly cutting.

Advertisement