Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Eamon needs to mix it up a little, maybe some more light hearted topics like how to knit your own socks or favorite chocolate bars ???

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭hermano

Eamon needs to mix it up a little, maybe some more light hearted topics like how to knit your own socks or favorite chocolate bars ???

He should do another interview with the lad from waterford whispers. He couldnt hold together the whole podcast. It was gold

• Registered Users Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

They have predicted what would happen re lockdowns etc almost to the day whilst the regular media harps on about personality clashes.

This is exactly it. Thomas Ryan pisses a lot of people off, but he's been completely on the money since March, but, sure, he's only a doomonger - a completely accurate doomonger.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

If I hear Eamonn going on about how Brexit will affect milk production one more time...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

Ep 940 Brexit: A Unionist Perspective with Ben Lowry, Editor of the Belfast Newsletter

Priceless hearing Ben crying that the centenary celebrations of the creation of that Statelet up north are being ruined because Unionists are been made feel ashamed about their existence. Boo hoo.
    He even said at one stage that too much has been made about British aggressions against Ireland in the past and Dunphy of course didn't pull him up on that. Th British, including the tribe he cheer leads for, were never really as bad as they were made out to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,319 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

jay0109 wrote: »
    Ep 940 Brexit: A Unionist Perspective with Ben Lowry, Editor of the Belfast Newsletter

Priceless hearing Ben crying that the centenary celebrations of the creation of that Statelet up north are being ruined because Unionists are been made feel ashamed about their existence. Boo hoo.
    He even said at one stage that too much has been made about British aggressions against Ireland in the past and Dunphy of course didn't pull him up on that. Th British, including the tribe he cheer leads for, were never really as bad as they were made out to be.

I'm finding Dunphy increasingly hard to listen to. His obsequiousness and incessant ass kissing of his guests would sicken your hole. I was cringing listening to Eamon's crawling during the Ben Lowry episode.

And the sheer repetitiveness of his COVID podcasts with Dunphy having a hissy fit about young people in every single episode and bringing up the exact same stat about 3 people dying and 3 new cases in early July. On. Every. Single. Episode.

Dunphy tends to get an idea or statistic in his head and reuses it over and over and over again. For months on end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Dunphy tends to get an idea or statistic in his head and reuses it over and over and over again. For months on end.

He’s an ex footballer, well into his 70s with little education. You’re not talking about an intellectual.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

He’s an ex footballer, well into his 70s with little education. You’re not talking about an intellectual.

Whether or not someone is an intellectual has nothing to do with the level of education they have obtained.

Like him or not, disagree with him or not, but Eamon has long shown an ability to think deeply about a broad range of topics and his broadcasting and journalism careers have surpassed his football one. He wrote his first book at 29 (wrote it, not just put his name to it). He won a lot of praise as the host of the first national current affairs show to take on the monopoly which was RTE Drive time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

I'm finding Dunphy increasingly hard to listen to. His obsequiousness and incessant ass kissing of his guests would sicken your hole. I was cringing listening to Eamon's crawling during the Ben Lowry episode.

And the sheer repetitiveness of his COVID podcasts with Dunphy having a hissy fit about young people in every single episode and bringing up the exact same stat about 3 people dying and 3 new cases in early July. On. Every. Single. Episode.

Whether or not someone is an intellectual has nothing to do with the level of education they have obtained.

Like him or not, disagree with him or not, but Eamon has long shown an ability to think deeply about a broad range of topics and his broadcasting and journalism careers have surpassed his football one. He wrote his first book at 29 (wrote it, not just put his name to it). He won a lot of praise as the host of the first national current affairs show to take on the monopoly which was RTE Drive time.

Most of that is true, I’m not totally sure I agree he thinks that deeply on subjects though. Most of his takes on subjects is at a superficial level. His shows depend on the strength of his guests. You know what you’re going to get from eamon. He will make the same arguments and points over and over again.

The stand isn’t terrible but it’s not “fresh” at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Munsterman12

He has an IQ of 355. It has been discovered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Bertie bragging about the percentage of national debt compared to GDP when he left office was pretty hilarious, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Still Ill wrote: »
    Bertie bragging about the percentage of national debt compared to GDP when he left office was pretty hilarious, eh?

The sound on that was poor I switched it off also apart from the Cummings bit it was just a regurgitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Genghis

Still Ill wrote: »

The brass neck alright - and totally unchallenged by Dunphy. I like Bertie, and think he is good on the podcast - he called the FF FG coalition early, and I reckon he will be right about Brexit too.

But speaking about the insignificant national debt level on the day he left office is a bit like disclaiming a child because you broke up with the mother when she was 8 months pregnant. You are still responsible for an inevitability even if you stepped away before it actually happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

I have finally done it. I have removed the podcast from the phone. Just sick of the repetitive topics, same people with same opinions, never a counter voice. And like was said above Eamon can be nauseating in his pandering to the guest's egos. Goodbye The Stand.

I have finally done it. I have removed the podcast from the phone. Just sick of the repetitive topics, same people with same opinions, never a counter voice. And like was said above Eamon can be nauseating in his pandering to the guest's egos. Goodbye The Stand.

So that means you won’t be posting on here anymore so, have you thought this true.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

hermano wrote: »
    He should do another interview with the lad from waterford whispers. He couldnt hold together the whole podcast. It was gold

I listened back to this today, very funny hearing Eamon struggling to finish his sentences.

So that means you won’t be posting on here anymore so, have you thought this true.

Well I need to find something to put in it's place and then maybe I can go and post on that thread. Not saying that I won't come back to The Stand, maybe when COVID and the American election are both completely finished, but I deleted it about a week ago and that will be it for the moment.

It's hard to find a podcast that doesn't become repetitive very quickly. I guess it's because most of them don't really have any resources and end up talking to the same people and about the same topics.

Well I need to find something to put in it's place and then maybe I can go and post on that thread. Not saying that I won't come back to The Stand, maybe when COVID and the American election are both completely finished, but I deleted it about a week ago and that will be it for the moment.

It's hard to find a podcast that doesn't become repetitive very quickly. I guess it's because most of them don't really have any resources and end up talking to the same people and about the same topics.

Callan kicks.
    The nobody zone is interesting there is two mew episodes added

Callan kicks.
    The nobody zone is interesting there is two mew episodes added

I didn't catch the two new episodes yet. I was very disappointed in the thing overall. I thought it was too much in love with itself and too long. The one episode where they interviewed Kelly's ex boss was fascinating though.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Eamon fully deserves, and should take, a long holiday. His intellect has been head and shoulders above most public figures in Irish life for decades. His Covid reporting was heavily influenced by personal circumstances. Also lost the run of himself regarding Trump where he, like so many in the media, was obsessed with Trump the (very unusual) man rather than as the counter-balance to a deeply unpopular Democratic party.

He should put his feet up until 2021 and come back stronger than ever. Meanwhile, Happy Christmas Eamon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

72sheep wrote: »
    Eamon fully deserves, and should take, a long holiday. His intellect has been head and shoulders above most public figures in Irish life for decades. His Covid reporting was heavily influenced by personal circumstances. Also lost the run of himself regarding Trump where he, like so many in the media, was obsessed with Trump the (very unusual) man rather than as the counter-balance to a deeply unpopular Democratic party.

He should put his feet up until 2021 and come back stronger than ever. Meanwhile, Happy Christmas Eamon!

It wasn't above John Delaneys :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Listened to the most recent Naomi O'Leary episode.
    I've said it before, but she really is a great contributor.
    I really like her positive outlook but also the knowledge she brings.

Found the chat about working from home and some of the life it may bring back to rural Ireland as very topical and interesting.
    As someone who is (in the next few weeks) moving back home from Dublin, I was able to very easily relate to what she was talking about.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I wonder what's up with Liam Brady. I'd have thought he'd be a shoe in for today's show reflecting on Maradona's life considering he played against him.

Brady and Giles had a bit of a barney on the show previous to Brady going on gur.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

humberklog wrote: »
    I wonder what's up with Liam Brady. I'd have thought he'd be a shoe in for today's show reflecting on Maradona's life considering he played against him.

Brady and Giles had a bit of a barney on the show previous to Brady going on gur.

At times people probably have things going on in their lives which prevent them 'working' etc.

If Eamon and John were able to get past Eamon's comments on John tackling players around the time he wrote Keane's book, I'd say they're all mature enough to not let a little disagreement become a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Anyone listen to the Gerry Killeen one the other day?

He was very positive about the vaccine situation and the outlook in general.

It was like listening to a different person to the one we've been hearing from for the last 6 months or so.

An interesting listen for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

El Sueño wrote: »
    Anyone listen to the Gerry Killeen one the other day?

He was very positive about the vaccine situation and the outlook in general.

It was like listening to a different person to the one we've been hearing from for the last 6 months or so.

An interesting listen for sure.

Yeah it was laughable tbh. He’s a doom merchant, peddling fear all during this pandemic. Back tracking big time now.

I like this podcast but Thomas Ryan was on AGAIN today and I’m just sick of listening to him waffling. I tried ten mins of it and couldn’t hack it. He feeds into Eamons narrative about this whole thing so I think he just has him on for some type of confirmation bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Anyone else think T. Ryan (and Eamon too) is beginning to sound a little frazzled. Calling things "a mess", quoting opinion polls and appealing on behalf of an apparently unheard "silent majority".

I also managed to notice a Chris Johns podcast and deleted it before pressing Play.

As the song goes, it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas :D

72sheep wrote: »
    Anyone else think T. Ryan (and Eamon too) is beginning to sound a little frazzled. Calling things "a mess", quoting opinion polls and appealing on behalf of an apparently unheard "silent majority".

I also managed to notice a Chris Johns podcast and deleted it before pressing Play.

As the song goes, it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas :D

One of the reason eamon is focused on covid is because as a man in his 70s he could well be the next victim and it isn’t until something hits home that it really bothers you.
    As for Thomas Ryan he has an awful habit of being right on these things.
    Given the choice of the two British contributors Chris Jon’s or Brendan lord haha ONeill I’d take Chris Jon’s every time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

One of the reason eamon is focused on covid is because as a man in his 70s he could well be the next victim and it isn’t until something hits home that it really bothers you.
    As for Thomas Ryan he has an awful habit of being right on these things.
    Given the choice of the two British contributors Chris Jon’s or Brendan lord haha ONeill I’d take Chris Jon’s every time
    Dunphy also has a medical condition making him vulnerable.

I dont get the hate for Ryan, he has been right all along.

• Advertisement

The Irish Guy in Sweden on again today.

Eamo with the now-customary "Tegnell Tattoo" intro - "many people in Sweden got a Tegnell Tattoo" . Probably about 5 across the population of Sweden in actuality.

Looking like that it can be said at this point that the Swedish approach has been a failure.

They are tightening up in the face of big case numbers and deaths.

Although they apparently are quite restricted due to their constitution on what they can close.

As Swedish people keep their distance culturally / in general and a lot live alone in comparison to Ireland can only imagine what the cluster-fcuk would have been here if that policy was followed.

Advertisement