Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anthem

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

This is going to be a huge test for EA/Bioware. They will be brought to their knees in a few weeks with the launch of Division 2.

Now if they keep working hard they'll gradually build a massive playerbase and the game will eventually come good. I am guessing at the 1 year mark. There will be lots more content and updates by then.

The problem is EA. If something doesn't go their way they just scrap it and move on. I just can't see EA having the patience to stick with the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Just done the javelin of new dawn. Bastardo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Was it not only Mass Effect Andromeda that happened too?

What other games have they published that they have done that too?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

This is going to be a huge test for EA/Bioware. They will be brought to their knees in a few weeks with the launch of Division 2.

Now if they keep working hard they'll gradually build a massive playerbase and the game will eventually come good. I am guessing at the 1 year mark. There will be lots more content and updates by then.

The problem is EA. If something doesn't go their way they just scrap it and move on. I just can't see EA having the patience to stick with the game.

That and they are already operating in a very crowded market place, we have Division 2, Destiny 2, we have the traditional MMO's and we also have halo infinity on the horizon.

The one thing that could have set this game apart was the story but apparently its very lacking.

As i have seen elsewhere dragon age may be the last chance saloon for bioware.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Well the gameplay also sets it apart,much more mobility than destiny,and way faster paced than the division.

The game also focuses much more on abilities/combos than gunplay. So it has a niche imo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

gimli2112 wrote: »
    EA have history in putting games for sale quick. I not only bought BFV at launch for me I also got it for my brother. Could have waited a few weeks and got them for half price.
    Well initial sales numbers are in from the UK; it sold half of what ME:A sold in the first week and about 10% volume compared to Destiny (and about 20% of what Destiny 2 sold in the first week). That's not good news in any shape or form...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

yeah the sales look bad but they're comparing it to Destiny which launched 2.5 years ago and it's physical sales only. Digital sales must be a bigger % of overall sales nowadays. Destiny 2 did a lot worse than the first one too in the same comparison. Apex Legends/EA access and other titles all hurt sales considerably I'd say

Anthem still sold poorly and it's hard to put a positive spin on the figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Whilst I have no doubt that digital sales won't make up the numbers to the extent needed, these sales figures really don't hold much value to me as digital becomes increasingly popular. Until these charts start taking both physical and digital into account I won't pay much heed

Like with battlefield 5 you would be very stupid to ignore initial physical sales. Also comparing it to destiny and saying they have had 2 years is a bit ridiculous as they would have based any comparison off of initial sales.

Either way the damage right now is not only the negative sales, but also the negative reviews and now perception.

They could turn it around but the question is will they have time considering what's coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

It looks like someone playing Destiny as Iron Man.
    I'll be keeping an eye on it but it doesn't interest me enough to warrant a purchase.
    Yet.
    I am becoming more interested in this from what I've seen.
    Might pick it up next week.
    So I bought this when it turned out I'd taken care of all my bills.
    Oh well, a new version of chase the shiny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Calhoun wrote: »
    Like with battlefield 5 you would be very stupid to ignore initial physical sales. Also comparing it to destiny and saying they have had 2 years is a bit ridiculous as they would have based any comparison off of initial sales.

Either way the damage right now is not only the negative sales, but also the negative reviews and now perception.

They could turn it around but the question is will they have time considering what's coming.

I wouldn't bet on them being able to turn it around as the biggest complaint I've seen mentioned pretty much everywhere, is the crazy amount of loading screens in this game and to correct something like that, would require an insane amount of development time alone in re-coding vast amounts of the game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

They wouldn't need to change that much. Just make the launch bay better, with quicker loading into the Forge and allow all missions to start from there. It'll never have no loading, it just needs less individual loading screens.

Venom wrote: »
    I wouldn't bet on them being able to turn it around as the biggest complaint I've seen mentioned pretty much everywhere, is the crazy amount of loading screens in this game and to correct something like that, would require an insane amount of development time alone in re-coding vast amounts of the game.

This is like classic bioware lol, remember the stupid elevators in Mass Effect 1.

The best analysis i have seen on the problems with the game is below, its not specific to Anthem but how the forced usage of the frostbite engine without the teams being ready to use it has led to the current situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS0bec8dnqI

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

This is like classic bioware lol, remember the stupid elevators in Mass Effect 1.

The best analysis i have seen on the problems with the game is below, its not specific to Anthem but how the forced usage of the frostbite engine without the teams being ready to use it has led to the current situation.

EA's insistence regarding its various studios having to use the Frostbite engine causes so much grief for themselves in the long run. I recall ME: Andromeda ran into horrendous development issues due to having to use it and meant a large proportion of the features that game was supposed to have, ended up being scrapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

The elevators in ME were used to hide the streaming in of the next section of the level though, it was a rather interesting solution to the classic loading screen problem. Unfortunately the push back was so severe that they ended up ditching them in favour of "fancy" loading screens for the sequel.

The video is decent although he does seem to have missed the fact that EA do have a separate Frostbite team to work on the engine. The problem seems to lie with what they're trying to do with Frostbite though. They clearly have a powerful core engine in place but the gameplay systems sitting on top have needed to be built, from scratch, by each of the development teams in the external studios without the in-house expertise in how the engine itself was created. This appears to be what has led to the problems we've seen across its use on the non-Battlefield projects.

Compare that to Ubisoft whom that dude also brought up. They have their AnvilNext engine which has been used, in various iterations, for a variety of third person action games across numerous studios over the last decade. Note, however, that it hasn't been used for either the first person Far Cry series, GTA-esque Watch_Dogs games or straight up racing titles of The Crew. While there has been some technology sharing between these studios, each one is essentially built on their own unique engine.

Essentially, you either go bespoke with your own tech and attempt to limit your potential use-case(s) with your project(s) or bring in a third party engine which has been built from the ground up to be as generic as possible for you to build upon. Trying to sit somewhere in the middle is exactly the reason why you don't see many large scale open-world games built in Unreal Engine.

Oh the Interceptor is a lot of fun.
    Who needs guns when you can twirl through a fight cutting everything down.
    The shields recharging faster if you keep your speed up makes for great guerilla fighting.

Looking forward to starting proper now I've the basics unlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Oh the Interceptor is a lot of fun.
    The shields recharging faster if you keep your speed up makes for great guerilla fighting.

Looking forward to starting proper now I've the basics unlocked.

There is a masterworked machine pistol that when you shoot it point blank, you deal 100% extra melee damage for 3 seconds and it stacks.

The fun you have as an interceptor with that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

So from what I have been told. If you want to run high level strongholds:

Grand Master 1 - Minimum Gearscore 400
    Grand Master 2 - Minimum Gearscore 450-475
    Grand Master 3 - Minimum Gearscore 500

I have a bit to go yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Andy Gravity

Cancelled Origin Premier last night. The core game play is fun and the world is gorgeous but there's just not enough end game at the moment, plus the broken masterworks, misc bugs and terrible drop rates have me logging in less and less in the last few days.

Made it to 486 power and I had a lot of fun with it but will wait for a few months (Cataclysms in May?) and try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭redt0m

Playing a Ranger at the moment. Watched a few Interceptor vids - does it ever feel a bit hack'n'slashy? Warframe suffered a bit from that at times, wondering if this is similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

redt0m wrote: »
    Playing a Ranger at the moment. Watched a few Interceptor vids - does it ever feel a bit hack'n'slashy? Warframe suffered a bit from that at times, wondering if this is similar.

I think it depends on your load-out and its also good to remember that interceptor can be weak in melee against bosses, i use a good mix of things with mine so never feels too hack/slash

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Former Diablo 3 Designer, Travis Day posted his opinions and suggestions on how to fix Anthem's loot issues

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGame/comments/ato54p/reward_structure_issues_and_ideas/

I've been playing Anthem for the last week and really enjoying myself. However the game seems to fall into a number of reward system related traps that I wanted to take a moment to point out and offer some possible solutions to in an effort to help make this game, which I'm enjoying, more compelling.

"Dead" inscriptions -

By now I suspect many people have seen items roll with stats that they don't understand. TLDR Man icon means it effects everything you do, Cog icon means it only effects the item that it rolled on. Currently the game allows for items to roll inscriptions that literally can not effect the item they are on. Example, Venmous Blaze with item specific Physical damage, +% Weapon damage, or +% Cold damage.

Having items roll affixes that are sub-optimal is standard practice for this kind of game but I think there should be a hard distinction made between "bad" and "literally doesn't work". Currently this causes a considerable amount of confusion for players learning the game as their initial assumption is to think anything an item rolled will work on the item it rolled on. Since that isn't true I assume the design intent was to create a larger spectrum of item power based on the rolls, I would argue it comes with too many drawbacks. Keeping the spectrum of item power large could easily be accomplished by simply changing the relative weighting of affixes while restricting them to things that actual work on the item. Alternatively items could have an affix range, MW could roll 2-4 or 3-4 properties on creation so that there is still the same amount of item variance but the affixes that show up continue to still "work" on whatever they rolled on.

Risk vs Reward -

This is a pretty common pitfall that a lot of games run into, the games I worked on included. It's always going to be subject to some amount of individual perception about what is easy vs what is hard. At present it seems that the 3 strongholds have different relative tuning of the final boss encounters, the Tyrant < Temple of Scar < Heart of Rage in terms of overall difficulty. The first time I went to fight the Heart of Rage boss it took 30 minutes for my group to defeat the end boss, relative to the time it takes to kill the Tyrant this felt wildly disproportionate. My take was that they didn't have many dungeons so they wanted them to effectively be tiered in difficulty, unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any reward incentive to justify the scaling between the 3 dungeons within a given difficulty setting. Even ignoring that particular case the difficulty between the Tyrant boss and the Scar boss is vast based purely on the invul windows and the difference in fighting swarms of spiders vs swarms of scar enemies.

There are a number of potential solutions on that front, whether it's bringing the dungeons into the same relative difficulty scale or increasing the rewards to match the difficulty. Either direction is reasonable depending on the design goals, but at present it's considerably mismatched in both directions.

Lack of incentive for random strongholds -

I'll put this here since it's directly related to the stronghold issue and whether or not this is even addressed is determined by the solution to the above stronghold risk vs reward issue. If the intent is that dungeons are tiered then this isn't something that needs to be addressed, if the intent is that dungeons are comprable in difficulty then the lack of a bonus or incentive to diversify which dungeon I run is an issue. Players will generally follow the path of least resistance, at present that means run Tyrant mines repeatedly. This also increases the speed at which players will "burn out" since the game feels shallow and lacks variety.

There is a lot to be said for diversity of combat environments and situations. While I personally am enjoying trying to optimize my path through Tyrant mines it is certainly making me bore of the, somewhat limited, content that is available.

Simple solve assuming dungeons are roughly equal in challenge is add a random stronghold to the available mission ques and attach some kind of luck/magic find bonus for doing it.

Player agency / targeted farming -

I like the recent change to help distinguish the different activities from each other. Strongholds always drop a MW skill, legendary contracts always drop a MW class mod. Giving players a degree of agency over their rng is great, in this kind of game players will always set goals "I want item X" "I want to make build Y" the typical point of frustration is when players can't deviate their gameplay patterns to work towards whatever goals they set. At present I can chain run strongholds to try to hunt for specific skills, and thats great, unfortunately legendary contracts aren't something I can explicitly farm. I can do the couple I get each day, and I in theory could chain que quickplay in hopes of getting match made into more, but that leads to que dodging behavior.

If the intent is to give players agency over their activity they need to be able to actually commit to that choice. At present if my goal is get better class mods I have a very limited degree of control after which I'm, unfortunately, incentivized back into dungeon farming. One large problem there is that MW skills have tremendously different value depending on how I'm trying to approach the game, if I want to be a Storm who has incredibly well rolled skills and shoots guns as filler or buffs (looking at you Elemental Rage) then this is great, but if I'm a Colossus who uses my skills for their utility and focuses primarily on the damage output of my gun then farming dungeons isn't reasonably moving me closed towards my desired goals.

Personally I like the idea of leaning into different activities guaranteeing me different item slots, the only real problem here is that I can't make that choice every time I enter a que. Skills are covered by dungeons, components have limited coverage based on players inability to chain que them, and weapons have no activity directly offering them.

Lack of granularity in difficulty -

Given the structure of loot in this game, the relative power level of any 2 given players doing the same content at end game can be enormous. Players goal is to find better items and continue advancing through the content and challenges. As it stands the difficulty jump between GM1 and GM2 is big enough that once you reach the point where GM1 feels trivial and attempt to enter GM2 you find enemies feeling like bullet sponges who 1 shot the frailer classes in the party. I love a good challenge but going from "this is trivial" to "this is hard and definitely not worth the time and energy" causes players to continue farming content that is "easy" without ever feeling they should put themselves in positions where they are reasonably challenged.

Ultimately for this style of game I think you want players to have peaks and vallies of challenge where they enter a new tier, feel like they want to find things that help them survive as they continue to expand their knowledge of the ai of creatures, eventually gaining enough stronger gear to where the challenge feels moderate to low, and eventually transition into the next difficulty tier. Going from hard to GM1 felt great, the early power jumps provided by the introduction of MW felt good, GM1 went from being "holy ****" hard to "this is trivial" over the course of MW and legendary acquisition. Unfortunately the transition from GM1 to GM2 doesn't deliver that experience.

Tuning content for a power band as high as these types of games allow is difficult and it's important that the risk vs reward not push players into thinking the correct thing to do is fight impossibly hard content because they are Over rewarded. Either tuning for GM2/3 needs revision or new intermediate difficulties should exist.

The end -
    I hope this sparks positive conversations about the parts of the reward system in need of attention. I've been enjoying the game greatly and am intimately familiar with all the problems that come with trying to set up reward structures for a game of this nature, hopefully this is useful and can contribute to Anthem becoming an even stronger game over time.

Thanks for reading to the end. :)

redt0m wrote: »
    Playing a Ranger at the moment. Watched a few Interceptor vids - does it ever feel a bit hack'n'slashy?
    Warframe suffered a bit from that at times, wondering if this is similar.
    It can be if you don't change tactics but I'm enjoying it though so why not.
    You see, knives never run out of bullets. :D
    Never played Warframe.

Tend to fight the bosses from range until I get my ultimate.
    I get put with a lot of Rangers and Colossus who only have eyes for big targets, if they can stay out of trouble I work the sides on mob control while flicking some acid onto tougher enemies that I or teammates are fighting.

Zooming around, twirling and flipping is great craic. Got my power to 31 will be at it again later.

Find your preferred style and run with it I'd say.

Former Diablo 3 Designer, Travis Day posted his opinions and suggestions on how to fix Anthem's loot issues

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGame/comments/ato54p/reward_structure_issues_and_ideas/

He talks alot of sense, Bioware would do well to listen. This man is a legend on the Diablo scene and is partly responsible for it being so successful. You also have to remember that he had a big role in WoW and is also working on a new MMO.

He knows how to build a game around rewards and loot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

The Angry Joe crew had a long discussion on what they felt is lacking in the game; one of their members spent over 70 hours farming strongholds and got every single legendary weapon in game and they are not happy with the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Nody wrote: »
    The Angry Joe crew had a long discussion on what they felt is lacking in the game; one of their members spent over 70 hours farming strongholds and got every single legendary weapon in game and they are not happy with the game.

Knowing Joes history with Destiny, and how vocal he was on it's flaws (and it did have some), it is funny to see him refer to it positively in relation to Anthem. He does conceed that hindsight is 20/20.

I haven't played Anthem beyond the demo (wasn't overly impressed), but the stuff he highlights in the first 30 mins is worrying for the games longevity, which is a pity. I've read here and on other forums that underneath the issues, there is actually a decent game there, which is a shame that everything else couldn't be nailed down.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

When Travis Day talks about loot, Bioware need to listen and listen hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

The game needs more loot, it's just not a deep enough pool at the moment. It's like the Destiny 2 Edge Transit nade launcher epidemic on fcuking steroids. It's fairly problematic when your endgame is about grinding content on higher difficulties as well, **** gets old fast when the loot isn't varied enough to keep things interesting.

I really like.the game and the potential is great but coming back in May could be a good shout.

goon_magee wrote: »
    The game needs more loot, it's just not a deep enough pool at the moment. It's like the Destiny 2 Edge Transit nade launcher epidemic on fcuking steroids. It's fairly problematic when your endgame is about grinding content on higher difficulties as well, **** gets old fast when the loot isn't varied enough to keep things interesting.

I really like.the game and the potential is great but coming back in May could be a good shout.

I expect patches every 2 weeks on this game. We have already had 2 since the 22nd.

Once the first ACT hits, that will hopefully mark the start of the game making serious improvements.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I didnt watch that angry video [gave up on him last year or so when he turned from being funny to annoying as fcuk] but yer man saynotorage lastnight on twitch ripped it apart and pointed out the same flaws as he did with skillups video.
    He particularly called out the claim of having every masterwork in the game as utter BS.

Advertisement