Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NXT Thread *SPOILERS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,001 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Gargano new North American champion thanks to help from someone in a scream costume

Christ its Ciampa isn't it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Let’s hope ciampa and Johnny are kept apart for a long time

Saw that coming from Pete Dunne

• Registered Users Posts: 23,122 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

McAfee is fantastic. Took to wrestling like a duck to water and has more mic ability than 99% of wrestlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Not sure about Burch and Lorcan being in such prominent positions but I guess they're not there to set the world alight, just to take the losses for Dunne and McAfee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Officer999

I hope Io never gets called up to the main roster. Vince would ruin her with an Asuka type dancing gimmick

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

Didn’t recognize Pete Dunne at first. Hadn’t watched NXT for a while and hadn’t heard anything about his body transformation. He looks great to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 28,880 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Grimes with Regal was enjoyable. The match was, um, yeah.

I assume the masked wrestler will be Indi.

Meant to say, but if you're going to have a guest artist joining someone to the ring, let her be heard and seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Everyone is talking about Walter/Ilja Dragunov from this week's NXT UK so I had to check it out. Unrelenting physicality, I'd say this is by a distance the stiffest, most physical pro wrestling match ever presented under the WWE banner. Everything was laid in heavy, just a barrage of chops, lariats, elbows, neck bumps, all of it. It is a legit MOTYC, it'll be comfortably the WWE match of the year and should rank highly in end of year lists if enough people see it. It's distinctly un-WWE, the house style, the run of signature moves, the hard camera, the work telling the story rather than everything else but the work, moves not solely performed centre of the ring, this felt like a fight and probably belonged more so in Korakeun Hall rather than the BT Sport studio, it was like nothing you've seen before in WWE in every respect.

Finally, the wrestlers. Ilja took a beating, his selling is world class, he's a great sympathetic babyface and you were with him every step of the way. Walter reminds me so much of Tomohiro Ishii, no surprise given the role of Ishii in mentoring him, not so much in his role (Ishii excels working from underneath, Walter far better working as the dominant heel) but rather in how he drags you into his matches. The Ishii vortex is something we all know about, you know what's coming, but every time he drags you, kicking and screaming if needs be, into rooting with everything you have for him to overcome the odds. In the same way, you know what a Walter match will be (though this was different to any of his previous WWE matches) and yet you still become engrossed, you still end up wanting the opponent to beat this overconfident, overpowered final boss. The Walter vortex was on full display here. He's a master worker, the best worker WWE has and one of the best in the world.

If this exact match had taken place in front of fans I'd honestly say this was the best WWE match I've ever seen. I'm torn between ****3/4 and the full *****

Yeah. By the end of the match it looked like they'd been through a war. It's a term that does get thrown around but in this case it suits.
    I'll admit I wasn't familiar with Dragunov before nxt UK so seeing him with the way he acted coming to the ring and appearance I thought he was a low to mid carder but then he started on the path to this match and in this match.
    I do like his finisher, Torpedo Moscow. Just a flying headbutt.

As for fans, I think there are some people there off camera as saw some when the camera was at a certain angle. They do have some fan noise but it's a lot more quieter than the main shows which is a good thing. Sure we miss the fan noise, but they just overdo it on Raw and SD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Just finished that NXT UK Main event. That was stunning. I think the fact that there was no crowd there helped the raw visceral nature of it. Hearing everything, the will of the two of them to continute going without any crowd momentum. It felt like a fight, but a fight within the rules of wrestling. No punches thrown, looking for submissions. Amazing.

It would be something you could show non wrestling fans and point to why you like wrestling and they would get it

Raquel Gonzalez is something else.

I think she could make an excellent babyface down the line. If they flipped the face/heel dynamic between her and Rhipley it could be star making for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Sirsok wrote: »
    Just finished that NXT UK Main event. That was stunning. I think the fact that there was no crowd there helped the raw visceral nature of it. Hearing everything, the willnofbthe two of them to cobtinute going without any crowd momentum. It felt like a fight, but a fight within the rules of wrestling. No punches thrown, looking for submissions. Amazing.

It would be something you could show non wrestling fans and point to why you like wrestling and they would get it

Without a doubt what we've seen over this empty arena era is that stiff, physical matches work best. This match or Shingo/Sho from New Japan Cup are my favourite empty arena matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,659 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just finished this weeks nxt uk episode and the opening match between our own aoife Valkyrie and Dani Luna was a nice match and showcased both women well. But that main event. Jesus h Christ that was unreal. Some of the chops and lariats made me wince. Both guys looked like they’d been in a war( there may be a better word for it but I’ve just finished watching it so that’s my description). Again I’d recommend everyone watch it because it’s that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,122 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Raquel Gonzalez is something else.

I think she could make an excellent babyface down the line. If they flipped the face/heel dynamic between her and Rhipley it could be star making for both.

She's very impressive. Can be the Brock Lesnar of the women's division if they do it right. Proper powerhouse unlike Nia's ambling style.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,659 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

J. Marston wrote: »
    She's very impressive. Can be the Brock Lesnar of the women's division if they do it right. Proper powerhouse unlike Nia's ambling style.

She has huge potential. Has a great look and as you say J she has power and won’t hurt people like Nia.

Shotzi really liked her tank. So much that she botched the move early on. Having the Scream costume this week was a bit strange.

I quite like Pat McAfee's group. Pete Dunne is such an English thug/bastard and should stay a heel for his whole career

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I quite like Pat McAfee's group. Pete Dunne is such an English thug/bastard and should stay a heel for his whole career

McAfee has more charisma on the mic than anyone in NXT and most of the main roster

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I could never take him as a face. He's a natural born heel to me. The fans will love him though.

Well that was certainly unexpected

I like that it makes sense for Dunne to be won over by someone gunning for the UE. Still a bit iffy on the faction as a whole.

No idea what they're at with NA title the prestige has been completely lost since Lee gave it away. Are they trying to turn it into their version of the TNT title or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Do we reckon they could fit the war games setup inside the cwc? Because if I wanted to "counter program" omega/mox, I'd stick team pat vs ue vs breezango/dain/maverick inside the structure on Dec 2nd.......

Haven't really looked but what's the opinion online about the title change?

I see NXT UK now has fans via video.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Just like AEW this week, this was a light yet entertaining show.

The opener was fun and a nice unexpected win for Ruff. Gargano is excellent. It takes great talent to go from NXT golfrn boy mega face to winny, cunning heel. I dont mind Ruff taking the title.

Dexter Lumis had his best match to date against Thatcher. Lumis is limited but they play to his strengths and try hide his weaknesses. Grimes is very entertaining.

LaRae vs Storm was good. The womens division is so much better in NXT than AEW. We have 7 or 8 very well established talent now in NXT and anyone could eventually be the next champion.

The show clearly lacked star power with no Cole, Balor etc, but it furthered storylines well. Atlas vs Escobar was very goof for a TV match. As was the main event.

McAfee, like AEWs Kingston, is so smooth I could listen to him all day. Burch and Lornan can go and Id love to see them vs UE.

But whats up with Pete Dunnes tan. He looks ridiculously stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,593 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Finn brings back UE

And 2 cat sayings beforehand. :)

War Games on Dec 6th. Team Shotzi vs Team Candace. Likely Shotzi, Toni, Ember and someone else against Candace, Indi, Dakota and Raquel.
    Also I assume UE vs Team McAfee.

• Advertisement

NXT is such an enjoyable show when there not trying to hard to counter program AEW and just concentrating on furthering there own stories

Advertisement