Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picard 1x02 - "Maps and Legends" [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

pah wrote: »
    So they get a pass on poor writing because it will all make sense by the end? I expect my TV episodes to have a certain standard when I am paying to watch one every week.

While I am enjoying seeing Picard on TV again I just feel that by the end of the episodes so far that it's just not doing it for me overall.
    Not what I'm saying. I see the first 3 as set up and serving that specific purpose. I can live with flaws in them and weaknesses in early episodes are inevitable in any show. From 4 onwards it needs to deliver a story and IMO it will be easier to judge what they've done to date.

AMKC wrote: »
    Well that was a disapointing second episode. No where near as enjoyable or as good as the first. I did however like that the ships over Mars at the start of it at least looked like 24th century TNG ships with impulse engines and nacellas. That and the Enterprise in Starfleet headquaters was the best parts of this episode.
    I am sorry but any high ranking officer worth there rank is not going to curse over a stupid T.V interview unless it has just currupted there organisation or revealed classified details maybe or if said organisation has done something way out of line like the IMF in Mission Impossible when they blow up the Cremlin ye or in Avengers when the big city gets destroyed in a big fight. Picard did none of that. She would chat and say

Sorry Picard its not going to happen end of.

Am hoping next weeks episode is better.

I think that there is more to this. I doubt that Picard went quietly into the night, at his resignation. I imagine that he made a hell of a noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I thought that was pretty good. It wasn't as good as the first episode but that is to be expected. Now it's time to start getting down to the nuts and bolts of the show.

While I really like Orla Brady's character they should dial back the Irishness just a small bit. I loved her row with Picard and her partner "You can take that one with you" I thought "Cheeky Feckers" was a bit much.
    I did like the dressing down Picard got at Starfleet and thought it was deserved: After leaving Starfleet (No doubt kicking up a big stink on the way) and publicly admonishing them on TV he comes looking for a ship and then "graciously" says he'd be willing to be a captain. Thought it was quite arrogant and he got the reply he should have gotten.
    I don't mind the swearing in the series. thought it was actually used better than in Discovery. In Discovery it was almost like a 2-year-old discovering a bad word and throwing it in randomly. Here it felt natural: "The f*cking HUBRIS!!!"
    I am a little confused about the fact that there are so many non-Romulans on what is most likely their most secret operation: Retrofitting a Borg Cube and harvesting their technology.
    Good to see the timeline being clarified (Mars attack 14 years earlier.)

How do people feel about them using our dating method rather than theirs? And did anyone think he called "Beverly" initially when he put on his comm badge? I was hoping he was going to take out his flute (Grow up people :) ) and start playing to calm himself when you saw him reach into the drawer.

So, I enjoyed that. Not as much as the pilot but I was expecting that so I am still pretty damn happy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I know there's been some drama about the Admiral/Commodore swearing at Picard, but honestly it felt so damn fitting to me.

She was just so blown away by the sheer audacity of Picard to simply stroll into the building and basically demand a full starship, his old rank and a crew for a mission he has no real proof of, especially after his words about the Federation only recently.

It poses an interesting moral conundrum, many many species despise the Romulans because of their actions over the years. Is it better to save a single race, or lose the support of dozens of other races who will leave the Federation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Winning_Stroke

It seemed to go very fast from "oh who were those guys" to "Maybe it's them from the Tal Shi'ar myth?" to "It's definitely them. Here's the name of the group and their modus operadi and oh they also use these techniques".

You had to laugh at the "space trailer" in the desert bit. Getting a crew together for a job... bloody hell.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'm being picky here but the starfleet costume designers should be all shot. They look like they are bunch of newbie cosplayers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I'm being picky here but the starfleet costume designers should be all shot. They look like they are bunch of newbie cosplayers.

Yeah, they all look a size too large! Though the admirals uniform seems to be a far better design. Perk of the job I guess.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Yeah, they all look a size too large! Though the admirals uniform seems to be a far better design. Perk of the job I guess.

I had initially though that maybe Starfleet's standards had dropped but then I saw the Admiral's attire and it looks great.

