Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Desmond - High Winds 4/5 December 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Mahogany Gaspipe

I'm in South Galway.
    It only started rain about an hour ago and it isn't pouring down yet. If you went outside and did a lap of the house you wouldn't need to change out of wet clothes on your return.

Quite windy alright but IMO the strength of the wind certainly hasn't yet exceeded that of December 2013.
    Put it this way, I can stick my head out of the SW facing second story bedroom window without having to pull it back inside in dramatic fashion.

Are we looking at 21:00 being the time peak wind speeds are forecast?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Between 9 and 11pm ,picking up again tomorrow to the same level

• Registered Users Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

anyone see the two lads jumping off the pier at Salthill on the tv3 news there. talk about crazy and stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Wind gusting 30 to 45 mph and a recent gust of 65 mph, very bad in Galway now Garda say the M6 motorway is now dangerous for high sided trucks and cars report wind is steering cars sideways, power line down in the City and local radio say it's very dangerous to walk in the City due wind. Stay safe out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭wintear

Strong sustained winds and plenty of rain here in Kilcolgan. if 21:00 is the peak, its going to be a fun night.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Getting windy here in Dublin, with strong/long gusts. Windier than I expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

In an estate up on a hill just outside the city. Getting battered by winds. Feeling very December 2013 like. Went out to stock up on fuel for the fire and I'm dying with flu - wind completely knocked the breath out of me. Stay safe. Is it still only orange for wind? Feels very dangerous out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

A few faults popping up on the ESB network now.

https://www.esb.ie/esb-networks/powercheck/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Wild here in wide open west Clare. Slightly heavy rain with strong gusty winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

What is it expected to be like in Dublin around midday tomorrow? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Pink One

This isn't too far from me but it isn't too bad here yet but thanks for reminding me that I need to keep the kettle boiled for the tea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I think this is definitely one of the worst evenings of wind in Galway city for a few years.Our back door opens outward and there is no way we can open it against the force of sustained strong winds for the last hour to secure things.There are tiles down of the roof. It is exceptional in my opinion.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

https://www.esb.ie/esb-networks/powercheck/

I count circa 700 at the mo

EDIT: Ok nvm, that escalated quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

1800 reports....Malin head 58 knots, Mace head 57 knots....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Very windy in cork at the moment
    Expect the orange wind warning to be expanded to southern areas later tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 23,505 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I'm one of those who tends not to agree with the naming of storms like this. On the one hand I understand the reasoning but this is outweighed for me by the fact it just feeds hysterical media nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Mean wind speed analysis at the mo. Not that much difference around the country. Slightly less windy in the middle but that's about it.

370692.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Picture from Galway City Tribune of Salthill, spot the swimmer needs head examined.

https://www.facebook.com/ConnachtTribune/photos/a.154527567936827.36001.148746965181554/984774164912159/?type=3&theater

ah for gods sake, most people swimming in Salthill know what they are at, ive gone swimming there in nsimilar winds, its as safe as a swimming spot gets.
    Although i can see how it seems dangerous to the bedwetters on this thread who are "very scared" at a little bit more wind then usual

• Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

This is only a yellow warning for Dublin but this is definitely the worst wind of this winter. If I'd have known it was going to be this bad I'd have left the motorbike at home and taken the bus, but there was no indication on the radio it was going to be as bad as earlier this week never mind worse. Should've checked in here :rolleyes:

Large tree branch down at junction of Long Mile Rd / Naas Rd blocking a whole lane. Very hairy going over the M50 at Red Cow.

At lunchtime (wasn't too windy at ground level, Dublin city centre) an ATR42 turboprop flew directly overhead (the type Aer Lingus regional use, so big enough) and it was mad watching it flying along at a few thousand feet, nose pointed a good 20-25 degrees into the wind. Pointing in one direction but not flying in that direction!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

LaGlisse wrote: »
    ah for gods sake, most people swimming in Salthill know what they are at, ive gone swimming there in nsimilar winds, its as safe as a swimming spot gets.
    Although i can see how it seems dangerous to the bedwetters on this thread who are "very scared" at a little bit more wind then usual

ah for god sake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Mahogany Gaspipe

I'm one of those who tends not to agree with the naming of storms like this. On the one hand I understand the reasoning but this is outweighed for me by the fact it just feeds hysterical media nonsense.

There is a lot of hysteria for sure.

I find it very hard to imagine the situation described by a poster where they actually could not physically open the outside door for an hour due to the wind, useless the house is built on the summit of Benbaun.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,505 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

LaGlisse wrote: »

jiFfM.jpg

I can absolutely see your point. However this evening has made me realise just how important it is to be forewarned of wind events. I have relations whose kids went into town tonight after school and are not answering phones, it really it is hard enough for an adult to walk in a straightline here the last two hours. There are big Christmas lights down in Shop Street and blowing around dangerously. It is a while since we have a bad storm in Galway during hours where people of all ages are out going about their business. If people aren't careful this evening someone will be hurt.
    It does seem less pressing when these things happen late at night but when they're going on during daytime normal hours you realise the real potential for serious trouble. Better to err on the side of caution in these instances I think.

There is a lot of hysteria for sure.

I find it very hard to imagine the situation described by a poster where they actually could not physically open the outside door for an hour due to the wind, useless the house is built on the summit of Benbaun.

I wrote that post, my house is in a housing estate, it's absolutely true . I don't see why you'd have reason to disbelieve me. It really has been very bad this evening, between 5 and 7 particularly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

7 pm

Mace Head 44 gust 64 kts

A few reports of trees down on country roads already, but they are getting cleared quickly enough. Waterford, Roscommon, Donegal, Longford.

More intense rain moving in on the radar now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Just noticed a station in Scotland reporting a gust of 130mph! and averaging 82mph. Well it's a summit station but still quite impressive none the less.

http://magicseaweed.com/Cairn-Gorm-Summit-Weather-Station/69187/

Here's the station itself on a calm day :).

image-109-small.jpg?w=550&h=367

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Lights flickering here in mayo,very strong gusts and torrential rain

tumblr_m5i82qs3yg1rr7wnno1_400.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭moeblogs

DOG%20KITE.jpg

Advertisement