Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One [Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

Just rang them there and you have to be within two months of the end of your contract to get an upgrade.

I'd prefer to hold onto the 15Gb data allowance so I'll wait until September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Jesus Christ

antodeco wrote: »
    I changed from the select unlimited to the unlited talk and text with data. Basically im dropping from 15GB to 5GB, the package goes from the €35 price point to €39, and I got the phone for €119!

They tell me on the phone that the earliest they'll upgrade is 5 months before expiry. (I'm on an 18 month contract, I'd guess it's different for 12 or 24.)

EDIT: Clash with above. She did say 2 months to me initially, but later said 5 months. Perhaps it's 2 months for 12 month contracts and 5 months for 18?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Blinked_Missed It

Was just looking around for some form of solution to the HTC One slipping from peoples hands and found these gloves. I know we're coming into summer but its an Irish summer so it could still be baltic enough to use them. I'm sure there are loads of other grippy ones around

http://www.examiner.com/review/agloves-winter-touchscreen-gloves-get-grippy

Was trying to find a micro-usb wrist strap which might prevent the One being knocked out of your hand in the street (or the snatch and grab routine from scumbags). I can find them for iphones were they attach via a plate to the base of the iphone with screws but no low profile 90 degree angled ones which would suit the One. If anyone has heard of one I'd appreciate if you could drop a comment or a link.

They tell me on the phone that the earliest they'll upgrade is 5 months before expiry. (I'm on an 18 month contract, I'd guess it's different for 12 or 24.)

EDIT: Clash with above. She did say 2 months to me initially, but later said 5 months. Perhaps it's 2 months for 12 month contracts and 5 months for 18?

I'm on an 18 month contract and was told 2 months. Knowing emobile - if we rang back again and spoke to someone else we'd get the upgrade for free today!

Great thread on cases for the HTC One

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2171713

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Does the new ONE have a wireless hotspot like the older phones ?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,434 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Yep! Havent used it yet though!

imitation wrote: »
    Does the new ONE have a wireless hotspot like the older phones ?

Yeah, and it works perfectly. Had a friend connect with an ipad the other day.

On another note, have somehow managed to get two tiny marks on the phone over the last couple of days. One is a tiny chip on the edge of the bottom, in certain light it is fairly visible. Also got a puncture type mark into the plastic around the edge. Don't know how either was done, as I'm pretty careful. Bit peed off though, because I order a case on eBay coming from London on the 30th of March, was dispatched a week ago, and still no sign....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

antodeco wrote: »
    I had the same issue. Just wouldnt do anything. Seemed dead. Hold down the bottom volume button and then hold the power button for a few seconds at the same time. Came back alive and no issues since!

I tried this and no joy. Went into VF shop today after trying to charge it several times and the young fella in the shop plugged it in and we had lights!:rolleyes: Typical! I must've looked like a right eejit.
    Basil3 wrote: »
    It should be noted that it's not good to run a Li-Po battery completely dead, lots of small frequent charges are better.

Duly noted. I won't be doing that again!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭ofcork

If some phones are overheating they could be faulty,i had that issue with a sensation and it had to go back.

• Advertisement

I tried this and no joy. Went into VF shop today after trying to charge it several times and the young fella in the shop plugged it in and we had lights!:rolleyes: Typical! I must've looked like a right eejit.

I haven't seen the HTC One AC charger yet as my phone isn't arriving till tomorrow but is it possible the vodafone guy was using a higher powered 10W usb adapter rather than the usual 5W adapters supplied with most phones. It might have acted like an ignition due to the higher output.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I haven't seen the HTC One AC charger yet as my phone isn't arriving till tomorrow but is it possible the vodafone guy was using a higher powered 10W usb adapter rather than the usual 5W adapters supplied with most phones. It might have acted like an ignition due to the higher output.

That might explain it. He was using a universal charger as far as I could see. Must have a look at the power on my (now functioning) htc charger. I suppose it'd act like a jumpstart.

Just checked the my upgrade price on meteor and its €30pm and €200.
    New customers get it for €200 and €25pm, plus you can buy it through fatcheese.

I presume the S4 is going to be much more expensive? Anyone got ideas of pricing yet?

Just checked the my upgrade price on meteor and its €30pm and €200.
    New customers get it for €200 and €25pm, plus you can buy it through fatcheese.

I presume the S4 is going to be much more expensive? Anyone got ideas of pricing yet?

If your happy to pay the €25pm and €200 why not just transfer your contract from your €30pm to PAYG (keeping your number) for 1 day then go back up to contract on the €25pm. When I was moving from my €25pm emobile contract to my €34.50 to get better pricing on a Galaxy S2 thats what I did. It was the emobile staff who told me to do it. I did need to do a sim change but that was all. Ask them if its possible to go CT to PAYG through them on the phone and re-contract online to avail of the Fatcheese discounts.

Regards the S4 I'm pretty sure its going to be about the same price as the One as they are both flagship phones. The Xperia Z as Sony's flagship seems to have similar pricing to the One and Samsung would not be happy if carriers priced their new plastic pet out of the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭jones

Got a nice case off ebay as per someones advice here (cant find who now) its the proGel Skin case and fits nice and snug on the one! plus it was only £7 delivered

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

I had the same problem with a brand new One, phone charged ok and the light went green. Then I plugged it out and it wouldnt turn on at all, even the reset trick didnt work.

I left it plugged in for about 5-10 mins and no charging LED came on so I held the power button down for about 10 seconds then pressed it a few times and it came on. Working fine now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Ordered an unlocked HTC One via Clove,will not delivered until early May!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

seligehgit wrote: »
    Ordered an unlocked HTC One via Clove,will not delivered until early May!:(

Ouch, HTC seem to be prioritising carriers, Meteor are selling it unlocked for €530 is it too late to cancel?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,997 ✭✭✭✭event

Looking to get one myself with meteor
    hope they are back in soon, don't wanna wait too long.
    Im on a sim only plan but was told today by cc i can transfer over no bother without notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭4real

beno619 wrote: »
    Ouch, HTC seem to be prioritising carriers, Meteor are selling it unlocked for €530 is it too late to cancel?

are you sure its unlocked? which store cz i checked at blanchardstown store and they quoted me €569

• Advertisement

4real wrote: »
    are you sure its unlocked? which store cz i checked at blanchardstown store and they quoted me €569

I'm not 100% that's what I was told in the grafton st. branch.

Can anybody that picked up the phone from Meteor confirm ?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭motownman

I'm not 100% that's what I was told in the grafton st. branch.

Can anybody that picked up the phone from Meteor confirm ?

Is there an easy way to check? I picked mine up at Meteor in Blanchardstown on Sunday.

I don't have any other networks sim card to try

motownman wrote: »
    Is there an easy way to check? I picked mine up at Meteor in Blanchardstown on Sunday.

I don't have any other networks sim card to try

It was posted here a few days ago, use the app cid getter.

If your CID is HTC_001 or similar then it's unlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭randel

Got my unlocked htc one from expanses today. Nice change from 4 years of iPhones.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭motownman

It was posted here a few days ago, use the app cid getter.

If your CID is HTC_001 or similar then it's unlocked.

Checked it and my CID is HTC_001 alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭micknail

Apologies for being too lazy to read back, but am I better off buying a sim free Htc One online or what shops in Ireland have it unlocked and for how much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Jesus Christ

Amazon have moved my despatch estimate back to today (Thu). I wonder did they get them in early or are they just teasing..... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭4real

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056567998/15

looks like some people are having issues with the build quality already.
    does anyone here have same issues?

There were problems with early batches of the One x last year as well.

I think waiting a few months for phone manufacturers to sort out problems that emerge when they launch their new phones into the real world is generally a wise move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭cintec

Which is better the black(aluminium) version or the aluminium version in relation to scratching,

I want to get it pre pay do any of the carriers currently sell it pre pay if so what price would i be looking at.

Advertisement