Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Options

Comments

Dunphy also has a medical condition making him vulnerable.

I dont get the hate for Ryan, he has been right all along.

didn't know that - emphysema, from all the fags.

Dunphy also has a medical condition making him vulnerable.

I dont get the hate for Ryan, he has been right all along.

With the north on the same island, how practical would a zero-covid policy be in the Republic - not very I would say.

could not be enforced or maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

glasso wrote: »
    didn't know that - emphysema, from all the fags.

Doubt the charlie helped his lungs either. Serious cheek he has expecting others to stay in because he has self induced illness caused by his raucous partying all his life.

Doubt the charlie helped his lungs either. Serious cheek he has expecting others to stay in because he has self induced illness caused by his raucous partying all his life.

Coke has nothing to do with your lungs.

Could give you a heart attack possibly if you were in bad condition and doing a lot of it.

I don't think that he was much more than a recreational user really - not on the addict level.

Doubt Eamo was smoking crack to be fair to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

With the north on the same island, how practical would a zero-covid policy be in the Republic - not very I would say.

Yes, exactly. And whenever Eamon did raise this we got some wish-washy response that we should have the ambition of brokering an all-island solution - but we couldn't even close the airports over which we have full control. Great bit of evidence-based first-principles bottoms-up analysis there Tomas. FFS!

At this stage Tony H, Luke ("howsitgoin") O'Neill, Tomas R etc. etc. ALL now have massive dogs in this race. If you don't realise this then please stand back from the windows and wait for RTE to tell you when it is safe for you to come out :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

72sheep wrote: »
    Yes, exactly. And whenever Eamon did raise this we got some wish-washy response that we should have the ambition of brokering an all-island solution - but we couldn't even close the airports over which we have full control. Great bit of evidence-based first-principles bottoms-up analysis there Tomas. FFS!

At this stage Tony H, Luke ("howsitgoin") O'Neill, Tomas R etc. etc. ALL now have massive dogs in this race. If you don't realise this then please stand back from the windows and wait for RTE to tell you when it is safe for you to come out :-)

The reason we are not doing things is we are run by weak politicians. I didn’t need this podcast to tell me that but I think it has been clearly laid out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

You've to check if the latest Swedish Covid episode is the one you listened to last time. I don't know how Philip O'Connor can still be so excited and animated discussing the same muck and details.

Here's a fascinating bit of trivia, has anyone heard that some Swedes got a tattoo of Anders Tegnell the state epidemiologist?

You've to check if the latest Swedish Covid episode is the one you listened to last time. I don't know how Philip O'Connor can still be so excited and animated discussing the same muck and details.

Here's a fascinating bit of trivia, has anyone heard that some Swedes got a tattoo of Anders Tegnell the state epidemiologist?

I did find it a bit odd and he spoke realty fast.

I think that a lot of people are biased.

From the simple eejit who just wants to go to the pub to the guy who owns a pub.

The managed it in Australia and their states have enormous borders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

They're also thousands of miles from anywhere else with much less frequent commuters for work purposes etc.

not the most apt comparison really

they don't have borders with a different country and completely different jurisdiction. Australian states have a common national government above them.

Airports and ports in NI have zero oversight also from Dublin

Ireland (and Northern Ireland) is closer to other populated land masses with travel in-between - e.g. commute as mentioned where Australia does not have that going on to any extent at the moment

They're also thousands of miles from anywhere else with much less frequent commuters for work purposes etc.

Still 20 million people. Ireland isn’t the only country with a land border.

Still 20 million people. Ireland isn’t the only country with a land border.

besides the fact that the other place over the land border is an actual different country run by a different government in the case of Ireland, Australia has a land mass 90 times the size of Ireland

Their main centres of population i.e. cities, range from 1h30 to 5 hours jet air travel speed flight time apart, never mind driving.

besides the fact that the other place over the land border is an actual different country run by a different government in the case of Ireland, Australia has a land mass 90 times the size of Ireland

Their main centres of population i.e. cities, range from 1h30 to 5 hours jet air travel speed flight time apart, never mind driving.

Sweden and Finland have a land border. Finland is doing rather well. If they could manage an all island policy for foot and mouth they could do it now.

Sweden and Finland have a land border. Finland is doing rather well. If they could manage an all island policy for foot and mouth they could do it now.

Tomas Ryan's point was about going for 0 covid cases and that's what is in discussion here

Finland's new case count today is about the same as Ireland's

Never mind the fact where Sweden and Finland have a land border is mostly inside the artic circle :pac:

Tomas Ryan's point was about going for 0 covid cases and that's what is in discussion here

Finland's new case count today is about the same as Ireland's

Never mind the fact where Sweden and Finland have a land border is mostly inside the artic circle :pac:

The main reason there isn’t a 0 policy on the island is politicians here are to weak, if they could do it for cattle 20 years ago it can be done again.

The main reason there isn’t a 0 policy on the island is politicians here are to weak, if they could do it for cattle 20 years ago it can be done again.

a few smelly disinfectant foot-mats at airports and ferries and nyards at the border to stop cattle and sheep being moved just doesn't cut it for Covid

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

El Sueño wrote: »
    Pretty much 90% of every soccer podcast is made up of the following topics:

- Mourinho is finished
    - Pep doesn't focus enough on defence
    - Pogba isn't a great midfielder, how did he cost 90 million, etc
    - Barcelona are in decline
    - Spanish teams can't compete with the premier league teams
    - Italian football is in decline
    - "When I played for Leeds...."

Rinse and repeat

A couple of recent additions to this:

- Fernandes isn't a traditional midfield player, but he'll score goals from midfield
    - Bielsa's Leeds will "lose games they're expected to win, and win games they're expected to lose"

a few smelly disinfectant foot-mats at airports and ferries and nyards at the border to stop cattle and sheep being moved just doesn't cut it for Covid

If you got that from what I said in my earlier post then I can imagine how frustrating this site can be. However the biggest barrier to either an all island covid policy or the closure of the republics borders is a lack of political willingness. My point earlier was that if an all island solution to foot and mouth could be found only a few years after the good Friday agreement than it can be done now.

FYI there was a lot more to the foot and mouth thing then a few mats. Every cattle movement on into and out of the island was tracked and likewise across borders, cattle. With all the paper and digital footprint air travels leave there not tracked and nobody is communicating with anyone north, south, east or west that is just plain incompetents. nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

My understanding of the Zero COVID group's suggested goal is zero COVID cases with an unidentified source. Maybe only a slight difference, but perhaps it's something that could be possible with some sort of cross-border cooperation even if there's no all-island strategy.

I find it hard to make out what you are saying at points but I think that I get the gist of it.

The thing is that cattle are stored on farms. Locked up effectively.

People are not stored on farms.

You can't just lock people up in farms - not even the politicians can do that.

They move around a lot. They interact.

it's infinitely more simple to control the movement of a small number of cattle trucks. infinitely.

it's infinitely more simple to agree measures to control the movement of cattle trucks between different governments than telling and even more so controlling their populations re border movements in a free movement area

The foot and mouth comparison is about as good as your Finland-Sweden artic circle land border.

It's a moot point in any case because the cases in the Republic were not at a level in its own region where it could be then about keeping Covid from entering from an outside area

nor was it a strategy at any point in either jurisdiction ever to aim towards 0 covid or to start talking about a joint agreement.

I find it hard to make out what you are saying at points but I think that I get the gist of it.

The thing is that cattle are stored on farms. Locked up effectively.

People are not stored on farms.

You can't just lock people up in farms - not even the politicians can do that.

They move around a lot. They interact.

it's infinitely more simple to control the movement of a small number of cattle trucks. infinitely.

it's infinitely more simple to agree measures to control the movement of cattle trucks between different governments than telling and even more so controlling their populations re border movements in a free movement area

The foot and mouth comparison is about as good as your Finland-Sweden artic circle land border.

It's a moot point in any case because the cases in the Republic were not at a level in its own region where it could be then about keeping Covid from entering from an outside area

nor was it a strategy at any point in either jurisdiction ever to aim towards 0 covid or to start talking about a joint agreement.

Look this is going nowhere and there is little point in continuing. My final thought on this is how my country is dealing with it. Ireland is going to yo-yo in and out of lockdowns; lockdowns are are like carpet bombing campaigns yes they work but as soon a the bombing stops the enemy comes out of the trenches in the end troops have to be on the ground. By troops on the ground I mean.
    mass testing,
    tracing beyond two days,
    Rapid testing regimes they not be as accurate but if your tested every day then this problem is mitigated.

The government decides on strategy, they've chosen route 1 football because there to weak minded to do anything else and their using NEPHT as top cover and letting Tony H take the flack.

mikemac2 wrote: »
    The retro podcasts with Giles are gold. He had plenty of Jack Charlton stories too on an older podcast. Another was Giles, Brady and Dunphy "getting the boat" to England as schoolboy footballers.

Giles can recall every detail of a funny incident from decades ago but gets confused with modern day Premier League players, a little bizarre.

Its called getting old!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It's easy to forget but Giles is 80 years old!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Giles only forgets the odd name of a current player every now and then. He's not great at pronouncing difficult surnames either. But what is the big deal about this that annoys so many? Paul Merson can't say surnames right either and Jeff Stelling and the lads have a great laugh. Some ridiculous criticism of an 80 year old Irish legend and thorough gentleman because he forgets the odd current players name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Verona Murphy TD came off quite well in her latest podcast imo

I was never a fan of hers before she was a TD. In spite of a bit of self-praise on the new Rosslare Dunkirk ferry route which is certainly good news she did well and had all the details

Her best podcast yet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,543 ✭✭✭✭briany

Enjoyed listening to Gabriel Byrne on the podcast today. Nice change of pace from politics and football. I think as Brexit and the U.S. presidential election wind down, Dunphy would do well to branch out into more interviews like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

briany wrote: »
    Enjoyed listening to Gabriel Byrne on the podcast today. Nice change of pace from politics and football. I think as Brexit and the U.S. presidential election wind down, Dunphy would do well to branch out into more interviews like this.

There was a noticeably blunt outro when he didn't take up Eamon's invite to launch into an anti-Trump diatribe. Instead Gabriel gave a well balanced view of US politics, recognising that there are views beyond the "how much do you hate Trump" question. He also nicely described the media's role in all of this. Very well done, sir.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bocaman

There was a noticeably blunt outro when he didn't take up Eamon's invite to launch into an anti-Trump diatribe. Instead Gabriel gave a well balanced view of US politics, recognising that there are views beyond the "how much do you hate Trump" question. He also nicely described the media's role in all of this. Very well done, sir.

Have to agree. Nice to hear an alternative viewpoint on America rather than the one side or the other story we've been force fed over the last four years.

Advertisement