Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even More Tesco Bargains

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Gormal wrote: »
    Tralee Manor store, Kerry have Belkin N300 wireless modem routers for €5 model number F7D2401quk only four left, in the aisle with house phones, cdrs etc

Range on it is crap (and the speed too). It was a bargain 'Wireless N' router. I got mine for 22 quid- 2-3 years ago. I used mine for less than a week before I gave up in frustration and bought a proper wireless router. If you pay a fiver for it- its a nice shiny black paperweight. Avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

I bought the same router last year also. It was a mistake to buy cheap for such an important bit of kit for the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Tomato firmware (polarcloud.com/tomato) can be installed on the Belkin, just mentioning, if someone wants to spend a fiver and dabble...

There is a Belkin, 'N300RT', listed on the DD-WRT website. (dd-wrt.com)

I'm not sure if it is the specific model being sold in Tesco..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Amalgam wrote: »
    Tomato firmware (polarcloud.com/tomato) can be installed on the Belkin, just mentioning, if someone wants to spend a fiver and dabble...

There is a Belkin, 'N300RT', listed on the DD-WRT website. (dd-wrt.com)

I'm not sure if it is the specific model being sold in Tesco..

Just wondering - would that work well with a UPC router? As in wire the UPC route to the wireless router and then connect wirelessly to that Belkin? Reason I ask is that our UPC internet is so solid and fast when wired, but appalling with wireless...

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

dulpit wrote: »
    Just wondering - would that work well with a UPC router? As in wire the UPC route to the wireless router and then connect wirelessly to that Belkin? Reason I ask is that our UPC internet is so solid and fast when wired, but appalling with wireless...

Yes it will work but don't bank on this making much of a difference. There's a limit to hire fast the signal can be transmitted wirelessly and that will degrade the further you get from the router (the radio signal weakens). I can't imagine the transmitter in this is fantastic but you might be able to use it as a signal booster on another party of the house (although I'm not an expert so you might want to research that before you go of and buy it for that purpose). I had a Netgear one that went back because it was rubbish, the UPC one was better which shows how bad it was, and I suspect this might be of the same 'generation'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ablelocks

douglas, cork

blue philips bluetooth speaker BT100a - €7.50 (not sure if there are any more left)
    sony xrs-3 - marked on sale at 119 or so but scanning at 60 - about 3 or 4 left

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

dulpit wrote: »

The UPC wireless gear is crap but so is this.

You need a pro-grade or close to router, ASUS RT66 or whatever has replaced it or similar. These are very dear.

You also won't ever get more than about 50mbits until you get rid of all -g only devices (old stuff: phones, handheld consoles, range extenders, etc, etc); and even then unless you've got 5Ghz -ac kit you won't get close to the full speed UPC can offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

L1011 wrote: »
    You need a pro-grade or close to router, ASUS RT66 or whatever has replaced it or similar. These are very dear.

True dat. To be fair you get wasn't you pay for though, that's a fantastic piece of kit ( the rt 66 that is but I'd be surprised if you can get if for less than €100)

Oh and for the obligatory bargain post they have 12 packs of club orange and seven up for 5.50, not bargain of the century but a nice saving if you're going to buy them anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭koriko

TrinityM wrote: »
    Have seen £ stickers at Tesco Tralee as well.
    Wilton and ballincollig stores in cork also- noticed the pound sign this week- I think it's stock from the UK possibly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

ITT: Even less tesco bargains :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭garbeth

koriko wrote: »
    Wilton and ballincollig stores in cork also- noticed the pound sign this week- I think it's stock from the UK possibly?

I would say that the label machines just came from the UK and cannot be changed to euro. The discount is in euros and you pay in euro regardless of the sign

Roundabout way to get a Tesco bargain- Bord Gáis have launched a customer retention programme. Pre-existing customers who contact them- get a 75 Euro Tesco giftcard, alongside a free boiler service (if you're a gas customer) or in the case of an electricity or dual account- 7% off the unit price for gas and 8% for electricity. You're signing for a 12 month contract. The unit prices are not the cheapest out there- but the free boiler service and the 75 quid voucher- are the icing on the cake for this offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Roundabout way to get a Tesco bargain- Bord Gáis have launched a customer retention programme. Pre-existing customers who contact them- get a 75 Euro Tesco giftcard, alongside a free boiler service (if you're a gas customer) or in the case of an electricity or dual account- 7% off the unit price for gas and 8% for electricity. You're signing for a 12 month contract. The unit prices are not the cheapest out there- but the free boiler service and the 75 quid voucher- are the icing on the cake for this offer.

Sounds great, any link to this, recently joined them

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Sounds great, any link to this, recently joined them

Link to it in Yesterday's Indo Link here

One thing- if you've only recently joined them- you're probably under contract with them- so in your case, it would only apply once you're out of contract again.

The only downside to the scheme- is you have to sign up to their 'Level Pay' thing- where it equalises pay throughout the year. I'd much rather not do this- but the voucher and the free boiler service take the sting out of the tale for me.......... I'm out of contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MoeJay

Tesco Extra Dundalk is selling on clearance Rhinoshield ipad and ipad mini screen protectors reduced from approximately €40 to €5.99 and €5.59 respectively.. Cheaper than any of the others in store! About 10 left of each as far as I could see

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

When were they ever worth €40 though?!? Hardly

€2 on eBay for the same job.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MoeJay

Dunno if they're worth €40, the cheapest I could find the same item on EBay was £15... Anyhow...

