Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anthem

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

BioWare's Anthem demo has started preloading

Dammit, I'm totally on the hype train now. Seems to be discounted -38% on one of the keysites, if anyone is looking.

43.54 gigabyte download

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Not seeing that much of a discount anywhere.
    Well nothing showing up on DLC compare.

One @ €33 other in or around €38-€40 , ive never used the one with cheapest offer.

Ill probably sub to origin access for a month to try it out first, worked great for BF5, got enough in the month to see i didnt want to purchase full game after sub ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The Anthem demo is going to be rather different from the final release. The combat and economy will be very different according to devs.

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1087580631364714497

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Any friends code going?

They're not tied to a platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Venom wrote: »
    The Anthem demo is going to be rather different from the final release. The combat and economy will be very different according to devs.

Heard that spiel from bioware before with Andromeda..

• Advertisement

Well, I suppose they can't let people see how grindy the game really is before they buy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

In fairness Andromeda wasn't them, it was the other Bioware the B team.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Excuse my ignorance but is the point of a demo not to have people play a small section of a game in the hope that you buy the full release? What's the point in releasing a demo of a game that is not the game when it is released?

Its like test driving a 520 BMW for 2 days and then when you go to collect, you are handed the keys for a E Class Merc...

Pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I wouldnt pre order this with some one elses money:P

I hope its good as it looks like my type of game but EA have givin no one any good reason to pre order there games at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

EoinHef wrote: »
    I wouldnt pre order this with some one elses money:P

I hope its good as it looks like my type of game but EA have givin no one any good reason to pre order there games at this point.

Pre-ordered it for about 40 euro on the game collection, should make most of that back anyway if it ends up being rubbish :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

ZiabR wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance but is the point of a demo not to have people play a small section of a game in the hope that you buy the full release? What's the point in releasing a demo of a game that is not the game when it is released?

Its like test driving a 520 BMW for 2 days and then when you go to collect, you are handed the keys for a E Class Merc...

Pointless.

To be honest, some games are very hard to show to gamers as Demo. Perfect example would be Monster Hunter games. They always did a demo and I always tried it. I love MH games since MH3u, but if I would be new to franchise, then I would think it sucks balls. Demo cannot capture the whole concept of the game, where you hunt, improve your gear, try to see if you ready to tackle next bigger monster etc.

So not surprised Anthem can't do that with demo too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

is the demo for everyone this weekend or next ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

To be honest, some games are very hard to show to gamers as Demo. Perfect example would be Monster Hunter games. They always did a demo and I always tried it. I love MH games since MH3u, but if I would be new to franchise, then I would think it sucks balls. Demo cannot capture the whole concept of the game, where you hunt, improve your gear, try to see if you ready to tackle next bigger monster etc.

The demo has faked economy to make things appear to be less grindy to make you level up faster and buy more gear then they will be in the actual game; that's not something hard to show off in a demo...

Lone Stone wrote: »
    is the demo for everyone this weekend or next ?

Feb 1st for everyone. I thought it was already live when I downloaded it last night :(

ZiabR wrote: »

Pointless.

Well, these loot and shoot style games such as Anthem, Destiny and The Division make the player re-do the same content over and over to level up and acquire better gear such as armour, weapons and money as part of the game play loop. The Division, for example, had mobs that took silly amounts of damage to kill when it first launched and this was rather unpopular among its player base. This demo with different combat and economy systems to the final game might make mobs easier to kill or have much higher chances of high-end gear dropping which may result in getting better reviews or looking less of a grind to people watching it being streamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I really just want to see 2 things from the demo:
    1 - How it handles performance wise on my machine.
    2 - How it 'feels', no amount of content or economy changes can fix bad movement and gunplay whereas I can forgive a lot when the latter are satisfying.

The economy will constantly be tuned (hopefully) over time so even if it is not deliberately engineered for hype initially (which it probably will be) I wouldn't expect impressions from the demo to mean much long term anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Looking forward to trying it out personally. This rubbish lately about the economy is just youtubers trying to make drama and get their cash..
    They announced ages ago that the demo economy will be different so that you can get a decent taste of how it will work.
    Things like that pretty much always get tweaked during the live game when something out of place is noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,815 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    2 - How it 'feels', no amount of content or economy changes can fix bad movement and gunplay whereas I can forgive a lot when the latter are satisfying.

The economy will constantly be tuned (hopefully) over time so even if it is not deliberately engineered for hype initially (which it probably will be) I wouldn't expect impressions from the demo to mean much long term anyway.

Movement and shooting were good in the alpha. It was pretty seamless going from running to flying imo. Shooting was fine, not as good as Destiny but still very good.

Only issue I had is you walked extremely slowly once back at the out post.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

If anybody is interested in playing the VIP demo, follow Ben Irving @BenIrvo and Michael Gamble @GambleMike on twitter as they are giving out codes. They are both Lead Producers on the game

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Flashdan

You can get in by having Origin Access on your PC its only 3.99.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Flashdan

_CreeD_ wrote: »

I have played the Alpha on 2 machines. The 1st was i7 9600, GTX 1050 2gb and 8gb DDR3 and it was not worth it. Very blurred backgrounds but it ran ok.

On the 2nd one i had Ryzen 5 2600, RX 560 8gb 8gb DD4 and it runs great on that.

Gun play feels good. I did not like the air and underwater movement but there is sliders for the controls so you can change that.

I don't think there will be an economy as such. There is no player trading even in groups and no auction house. You will be able to by cosmetics like skins, emotes etc (like Overwatch)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Noxin wrote: »
    Looking forward to trying it out personally. This rubbish lately about the economy is just youtubers trying to make drama and get their cash..
    They announced ages ago that the demo economy will be different so that you can get a decent taste of how it will work.
    Things like that pretty much always get tweaked during the live game when something out of place is noticed.
    Bingo. The Quartering dude not only managed to make a 12:48 video based on someone else's article and two tweets from the EP on the project but his subsequent argument is also based on a blatant falsehood - that the demo is the version of the game that the reviewers are going to get.

After getting called out on this fact by the Lead Producer of the game, rather than apologising and taking the video down he instead said he'd do so tomorrow (now today, he still hasn't) and spent the next couple of hours arguing with people about said video while keeping it pinned on his Twitter with an equally atrocious tagline.

I'd like to say I'm surprised, but I'm not.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I know countless people who tried the cracked version of monster hunter world on PC and though it sucked after 90 minutes playtime.
    The thing is the real activity and draw of it doest happen until 5 hours+ but once you hit this point theres no going back.
    Incredible game easily one of my favourites now of all time.
    Shame it still has ****ty console textures though.

My point is its nigh on impossible to demo a looter style game, the real attraction and reason to keep coming back for more doesnt happen until well into these games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Dcully wrote: »
    Not seeing that much of a discount anywhere.
    Well nothing showing up on DLC compare.

One @ €33 other in or around €38-€40 , ive never used the one with cheapest offer.

I noticed this morning that the percentage changes depending on if you get the Demo with the Game or not. They actually sell the demo separately on which is new to me. Are we allowed to mentioned the website names?

I was able to preload the demo last night but i'm not sure if they will ask me for a key tomorrow or not. I'll probably just end up getting it on Origin too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Will this be available to play using the game pass?

Dcully wrote: »
    I know countless people who tried the cracked version of monster hunter world on PC and though it sucked after 90 minutes playtime.
    The thing is the real activity and draw of it doest happen until 5 hours+ but once you hit this point theres no going back.
    Incredible game easily one of my favourites now of all time.
    Shame it still has ****ty console textures though.

My point is its nigh on impossible to demo a looter style game, the real attraction and reason to keep coming back for more doesnt happen until well into these games.

I really must give monster hunter a proper look. On paper it sounded like my kind of game but the demo left me scratching my head, and likely for the reason you mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Will this be available to play using the game pass?

Do you mean Xbox Game Pass ? Then no.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Do you mean Xbox Game Pass ? Then no.

Ya that one, damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Well, I suppose they can't let people see how grindy the game really is before they buy it!

Nothing wrong with a reasonable grind tbf, i'm more concerned that i've heard those words before from the same studio, regardless of which division it was, the company as a whole is responsible for the state a game is released in, be that good or woeful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

ive it preloaded with some friends but my level of hype/hope is pretty much at rock bottom. Most games as a service games ive played have been trash

Advertisement