Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picard 1x02 - "Maps and Legends" [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I didn't get what was so shocking about the revelation that the twin's communication came from 'not earth' i.e outer space. This is Star Trek isn't it or am I missing something? Probably am. I keep concentrating on the visuals more than the plot.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

AllForIt wrote: »
    I didn't get what was so shocking about the revelation that the twin's communication came from 'not earth' i.e outer space. This is Star Trek isn't it or am I missing something? Probably am. I keep concentrating on the visuals more than the plot.
    I think it was more to say she wasn't local and he'd have to get a warp capable ship

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Evade

Bad writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Rawr

It did seem odd. It kind of feels like the opposite is usually the case in Star Trek. Something is shocking if I comes from Earth.

First Officer: Sir! We have tracked the source of the Borg transmission.

Captain: Where is it?

First Office: It's coming from.......Sector 001?

Captain: Earth? (Cue Dramatic Music)

But yes. FFS, why on Earth (:D) would Picard be surprised to hear that some stuff in the 24th Century happens away from Earth. It's like one of us being shocked to learn that Ryanair planes go to Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭MmmChocolate

This gentleman has a most entertaining, if somewhat colourful, take on the whole thing. With some valid points. I particularly like the whole "Meh don't worry about all those Borg, be grand" part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,931 ✭✭✭✭Stark

"An error occurred. Please try again later. (Playback ID: I0-JLQ-Ca1MzB86O)"

Edit: fixed it for you

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭MmmChocolate

Stark wrote: »
    "An error occurred. Please try again later. (Playback ID: I0-JLQ-Ca1MzB86O)"

Edit: fixed it for you

How odd - it showed up ok in my post preview...but thank you! Much appreciated! My big decision today is what flavour chicken wings I want for tonight's episode.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,100 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

How odd - it showed up ok in my post preview...but thank you! Much appreciated! My big decision today is what flavour chicken wings I want for tonight's episode.

You shouldn't have the v= part in there, just the value of the video id only.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

Just re-watched this, and the exchange with the doctor is very cunningly worded. I interpreted it as meaning that if Picard is lucky his galactic adventures will kill him before the degenerative illness kicks in. But it could equally mean that there is something awful hanging over Picard left over from his Stargazer days, and if he is lucky the degenerative illness will kill him before that catches up.

Very clever, and there's plenty of scope even from the little we already know of Stargazer and Picard to tease the imagination there.

Nice to think there might be something in the shadows apart from Romulans and AI.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Rawr wrote: »
    It did seem odd. It kind of feels like the opposite is usually the case in Star Trek. Something is shocking if I comes from Earth.

Exactly! 'cuz usually they come from the past, the future or a parallel universe.:D

• Advertisement

Am I the only one who thought Picard wasn't shocked because of the earth bit but that a)she wasn't close to where her sister is, so happy shock she could still be alive b) excited that the game is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,671 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

tromtipp wrote: »
    Just re-watched this, and the exchange with the doctor is very cunningly worded. I interpreted it as meaning that if Picard is lucky his galactic adventures will kill him before the degenerative illness kicks in. But it could equally mean that there is something awful hanging over Picard left over from his Stargazer days, and if he is lucky the degenerative illness will kill him before that catches up.

Very clever, and there's plenty of scope even from the little we already know of Stargazer and Picard to tease the imagination there.

Nice to think there might be something in the shadows apart from Romulans and AI.

The sooner they get ''Star Trek Stargazer'' the series or ''Star Trek Picard:The Early Years'' out the better so.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Does the Romulan aversion to AI make sense? They were certainly interested in Data in Next Gen. Or will they fill in that something really happened in their recent past?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

silverharp wrote: »
    Does the Romulan aversion to AI make sense? They were certainly interested in Data in Next Gen. Or will they fill in that something really happened in their recent past?

I just chalk off that one moment as a retroactive "know thy enemy" exchange. If the Klingons can change from guys in blackface & gold vests, to the versions we know today, I think the Romulans can survive some tweaking of their philosophies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Evade

It won't be explained and if you bring it up you'll be told by true fans that it doesn't matter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well then. Someone's salty :D

Paddy Romulan made it clear they have been acting that way for a long time. Although not sure why they need a secret organisation for it if most of them are anti AI

Ms

pixelburp wrote: »
    I just chalk off that one moment as a retroactive "know thy enemy" exchange. If the Klingons can change from guys in blackface & gold vests, to the versions we know today, I think the Romulans can survive some tweaking of their philosophies :D

The Kingons changed. I never noticed. When did that happen?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    The Kingons changed. I never noticed. When did that happen?

Well, which of the many times do you want to know about ;)

Different factions, the TOS ones they met in person were a single faction, who never got involved with the call up with the others in Discovery, outsiders as they were a bit different (in the same way the rest of them didn't like the Albino ones). They joined by the time of the TOS for the declaration of war, then they all joined together and in a short turn around time, they all looked a like due to low numbers and a rapid breeding program, so they all end up like Worf. It is all really simple. :pac:

• Advertisement
    Ms

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well, which of the many times do you want to know about ;)

Well we have the Klingon in Enterprise then the boring ones in TOS and then the proper Klingons again in TNG and DS9. They are klingons.
    CramCycle wrote: »
    Different factions, the TOS ones they met in person were a single faction, who never got involved with the call up with the others in Discovery, outsiders as they were a bit different (in the same way the rest of them didn't like the Albino ones). They joined by the time of the TOS for the declaration of war, then they all joined together and in a short turn around time, they all looked a like due to low numbers and a rapid breeding program, so they all end up like Worf. It is all really simple. :pac:

There is no Klingons in Discovery. I do not know or really care what they were because for the most part that show is crap anyway but they certainly are not Klingons. Also Klingons never had cloaking technology until they done a deal with the Romulans and they would never make such ridiculas stupid looking ships like the ones in Discovery either. Klingons would be ashamed to fly in them. Another thing is that once a Klingon dies and there comrades have there cry they do not care about the body of there fallen warrier so why would they then collect the bodies?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Well we have the Klingon in Enterprise then the boring ones in TOS and then the proper Klingons again in TNG and DS9. They are klingons.

Nah TOS are the proper Kingons, not these pooh faced, dour, and overly serious TNG monstrosities. And What's with all the makeup, the actors can barely move the muscles in their face or speak over the teeth.

Advertisement