I really enjoyed it. The episode felt really short. 42 minutes felt more like 14.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

we can't get the old crew back because they would say yes... or they would be too expensive

• Advertisement

These two episodes have flown by. Wish that I had the self control to wait and binge them all

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I know there's been some drama about the Admiral/Commodore swearing at Picard, but honestly it felt so damn fitting to me.

She was just so blown away by the sheer audacity of Picard to simply stroll into the building and basically demand a full starship, his old rank and a crew for a mission he has no real proof of, especially after his words about the Federation only recently.

Thought that was one of the better scenes from the episode actually! Loved that Picard walked in expecting so much, and was shot down so harshly. Sheer ****ing hubris indeed.

That exchange also did a lot to explain where and why Picard's standing is within Starfleet at the moment.

I'd only wish – with the exact same dialogue – that it would have been either Janeway or Nechayev in the admirals uniform!

Goodshape wrote: »
    Thought that was one of the better scenes from the episode actually! Loved that Picard walked in expecting so much, and was shot down so harshly. Sheer ****ing hubris indeed.

That exchange also did a lot to explain where and why Picard's standing is within Starfleet at the moment.

I'd only wish – with the exact same dialogue – that it would have been either Janeway or Nechayev in the admirals uniform!

Nechayev yes. Janeway, **** no

Janeway, **** no

Why no?

I think it would have been fun to imagine they've had a bit of a "not seeing eye to eye" history together in the last 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I am still enjoying it
    Loved the 5843 days since an assimilation sign
    That's a little easter egg. It's 16+ years since an assimilation. That means the cube predates the attack on Mars, and perhaps goes back waay further.
    AMKC wrote: »
    I am sorry but any high ranking officer worth there rank is not going to curse over a stupid T.V interview unless it has just currupted there organisation
    I do get where you're coming from, but they did set it up. "Broadcast to the whole galaxy" I think is what they said. Picard is a literal hero across the Federation, someone the populations revere and respect.
    A negative word about Starfleet from him, broadcast in public, is huge kick in the face for everyone working in Starfleet.

As others say though, a certain element in that is Picard's own hubris. He expects the young receptionist at headquarters to know who he is. He expects to be able to rock up to Starfleet after 14 years and just ask for a ship & crew for a mission based on little or no evidence.

From the Admiral's perspective, Picard quit in a blaze of glory, went about sh1tting on Starfleet publically and then waltzed back in looking for a "lend" of a ship.
    we can't get the old crew back because they would say yes... or they would be too expensive
    Cynic. I think his reasoning fit in there perfectly well.

Plus, a new series with the old crew would quite rightly be accused of being a lazy cash grab. I'm reminded of the Simpsons bit; "Star Trek 12: So Very Tired".
    Goodshape wrote: »
    I imagine they're saving Janeway for something else. I don't know if Mulgrew has been involved at all, but Janeway comes across as the kind of Admiral who would have quit with Picard, and for the same reasons.

FutureGuy wrote: »

Also – yes :(, I've noticed that. Even the dream-sequence replicas of the TNG and movie uniforms. Looked quite badly tailored and stiff, and about a size too big.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭blade1

A little off topic but just realized the other day that The Next Generation season 1 is showing on Pick.
    I was 15 watching it when it first aired and now I'm the same age as Patrick Stewart was in it. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I think for the show, it makes far more sense they appear as guest spots, maybe once a season.

Anymore than that and it becomes Star Trek: The Next Generation: The Previous Generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

seamus wrote: »
    Originally Posted by expectationlost View Post
    ............ Plus, a new series with the old crew would quite rightly be accused of being a lazy cash grab. I'm reminded of the Simpsons bit; "Star Trek 12: So Very Tired"........

Plus you would/will/have have the element who would/will/have say "Oh desperation. Look, they have to wheel all the rest of them out"

Mind you, I reckon they should ship O'Brien over from the Daystrom Institute: "Who's yer wan? Jaysus, the accent on her, wha?"

• Registered Users Posts: 45 SwordsRunner

blade1 wrote: »
    A little off topic but just realized the other day that The Next Generation season 1 is showing on Pick.
    I was 15 watching it when it first aired and now I'm the same age as Patrick Stewart was in it. :eek:
    Yeah, me too. I have all my hair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 SwordsRunner

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I think for the show, it makes far more sense they appear as guest spots, maybe once a season.

Anymore than that and it becomes Star Trek: The Next Generation: The Previous Generation.

Would still be better than Discovery

• Registered Users Posts: 15,560 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

blade1 wrote: »

I was half your age when it first aired. So I guess that means I am still younger Picard when he was in it :)

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,213 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

So, I'd like to see a map of the Quadrant. Wonder what the territory of the Romulan Free State is? Is the Empire still around?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

So, I'd like to see a map of the Quadrant. Wonder what the territory of the Romulan Free State is? Is the Empire still around?

Rewind to the meeting in the Admirals Office and look at the display in the background

• Registered Users Posts: 27,885 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Plus you would/will/have have the element who would/will/have say "Oh desperation. Look, they have to wheel all the rest of them out"

Mind you, I reckon they should ship O'Brien over from the Daystrom Institute: "Who's yer wan? Jaysus, the accent on her, wha?"

When I heard cheeky feckers I thought I had switched onto Fair City by mistake!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I reckon that maybe 50% of the episode seemed purely functional. And I suspect that's because I knew where the story was going, and that in turn is due to the ads spoiling far too much of it. Does anyone else think they'd have found the episode, or indeed the series as a whole, more enjoyable if they had gone into it completely blind?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Spear wrote: »
    I reckon that maybe 50% of the episode seemed purely functional. And I suspect that's because I knew where the story was going, and that in turn is due to the ads spoiling far too much of it. Does anyone else think they'd have found the episode, or indeed the series as a whole, more enjoyable if they had gone into it completely blind?

The trailers showing so many of the guest star's really ruined a good deal of any "holy **** it's X" moments the season might have had, which is a real shame as Picard alone was more than enough to get fans onboard.

As for episode 2 itself, really liked it overall apart from the f-bomb which was just jarring and the Romulan super duper extra secret shadowy organization the previously established Romulan super secret shadowy Tal Shair are scared of crap!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

'Romulan Free State '
    ahhh well that explains why Laris gets to say feckers and have an Irish accent :)
    ( actually I'd love to know the in universe explanation for it )

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Dr Bob wrote: »
    'Romulan Free State '
    ahhh well that explains why Laris gets to say feckers and have an Irish accent :)

I've been guessing that at least a sizeable amount of the 900,000,000 Romulans would be rescued in at least part of the Admiral Picard/Federation rescue operation.

Currently our entire planet has "70.8 million people around the world have been forced from home" so even if we only got 100,000,000 Romulans, I'd say many would've shared homes with the people of Earth.

With that in mind, I imagine many were taken in by the Irish. Plenty of cultural exchange possible there. It's not like all the Romulans would be stuck on logic like the Vulcans

Another possibility that came to mind was that maybe some went to the Mariposa colony.

Reason I'm more taken to the Ireland idea was the idea that it might lead to an appearance of O'Brien.

• Advertisement

Spear wrote: »
    Does anyone else think they'd have found the episode, or indeed the series as a whole, more enjoyable if they had gone into it completely blind?
    Absolutely, yes. And this episode might have seemed a lot better if I wasn't watching it while waiting for Riker or Troi or Seven or Hugh to show up.

But what can you do.

Dr Bob wrote: »
    'Romulan Free State '

I read or heard somewhere, and remember thinking it sounding official, that Romulan refugees picked up the accent of wherever they ended up on Earth. Laris learned English in Ireland, so an Irish accent she has.

// Edit:: this article: https://www.joe.ie/movies-tv/star-trek-picard-ireland-691289
    "That scene was written differently," Chabon tells JOE. "She was supposed to say 'Those sneaky bastards', but she said 'Bastards doesn't sound right', so we asked 'What would?' and she said 'Feckers!', so we said 'Okay!'"

"But we did, actually very consciously, feel that indigenous accents were okay," Goldsman adds. "Just as you have people that have learned English versus American, Romulans can have learned the language wherever they learned it, and as such could carry that accent, which for us was much more authentic than trying to create a kind of Anglocised, mid-Atlantic thing that often happens in science fiction."

Advertisement