Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even More Tesco Bargains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

I got those scales last year. I took them back after a day. They gave different results each time I stood on them. BMI and weight seemed to vary ...

No point in getting digital scales if they are not accurate .

Maybe I got a bad set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I got those scales last year. I took them back after a day. They gave different results each time I stood on them. BMI and weight seemed to vary ...

No point in getting digital scales if they are not accurate .

Maybe I got a bad set.
    No, two of my friends have demonstrated their Weight Watchers scales in front of me before and both had wildly varying values each time they were stepped on. They just don't seem good quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭CH3OH

To add a bit of balance...

I just stepped on and off mine 10 times.
    It read the same weight each time
    After the tenth weighing the built in audible message said:
    "no matter how many times you step on and off, you're still a fat bastar#d"

OK the last bit is untrue, but the scales seem accurate and reproducible

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

CH3OH wrote: »
    To add a bit of balance...

I just stepped on and off mine 10 times.
    It read the same weight each time
    After the tenth weighing the built in audible message said:
    "no matter how many times you step on and off, you're still a fat bastar#d"

OK the last bit is untrue, but the scales seem accurate and reproducible

Move it to a different room in another part of your house- and try it there. Does it replicate the result from room 1. Then move it back to room 1 again- does it continue to advise the same weight it originally suggested?

We've had 3 of these here- my wife says they are consistent- however, I've yet to get the same weight twice for me or either of the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

So how do you Tesco Bargain experts check the price without having to carry the item to the till ? Can you do a sneaky like photographing the bar code & scanning the pic ?

For example I saw a combination microwave, like the one posted earlier. The shelf was marked with the full price so how do I find out if it will scan lower without carrying the box to the checkout ?

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »
    So how do you Tesco Bargain experts check the price without having to carry the item to the till ? Can you do a sneaky like photographing the bar code & scanning the pic ?

For example I saw a combination microwave, like the one posted earlier. The shelf was marked with the full price so how do I find out if it will scan lower without carrying the box to the checkout ?

Most stores have a customer scanner to check prices somewhere in the store. Ask at the customer service desk where it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

RossieMan wrote: »
    It looks the same, but its got a different product number.
    Do you mean different product number (8933u vs something else)? or different UPC code?

In the past I've found bargains where identical products have different UPC codes with slightly different packaging and the older ones go on clearance - e.g., red wine glasses, Belkin chargers/cables. Sometimes the store applies a new sticker on top of the UPC code, and sometimes they miss a few items or a store misses them completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

8' trampolines have been going for €99.99 for a couple of weeks now, I gave into the kids today and got one. Used a €10 off voucher from aldi to bring it down to €89.99 which is 20% less than Smyths this weekend even with their 20% off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Move it to a different room in another part of your house- and try it there. Does it replicate the result from room 1. Then move it back to room 1 again- does it continue to advise the same weight it originally suggested?

We've had 3 of these here- my wife says they are consistent- however, I've yet to get the same weight twice for me or either of the kids.

Scales rely on balance to give the weight, if you move them from one place to another the level of the floor is unlikely to be the same, particularly if you move, say from a wood floor to a carpeted or linoleum surface. This will be more noticeable on digital scales, even if you move them from one part of the same room to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Are the 3.50 sandwich meal deals good quality?

• Advertisement

Techmaster wrote: »

The sandwiches are pretty tasteless and lacking in fillings.
    Its reasonable enough- if you're in a fix- but you're better off just buying a loaf of bread, some butter- and some fresh soup- its not massively different in price- but definitely more worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Picked up a case of bottles for 6 euro in Artane tesco the other day

Bottles of what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Bottles of what?

Ah you know, bottles and all that jazz

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Haven't seen the raspberry one in ages, apple and cherry is disgusting, did get a couple of exotic tonight though and Tanora too.

Techmaster wrote:

I only like one of the sambo choices, chicken, lettuce and bacon. Its pretty tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

I thought the apple and cherry was lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

D Trent wrote: »
    Ah you know, bottles and all that jazz

Cool. See any in Naas?

Is the double the difference policy gone? I was just overcharged and they only gave me back the exact overcharged amount. I queried it with her and she said it was gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Is the double the difference policy gone? I was just overcharged and they only gave me back the exact overcharged amount. I queried it with her and she said it was gone.

Was that the Lucan store? They are usually bad with offers, overcharging generally and then refunding according to Tesco policy, if the well known policy had changed I would say it would be mentioned here. I guess double the difference not being honoured is to hide the error better, in Lucan I consider it is de facto local store policy not in line with what is meant to exist.

Apparently- all 'double the difference' refunds have to be cleared by the store manager now- customer service staff are not authorised to offer or process them. If the customer advises of an overcharge- they are to be offered a refund of the amount they were overcharged by- no more. If they persist and request a double the difference- the customer service staff member- has to put a call out for a duty manager- and only on their express say-so, are they allowed process double the difference.

I'm guessing between the competitor coupons- and the double the difference on misprices- Tesco were getting fleeced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

Double the difference is still in operation in Tesco stores. Just look for the large blue "our promise" signs in store - usually located in customer service area and near the tills. The section about double the difference is at the bottom of the sign. It does not apply if you used the self-serve check outs though.
    Tesco Ireland facebook page is always being asked if double the difference is still in operation and the the answer is always Yes.
    Apparently- all 'double the difference' refunds have to be cleared by the store manager now- customer service staff are not authorised to offer or process them. If the customer advises of an overcharge- they are to be offered a refund of the amount they were overcharged by- no more. If they persist and request a double the difference- the customer service staff member- has to put a call out for a duty manager- and only on their express say-so, are they allowed process double the difference.

I'm guessing between the competitor coupons- and the double the difference on misprices- Tesco were getting fleeced.

In all my years of shopping in Tesco any time i have been overcharged a manager has been called to CS to OK the refund.

• Advertisement

chasm wrote: »
    In all my years of shopping in Tesco any time i have been overcharged a manager has been called to CS to OK the refund.

The customer service staff have for a considerable length of time- been able to process the double the difference claims themselves. Its only of late- that a duty manager has to clear them. In large stores (Naas/Maynooth etc) calling and waiting for a duty manager- is an incredibly onerous addition to processing the claim- and can result in a customer hanging around for 5-10 minutes- often while there is a queue forming behind them.........

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

Was over charged yesterday in new tesco dundalk, customer services called duty manager. Gave up waiting on him and gave me double the difference and keep the item. She just went down to confirm the price was all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

It's been ages since they operated that "policy" in my local Tesco store. Tbh, I am so fed up with their mispricing of products-next time I am overcharged I am going to ask to speak to a manager to register my disapproval.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

My 12 (double the difference) and 21 (downward misprice + coupon) euro bottles of Johnny Walker Black from various incidents attest to that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

Tesco maynooth have the baby beach/wet suits reduced

Nemo one was €15 only €4.50.... Woody and Superman ones down to €3.25 from €13

Decent few left but largest size is around 12 months. My little guy loves swimming in the wetsuit so for less than €11 he has 3 to last the year :)

Yeah I contacted them on FB and its still in operation. Went back and got my full, proper refund. The same girl was there, and just handed it to me. No manager was called.

After messaging Tesco on Facebook, they apologized for the misinformation and gave me a €10 voucher, without me even requesting any form of compensation. Very impressive online customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

This was my experience of double the difference last Wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

gaiscioch wrote: »
    This was my experience of double the difference last Wednesday.

And the moral of this story?

No don't mind your checking receipts

Always check how old a thread is. 😂

Always

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭brian_t

chasm wrote: »
    The section about double the difference is at the bottom of the sign. It does not apply if you used the self-serve check outs though.

Nothing on the sign indicates that.
    D Trent wrote: »
    And the moral of this story?

Always check how old a thread is.
    Thread might be old but it's still relevant.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement