Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Still Ill

It's a shame he doesn't have Liam or Didi on anymore. Himself and John just go over the same ground every show.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Still Ill wrote: »
    It's a shame he doesn't have Liam or Didi on anymore. Himself and John just go over the same ground every show.

Was just thinking that myself the other day. Been ages since chippy has been on

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Was just thinking that myself the other day. Been ages since chippy has been on
    Was there a falling out there or what happened? Hope Liam is ok, I think I heard him on RTE when Maradona died

amlinopta wrote: »
    Was there a falling out there or what happened? Hope Liam is ok, I think I heard him on RTE when Maradona died

Himself and John had a small bit of a falling out when John inexplicably picked Wan Bissaka over TAA in his team of the season. But Eamon was winding John up too and they still seem to be on good terms.

Really enjoy when Eamon mentions that he's on the phone to John when they're watching matches. Something very wholesome about it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

In fairness to Eamon the show was built up from nothing, ‘‘twas very baron at the start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

steve_r wrote: »
    The recent episode with Diarmuid Ferriter on the mother and baby homes was very good. Ferriter obviously knows his onions and is able to put things in context, including the fact that people were aware of this conditions and spoke out against how the people were being treated.

Dunphy made some good comments as well about the type of society that allows this to happen, and how the leaders of the day doubtless knew what was going on

That's what I like about Eamon he knows things are rarely black and white and has alluded to his own internal conflict on various topics from time to time.

Himself and John had a small bit of a falling out when John inexplicably picked Wan Bissaka over TAA in his team of the season. But Eamon was winding John up too and they still seem to be on good terms.

Really enjoy when Eamon mentions that he's on the phone to John when they're watching matches. Something very wholesome about it. :pac:

Agree. Can picture them picking the phone up at half time or at the end and doing their analysis. It's a nice image.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

That interaction was very funny at the time. Dunphy was loving it. They have been on together since that though so I doubt that is the reason we havent seen Brady lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

If they were to bring Brady back you'd think the Maradona episode was the perfect time, considering he played against him. I don't think he was on it though? Hope all is well with him

Does he still work with Arsenal? Yeah, hope he's ok healthwise.

Always enjoyed his analysis

• Advertisement

Does he still work with Arsenal? Yeah, hope he's ok healthwise.

Always enjoyed his analysis

He left Arsenal in 2013. I did see him mentioned on Twitter for another podcast a few weeks back so maybe if he is doing that on a regular basis it might explain him not being on with Eamon. Can't remember which one it was, think maybe an Irish times one but not sure and iirc from the ad, it was just as a one off guest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

And John makes the same exact points on his Thursday Newstalk slot.

Needs to freshen things up badly.

*Awaits episode 1000*

*Sees that it's Tomas Ryan*

*Deletes instantly*

• Registered Users Posts: 17,319 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

El Sueño wrote: »
    *Awaits episode 1000*

*Sees that it's Tomas Ryan*

*Deletes instantly*

I think Eamo gets a wee bit excited during Tomas' appearances. All you can hear is Dunphy in the background growling "yes, Yes, YES!" as Tomas makes his points. While repeatedly mentioning how "rigorous" he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭dmn22

I don’t get the criticism of Tomas Ryan on here. He’s been consistently correct. The podcast today was very good in my opinion. I was actually surprised by how worked up he got in the interview.

I watched Matt Cooper’s show on Monday night and they had minister Ossian Smyth on. He consistently avoided answering questions on why we hadn’t a mandatory quarantine on people coming into the country 10 months into the pandemic and tried to sidestep the question by accusing the woman who asked the question of being racist against Brazilians. I was actually fuming watching it. He was incredibly rude and never answered the question.

This government’s inaction is putting lives at risk and prolonging the amount of time we have to put up with these restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

dmn22 wrote: »
    I don’t get the criticism of Tomas Ryan on here..

Because right now it's all about hating teachers and what a mess they've of those who have additional needs.

He is rightly worked up because of the piss that was taken out of him pre xmas opening up where he suggested xmas be delayed for a month, which was daft but rational in an academics head.

He clearly despises Holohan. Entertaining podcast, an emotional wreck by the sounds of it (not Dunphy).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

dmn22 wrote: »
    I don’t get the criticism of Tomas Ryan on here. He’s been consistently correct. The podcast today was very good in my opinion. I was actually surprised by how worked up he got in the interview.

I watched Matt Cooper’s show on Monday night and they had minister Ossian Smyth on. He consistently avoided answering questions on why we hadn’t a mandatory quarantine on people coming into the country 10 months into the pandemic and tried to sidestep the question by accusing the woman who asked the question of being racist against Brazilians. I was actually fuming watching it. He was incredibly rude and never answered the question.

This government’s inaction is putting lives at risk and prolonging the amount of time we have to put up with these restrictions.
    Totally agree always seems very measured to me, Smyth came across terribly on Matt Cooper.

I'm far from a public health expert but the laissez fare approach to quarantining has been a long time obvious problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

I think Eamo gets a wee bit excited during Tomas' appearances. All you can hear is Dunphy in the background growling "yes, Yes, YES!" as Tomas makes his points. While repeatedly mentioning how "rigorous" he is.

Laughing my head off at this. Dunphy loves kissing a guests hole by telling them they are one of the countries most rigorous contributors

Someone other than Tomas Ryan gave some insight on the recent episode :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Anyone listen to Monday's podcast with Giles on Liverpool? Giles went from the sublime to awful.

He made some great points about how the Liverpool full backs could have prevented United's goals on Sunday. Then he launched into how he did his homework on why a couple of new signings a season kept things fresh and that's what Liverpool should have done in the summer.

They spoke as if Liverpool had signed no-one. Jota and Thiago came in (2 signings).

Giles went on to say how great Fergie was by signing Keane after they first won the league (1 player) in 1993. Then he reeled off a list of players that Fergie brought in in subsequent seasons that kept it fresh which made no sense because he mentioned, amongst others, Irwin and Schmeichel who were signed in 1991.

It was dire stuff with Giles constantly harking back to Fergie, Revie and Shankley. You can't compare those eras, particularly the latter two, to today because football clubs, managers and the sums of money involved are a world away.

Giles is still great at analysing a game in front of him but he really is lost when talking about how clubs work or talking facts. He doesn't do it deliberately but he seems to get the facts to fit around his opinion rather than forming an opinion based on fact. Awful stuff because Dunphy does little to challenge him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Anyone listen to Monday's podcast with Giles on Liverpool? Giles went from the sublime to awful.

He made some great points about how the Liverpool full backs could have prevented United's goals on Sunday. Then he launched into how he did his homework on why a couple of new signings a season kept things fresh and that's what Liverpool should have done in the summer.

They spoke as if Liverpool had signed no-one. Jota and Thiago came in (2 signings).

Giles went on to say how great Fergie was by signing Keane after they first won the league (1 player) in 1993. Then he reeled off a list of players that Fergie brought in in subsequent seasons that kept it fresh which made no sense because he mentioned, amongst others, Irwin and Schmeichel who were signed in 1991.

It was dire stuff with Giles constantly harking back to Fergie, Revie and Shankley. You can't compare those eras, particularly the latter two, to today because football clubs, managers and the sums of money involved are a world away.

Giles is still great at analysing a game in front of him but he really is lost when talking about how clubs work or talking facts. He doesn't do it deliberately but he seems to get the facts to fit around his opinion rather than forming an opinion based on fact. Awful stuff because Dunphy does little to challenge him.
    Did you miss the bit about how great Jota was and refreshed things and its a shame he is injured?

The general point that liverpools recruitment was lacking over the summer stands, they clearly needed another CB.

Did you miss the bit about how great Jota was and refreshed things and its a shame he is injured?

The general point that liverpools recruitment was lacking over the summer stands, they clearly needed another CB.

No heard that. But the insinuation was that Liverpool hadn't refreshed when they had refreshed as much as title winning teams in the past by adding two quality players. Giles further trampled on his own point by saying Jota had looked good and looked hungry. It's pure bad luck that Thiago and Jota have been injured for most of their time at Liverpool.

Liverpool have also been very unlucky at CB. Their 3 first choice CBs have been long term injured and the young lad they've brought through hasn't been up to it. Their mistake wasn't in the summer for me, they've just been unlucky. Their mistake has been in January in not signing a CB when they badly need one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

No heard that. But the insinuation was that Liverpool hadn't refreshed when they had refreshed as much as title winning teams in the past by adding two quality players. Giles further trampled on his own point by saying Jota had looked good and looked hungry. It's pure bad luck that Thiago and Jota have been injured for most of their time at Liverpool.

Liverpool have also been very unlucky at CB. Their 3 first choice CBs have been long term injured and the young lad they've brought through hasn't been up to it. Their mistake wasn't in the summer for me, they've just been unlucky. Their mistake has been in January in not signing a CB when they badly need one.

They sold lovren and never replaced him. 3 centre halves and one of them is a sick note. FSG have gone from looking savvy to looking tight-fisted.

They sold lovren and never replaced him. 3 centre halves and one of them is a sick note. FSG have gone from looking savvy to looking tight-fisted.

It's kinda going off topic but to have 3CBs long term injured at the same time is beyond unlucky. Bringing through youngsters to replace a lad that was error prone at best (Lovren) wasn't an unreasonable position to take at the start of the season especially with Fabinho being pretty good at CB.

But given how things are turning out now and with FSG seemingly unwilling to buy or loan a CB - they are starting to look a bit tight fisted especially if the rumours of Klopp being forced to play a strong team in Norway for £2.5m are to be believed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

I like Picture House so I took down the episode done recently with Dave Browne. Thought the starting monologue was quite interesting.

"One of the things we haven't done is talk about the effect this ten month ordeal has had on people who are working in various businesses, or who are workers who have threatened to lose their job"

Working class hero Eamo, and it takes him ten months to start thinking of the common man. Maybe if Tesco had been shut down he would have put up some opposition to the lockdown, instead of being a cheerleader. Nice that he has finally woken up to the effect that it is having on private industry.

I like Picture House so I took down the episode done recently with Dave Browne. Thought the starting monologue was quite interesting.

"One of the things we haven't done is talk about the effect this ten month ordeal has had on people who are working in various businesses, or who are workers who have threatened to lose their job"

Working class hero Eamo, and it takes him ten months to start thinking of the common man. Maybe if Tesco had been shut down he would have put up some opposition to the lockdown, instead of being a cheerleader. Nice that he has finally woken up to the effect that it is having on private industry.

I think you're being a bit harsh on him there. The experiences of people in all industries has been alluded to across various shows, I think him suggesting they were focusing on it specifically does not mean that it had never received any recognition or commentary before now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

The Taiwan guest seemed a bit all over the place. He said Taiwan felt safer during the Trump administration (which left Dunphy gutted), before adding that Taiwan could be an inspiration in the fight against the rise of the far right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

kowloonkev wrote: »
    The Taiwan guest seemed a bit all over the place. He said Taiwan felt safer during the Trump administration (which left Dunphy gutted), before adding that Taiwan could be an inspiration in the fight against the rise of the far right.

Surprised he didn't mention the abandoned kurds at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭applehunter

Chris John’s won’t be around to see the Frankenstein’s monster he had created.

Scumbag.

• Advertisement

I noticed this too, fairly poor considering he'd actually looked it up! Still love listening to John all the same

Advertisement