Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even More Tesco Bargains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

dulpit wrote: »
    1. Tesco has a pharmacy in some stores?
    2. Tallaght has adopted the sterling?

1. Yes.
    2. Ah c'mon. It's a tesco typo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Tallaght secedes to the Union as an isolated enclave.
    Actually saw this recently,

Biscuits on offer were marked in pence, either the sticky label machine was set up wrong or, I thought they just got stock in from the UK??

Or the euro is starting to crumble.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭lowelife

cerastes wrote: »
    Tallaght secedes to the Union as an isolated enclave.
    Actually saw this recently,

Biscuits on offer were marked in pence, either the sticky label machine was set up wrong or, I thought they just got stock in from the UK??

Or the euro is starting to crumble.

Like a biscuit?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 TrinityM

Have seen £ stickers at Tesco Tralee as well.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

1. Tesco has a pharmacy in some stores?
    2. Tallaght has adopted the sterling?

About 8 stores had pharmacies when I stopped doing the IT support for them in 2013; I'd assume its more

Basically any new large store that didn't already have a pharmacy tenant (on Tesco property) in place more or less. So Naas, Balbriggan etc would have them but not Maynooth as there's a private pharmacy in the centre that rent from Tesco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Are the Tesco pharmacies any cheaper?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Anyone find any of these elsewhere? I'd still love one of anyone finds them...

There are four on the shelf in Naas

Still reduced

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Keter-17193522-Glenwood-Storage-Box/dp/B004V8D8G0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1437586330&sr=8-2&keywords=keter+deck+box

I think they are cheaper by a little bit, probably depends what you are getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

Rackstar wrote: »

Where in Naas, couldn't see them. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They're among the cheapest pharmacies. Generally anywhere with one, the others nearby price match or at least come close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

matchthis wrote: »
    Where in Naas, couldn't see them. Thanks

Between the aisle with the school uniforms and the aisle with the toasters / kettles. One of those 2 aisles half way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Golla laptop backpacks, €19.90 in Naas - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Golla-Const-G831-Laptop-Backpack/dp/B0039MIS50/ref=sr_1_2?s=luggage&ie=UTF8&qid=1438326120&sr=1-2&keywords=Laptop+bag

They have lots of red (as pictured on Amazon) and a handful of off white. In the computer section.

Paddy
    --
    71jkgsQPqDL._SL1000_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

snubbleste wrote: »
    Lots of silly prices in gardening
    T Basics Hand Fork & Trowel Set 37c
    T All Purpose Ready Mixed Filler 750g Tub 2.00
    T Flexible Tub Yellow 74c
    T 12inch Butterfly Bracket for hanging basket 69c
    etc

Loads of these in the Douglas store too. Bird and butterfly hanging basket brackets all 69c but not shown on sticker. Still full price on sticker but they scan at 69c.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

Big time for prescription drugs. My mum got her warfarin prescription for something like €80 as compared to €120 or so that it's usually cost her.
    if you have high cost prescription charges it is noticeably cheaper. Not sure about the over the counter stuff.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

coffeepls wrote: »
    Big time for prescription drugs. My mum got her warfarin prescription for something like €80 as compared to €120 or so that it's usually cost her.
    if you have high cost prescription charges it is noticeably cheaper. Not sure about the over the counter stuff.

I'm on Warfarin- I get 1s/3s and 5s- from a local independent pharmacy- for less than 60 per month. Tesco use Teva generic warfarin- which is an option in most independent pharmacies. The lower price on Warfarin in Tesco is purely because they dispense a generic- any local pharmacy using the same generic- charges a similar amount. The example given for Warfarin- is not valid.

I spend at very least the 144 DPS level each month- alongside another 150-160 on OTC medications (we've an interesting medley of conditions in this house). I can not save anything on prescription costs in Tesco- where I do save money- is on some OTC medications/treatments (only some- not across the board). An example of a saving- Compeed cold sore patches- Tesco 8.99. Boots generic 9.99. Local pharmacy 12.50. However- certain things- like Bepanthem- 8.99 in Tesco, 3-for-2 at 8.99 in Boots, 8.99 in local pharmacy. Gaviscon- is cheaper- anywhere other than Tesco- local pharmacy has larger boxes and is cheaper. Generic paracetamol/aspirin/ibuprofen- Boots is cheaper than anywhere- followed by local pharmacies- followed by Tesco (I have no idea why these cost so much here- I can get them for pennies over the border).

Certain products- are significantly cheaper in Tesco pharmacies- others are comparable with elsewhere- and some- for strange reasons- aren't competitive at all. I don't think they benchmark their pharmacy sections against competitors- in the same way they do their grocery sections.

If you get OTC clearances in Tesco Pharmacy sections (which regularly happens on OTC medications)- you can really pick up a saving- but its not something you can plan ahead for- its random- great if you see something on special that you want- but very random.

