Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NXT Thread *SPOILERS*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

CastorTroy wrote: »
    And 2 cat sayings beforehand. :)

War Games on Dec 6th. Team Shotzi vs Team Candace. Likely Shotzi, Toni, Ember and someone else against Candace, Indi, Dakota and Raquel.
    Also I assume UE vs Team McAfee.

Confirmed on WWE socials. NXT over-ran last night so on Youtube you'll get the clip of Regal coming out to UE and McAfee & Co and just simply going... we all know where this is going... "WARGAMES"

• Registered Users Posts: 28,855 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I just want fans there chanting/barking "Ruff! Ruff! Ruff!"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭hynesie08

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Do we reckon they could fit the war games setup inside the cwc? Because if I wanted to "counter program" omega/mox, I'd stick team pat vs ue vs breezango/dain/maverick inside the structure on Dec 2nd.......

So close....... Still think we're getting a third team.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Loughc wrote: »
    Confirmed on WWE socials. NXT over-ran last night so on Youtube you'll get the clip of Regal coming out to UE and McAfee & Co and just simply going... we all know where this is going... "WARGAMES"

I've really watched very little NXT in months, but watched that clip and loved it. The atmosphere in the arena, with the caged off crowd, and the darker grittiness, really came off well. And Regal walking out, with UE knowing exactly what was coming...was just a brilliant little moment.

WOHGAMES!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,342 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I quite like Pat McAfee's group. Pete Dunne is such an English thug/bastard and should stay a heel for his whole career

McAfee really sold Cole's kick, the crowd would have been on fire I'd say for Finn and UE returns

KO back next week, for a match or commentary?

• Advertisement

Covering for Wade on commentary

So this will be UE's 4th Wargames. Meaning every year so far

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I've really watched very little NXT in months, but watched that clip and loved it. The atmosphere in the arena, with the caged off crowd, and the darker grittiness, really came off well. And Regal walking out, with UE knowing exactly what was coming...was just a brilliant little moment.

WOHGAMES!

Absolutely the same. Haven’t seen much of it lately but that clip was done so well. Less is more.

If this was smackdown you’d have Cole screaming WHAT COULD REGAL WANT??

YOU DONT THINK IT COULD BE WARGAMES CORY?

Announcement made.

OH MY.

Completely taken out of the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,364 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Is KO back next week to set up a counter programming angle for following weeks Mox Kenny match.

Is KO back next week to set up a counter programming angle for following weeks Mox Kenny match.

One off commentating slot apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,903 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Love War Games and really looking forward to it

Jesus NXT move between face and heels so much. Ciampa a heel one week and then a face. Priests antics were good and its hard to know where the NA title picture is going. Is Rhea ever going to win the women's title?

Nice to see Finn and UE back

Pete Dunne looks ridiculous with the tan and long hair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I really like Damian Priest, he has a natural swagger to him. Not that "forced cool" WWE try to paint some wrestlers with.
    PTH2009 wrote: »
    Love War Games and really looking forward to it

Jesus NXT move between face and heels so much. Ciampa a heel one week and then a face. Priests antics were good and its hard to know where the NA title picture is going. Is Rhea ever going to win the women's title?

Nice to see Finn and UE back

Pete Dunne looks ridiculous with the tan and long hair

She only lost it about 6 months ago. The internet are saying she's been buried (spurred on by Meltzer's shít talk, as usual) but I'd say no woman, and few men, have achieved what she has by the age of 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭hynesie08

J. Marston wrote: »
    I really like Damian Priest, he has a natural swagger to him. Not that "forced cool" WWE try to paint some wrestlers with.

She only lost it about 6 months ago. The internet are saying she's been buried (spurred on by Meltzer's shít talk, as usual) but I'd say no woman, and few men, have achieved what she has by the age of 23.

Wrestled at mania
    Main evented in your house
    Lost to dakota kai by interference
    Avenged interference in a main event cage match
    Attacked by Raquel gonzalez
    Beats Raquel
    Loses an absolute belter of a match to io shirai

She's the most 80s booked baby face in the company

I know twitter "smarks" are dumber than **** on shoes, but if that's a burial, sign me up...

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Wrestled at mania
    Main evented in your house
    Lost to dakota kai by interference
    Avenged interference in a main event cage match
    Attacked by Raquel gonzalez
    Beats Raquel
    Loses an absolute belter of a match to io shirai

She's the most 80s booked baby face in the company

I know twitter "smarks" are dumber than **** on shoes, but if that's a burial, sign me up...

And that's only mentioning this year. There was a period last year where her push put Becky's to shame. This is what she did over 5 days last year...

No contest draw with Becky on NXT.

Two days later beat Charlotte and Sasha in triple threat on Smackdown.

Next night she wins a handicap Wargames match.

Next night at Survivor Series she was basically the sole survivor.

Then a few weeks later she ended Shayna's dominant reign.

And that was when she was 22!

I wish Meltzer's bullshít didn't annoy me but he says one (wrong!) thing and suddenly it's gospel among a lot of the IWC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

And yet....

The push has stalled big time. Compare the perception of her currently to where she was going into War Games last year and you've got a wrestler whose gone backwards rather than forwards. The numbers for her main event vs Io this week speak volumes for how much of a star she's actually perceived as.

She's young, she'll get plenty of opportunities but they've botched this badly.

The numbers mean nothing because no-one is a draw. Not like she was leading the ratings charge for NXT against AEW last year.

They pushed her ridiculously last year so when that level of push doesn't continue (and it can't) people wrongly say it's been botched/she's been buried when the truth is they're pushing Io for a while. Rhea talented and young, they can go to that well whenever they like.

The numbers mean nothing because no-one is a draw. Not like she was leading the ratings charge for NXT against AEW last year.

They pushed her ridiculously last year so when that level of push doesn't continue (and it can't) people wrongly say it's been botched/she's been buried when the truth is they're pushing Io for a while. Rhea talented and young, they can go to that well whenever they like.

But they've had chances to create ratings difference makers and Rhea is one of those until they got the face turn all kinds of wrong.

And sure, there's time, she's young and has a great look. But, you get 1 chance at a first impression, and this attempt has been a failure, if the next attempt fails after that, all of a sudden there's a stench of failure around that wrestler and now you're running up a hill. And look, they can give her 16 Women's Title reigns and say she's a star, but the chances to make actual real difference making stars don't come around all the time, and if you keep whiffing on them then suddenly they don't come around at all.

And yet....

The push has stalled big time. Compare the perception of her currently to where she was going into War Games last year and you've got a wrestler whose gone backwards rather than forwards. The numbers for her main event vs Io this week speak volumes for how much of a star she's actually perceived as.

The push has stalled at 23....

Do you want her on top for years to come dominate.

Don’t answer that actually.

Still. She’s so young she will get the push back. They didn’t botch anything they built her up really well. They now need to use her lustre that they built up to make other stars for her to compete against.

Loughc wrote: »
    The push has stalled at 23....

Do you want her on top for years to come dominate.

Don’t answer that actually.

Still. She’s so young she will get the push back. They didn’t botch anything they built her up really well. They now need to use her lustre that they built up to make other stars for her to compete against.

Again I'll say it, first time out of the gate, OK the push has stalled, it hasn't worked. There's no disputing that, they turned her face, they took away the things that people liked about her in the 1st place. On top of that the presentation of her in and after the Charlotte feud was bizarre.

And like I said, she's young, other chances will come her way. But, also like I said, you only get so many chances to be a money drawing, difference making star. The difference is say Randy Orton and Brock Lesnar, one is a star in WWE, the other is a STAR, a difference making star. I thought the chance was there around War Games last year, there was a buzz around her, that buzz was well and truly gone post Mania. On your last sentence, Rhea is not at the point where she's the one making stars, she's on the come up herself, it sounds more like you're angling for 50-50 booking and if there's one thing that the last near 20 years of WWE has taught us is that 50-50 booking serves to get nobody over.

While I'm at it, great example here is Shinsuke Nakamura. Different company but the point applies. Was given the IWGP World Title at a ridiculously young age (24 I think?) He wasn't ready, the crowd wasn't ready either. The reign failed, Nakamura, rather than his reputation being enhanced by having been the World Champion, suffered as a result. He didn't get back on track til years afterwards when he went on excursion to Mexico and returned in the burgeoning stages of the gimmick which we know of him now that set him on his way to superstardom. NJPW took a swipe on Nakamura, missed, and it took quite a bit of rehabbing to get him to where they wanted him to be, on the 2nd attempt it was a success. Again, there's really only so many goes you get though.

But they've had chances to create ratings difference makers and Rhea is one of those until they got the face turn all kinds of wrong.

And sure, there's time, she's young and has a great look. But, you get 1 chance at a first impression, and this attempt has been a failure, if the next attempt fails after that, all of a sudden there's a stench of failure around that wrestler and now you're running up a hill. And look, they can give her 16 Women's Title reigns and say she's a star, but the chances to make actual real difference making stars don't come around all the time, and if you keep whiffing on them then suddenly they don't come around at all.

How long is a first impression? Because they pushed her hard for 5/6 months, gave her lots of achievements and it ended in arguably the best match at this year's Wrestlemania. Crowds responded well to her.

I don't see how that's a failure.

How long is a first impression? Because they pushed her hard for 5/6 months, gave her lots of achievements and it ended in arguably the best match at this year's Wrestlemania. Crowds responded well to her.

I don't see how that's a failure.

It ended the moment they presented Charlotte on a completely different level to her post Mania match. Phase 1 was the heel character, that was pretty much gone by War Games, they had a hot tweener but they turned her into every babyface ever that they have.

We're a year removed from that, there's absolutely no way you can tell me the buzz around her is at, or near, the same level this year as it was this time last year. Am I writing her off? No, she's got a lot of things going for her, but is it safe to say the initial push failed? Absolutely, could've said that a few months ago and been correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

And yet....

I hate the whole "shes not a draw, he is a draw...ratings is everything" talk.

I would wager that all AEW fans watch NXT and all NXT fans watch AEW. I know I do and nearly everyone on here does.

I would guess most folks watch AEW over NXT as they want it to succeed. I still believe AEW is more enjoyable week in week out, but thats not to say NXT isnt enjoyable.

Gotta love Regal... playa!

That turn this week was a wee bit obvious from way they were acting. But I guess now we know who's on the 2 teams.

Wargames beginning to take shape.

It was a decent show, preferred Dynamite this week but there is a lot to enjoy and not much to really hate.

The main event was brilliant, though Im unsure about the finish and where it leads, the match itself was just two guys putting on a show. Must see wrestling and the best match on both Wednesdays shows.

Didnt like the Toni Storm turn. Just hated it. It didnt need to happen and I dont see why she'd be a lacky for LaRae. I did like the beat down of Rhea though.

Johnny, Priest and Ruff on the KO show was entertaining and Ruff is coming on each week.

The Chinese segment has me curious, though I dont have faith that it will develop into anything good.

Ciampa and Thatcher will be a great match, Thatcher has been an MVP of NXT the past few months, really taking his chance. a Nice simple yet effective build. Kushida needs a program though, he's just kinda there and I wanna see more.

No Dream has been welcome.

Grimes is entertaining but I feel it will wear thin long term. I have no desire for the Lumas strap match.

No Champion again hasn't helped and NXT is lacking at the top of the card. Lots of mid carders, very feud main eventers. Its a big issue. Like AEW have plenty who can be the top guy, NXT has plenty but they arent ready. Kushida is close but needs a better feud to put him over the top, Ciampa is cooled off too much, Cole is like he is limbo with a call up, Finn is absent, Kross is absent (and not ready IMO, was rushed too quick to top of the card).

Walter is the answer IMO. Have him come in and kill Finn. The feud is ready made since before lockdown and Walter is a star. Just let him loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,163 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Don't think Grimes will wear thin tbh. Vince and Bruce will have a field day with their terrible slapstick segments once he's on the main roster.

Don't think Grimes will wear thin tbh. Vince and Bruce will have a field day with their terrible slapstick segments once he's on the main roster.

I hope so, hes very entertaining. He just seems a little one dimensional at the minute and I fear he won't evolve much.

Im glad NXt didnt try counter book this show and didnt try shoe horn anything unnecessary to this show.

I really like Gargano Priest and Ruff's angle. Gargano as the sly heel, Priest as the defender of priest with invested interest and Ruff as the lovelyable underdog works very well. Very entertaining mid card stuff. Escobar and his crew are very good and the tag match was a decent tv bout, and the Leon Ruff "hot tag" was a good spot. Priest needs to lose the vest when wrestling, reminds me of the lads from Kronik.

Great video package setting up the mens War Games match. NXT do the character packages so much better than the main roster, where they dont bother with it at all these days unless its Bray Wyatt related.

Pat McAfee reminds me of Johnny Drama from Entrouage in his mannerisms.

Cameron Grimes is growing on me week after week, infectiously entertaining. Lemus isnt suited to NXT and feel he'd be more suited to the Main Roster in terms of gimmick. But Im fine with teh feud and its given Grimes a chance to show his chops. both in ring and character wise.

August Grey looks like a Drew McIntyre clone mixed with Jake Roberts.

Jake Atlas is fine but he needs a character, far too bland. More needs character work. Tony Nesse has been just existing in WWE. A fine wrestler and Im surprised they havent given him anything to really stick his teeth into.

Ever Rise appear to have something about them. Probably very green but they have charisma. GYV vs Imperium was good for what it was and I hope Imperium back brings Walter to the main event scene in NXT. Why he is not there already is beyond me.... the guy is a star and they are in dire need of main eventers.

Thatch as thatch can was fine. I do enjoy Thatcher and the feud is a good use of Ciampa.

The womens ladder match was ok, not a huge fan of Blackheart. Beyond her unique look, I dont see much in her yet. I hated the "who will be the 4th member " nonsense, it was obvious who it was.... why pretend. Apart from that Im sure these guys will have a great match come Sunday.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Ever Rise appear to have something about them. Probably very green but they have charisma. GYV vs Imperium was good for what it was and I hope Imperium back brings Walter to the main event scene in NXT. Why he is not there already is beyond me.... the guy is a star and they are in dire need of main eventers.

That's more down to Walter than NXT, he perfers working in Europe over US, he has said plenty of times he'd never do Raw or Smackdown, not for him, you have to respect that decision.

NXT has had 5 ladder matches this year. The gloss is coming off that stipulation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,903 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I thought Finlay got released ?, Saw him on the entrance for the Pat Patterson tribute

Looking forward to War Games on Sunday

Advertisement