Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One [Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

cintec wrote: »
    Which is better the black(aluminium) version or the aluminium version in relation to scratching,

I want to get it pre pay do any of the carriers currently sell it pre pay if so what price would i be looking at.

The Silver does better to deter fingerprint and scratches since its the natural colour of the alloy used.

The black is anodised so will probably wont hide imperfections as well.
    polaris68 wrote: »
    There were problems with early batches of the One x last year as well.

I think waiting a few months for phone manufacturers to sort out problems that emerge when they launch their new phones into the real world is generally a wise move.

+1
    Il be waiting till late May, I think issues will be sorted with the mid April batch of phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

Can people check the following for me if they wouldn't mind?
    The Speaker grill at the top is perfectly flush with the polycarbonate strip, however the bottom one juts out a fraction of a mil around the corners revealing a sharpish edge. Is this just mine or is the bottom grill perfectly flush for others? Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Checked it there. Mine seems totally flush all the way around. What CID is yours on? itd be interesting to see if its a batch issue as oppose to a general issue

Thanks, not sure of CID. Anyone else notice any imperfections? I seem to also have the following;

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2224711

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭jones

Mines the opposite the joint between my screen and speaker is perfectly flush at the bottom but there's a slight ridge on top (not at the corners though)...its a non issue for me and i wouldnt call it sharp so maybe yours is more extreme

• Advertisement

Umm that's different, I have the ridge between top grille and glass screen also. But the bottom grille right at the bottom juts out further and so over shoots the polycarbonate strip by a tiny fraction of a mil. Nothing major, but if I thought my phone was one of a few, I'd consider replacing it.

Ah i know what you mean no mine is different so

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Just realised something that's been bugging me.
    The backlight on the two hardware keys either side of the HTC logo only seems to come on for a second when I press the power button, but other than that they're always off.
    I find I'm occasionally straying into the bottom action bar by mistake, plus using the phone in the dark is a pain.

On my old Desire HD, the four keys are always backlit while the screen is unlocked.

Anyone else got the same issue? Wondering if it's a fault or a setting I've accidentally changed somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Sorry to say that for me those button lights stay on untill the screen sleeps

Same as mine! Never noticed it before. Comes on all nice and glowy then just fades out :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭calabi yau

Can people check the following for me if they wouldn't mind?
    The Speaker grill at the top is perfectly flush with the polycarbonate strip, however the bottom one juts out a fraction of a mil around the corners revealing a sharpish edge. Is this just mine or is the bottom grill perfectly flush for others? Thanks in advance :)

Yes there is an overhang issue with bottom speaker cover. It's well documented in Xda developers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Sorry to say that for me those button lights stay on untill the screen sleeps
    antodeco wrote: »
    Same as mine! Never noticed it before. Comes on all nice and glowy then just fades out :(

Apparently it's light sensor related, they only come on when the phone thinks it's dark enough. I'm nearly sure they weren't working in the dark a few days ago, must have imagined it.

They're staying on for me now as it's getting dark in the room, if I hold the phone close to the window they go off.

MOH wrote: »
    Apparently it's light sensor related, they only come on when the phone thinks it's dark enough. I'm nearly sure they weren't working in the dark a few days ago, must have imagined it.

They're staying on for me now as it's getting dark in the room, if I hold the phone close to the window they go off.

Ha! I was coming on to post similar. Stays on when now that its dark in the house!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

antodeco wrote: »
    Ha! I was coming on to post similar. Stays on when now that its dark in the house!

Hmm, could it be time related? I'm sitting here under a light and they stay on until the screen timeout. Earlier they were off all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blinked_Missed It

Got my One delivered yesterday and honestly I'm seriously pissed off. My fears over HTC rushing production might have come true, at least for me. The whole front face of the phone is lower than the polycarbonate middle strip. This results in sharp edges both top and bottom. The LCD screen is also raised at the top and lower at the bottom leading to more exposed edges.

Additionally the finishing on the inside of the 3.5mm jack is awful. I've seen better chinese KIRF's. Its shoddy and unacceptable on a premium device. Coming from an iphone 4 and after reading about the spectacular build quality in reviews I was hoping for something at least equal but this isn't it. I know mine is a faulty unit but simply the materials and general finishing are not as good as Apple and HTC need to sort this crap out. After 1 night out in the city were it spent its time on a pub table it already has a noticeable scratch on the back (its the silver model). In 2 years of heavy use (and pub nights out) my iphone has only 3 scratches. This thing is going to look like its been used as a football on concrete within a month if its not put in a case.

It is a beautiful device so don't think I'm some Apple fanboy idiot bashing on Android. I went with the One as I'm sick of fighting Apple's cult-like control and the prioritization of PR ignorance over innovation (they've done nothing but steal others ideas since late 2010). I love Blinkfeed, the screen is gorgeous and the audio quality while using headphones (you've all heard about the front speakers which are the best out there so there is no point in going into detail) is better than any device I've ever used. I'm using €200+ UE TripleFi 10's which are incredible in ear monitors with a reputation for clarity and sound stage (and for being merciless if a tracks recording quality is poor) and the HTC One picks out individual instruments like nothing I've ever heard. The soundstage is vast, highs sparkle, mids are clear and defined. Stereo positioning is jaw-dropping on a high bitrate mp3. Its the 1st phone I can emphatically state demands high quality recorded content, maybe even FLAC. This isn't iPod quality, this is Cowon quality. I'll have to run tests on the bass before commenting as the tips I'm using on the TripleFi's are tuned for mids & treble so it would be unfair to judge that yet.

After I reported the handset faulty to eMobile 2 hours after it was delivered their response was all they could do was to send out a jiffy bag to get me to send it back to them and wait for a replacement. So tomorrow I'm going to give an eMobile manager a very bad day. My advice is if your getting a One get it in a shop. Open the unit there and then right after purchase and check everything.

Edit: Add a stuck green pixel to the list of faults.

Edit 2: Don't drop this thing onto anything other than a bed of feathers if you don't want damage. Phone dropped 3ft from a desk onto a plastic gaming steering wheel foot pedal. Chamfered edge now has a dent in it. My iPhone 4 has made the same unfortunate journey several times with no damage whatsoever. Pretty the HTC One may be but it has the consistency of a bar of soap.

calabi yau wrote: »
    Yes there is an overhang issue with bottom speaker cover. It's well documented in Xda developers

wow, thats not good! Without reading the thread, is it some or all phones? Thanks.

Got my One delivered yesterday and honestly I'm seriously pissed off. My fears over HTC rushing production might have come true, at least for me. The whole front face of the phone is lower than the polycarbonate middle strip. This results in sharp edges both top and bottom. The LCD screen is also raised at the top and lower at the bottom leading to more exposed edges.

It would seem mine is same, although I dont have the sharp edges at the top, I certainly do at the bottom...

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭randel

No issues with build quality on mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

randel wrote: »
    No issues with build quality on mine.

Mine is perfectly flush at all the seams too. I got mine yesterday from expansys so I don't know what batch it is.

^^Any pics of the non flush surfaces or poor finishing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Jesus Christ

Mine is being delivered today, having a crap week so predicting a duffer. Can anyone remember where that quality check guide is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Mine's grand, the build quality is as good as all the reviews said. I bought a case for mine in a vodafone shop, there's no way I'd risk an expensive phone without one. It must suck to have gotten a dodgy one and emobile should do more to sort you out quicker if it's an obvious problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Jesus Christ

It would be interesting to see where the dodgy ones came from, i.e. $x from eMobile, $y from Amazon, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 schriss

Mine is perfect. Got it from Clove.co.uk
    Very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

It would be interesting to see where the dodgy ones came from, i.e. $x from eMobile, $y from Amazon, etc.

Good idea might help those with dodgy ones.

Mine is perfect there is a slight ridge where the top of the screen meets the speaker but its so slight you'd only notice it if running your finger downwards apart from that quality is perfect. Delighted with the One and best phone i've owned to date

Is there any info I can provide on batch numbers etc. WIll try and get some shots of the poor build on mine but ironically the only camera I have that I think will pick it up is the one on the One :)

Sorry for the general Android question on a One thread but in your opinions whats the best email app for Android. Also why are there 2 of them on every endroid phone by default. I need a client that will fit the body to width as the iphone does and its essential (maybe to the point of returning the phone) I can display notifications of new mails, sms etc on the lock screen. I've used Lockinfo on my iphones for years and its the primary reason I've stayed with IOS till now. I've seen Lockerpro but I've been having configuration problems with the 1st install. The HTC One Productivity lockscreen doesn't seem to be doing what its meant to, no alerts for email only sms. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭alanzo27

Here are some images of some of the defects on my One. Not the best quality as I took them on a Galaxy Ace.

I actually cant see anything wrong in those photos? Whilst I dont doubt there is not an issue, could it be a case of looking for something for the sake of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 schriss

Sorry for the general Android question on a One thread but in your opinions whats the best email app for Android. Also why are there 2 of them on every endroid phone by default. I need a client that will fit the body to width as the iphone does and its essential (maybe to the point of returning the phone) I can display notifications of new mails, sms etc on the lock screen. I've used Lockinfo on my iphones for years and its the primary reason I've stayed with IOS till now. I've seen Lockerpro but I've been having configuration problems with the 1st install. The HTC One Productivity lockscreen doesn't seem to be doing what its meant to, no alerts for email only sms. Any ideas?

For me the best email app is GMail because it manages my other POP3 accounts and does that on google servers rather than on my local device, and so conserves battery. And I'm yet to see a better email client that is designed to be used with fingers.

Productivity lockscreen has Settings and by default emails are unselected. Then, there is separate setting under Security menu, it's related to showing messages on lockscreen.
    I'm now trying to enable the same.

EDIT: I have read that it might work with HTC Email only, but others say it works with GMail, so not sure...
    Text Messages have separate setting for that too, just like Calls have, both need to have Notifications Preview on lockscreen enabled.

Advertisement