It can be worthwhile using the pharmacy in Tesco- but its not consistent- and the main reason for using it would be to collect your medications while you're shopping- as a convenience- rather than imagining that you're going to save a significant sum of money by using it. It is convenient- yes. Its not remarkably cheap though. Personally- all-in-all, I'd rather support an Irish owned independent- if its not going to cost me to do so. What I tend to do- is look for specials- and aside from my 144 DPS spend- which has to be in the same pharmacy every month- plan the rest of our chemist purchases on a price basis where possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

Do you get clubcard points from Tesco pharmacists?
    Personally- all-in-all, I'd rather support an Irish owned independent- if its not going to cost me to do so

I understand the sentiment but the Irish pharmacist sector has needed competition for a long time too. The prices for Tesco in the North are ridiculously cheap compared to the price in the Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Do you get clubcard points from Tesco pharmacists?

I understand the sentiment but the Irish pharmacist sector has needed competition for a long time too. The prices for Tesco in the North are ridiculously cheap compared to the price in the Republic.

Tru dat......not just Tesco...any Pharmacy, be it a chain or an independent. In Norn Iron you can buy Paracetemol as cheaply as 15p a pack, prob cheaper if you're prepared to shop around!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 TrinityM

In Norn Iron you can buy Paracetemol as cheaply as 15p a pack, prob cheaper if you're prepared to shop around!

We came back here from the US 6 months ago. I was going to bring a big jar of 500 Paracetamol tablets I got for $4, but ended up accidentally leaving it behind. I was seriously kicking myself when I saw the prices here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Don't I know it. For OTC stuff- if you pop up the M1- I'd suggest to Sprucefield rather than Newry- you have Boots, Sainsburys and others- and can get many things for a tenth what they cost here. (I tend to avoid Newry- the traffic and parking is nuts).

The advent of pharmacy clubs here- where you pay membership fees to join and then get generics at cost- and the fact that they delivery nationally- is definitely going to be a gamechanger- once a sufficient portion of the population discover them.

Back to Tesco- yesterday at Maynooth- when I asked them to split our shopping into batches of 50- to use Aldi vouchers- they advised they've been told to put it through in a single transaction and to take a commensurate number of coupons from customers- which is faster for them- and of course for customers.

Some gardening stuff is still there- mostly on the 'seasonal' aisle- backing onto the clothes section- not in the gardening section itself.

Bic briteliners etc- which are apparently on special in some other branches- are not reduced (I scanned several different pack sizes to be sure).

Not a bargain- but they've refreshed the meal deal options- with selections that are probably a bit more acceptable to Irish tastes.

To be honest- no compelling bargains in Tesco at the moment- nada. The only reason for shopping there- is to get 20% off using competitor coupons- but even then- the likes of Lidl with their wines of the world display- are a far more tempting proposition- though both Aldi and Lidl have definitely increased their prices lately- probably to pay for the use of coupons in their stores......

Tesco Maynooth- have a few 40" Display models (mostly Sony) on offer- might be worth a look in if someone needs a new panel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Rackstar wrote: »

Had someone check naas for me Saturday morning. None left. Asked staff also.

Would appreciate if anyone spots these around Dublin to let us know please

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Along with the gardening tools, various outdoor garden games/toys reduced in Wexford. Sorry was in a rush so didn't check but there seemed to be an inflatable paddling pool... In the seasonal aisle.

I imagine they need to clear the shelves for the selection boxes which should be arriving at the end of the month!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I've been waiting all of my life to say that...
    :D:):rolleyes::pac:

Tesco Dutch Hoe's scanning at €1.49. Don't know what price they were originally as there was no SEL where they were stored. Seem like reasonably good quality; certainly worth €1.49!

I think it's this one:
    http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-stainless-steel-dutch-hoe/205-7027.prd

I needed a new hoe too! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭KathleenF

Midnight blue leather smart covers for iPad Air 2 in Killarney, down to €19.44, only that colour. All others still at €79.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Johnnie walker black label €36
    Will return to €48 after August 11th

Seve OB wrote: »
    Had someone check naas for me Saturday morning. None left. Asked staff also.

Would appreciate if anyone spots these around Dublin to let us know please

I looked on friday, gone by then anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Loads of Birds Eye stuff reduced.
    Oreo ice-cream cones 4pk €1.50 & Haagen-Dazs 500ml tubs half price.

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Productbuylist/default.aspx?id=L00000132&sc_cmp=eml_ROI_NL_15_23_03_RNS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Techmaster wrote: »
    Loads of Birds Eye stuff reduced.
    Oreo ice-cream cones 4pk €1.50 & Haagen-Dazs 500ml tubs half price.

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Productbuylist/default.aspx?id=L00000132&sc_cmp=eml_ROI_NL_15_23_03_RNS

€6.77 RRP on the Haagen-Dazs. That's some selling price for ice-cream.

Doesn't even tempt me at €3.38.......wow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭Gormal

Tralee Manor store, Kerry have Belkin N300 wireless modem routers for €5 model number F7D2401quk only four left, in the aisle with house phones, cdrs etc

• Advertisement

In Tesco Naas today, browsing through the wine clearance section. Baron De Ley Siete Vinas Reserva 2005 reduced to €4 from €8 apparently.
    Vivino rates the wine at 4.3 out of 5 with an average selling price of €34!
    Bargain bottle, I picked up 6 and there are a few left on the shelf.
    Opened one tonight and quite pleased with it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement