Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round? - 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

srfc d16 wrote: »
    Had a medal on Saturday and shot 97 off a 20 hcap. I had 95 the previous week.
    I cannot putt for the life of me. Counted up after the round and I had 45 putts including a 5 putt that started off as a birdie attempt from around 20 foot. From memory I think I had another 4 or 5 small chips from just off the green that some would have putted.
    It really is very frustrating with playing partners commenting on my ball striking saying I shouldn't be off 20 when I hit the ball as well as I do. I know they mean well and are giving me a compliment but when I cant actually get the ball in the hole it is disheartening.
    Try again next week I suppose

Whatever you do, don't practice putting in the meantime anyway!!!

Said in jest but with a hefty dose of reality mixed in.

Speaking as a once atrocious putter myself, you need to start practicing. Start rolling in 2,3,4,5,6 footers continuously on a putting matt at home if you can get one. It's amazing what 10-15 mins a day can do. You'll find, get comfortable and confident, with your stroke and it should eliminate the fear of missing short ones, which in turn helps your lag putting.

Remember... don't practice it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭srfc d16

What exactly is the problem with putting?

Pace,line or have ya no confidence in your stroke? I was a brutal putter and its probably weakest part of my game.

Pace is definitely the worst part. Once the putt is longer than 10-12 foot the stroke is all over the place. I could end up 4 foot short or 10 foot past.
    Inside 10 foot I am confident that I can pull off a 2 putt.

For anyone that has had a putting lesson what exactly do they cover? Is it purely a repetition thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Pace is definitely the worst part. Once the putt is longer than 10-12 foot the stroke is all over the place. I could end up 4 foot short or 10 foot past.

For anyone that has had a putting lesson what exactly do they cover? Is it purely a repetition thing?

I was the same.

And i hate practicing putting so became a better chipper of the ball to leave me closer to the hole

I switched to a heavier counter balance putter with a super stroke grip as the one i had was light so i it was harder for me to judge pace with it.

Ive had it a few weeks and has definitely helped my putting from distance as i am letting the putter do the work whereas with the light putter i was all arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Captains Qualifier yesterday. Missed the 'cut' by one stroke after having a decent round bar quadruple bogey on 6th and triple on 12th. Aaaaaarrrrrgggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!! (76 off 16)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭blue note

25 points off 14. 4 pars for 11 points, so 14 points on the remaining 14 holes.

5 scratches.
    2 from lost drives. They weren't far off line, both probably 10 yards right of the fairway. Couldn't find them in the rough. Hard to say for sure with the first, I was playing blind around a corner.
    1 lost ball from a pulled 80m pitch.
    1 lost ball from a chip over the green. Pitching wedge was about a metre short of leaving me an uphill 15 for birdie putt. Instead it rolled back down the hill in front of the green. I chipped about 5m over the green, but couldn't find the ball.
    The other scratch was a similar chip over the green. I found it but in a terrible lie. Hacked out back over the green.

Other highlights included two chips that fell short of the greens. One was duffed. And a putt from the bottom level to the top that rolled back down to my feet. They accounted for my three doubles.

The less than full shots were a killer again too. I mi**** / pulled 4 of them.

As regards lessons to learn; I used to hit an iron on the third instead of driver, but my average scores got better when I started using the driver. I think the lesson is to hit provisionals and try for a par / birdie with my second. I could go sideways with my chips since I hit two over the green and left one short, but that's stupid golf really. I'd only be giving myself marginally larger areas to hit to and leaving myself a huge chance of a three putt if I do.

Really the lesson is, hit a few hundred shots from 60-100m in the range and practice those awful chips when you've no green to work with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You need to have a consistent strike and path otherwise its very hard to judge pace. Your putting should be better at the end of each round as you will judge the pace better, but only if you strike the ball consistently.

For strike stick a rubber band or some blue tac on the toe & heel of your putter.
    This gives instant feedback on whether or not you are hitting the sweetspot.
    For path you can just make a gate with a couple of tees, again at the toe and heel. You might need to start with a inch of space and then narrow it as you get better.

If you work on both of these and its not getting any better, then you are probably too wristy and should work on the old "rock the triangle" method.

Its a royal pain in the arse to hit the the ball well but putt badly. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭thelostboys23

89 strokeplay in monthly medal off 18 for a net level par 71.

1 bird, 4 pars, 7 bogeys and 6 doubles. Seemed to follow any good hole immediately with a double which was frustrating.

Putter was very poor and definitely missed 5 or 6 within 4 foot. Maybe a small cut if lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭thelostboys23

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

Biggest improvement I ever had was from putting and chipping lesson. Make sure you are accelerating through the ball.

Loads of players I see with distance control take it back long and try to finesse or decelerate on putts. It helped me massively with chipping and putting. I'm still not great but the misses are way less severe.

I'm off 16 bear in mind so not exactly lessons from a pro here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,563 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Just started back playing in the past few weeks. Have been very much a fairweather golfer over the past 5 years, probably played 3-4 rounds a year and even then didn't take it too seriously. Joined Blessington Lakes in June and submitted my three cards there last week and now the proud owner of a handicap of 23. My three cards were 106, 105, 101. It's the inconsistency that kills me, as the 101 was the most recent card and I had 3 Pars & 6 Bogeys in there. Then the other holes I was all over the place, had to hit 5 off the tee twice.

Have had one lesson which has actually now made me worse as I can barely hit the ball as trying to iron out two or three big issues that were pointed out to me. But will be worth it in the long term as my mechanics were awful so once I get used to swinging like this it will hopefully make improving better & faster.

• Advertisement

Off 16 in open in elmgreen this morning. Some pins where in really tough positions.

17 front
    20 back

8 pars
    4 doubles
    6 bogeys

Played well and happy to have no scratches for second round in a row.

adjusted my grip slightly which really helped my ball striking. Better score was on but for a few silly mistakes. Wrong club into wind a couple of times leaving me short and duffed a couple of wedges around the green. Putted well for most of it but had 4x 3 putts. 2 where really poor efforts and 2 where just unlucky. My stroke has really improved.

Went and played the open in ashbourne this afternoon
    15 front
    12 back

Bit of a mixed bag
    5 pars
    5 scratches.

Greens are tough to read i found.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

12 on the front 23 on the back for 35 points off 17 in a Wednesday competition. Been starting very poorly the last few competitions I've played, taking me too long to get into the rhythm. Probably doesn't help that I rock up 5-10 minutes before tee off and usually only have time to hit a few aimless putts on the practice green.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I'm not catching the ball great - a good few very wild shots , couple off duffs. But holing most stuff from short to 7/8 feet.

So 5 over par - two cuts in a row.

Happy to be scoring. But simply don't feel I'm playing great.

Strange - but a positive in there somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I'm not catching the ball great - a good few very wild shots , couple off duffs. But holing most stuff from short to 7/8 feet.

So 5 over par - two cuts in a row.

Happy to be scoring. But simply don't feel I'm playing great.

Strange - but a positive in there somewhere.

I'm feeling the same, and I have had some good scores recently. Haven't played over my handicap at my home course for 5/6 weeks. but just feel I could be doing better.

Such a frustrating game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

Played my second comp after rejoining corballis last weekend. Finished with 34 pts and qualified for the captains day.

Had a hole in one on the 13th. Hit the hill at the back of the green and rolled into the hole.

Horrible pin position so if it hadn't dropped I'd have been lucky to come away with a 4.

As it was the captains qualifier there was plenty around to see it which was nice.

It's my second hole in one in corballis and I should get the watch this time as they are now all set up with howdidido.

37 points off 14(13.6) again in our Thursday Open. Might get me down to 13 but CSS could easily be 37 today. 2 scratches thrown into the mix.

A bit like extp and Fix, scoring well but the golf is a bit meh. There should be a few decent cuts on the horizon. 36,35,32,37,37 since returning.

On a side note, we played with the same 13 year old for the 2nd week running. 77 gross today, he shot 80 last week. Not the biggest or strongest lad but when he gets the distance, as he should in the next few years, he'll be a phenomenal golfer. Anything within 150 and it's right at the flag, one bounce and dead. He missed one fairway over the 2 rounds. I don't think there's a bad swing in him.

A pure joy to watch and well able to talk his way around the course, nice company, great to see they don't all have their heads stuck in Xboxes and not a daft pre shot routine in sight either.

Whoever introduced him to the game did a very good job. He announces the pace of play on the 7th and 13th tee... I asked him if we were behind and he said no, that it's just something he was told to be aware off.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

ryaner777 wrote: »
    It's my second hole in one in corballis and I should get the watch this time as they are now all set up with howdidido.

I thought they stopped doing the watches.

Off 16 in open in elmgreen this morning. Some pins where in really tough positions.

17 front
    20 back

8 pars
    4 doubles
    6 bogeys

Played well and happy to have no scratches for second round in a row.

adjusted my grip slightly which really helped my ball striking. Better score was on but for a few silly mistakes. Wrong club into wind a couple of times leaving me short and duffed a couple of wedges around the green. Putted well for most of it but had 4x 3 putts. 2 where really poor efforts and 2 where just unlucky. My stroke has really improved.

Went and played the open in ashbourne this afternoon
    15 front
    12 back

Bit of a mixed bag
    5 pars
    5 scratches.

Cut .3 for elmgreen
    Got +.1 back for ashbourne

Down to 15.7 now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

Seve OB wrote: »
    I thought they stopped doing the watches.

Got an email this morning saying I'll be getting one and a code to claim it ???

PARlance wrote: »
    37 points off 14(13.6) again in our Thursday Open. Might get me down to 13 but CSS could easily be 37 today. 2 scratches thrown into the mix.

A bit like extp and Fix, scoring well but the golf is a bit meh. There should be a few decent cuts on the horizon. 36,35,32,37,37 since returning.

On a side note, we played with the same 13 year old for the 2nd week running. 77 gross today, he shot 80 last week. Not the biggest or strongest lad but when he gets the distance, as he should in the next few years, he'll be a phenomenal golfer. Anything within 150 and it's right at the flag, one bounce and dead. He missed one fairway over the 2 rounds. I don't think there's a bad swing in him.

A pure joy to watch and well able to talk his way around the course, nice company, great to see they don't all have their heads stuck in Xboxes and not a daft pre shot routine in sight either.

Whoever introduced him to the game did a very good job. He announces the pace of play on the 7th and 13th tee... I asked him if we were behind and he said no, that it's just something he was told to be aware off.

Jaysus Parlance - your semi retirement to soccer seems short lived now.

Welcome back to mid life.

• Advertisement

Jaysus Parlance - your semi retirement to soccer seems short lived now.

Welcome back to mid life.

Training has been cancelled once or twice for the Thusday Opens Fix!!! :D

I won't get away with both for much longer though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

As a long term member, one of the tricks of playing Elmgreen is knowing when to guarantee a 2 putt

THere are certain pin placements I dont even bother try hole as way more likely to 3 putt than hole

New members and visitors often look at me as if I am insane! When they see some lines. You just cant see some of the breaks

gypsy79 wrote: »
    As a long term member, one of the tricks of playing Elmgreen is knowing when to guarantee a 2 putt

THere are certain pin placements I dont even bother try hole as way more likely to 3 putt than hole

New members and visitors often look at me as if I am insane! When they see some lines. You just cant see some of the breaks

Elmgreen i am getting the hang of greens although on Wednesday where in tough spots. The first hole did catch me out as i think its first time id seen it in that spot

It was ashbourne that i just couldn't get to grips with at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Elmgreen i am getting the hang of greens although on Wednesday where in tough spots. The first hole did catch me out as i think its first time id seen it in that spot

It was ashbourne that i just couldn't get to grips with at all

I have seen so many 4 putts when it is there or occasionally a put , chip back on and then 2 putts

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

32pts off 16 last night in the Thursday Open at Moate. Usual mix of sublime and ridiculous. Hit a peach of a 3 wood 176 metres to the heart of the 12th green following an iffy drive. Then 3 putted for a bogey after an aggressive slightly uphill birdie putt.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

Just played an awful 15 holes. Can't find my swing at all on the course after hitting balls really well all week on the range.

A 'throw your clubs in the bin' kind of day. Tomorrow should be interesting.

Last 3 rounds strokes.

75 / 76 / 78 (away)

Delighted with myself - haven't broken 80 - 3 times in a row in a long, long time.

I'm still not striking the ball great - but I'm getting the ball in the hole. Complete opposite to my game a few years ago.

As Parlance posted here a few years ago. You have got to fool yourself you are a good putter. :D

Working at the moment.

Parklands tomorrow - a completely different challenge for me - I haven't played a parkland course in maybe a year - ball flight is definitely too low for it to be honest.

Give it a go anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Last 3 rounds strokes.

75 / 76 / 78 (away)

Delighted with myself - haven't broken 80 - 3 times in a row in a long, long time.

I'm still not striking the ball great - but I'm getting the ball in the hole. Complete opposite to my game a few years ago.

As Parlance posted here a few years ago. You have got to fool yourself you are a good putter. :D

Working at the moment.

Parklands tomorrow - a completely different challenge for me - I haven't played a parkland course in maybe a year - ball flight is definitely too low for it to be honest.

Give it a go anyway.
    Great golf Fix, well done, no pictures on the scorecard as they say.

Cut on the way for a 78 away score you reckon?

I was grinding hard today to score 30 points in our Presidents qualifier, stableford from the medal tees. Got a couple of real stinker lies, as bad as I've gotten round my place.

Started with 4 1-pointers, so was playing catch up from the off.

Struggled with 2 way misses off the tee. Nothing all day was terrible, just every part of my game was average.

Will take a positive to say that I scrambled points on every hole on the way round, so stayed scratch-free, but wont be qualifying for the final day with that score

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

33 points of 7 this morning. 6.40am tee time, flew round!

started birdie double birdie

2 birdies
    7 pars
    6 bogeys
    3 doubles

There's a score in there somewhere!
    think i need to pack in the GAA and practice more!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Another awful medal this morning, 3rd week in a row with a .1 back(we're playing catch up for April, May, June). Something like 103-17 for 86 nett. Don't know what's going wrong. I'm back to all my old mistakes, sliced drives, chunked fairway irons, bladed wedges through greens, 3/4 putts etc. Not sure what to do, more practice or maybe just play less for a while(I've been playing a lot recently)

Advertisement