Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Lol the doom monger didn't say it would get this bad so he is full of crap. I've heard it all now.

Lots of things which "were impossible" have happened already. If there was the political will zero covid could be done, it wasnt even tried. It should be even at this stage.

His point all along is that rolling lockdowns are worse and more damaging than zero covid.

When zero covid was first brought up we were told that it wasnt necessary that there would not be rolling lockdowns because track and trace would deal with it, that was wrong. We were told that zero covid would destroy the economy, 3 lockdowns (and there will be more) have proved much worse. Ryan and co have been proved right on every count.

Lol the doom monger didn't say it would get this bad so he is full of crap. I've heard it all now.

Lots of things which "were impossible" have happened already. If there was the political will zero covid could be done, it wasnt even tried. It should be even at this stage.

His point all along is that rolling lockdowns are worse and more damaging than zero covid.

When zero covid was first brought up we were told that it wasnt necessary that there would not be rolling lockdowns because track and trace would deal with it, that was wrong. We were told that zero covid would destroy the economy, 3 lockdowns (and there will be more) have proved much worse. Ryan and co have been proved right on every count.

he never offered a solution to get to the mythical zero covid for Ireland and it's shared jurisdiction with the north - just kept alluding to it with no actual way to get there. it's a fantasy concept unless there is some path outlined to it.

in his last podcast with Dunphy before this he was not talking about the levels we are now seeing.

glasso wrote: »
    he never offered a solution to get to the mythical zero covid for Ireland and it's shared jurisdiction with the north - just kept alluding to it with no actual way to get there. it's a fantasy concept unless there is some path outlined to it.

in his last podcast with Dunphy before this he was not talking about the levels we are now seeing.
    He said he didn't think it would get this bad, but the fact it is merely underlines how correct he was.

He is a scientist, not a politician. If you apply a standard where someone who proposes something has to give a step by step instruction dotting all the I's and crossing all the t's nothing would ever be done. That we should negotiate and try and get an all island approach is as much as could be expected from him.

"We need to do more to protect nursing homes by having more staff and have ways for the vaccine to be delivered and for staff to segregate and isolate without mingling of shifts" "Give me a precise 100 point, costed plan or else fcuk off concerned citizen and leave things as is".

Nuclear fusion power is a great idea.

I'm all for it.

Nuclear Fusion is a great idea.

I'm all for it.

He isnt suggesting something that has not been done before, all island approaches have happened in the past.

• Advertisement

He isnt suggesting something that has not been done before, all island approaches have happened in the past.

At this point the All-Ireland approach and closing borders is completely irrelevant in any case as the rate is so high.

That only becomes relevant when the rate is low / very low to keep it low or get it lower.

As a general comment it's obvious that adherence to Level 5 in the overall population has unfortunately not been happening internally in the Republic of Ireland due to fatigue of the whole situation going on so long.

The level of compliance on lockdown 1 vs 2 was completely different.

Even allowing for schools and construction this is blindingly obvious from something as simple as the levels of traffic about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,353 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

that's the thing imo - Ryan never offered a solution for how it could be achieved here on this island that shares a border with the north - just went on about it that it should be pursued as a strategy - which offers nothing really except some sort of repetitive point.

he also never suggested / predicted that the high levels of the current time would come about in this timeframe.

It's not Thomas Ryan who is ultimately in charge of these decisions.

He suggested lots of things that the Government faffed on or never enforced properly - quarantine for international travellers, a robust testing and tracing system.

The time when zero Covid might have realistically been a runner was during the Summer when cases were as low as they were ever going to be.

Just because he's not a diplomat or a politician means that he's never going to be around the table making those decisions, but just because he's outside that loop doesn't mean he's not entitled to point out to those inside it that they should be pursuing a different strategy.

If someone had told you in March that this is where we would be in January would you still think that another 12-15, maybe more, months of rolling Lockdowns and the constant economic and social damage was the absolute right course of action to pursue?

As regards to him not calling the grimness of right now - sure, maybe he should have been even more doomier so.

my main issue with him is that he was simply repeating the same high-level point about "strategy" and that in itself doesn't really offer much if anything

him frankly going on about New Zealand as a comparative was pretty pointless as a comparison and make him look less credible as a voice.

it's a whole different matter to actually seal off the country in terms of airports and ports, get the completely different jurisdiction of the north on board somehow and in perfect alignment at the exact right time with all the considerations that come with it and with on the other side of the equation another lot of muppets clamouring for the "wet" pubs to be opened at the same time as well as not dealing with the internal issues that came up - meat factories, asylum seeker accommodation etc that led to cases going back up

Stockholm man was back on - surely no more mileage can be dragged out of the Sweden situation after this one?

Eamo slightly modified his intro slightly by stating that it is women who have the Tegnell tattoo's

Afair he wasn't gender-specific about the tattoo recipients heretofore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

Ryan went out before xmas to 2 restaurants but felt uncomfortable because of the way the people were set up in them. I'm shocked he ventured out at all

• Advertisement

jay0109 wrote: »
    Ryan went out before xmas to 2 restaurants but felt uncomfortable because of the way the people were set up in them. I'm shocked he ventured out at all

yes did find that at odds to his mantra

some would call him a hypocrite but fair dues for admitting it I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

jay0109 wrote: »

He actually put up a picture on his Instagram on one of the nights - see below

tryancovid.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,559 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I know they had Stanage on yesterday but would be great to have him on again today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Actually had to double check halfway through the Kinahan pod that it wasn't a repost I was listening to.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭dmn22

jaykay74 wrote: »
    I know they had Stanage on yesterday but would be great to have him on again today.

New Stanage pod up just now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

dmn22 wrote: »
    New Stanage pod up just now :)

Contains the longest overrun question in recorded human history

transcribed below in the name of science.

“Is this would you say, the end of something, has, was yesterday for Americans a moment of such shocking shame, that this, eh, populist movement that he has led is going to find it hard going, OR, is it the beginning of something, that the polarisation of America is such, that eh even eh the Biden Harris administration with support from the Congress and the senate eh, facing the terrible task of repairing the American economy, of dealing with the covid pandemic and the 350000 people that have lost their lives, and more to come, it'll get worse, as Joe Biden says, before it gets better, eh, is this country amenable to government at all?“

• Registered Users Posts: 17,319 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Stockholm man was back on - surely no more mileage can be dragged out of the Sweden situation after this one?

Eamo slightly modified his intro slightly by stating that it is women who have the Tegnell tattoo's

Afair he wasn't gender-specific about the tattoo recipients heretofore

Eamo absolutely loves regurgitating the Tegnell tattoo story again and again and again. That and "on July 2, Ireland had 3 new cases and 3 deaths". He's battered both of those particular nuggets to death over the past 6 months. I wonder does he realise how much he repeats himself sometimes? In fairness he is in his mid 70's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭Tork

I'm just waiting for him to wheel out Chris Johns's quote about the media hacks and after dinner speakers (or whatever it was). If you can live with Eamo's repetition, it's a good podcast to dip in and out of. I bet he's tickled pink that he's had Donie O'Sullivan on his podcast

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

that's the thing imo - Ryan never offered a solution for how it could be achieved here on this island that shares a border with the north - just went on about it that it should be pursued as a strategy - which offers nothing really except some sort of repetitive point.

he also never suggested / predicted that the high levels of the current time would come about in this timeframe.

i think you seem to be obsessed with taking sides and finding peoples' agendas and politics and all of that.

tomas Ryan is on the show just to give his best scientific opinion. he is not in the position to find political solutions. i agree with you that zero Covid on the island seems to be a no go, but not because of the border, and moreso the irresponsible attitude and behaviour of the general population.

kowloonkev wrote: »
    i think you seem to be obsessed with taking sides and finding peoples' agendas and politics and all of that.

tomas Ryan is on the show just to give his best scientific opinion. he is not in the position to find political solutions. i agree with you that zero Covid on the island seems to be a no go, but not because of the border, and moreso the irresponsible attitude and behaviour of the general population.

not sure what you mean by that exactly - I haven't asked anyone what their agenda is although sometimes it's clear

certainly the lack of adherence is a massive factor, particularly at this stage - Christmas behaviour evidenced that even if wasn't level 5 - too many people just couldn't give a feck - hence massive case numbers

Massive Christmas fail for the "it will be grand" brigade - contact tracing discovered that plenty had 20 to 30 close contacts

no help from the nordies or dem foreigners was required.

• Advertisement

Still going on even

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40203584.html
    FRI, 08 JAN, 2021 - 17:38
    PÁDRAIG HOARE
    A birthday party in Cork had to be broken up by gardaí on Thursday night at the height of the Covid-19 pandemic, with more than 100 mostly maskless people not adhering to social distance guidelines ordered to disperse.

Gardaí confirmed that they arrived to a venue in Blarney around 11pm, which they described as a shed, where a “large gathering in excess of 100 people was taking place”.

kowloonkev wrote: »

Definitely not. It was the governments decision to open up in the summer. Compliance was much higher then. I have no doubt in my mind that with the correct (apparently impossible) policy, we would be living relatively normal lives right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mcgucc22

D.Q wrote: »

“Is this would you say, the end of something, has, was yesterday for Americans a moment of such shocking shame, that this, eh, populist movement that he has led is going to find it hard going, OR, is it the beginning of something, that the polarisation of America is such, that eh even eh the Biden Harris administration with support from the Congress and the senate eh, facing the terrible task of repairing the American economy, of dealing with the covid pandemic and the 350000 people that have lost their lives, and more to come, it'll get worse, as Joe Biden says, before it gets better, eh, is this country amenable to government at all?“

I like Dunphy and I like the podcast, but the way he goes about asking questions is atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

mcgucc22 wrote: »
    I like Dunphy and I like the podcast, but way he goes about asking questions is atrocious.

yeah same! mostly listen to the Stanage/ Giles episodes, no interest in tallant/covid.

That question was ridiculous though, I actually zoned out a bit and when I zoned back in I couldn't believe he was still talking in circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

mcgucc22 wrote: »
    I like Dunphy and I like the podcast, but way he goes about asking questions is atrocious.

Definitely doesn't come across well when you see it written out like that but I think the intonation he uses as he speaks conveys the complexity and range of context associated with the subject. Good interviewees can pick up on this 'unsaid' element and refer to it in their answer.

It's one thing I like about Eamon's style in that he conveys that there are many different layers to topics and that simple black and white positions aren't necessarily appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭garbanzo

D.Q wrote: »

...a good question not a great question ! 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Eamon will hit Episode #1,000 this week.

That’s some going for a man of 75 years, even if I do find myself skipping 80% of episodes lately. Does anyone know when he started the podcast?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

That’s some going for a man of 75 years, even if I do find myself skipping 80% of episodes lately. Does anyone know when he started the podcast?

He is getting from free weetabix from Tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Nov 2016 according to this.
    THE FIRST EPISODE of Eamon Dunphy’s new football podcast ‘The Stand’ is set to be released on Friday (25 November).

Interestingly marketed as a 'Football' podcast at that time. Given that was the same month Trump won the election in the US, I'd say the football focus went out the window pretty quick. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭steve_r

The recent episode with Diarmuid Ferriter on the mother and baby homes was very good. Ferriter obviously knows his onions and is able to put things in context, including the fact that people were aware of this conditions and spoke out against how the people were being treated.

Dunphy made some good comments as well about the type of society that allows this to happen, and how the leaders of the day doubtless knew what was going on

Advertisement