• Registered Users Posts: 35 gollyn9

Board Gais incentive scheme

The only downside to the scheme- is you have to sign up to their 'Level Pay' thing- where it equalises pay throughout the year. I'd much rather not do this- but the voucher and the free boiler service take the sting out of the tale for me.......... I'm out of contract.[/quote]

do you have to pay by direct debit for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

gollyn9 wrote: »
    Board Gais incentive scheme

The only downside to the scheme- is you have to sign up to their 'Level Pay' thing- where it equalises pay throughout the year. I'd much rather not do this- but the voucher and the free boiler service take the sting out of the tale for me.......... I'm out of contract.

do you have to pay by direct debit for this?[/QUOTE]

yes and your bills are monthly, I signed up last week and now i'm wondering did I do the right thing no more small bills in the summer but then again no more big bills in winter

Donegal Catch Cod- two pieces (nice chunky pieces) half price @ 1.50
    Found- Tesco Maynooth- presumably its nationwide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Lunaarli

casio4 wrote: »

yes and your bills are monthly, I signed up last week and now i'm wondering did I do the right thing no more small bills in the summer but then again no more big bills in winter[/quote]

I just don't get the billing like that. If you use less will you be refunded?! Or if you use loads more will you be charged loads more?!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

Lunaarli wrote: »
    yes and your bills are monthly, I signed up last week and now i'm wondering did I do the right thing no more small bills in the summer but then again no more big bills in winter

I just don't get the billing like that. If you use less will you be refunded?! Or if you use loads more will you be charged loads more?![/QUOTE]

yes i'm nearly sure you are refunded if you use less and charged if you use more

I just don't get the billing like that. If you use less will you be refunded?! Or if you use loads more will you be charged loads more?!

yes i'm nearly sure you are refunded if you use less and charged if you use more[/QUOTE]

Its assessed after a 6 month (of your 12 month contract) period. If you have used less- you have a credit applied to your account- if more- a debit- and the monthly amount is then adjusted to take into account your actual usage over the preceding period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

yes and your bills are monthly, I signed up last week and now i'm wondering did I do the right thing no more small bills in the summer but then again no more big bills in winter[/QUOTE]

I would say about 99.9% off all people who pay for gas and electric pay on a budget plan. I couldnt believe it when i came to Ireland and found out people signed up for Direct Debit without having any idea how much money would come out of their bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭thebiglad

I would say about 99.9% off all people who pay for gas and electric pay on a budget plan. I couldnt believe it when i came to Ireland and found out people signed up for Direct Debit without having any idea how much money would come out of their bank.[/QUOTE]

I have level pay and it's great - the initial monthly payment is I assume set on your billing history (I cannot remember as signed up many moons ago) - the amount is then set with each bill (Bi-Monthly) for the next 3 months so no real surprises.

Your bill tracks whether you are in debit or credit, sure you probably pay more in Summer than you otherwise would and less in Winter but the whole of point of it is budgeting.

Generally when my payments move up on down (and I have been on it for years) it is by less than €10.

If you cancel or change supplier I guess you will either pay any shortfall in the balance (immediately) or receive a cheque refund (eventually :))

If, like me you just want stable monthly outgoings then it is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,841 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I would say about 99.9% off all people who pay for gas and electric pay on a budget plan. I couldnt believe it when i came to Ireland and found out people signed up for Direct Debit without having any idea how much money would come out of their bank.

not a hope
    if you had of said 50% I would have given you the benefit of the doubt, but really I would say most likely less than 15%

Seve OB wrote: »
    not a hope
    if you had of said 50% I would have given you the benefit of the doubt, but really I would say most likely less than 15%

Sorry I messed up my post. I meant to say people in the UK. Nowhere near 50% pay on a budget plan in Ireland, more like 20% and thats only because Bord Gais and SSE Airtricity have been pushing it.

I sold energy in the UK for nearly a decade before moving here and doing it here. I did not see a single person pay by direct debit who wasnt on a budget plan. In fact it wasnt even an option. If you were paying by direct debit you paid it monthly.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The two UK firms pushing it hard suggests more that it's ingrained business practice than consumer preference

L1011 wrote: »
    The two UK firms pushing it hard suggests more that it's ingrained business practice than consumer preference

Although Bord Gais is now owned by Centrica (British Gas) ythey were pushing the budget plan way before that happened. The concept is simple, if its easier for people to pay they are more likely to pay it. A lot of people struggle to pay a huge winter bill and therefore the budget plan spreads the winter period over the entire year., I cant see why you wouldnt want to do it myself.

• Advertisement

I cant see why you wouldnt want to do it myself.

Calculation errors, difficulties recovering overpayments - particularly if you leave, no immediate impact of a unit price decrease - I could go on. BGEs compulsion to use it for better rates is pretty much proof positive that it benefits the supplier far more than the consumer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement