Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even More Tesco Bargains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Toxica

Tesco's vegetarian sausages in baked beans are half price at 60c at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

I heard from a friend that works there. There will be lots more of end of line products coming soon as Tesco are attempting to reduce the amount of products they stock and fill the shelves up with rows of the same thing. Apparently its what the customer wants?????? Coffee and Tea are on the firing line next I am told.

If I wanted a simple line of products, I would shop at a discounter. Buts thats a whole other argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I heard from a friend that works there. There will be lots more of end of line products coming soon as Tesco are attempting to reduce the amount of products they stock and fill the shelves up with rows of the same thing. Apparently its what the customer wants?????? Coffee and Tea are on the firing line next I am told.

If I wanted a simple line of products, I would shop at a discounter. Buts thats a whole other argument.

+1
    Ah the old "that's what the customer wants" excuse. Yes, as a customer I'm always disappointed to find a range of products to choose from....it's much easier when a store does all the hard work for me and offer a cheap, average and expensive option and stick to them only; no need for fancy new styles or tastes, sure we Irish need everything to be done for us or to be told how to behave by our British betters.

It's like when they tied 24 hour opening here because that's what the customer wants. Then those hours were cut because that's what the customer wants.

Here's what I want Tesco. How about you cut your excessive margins and instead of screwing us you offer the same deals and discounts as you do in the UK? Or how about consistency in pricing between your Express and Extra stores? Seeing as I (a customer) want both of those, I assume they'll both be in place by Friday in all stores?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

+1
    Ah the old "that's what the customer wants" excuse. Yes, as a customer I'm always disappointed to find a range of products to choose from....it's much easier when a store does all the hard work for me and offer a cheap, average and expensive option and stick to them only; no need for fancy new styles or tastes, sure we Irish need everything to be done for us or to be told how to behave by our British betters.

It's like when they tied 24 hour opening here because that's what the customer wants. Then those hours were cut because that's what the customer wants.

Here's what I want Tesco. How about you cut your excessive margins and instead of screwing us you offer the same deals and discounts as you do in the UK? Or how about consistency in pricing between your Express and Extra stores? Seeing as I (a customer) want both of those, I assume they'll both be in place by Friday in all stores?

Thanks.

Yawn yawn a pointless post disguising yet another boring repetitive rant about the bloody British. Will you ever get over it?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It isn't as if they are doing great in the UK either?

But yeah, its a cost cutting exercise. Will be tough on smaller suppliers, niche products etc.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Mr. Muscle extra thick eucalyptus bleach gel less than half price @ 1.30

(the label looks likes its stock that was supposed to be in Bulgaria- and despite it allegedly smelling of eucalyptus- it just smells like a strong bleach)

Half price toilet bleach anyone?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I think its pretty fully admitted it was cut because it wasn't making any money. A tiny subset of stores where it does, for their own reasons, still do it. Roselawn Blanchardstown has the major Garda station and hospital both with significant amounts of 24h workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭ieoin

Call of Duty Ghosts PS3 9.99 in Portlaoise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

+1

Thanks.

It was announced at the end of last year that Tesco were reducing their range by up to 30% in the UK, not sure what the percentage is for Ireland but it's not like they are singling out the irish stores. i know they could do with reductions in some areas of my local store - the toothpaste section is huge lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

coffee and tea have already been done.

At the end of the day, there were simply too many products in certain categories. How many sizes/brands of tomato sauce / mayo do you need, how many brands of basic tea bags do you need - it was crazy the number of options and it was one of the things that moved me to aldi as it just took too long to find what I wanted in Tesco.

The new management at Tesco are focusing more on brands that are well known and deleteing items that are slow sellers (loss makers, which cost the customers money in higher prices!)

Another reason is UK products have become almost 20% more expensive due to sterling and Irish product prices have stayed fairly static - so like many retailers, some UK sorced products are being delisted as they've priced themselves out of the market.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The Dole pineapple tins for 39c are being discontinued. Get 'em before they disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

Got some of the discounted wines with competitor vouchers.
    Mcguigan bin 736 Shiraz and Frieda Vine Shiraz are very nice reds reduced to €7.
    You get a 5% discount on 6 bottles and another ten off with the voucher. Less than €5.50 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

snubbleste wrote: »
    The Dole pineapple tins for 39c are being discontinued. Get 'em before they disappear.

noooooooooooooooooooooooo, my daughter goes through one each day :(

Yawn yawn a pointless post disguising yet another boring repetitive rant about the bloody British. Will you ever get over it?

Way
    To
    Miss
    The
    Point.....

So, all you took out of that was a "rant against the bloody British?"? That's a very selective reading of it.

Way
    To
    Miss
    The
    Point.....

So, all you took out of that was a "rant against the bloody British?"? That's a very selective reading of it.

No, it was accurate reading of it. The rest was drivel about better prices in the UK and was implying prices in Ireland are a rip off.

Its far from true and I suspect based on zero evidence at all. There are many reasons why things are on offer in the UK and likewise the same applies to offers in ROI. You also have to consider that staff wages are typical;ly higher in ROI than the UK and that has to be included in the cost.

FYI I live near the border and Im always shopping in the North, but find myself doing so less and less when you factor in the exchange rate and the fact that prices in ROI Tesco's have came down, most likely as a result of pressure from Aldi and Lidl. Pretty much all fresh meat is cheaper in ROI for example.

The main reason I go over the border is because alcohol is much cheaper there and also there is a much broader selection of products because in ROI people seem fanatical about "BUY IRISH" and as a result of this nonsense there is a lot less choice.

I was looking at one of the Tesco prepacked sandwiches the other day and on the front it had a label proudly claiming "Produced in Ireland" only to read the tiny ingredients at the back to find out the chicken was from Vietnam or Thailand. Talk about deliberately trying to mislead customers. Its another reason why I never trust anything I see at Tesco regarding offers etc, I have to calculate out the specific price per gram or whatever, mainly because they are sneaky bastards with no end of underhand tactics. You can see the label on the top right of the packaging, even here online you see no mention in the ingredients about it coming from Vietnam or Thailand.

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=265285164

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ablelocks

can we move the retail industry discussion elsewhere and stick to the actual point of this thread? I'm getting tired of the off topic posts - a couple of weeks ago it was about Bord Gais payment methods, before that it was couponing. there are other forums and threads for such discussions - most of the people who read this thread are only interested in

actual bargain alerts, in Tesco stores.

Anyway, Sony SRS-X3 Wireless Speaker that was scanning at €70 a couple of weeks ago in Douglas, was marked at €35 (yellow sticker) in the Clonmel store yesterday, but none on the shelf. Might be available in other stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

ablelocks wrote: »
    ...Anyway, Sony SRS-X3 Wireless Speaker that was scanning at €70 a couple of weeks ago in Douglas, was marked at €35 (yellow sticker) in the Clonmel store yesterday, but none on the shelf. Might be available in other stores.
    It's worth asking one of the staff if there are any in the back. Since the tag is still up, they can just scan that and it will indicate if there are more. I got one of these SRS-X3 speakers last week at €35, tag was on shelf but none there, one of the staff said the scanner showed there was at least one in the back so he got it for me.

Very pleased with the speaker. It was originally €140 and first went to €119.71, then €70. I was watching it but figured €70 was too much. Then two weeks ago, I scanned one and oddly it had gone up to about €110! So finally last week it went to €35.11, which is 75% off. This is while the less attractive SRS-X2 is still full price.

No, it was accurate reading of it. The rest was drivel about better prices in the UK and was implying prices in Ireland are a rip off.

Its far from true and I suspect based on zero evidence at all. There are many reasons why things are on offer in the UK and likewise the same applies to offers in ROI. You also have to consider that staff wages are typical;ly higher in ROI than the UK and that has to be included in the cost.

FYI I live near the border and Im always shopping in the North, but find myself doing so less and less when you factor in the exchange rate and the fact that prices in ROI Tesco's have came down, most likely as a result of pressure from Aldi and Lidl. Pretty much all fresh meat is cheaper in ROI for example.

The main reason I go over the border is because alcohol is much cheaper there and also there is a much broader selection of products because in ROI people seem fanatical about "BUY IRISH" and as a result of this nonsense there is a lot less choice.

I was looking at one of the Tesco prepacked sandwiches the other day and on the front it had a label proudly claiming "Produced in Ireland" only to read the tiny ingredients at the back to find out the chicken was from Vietnam or Thailand. Talk about deliberately trying to mislead customers. Its another reason why I never trust anything I see at Tesco regarding offers etc, I have to calculate out the specific price per gram or whatever, mainly because they are sneaky bastards with no end of underhand tactics. You can see the label on the top right of the packaging, even here online you see no mention in the ingredients about it coming from Vietnam or Thailand.

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=265285164

You've proven both my points in your email. I've highlighted those in bold and underlined them for you seeing as you seem to not quite understand how to construct an argument or engage in a debate. I'm actually bother baffled and somewhat amused at how you've managed to score such spectacular own goals and still think you're right. Truly bizarre!

Re. evidence, all you have to do is look online. There are countless articles on this, written by journalists and consumers alike.

Here's very recent one:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/north-and-south-a-tale-of-two-grocery-bills-1.1904989

There are hundreds of these. I encourage you to look at some of them and actually read them rather than just go on your opinion (non-fact based btw).

Or just do a price comparison between the tesco.co.uk sites and the tesco.ie one and whilst you'll see some swings both ways depending on promotional cycles etc., the vast majority of price swings favour the UK shoppers.

My OH is from the North. We're there pretty much every other weekend (at least) for family reasons. I'm actually at the stage where I feel I know UK pricing better than ROI for products.

As for myself, I've worked in FMCG for almost 20 years both in Ireland and the UK so I'm very in tume with Tesco pricing practices across the different jurisdictions.

As for factors like wages in ROI etc., no, you don't have to factor those in. You're comparing a price in one jurisdiction with a price in another. That's pretty much all consumers care about.

But hey, you just go with your opinion.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Will you get back on topic please folks!

leck wrote: »
    It's worth asking one of the staff if there are any in the back. Since the tag is still up, they can just scan that and it will indicate if there are more. I got one of these SRS-X3 speakers last week at €35, tag was on shelf but none there, one of the staff said the scanner showed there was at least one in the back so he got it for me.

didn't have time but to be honest, at this stage I think I have about 10 different bluetooth speakers courtesy of tesco bargains. There's only so many places you can put them.

edit

• Advertisement

ablelocks wrote: »
    didn't have time but to be honest, at this stage I think I have about 10 different bluetooth speakers courtesy of tesco bargains. There's only so many places you can put them.

edit

I was in Tesco in Sligo tonight trying to get this speaker but they didnt have any. There wasnt anything on the shelf to indicate it had been there. I was quite excited about getting on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 iatethepies

I was in Tesco in Sligo tonight trying to get this speaker but they didnt have any. There wasnt anything on the shelf to indicate it had been there. I was quite excited about getting on too.

No stock in Tesco Wilton(Cork). Was really hoping I could pick one up too, seems like great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

No stock in Tesco Wilton(Cork). Was really hoping I could pick one up too, seems like great value.
    Here's a photo of the shelf tag.

try douglas. last time i was there, around the 7th August, there were 2- 3 on the shelf - they were marked at 119 but scanning at 60 at the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

More discontinued lines
    T UHT milk 1l 89c 45c
    T Salad Cream ~50c
    Lyons pyramid teabags 120 €4.49 €2.25
    Some coffees ↓50%
    Some alypro & rice milk ↓50%
    Stuff in the kitchenware dept like peelers, openers, plates ↓50%

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭KathleenF

Dearth Vader voice changing masks down to a tenner in Killarney.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭garbeth

Xbox 360 250GB €99

Tesco Kildare town

Also different colour shorts from 2.95

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

garbeth wrote: »
    Xbox 360 250GB €99

Tesco Kildare town

Would this be national?
    Or Store specific

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Only

garbeth wrote: »
    Xbox 360 250GB €99

Tesco Kildare town

Jesus, little fella looking for an xbox from the man in red - would kill for this! ... Don't suppose anyone has seen them elsewhere?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Only wrote: »
    Jesus, little fella looking for an xbox from the man in red - would kill for this! ... Don't suppose anyone has seen them elsewhere?

Are you sure he's looking for the 360 and not the Xbox One?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement