Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anthem

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,330 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Is the Demo weekend only or only for preorders?

Downloaded it on PS4 but couldn't log in.

fixxxer wrote: »
    Is the Demo weekend only or only for preorders?

Downloaded it on PS4 but couldn't log in.

My understanding is that it unlocks at 5pm for everyone for the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I will be playing the Colossus, but then again I have a set team of about 6 players and we all have chosen Javelins to work as a team.

Based on the most recent poll the best or favourite Javelin, the picks are:

1) Interceptor - 40%+
    2) Storm - 25%+
    3) Colossus
    4) Ranger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

What class is everyone going with for the demo?/what's the best class?

(btw There's too many great games to play right now. Got a backlog and I'm all over the place.
    What an amazing time to be a video game fan!)

The Ranger is a solid jack of all trades but master of none style unit and was also the starter mech in the last demo. I then picked the Storm after I levelled up a bit and found it to be ranged AOE class that I found really fun. Can't really comment on the other two as I never tried them but seeing as all the classes look viable with the correct mods it kinda boils down to personal choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

gizmo wrote: »
    According to the other folk here at EA HQ, the open demo starts at 5pm on Friday for all platforms.

Thanks Gizmo... Any idea what timezone that is ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Muppet Man wrote: »
    Thanks Gizmo... Any idea what timezone that is ?

5PM GMT for us. So 5PM today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I have EA Access so I'll give it a spin this weekend, but I'm not expecting great things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

ZiabR wrote: »
    Every major studio out there has micro-transactions present in their games. You have to go to the Indie game scene to find games that dont have any micro-transactions present.

God of War disagrees. No exact figures, but estimating around the $100 million mark (they said it cost more than a normal AAA game, and they're about $40-60 million on average), and made $131 million digital during its release month. Gamers are now demanding good stories to play, and couldn't care less about MP. The only MP game I play is CoD, and i still technically fly solo in that.

Yes, the figures won't be as good as the MT heavy games, but Sony Santa Monica now has a carte blanche with me, because I know they will produce something amazing. That to me is more important than sales figures, and I believe this will be the focus of a lot of studios going forward.

I reckon we're getting to a breaking point with MTs, and games will either have to massively reduce the cost of in game items (which should be cosmetic only). Do the likes of EA and Activision not realise that if everything was only 50% of what they currently cost, they would most likely sell more? I wouldn't have an issue with spending €2-3 on a new suit in CoD, but I'm not spending the equivalent of €10 on it. And I'm sure there are many, many others out there like me. Throwing €20 onto the PSN is not that big of a deal, if I can buy up to 10 outfits. But for 2 outfits, it's not worth it.

SP games are going to make a massive comeback, and The Witcher 3, God of War and AC Odyssey are proving this. I look forward to it, as historically, the games I've enjoyed the most are the games with brilliant stories (Legacy of Kain, God of War (I thought it was a brilliant story, no need for hidden meanings, just straight up revenge!), Bioshock, even Mortal Kombat has a story i've always been interested in.

And yes, how good you perceive a story is subjective, ie: lots of people thought the story/experience of Journey was amazing. It bored me and I actively turn people away from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

To a certain extent though God of War is an outlier because Sony can afford to put a big chunk of change towards it's development knowing that it's a game that's going to see consoles.

• Advertisement

To a certain extent though God of War is an outlier because Sony can afford to put a big chunk of change towards it's development knowing that it's a game that's going to see consoles.

CD Project Red is a tiny studio compared to the other players in the market yet had no MT's in the Witcher 3, offered tons of free DLC with it, had very reasonably priced expansions and not only managed to make one of the best games of all time but made a huge profits from it to boot. MT's are not about making enough money to fund development but just another way to squeeze every last cent from the customer.

• Venom wrote: »
    CD Project Red is a tiny studio compared to the other players in the market yet had no MT's in the Witcher 3, offered tons of free DLC with it, had very reasonably priced expansions and not only managed to make one of the best games of all time but made a huge profits from it to boot. MT's are not about making enough money to fund development but just another way to squeeze every last cent from the customer.

The excuses for MTs at this stage is getting laughable

• God of War disagrees. No exact figures, but estimating around the $100 million mark (they said it cost more than a normal AAA game, and they're about $40-60 million on average), and made $131 million digital during its release month. Gamers are now demanding good stories to play, and couldn't care less about MP. The only MP game I play is CoD, and i still technically fly solo in that.

Yes, the figures won't be as good as the MT heavy games, but Sony Santa Monica now has a carte blanche with me, because I know they will produce something amazing. That to me is more important than sales figures, and I believe this will be the focus of a lot of studios going forward.

I reckon we're getting to a breaking point with MTs, and games will either have to massively reduce the cost of in game items (which should be cosmetic only). Do the likes of EA and Activision not realise that if everything was only 50% of what they currently cost, they would most likely sell more? I wouldn't have an issue with spending €2-3 on a new suit in CoD, but I'm not spending the equivalent of €10 on it. And I'm sure there are many, many others out there like me. Throwing €20 onto the PSN is not that big of a deal, if I can buy up to 10 outfits. But for 2 outfits, it's not worth it.

SP games are going to make a massive comeback, and The Witcher 3, God of War and AC Odyssey are proving this. I look forward to it, as historically, the games I've enjoyed the most are the games with brilliant stories (Legacy of Kain, God of War (I thought it was a brilliant story, no need for hidden meanings, just straight up revenge!), Bioshock, even Mortal Kombat has a story i've always been interested in.

And yes, how good you perceive a story is subjective, ie: lots of people thought the story/experience of Journey was amazing. It bored me and I actively turn people away from it.

Resident Evil 2 Remake already dominating in sales.

Quality Single Player titles are stronger than ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Venom wrote: »

Horizon Zero Dawn is another good example. Story based, SP, no MTs, one DLC that was a massive expansion.

Cheers.
    I don't want a jack-of-all-trades type because I really want to play my role within a team.

Really looking forward to the demo!

The trick with Anthem seems to be getting a power with the primer ability in one slot and a then one with the detonator ability in the other slot, as unlike a lot of games the mech's abilities refresh pretty fast so can be used very frequently.

Colossus looks like my Tank class. Curious about this, but shoot and loots dont hold my attention for long, so I wonder will this be any different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭divide_by_zero

Don't know if this was mentioned anywhere in this thread but I thought this was an overall good review of the first demo weekend for Anthem.

https://www.businessinsider.com/hands-on-with-anthem-game-2019-1?r=US&IR=T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

CD Project Red is a tiny studio compared to the other players in the market yet had no MT's in the Witcher 3, offered tons of free DLC with it, had very reasonably priced expansions and not only managed to make one of the best games of all time but made a huge profits from it to boot.

What they lose out on in MT they can make up for by not paying staff for overtime and just generally having horrible work conditions:)

https://www.gamezone.com/news/cd-projekt-red-developers-speak-up-on-the-realities-of-working-on-witcher-3-and-cyberpunk-2077-3461430/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I've heard really good things about God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn. It was pretty cool that Insomniac were giving away free suits with that Spider-Man game too.

What console do I need to buy to play them on again?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,333 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well the end game at launch for Anthem is now out... A whopping 3 dungeons or strongholds as they are called (one already in the demo), 3 random quests a day for each factions to go kill stuff and of course random world events...

Better get used loving those strongholds people because that's the only endgame at launch...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

The thing the strikes me more than anything is weapons are practically pointless as they do nothing but tickle enemies while the player waits for skill cooldowns.
    It makes it all a bit **** to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

Dcully wrote: »
    The thing the strikes me more than anything is weapons are practically pointless as they do nothing but tickle enemies while the player waits for skill cooldowns.

Don't worry, you can buy a box of armor piercing rounds for only $5!!

Yeah, weapon damage needs a serious buff as even with level 19 blues the damage off them is pretty weak sauce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

is the open the demo on now ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Lone Stone wrote: »
    is the open the demo on now ?

Yup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Yeah, weapon damage needs a serious buff as even with level 19 blues the damage off them is pretty weak sauce.

I'm guessing this is a deliberate design decision. They want multiplayer engagement (since it's more likely to draw in friends of core players and drive cosmetic sales), and the Prime/Detonation mechanic plays into that - play in a group, sync your specials and feel like a god....pew pew solo and watch paint dry. I doubt it will last. Loot shooters are massive single player draws also and they will eventually have to cater for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

using the collouss with the mini cannon got a level 19 rare one.

it ****s **** up but bigger **** require team work, I think I and you and are missing that part. I actually think everyone is missing that.

Online 2 go for the big guy and one deals with the ADDs until the ADDs become stronger then all 3 deal with the ADDS and when clear focus on the big guy.

I can see how this game is supposed to be played but unless I online with others i know its not gonna happen.

but this is an alpha.beta,demo.... the above is not hard to figure out.....

Its pretty heavy on the GPU on PC,everything at medium on a GTX 1080 @1440p to get somewhat close to 60fps average.

Runs smooth enough even with the drops though.

Cant help but feel theres something not quite right with the controls. Like some sort of acceleration or smoothing going on.

I agree with those earlier that said the guns feels a bit weak against enemies. I wonder does enemy toughness scale with squad size. Would make more sense then.

So far,not bad,ill play a bit over the weekend and see how i feel about it then.

• Administrators Posts: 54,090 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's Destiny.

awec wrote: »
    It's Destiny.

NO!

It's Warframe!

:pac:

• Administrators Posts: 54,090 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

nix wrote: »
    NO!

It's Warframe!

:pac:
    Never played that, but everything about this just reminds me of Destiny.

Even the missions are Destiny. Go to this point, kill some enemies. Go to the next point, perform some action on some obscure object that starts to glow. Defend this objective for a minute. Go to the next point. SOme weird boss-type enemy that your wee ghost-like voice-in-your-head friend doesn't understand.

"The Dominion" would fit in perfectly in Destiny.

It's just Destiny with flying.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    Never played that, but everything about this just reminds me of Destiny.

Even the missions are Destiny. Go to this point, kill some enemies. Go to the next point, perform some action on some obscure object that starts to glow. Defend this objective for a minute. Go to the next point. SOme weird boss-type enemy that your wee ghost-like voice-in-your-head friend doesn't understand.

"The Dominion" would fit in perfectly in Destiny.

It's just Destiny with flying.

I was only joking, the games are all of the same pretty much, Destiny took a lot from Warframe and Anthem is pretty much a mix of both games. Though i do think Warframe resembles Anthem more as it has flying and is also third person and you can also change into different suites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

Like it a lot so far. need good squads to do well. server crashing during missions is very frustrating, hope it's not the case in the full game, you lose all progress

Anyone think its Vanquish?

Enjoying it so far. Ill leave it at that for now

it feels very meh to me, thats my review score a meh.
    The city you are in it's terrible like what are they thinking it sounds like they got audio for the city from some free soundclips website i use to use in college, and the animation loops are a bit odd, mostly because most of them are people in deep conversation and yet they say nothing also it's like a bald person convention.

The gun play while it is enjoyable it has zero oomph to it like so i was watching them shoot the gun's and they no recoil they are held perfectly still while they shoot and the audio for them is fairly flat. All that can be fixed but yea didnt grab me at all. Even the world outside the city felt barren going to be a pass from me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,352 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Lone Stone wrote: »
    it feels very meh to me, thats my review score a meh.
    The city you are in it's terrible like what are they thinking it sounds like they got audio for the city from some free soundclips website i use to use in college, and the animation loops are a bit odd, mostly because most of them are people in deep conversation and yet they say nothing also it's like a bald person convention.

The gun play while it is enjoyable it has zero oomph to it like so i was watching them shoot the gun's and they no recoil they are held perfectly still while they shoot and the audio for them is fairly flat. All that can be fixed but yea didnt grab me at all. Even the world outside the city felt barren going to be a pass from me.

But they are in big armored suits that can fly and fire lasers and gernades. If they can manage that I think the suit can counter recoil :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brianregan09

If the demo has showed me anything it's that a good Iron Man game would definitely be possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Its just like warframe and destiney. Zero fun, Seven crash to desktop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

it's nowhere near as polished as Destiny on console at least, feels very clunky by comparison. I like looter shooters but there's too much on the go at moment for me to get involved at launch.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

No fun on your own? too hard too play on your own?

• Advertisement

It's fine there's matchmaking with randoms, it's not difficult.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

gimli2112 wrote: »
    It's fine there's matchmaking with randoms, it's not difficult.

But like if you were intending too buy with the intention of playing on you're own while possible not recommended?

Yeah I don't know. You start of at level 10 and can rank up to level 15, so it's hard to say.
    In the Destiny Beta there was this tank that took 3 of us 30 minutes to kill in the beta. I could kill it myself now in 30 seconds.

The Beta's not great in that if you go outside the betaworld and don't get back in 4-5 seconds it boots you to a long loading screen. I teamed up with a random and he (it might have been me) kept pulling us out.

Loading times on PS4 Pro are very long. Facial animations remind me of the dead Andromeda characters. Felt pretty meh all round tbh. Nothing stunning but nothing awful.

But like if you were intending too buy with the intention of playing on you're own while possible not recommended?

These games are designed to be played with friends,you can solo most of the content but some is usually gonna want you to be in a squad. Cant see this being different. On the plus side as gimili said nearly all the activities have match making so better for solo players.

The fact is If you just flat out refuse to play with another human being at any point though i cant see this game being for you.

Why not just try the demo?

EoinHef wrote: »
    These games are designed to be played with friends,you can solo most of the content but some is usually gonna want you to be in a squad. Cant see this being different. On the plus side as gimili said nearly all the activities have match making so better for solo players.

The fact is If you just flat out refuse to play with another human being at any point though i cant see this game being for you.

Why not just try the demo?

I don't mind playing with others,happy there's match making, I was just wondering if you could solo it :)

• Advertisement

given how barren and a lifeless i felt the demo was it has me worried about the other area's and the end game zone's, like if this is the foot they put forward as a taster i would be worried about the rest of the game's quality. I will check it out in a few month's it could be great but right now it's a pass, and i wouldn't buy it till i see how bad the MTX's are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Destiny 2 and even the Division did this style of game better imo.

Found it graphiclly sharp but the colours washy. ME andromeda was the same.

Definitely not a game id buy on day one which is disappointing as I've grinded the bejesus out of D2 over the last 2 years and wanted something different.

The customisation of the suits is cool and all but in this day and age, they could release an app for that and you wouldn't miss the rest of the game.

I'll try it on ea Access for the 10 hours on the 15th in the hope the game is more refined from these demos but unfortunately for Bioware, the demo did more to turn me off of it than want it, unlike what Destiny 1's demo did for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

Um, I was just in the middle of a really intense fight on hard mode and we were near the end of taking out the boss before it suddenly booted me out of the servers and I lost all collected loot. :eek:

This just happened to me at the spider boss thing on hard, whole team crash and log back in only to be stuck behind the door, i get bored fighting him on my own and give up and die only for the server to crash! so frustrating.
    This isn't the first time it happened but the one time we had a good squad, if this happens on a regular occasion on the full game it'll die a very quick death. Reminds me of early WoW instance crashes on bosses :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I haven't played the game so I'm not going to comment on how it actually plays but it does look like Destiny 3 to me. I'm a casual gamer, typically like solo games but did like the hop-in hop-out of Destiny: The public events and being able to help someone in a firefight as I passe on a mission of my own. I would play every now and again with friends who, like me, were casual gamers: Maybe meet up once a week for a couple of hours for a chat and home head-shots :)

The problem is though that Destiny 1 very quickly became a desert. You could roam for minutes without seeing a single player. D2 is a bit better at the moment but very repetitive. These games really need to have a good co-op/matchmaking system and also enough variety for people to keep coming back. The problem is: These cost money to develop and a once-off payment of 70 euro just won't cover it. I can see more and more going down a subscription path: Tenner a month for new missions and a quarterly big new area etc.

I mean, if my friends buy it then I will but, apart from that.... I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Had terrible connection issues but that was on my side so can't judge, game looks alright don't think I'll get it until I see more post launch to make a decision.
    Um, I was just in the middle of a really intense fight on hard mode and we were near the end of taking out the boss before it suddenly booted me out of the servers and I lost all collected loot. :eek:

If you get booted got to free play ( the one on the right and not the waterfall outside the city) and then return to the city, you'll get a xp/loot screen and it'll give you the stuff from before you got booted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement