Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Options
1686970717274»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Chay Bowes who founded The Ditch and left Ireland very quickly after the story broke he had multiple private meetings with the Russian ambassador also works for RT. Lives in Moscow now.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Lecter8319

Good podcast yesterday between Sheehan & Eamon yesterday. Eamon seems to be setting himself up to be a staunch critic of Harris for however long he remains in power. I think Dunphy knows a waffler and chancer when he sees one a mile off. I remember him often calling BS merchants on RTE for talking rubbish. Hopefully his podcasts continue with Sheehan over the next few months, its going to be interesting to see how all this plays out in the lead up to the election & Sheehan seems more informed than most other journalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭fire_man

Is it worth paying 5e for this podcast?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

I get it through my Spotify subscription.

I'm not a podcast person, but really enjoy the stand. I think what works for me is that they are all around 30 minutes. Helps with the drive in or out of work.

Some good stuff on there. G

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭JoeA3

since when does it cost anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭Tork

Might you be mixing it up with the option to listen to the podcast ad-free? It has always been freely available "wherever you get your podcasts" as they say e.g. https://podcasts.apple.com/ie/podcast/the-stand-with-eamon-dunphy/id1178026212 , https://podtail.com/en/podcast/the-stand-with-eamon-dunphy/

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭weadick

John and Eamon's lack of knowledge of Premier League teams outside of the top 3 really is staggering. John said he 'wasn't impressed' with Aston Villa this season and Eamon never even pulled him up on it. Villa are challenging for the Champions League having been relegation candidates less than two years ago, how anyone couldn't be impressed with them is beyond me. Eamon didn't appear to know that Villa's goalkeeper was a world cup winner with Argentina. He was also of the belief for some reason that Tyrone Mings was 'benched' by Unai Emery when in fact he did his cruciate at the start of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Westernview

Doesn't really bother me. You could find inaccuracies every week with what they discuss but it's not really about that anymore. Just 2 old pros shooting the breeze, having a rant or getting excited about certain players and games.

Considering their ages (John 83, Eamon 78) it's great that they are still enthusiastic about doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭weadick

Yeah I do agree with you but as a Villa fan I was excitted to hear them talk about Villa for the first time all year, then to hear that nonsense. But I'd enjoy listening to them even despite all that.

• Advertisement

That's fair enough. Think the lads have praised Villa a bit this season. I'm pretty sure Eamon in particular has praised Emery a number of times. Hope Villa makes the top 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think it’s more to do with the style of play that villa play than anything else that hes not impressed with. They both like watching the likes of spurs, arsenal, Liverpool play high tempo exciting football all the time. It’s a bit lost on John that Emery is master tactician as John doesn’t really believe too much in tactics.

I’d agree with the above, it’s not so much about their in-depth tactical analysis anymore, it’s more their experience, charm & funny/interesting takes on modern football. It’s a refreshing break from the all the over top statistical/xg analysis etc from other podcasts & sky sports, tnt sports etc.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Given how the Second Captains podcast thread here had posters complaining about their chat about positionism vs relationism, would have thought two old school football men shooting the breeze would be the perfect antidote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Yeah I feel the same. I get a laugh out of it.

Dunphy asked Brady recently how Tierney was doing this season for Arsenal? 😂

On a World Cup Rugby pod with Matt Williams he said something like "There's a young guy called Hugo Keenan, I'd never seen him, he played very well, who is he?"

On a sperate note the guy he gets on about climate change is a very good guest imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭I see sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I enjoy Eamo and Giles as much as anyone, and listen to every soccer podcast without fail.

However as an Arsenal fan it does make me chuckle hearing the lads talk about Arsenal's weakness at CB, when we've conceded the least goals in the league and just achieved a PL record 6th away clean sheet in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

They're about five years behind modern goings on. So if they're talking about Aston villa today, in their heads it's like 2019.

In the last two podcasts he mentioned to John about Roy Keane labelling Haaland as a league 2 player and they had the same discussion twice, neither of them the wiser.

Again the question has to be asked - why listen to the podcasts at all if you don't like them?

So many more 'up to date' alternatives out there. Giles and Dunphy ain't gonna change and most of us are happy for them not to at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

the same reason these are

https://x.com/killersundymann/status/1781050947575165150?s=48

'Edited slightly'. Definitely more than slightly.

Never heard of those guys. They mustn't have much to contribute to football discussion themselves if mocking 2 ex-internationals is typical of their 'content'. Of course it's all about content these days.

Three clowns mocking Dunphy and Giles, not fit to lace their boots. Is that really what passes for content these days? State of them. One chubby looking alcoholic, one confused individual very much in touch with his feminine side wearing women's glasses on & the other is about as funny as cancer but thinks of himself as hilarious. Hard pass on their 'Content'

What really amuses me is that when the 2 lads were on RTE people were saying that RTE should get rid of them - that they were past it and not worth paying the licence fee for.. etc etc.

Then when they go and do their own thing (that no one is forced to listen to) and provide it FOR FREE people still go and listen to it and again complain that they are rubbish, past it etc. It's pretty pathetic IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I didn't say I don't like them. I wasn't giving a review just some things I thought funny.

I would rather listen to ex footballers. The problem with almost all the other podcasts is the journalists.

Advertisement