Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One [Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Yep, tried that too. No lights at all. Back to the shop with this baby and just as I was getting used to it too. I hope there's no mental delay with fixing/replacing it.:(

That's happened with my nexus 7 a few times and I just have to leave it plugged in. After a day or so it works again.

If a phone comes unbranded, does that imply that any updates to Android, say Key Lime Pie, will be available immediately after HTC have done their bit and we won't have to wait for networks to put their nonsense on too?

Best thing to do is use the app called cid getter. This will tell you your carrier id, this is how HTC usually distribute OTA's. If your cid starts with HTC, you should get fast updates. If, like in my case, it's VODAP001, you could be waiting.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.tritonsoft.cidgetter

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 252 ✭✭viclemronny

Basil3 wrote: »
    Best thing to do is use the app called cid getter. This will tell you your carrier id, this is how HTC usually distribute OTA's. If your cid starts with HTC, you should get fast updates. If, like in my case, it's VODAP001, you could be waiting.

Cheers. Just have to wait for meteor to get stock back in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Anybody advise me where I can get a 32 GB SIM free/unlocked 4G(LTE) enabled HTC One S?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Based on that, the Meteor Bill Pay ones are HTC_001. Or the last batch were anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Blinked_Missed It

HTC One Developer edition now sold out in the USA. Now to wait for the touts to screw everyone on ebay for a profit. Well pissed off :mad:

HTC One Developer edition now sold out in the USA. Now to wait for the touts to screw everyone on ebay for a profit. Well pissed off :mad:

It would be nearly impossible to get your hands on it from outside the US, unless you're a well known dev who has connections.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,431 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Yep, tried that too. No lights at all. Back to the shop with this baby and just as I was getting used to it too. I hope there's no mental delay with fixing/replacing it.:(

I had the same issue. Just wouldnt do anything. Seemed dead. Hold down the bottom volume button and then hold the power button for a few seconds at the same time. Came back alive and no issues since!

It should be noted that it's not good to run a Li-Po battery completely dead, lots of small frequent charges are better.

Also, power saving mode makes a big difference if you mainly use your phone for texting and browsing. I have everything selected except for vibration.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭jones

Folks, in the last few days my phone suddenly doesnt know where i am i get the message "Unable to contact location service to update your location" if i go into maps or whatever it picks me up straight away but my location beside the clock is constantly at unknown. I've tried restarting and leaving GPS on - weird cause it was perfect for the first week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Didn't you buy your One from eMobile? What network did you check it on?

Sorry, that's what I meant. I checked my One which I bought on emobile. I checked it with a SIM card from 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

jones wrote: »
    Folks, in the last few days my phone suddenly doesnt know where i am i get the message "Unable to contact location service to update your location" if i go into maps or whatever it picks me up straight away but my location beside the clock is constantly at unknown. I've tried restarting and leaving GPS on - weird cause it was perfect for the first week

Strange, it happened to me on Sunday but a re-start of the phone sorted it out.

Might try restart it now again!! its a nothing thing really but i hate seeing the unknown under the clock - pedantic i know haha

On a non related issue has anyone unlocked the bootloader or rooted yet? i'm toying with the idea just for fast updates

Dammit i seem to be in the same position i'm with three and its H3G_001 really not into this waiting for updates malarky!

Dammit i seem to be in the same position i'm with three and its H3G_001 really not into this waiting for updates malarky!

Unfortunately rooting won't speed up updates if HTC decide to update bootloader, which could happen when Key Lime Pie comes along.

Of course when/if we get s-off and super cid it won't matter.

Yeah i'm just reading up about S-off/S-On now this is all new to me as my last HTC was the HTC legend. So basically if i unlock the bootloader or root then i might not get any updates due to HTC checking to see if my phone is in S-on status?

Yeah i'm just reading up about S-off/S-On now this is all new to me as my last HTC was the HTC legend. So basically if i unlock the bootloader or root then i might not get any updates due to HTC checking to see if my phone is in S-on status?

You will get most small updates, such as jelly bean updates, so it's still worth it.

An example is with my one X, I got stuck on ics even though I was rooted. This is because I had an incompatible cid. People with HTC cid's could move on to JB much sooner.

I'm sure we will get s-off before too long so it won't be a big deal.

I'm sure we will get s-off before too long so it won't be a big deal.

Do you mean HTC will change them all to S-off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Jesus Christ

No, a hacker will figure out how to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭cullenswood

No, a hacker will figure out how to do it.

They didn't figure this out for the One X yet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Jesus Christ

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭talla

Just had my first serious problem with over heating.
    Phone was sitting in my pocket for the morning. Pocket suddenly started to get very warm :D.

When I took it out, the whole phone was actually too hot to hold. Rebooted the phone and it had cooled down to normal levels within a couple of minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

They didn't figure this out for the One X yet

Thats because Nvidia has Tegra 3 very well locked down, Qualcomm devices are easier to S-Off.

It would be nearly impossible to get your hands on it from outside the US, unless you're a well known dev who has connections.

It was on general sale so long as you had a US credit card and address it was open to all. Asked my mates to see what they could do but they didn't so theres going to be a few angry words had. Now only hope is to get the 32gb from emobile

For anyone upgrading on emobile don't pay €319 in store. Just upgraded with them directly over the phone on 1800 303 454 and they said there is an error on their system at present (sounds like BS to me and its more like they are seeing reality) and its coming in at €109 next day delivery if ordered before 2pm. I'm on select unlimited with that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

For anyone upgrading on emobile don't pay €319 in store. Just upgraded with them directly over the phone on 1800 303 454 and they said there is an error on their system at present (sounds like BS to me and its more like they are seeing reality) and its coming in at €109 next day delivery if ordered before 2pm. I'm on select unlimited with that price.

Do you have to be at the end of your current contract to get that price?

I'm about 10 months into a 18 month select unlimited contract with emobile - (the €34.50 per month one that was on offer last year).

polaris68 wrote: »

I'm about 10 months into a 18 month select unlimited contract with emobile - (the €34.50 per month one that was on offer last year).

I'm at 17 months of the same 18 month contract your on. Give them a ring, its freephone. All they can say is no but you get a chance to do a bit of bargaining with them maybe. Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,431 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I changed from the select unlimited to the unlited talk and text with data. Basically im dropping from 15GB to 5GB, the package goes from the €35 price point to €39, and I got the phone for €119!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

talla wrote: »
    Just had my first serious problem with over heating.
    Phone was sitting in my pocket for the morning. Pocket suddenly started to get very warm :D.

When I took it out, the whole phone was actually too hot to hold. Rebooted the phone and it had cooled down to normal levels within a couple of minutes.
    Playing intensive games for any length of time and it gets pretty hot - not quite too hot to hold, but then I'd generally be holding it by the edges playing games rather in a full grip. Checked the battery temp with AndroidLost and hasn't been over 41 at it's hottest. And it generally cools down very quickly as soon as I switch to something less intensive.

I think it's just that the whole body of the phone is basically a heatsink. Might raise it with Meteor though, have it on record in case there's any issues in future.

That said, if it's just sitting in your pocket doing nothing, I'd be a bit worried!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

polaris68 wrote: »

I rang them, and they said they would let me upgrade one month early....changing your contract might work as Antodeco suggested.

Advertisement