Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loaded sub machine gun found on street.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I'd say there's a bit of spin going on now.

Or as we'd say in the DF 'ball hop' :D

Or as laypeople say “ball ox”. The boot popped, they saw it pop, but by the time they stopped the gun was gone?? Story seems very implausible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

TheChizler wrote: »
    If it was this kind of bag it's understandable how the bag would be loose in the boot:
    604024c-5020e2f2a5c59.jpg

Apparently the Gardaí in the car saw it happen but by the time they got there someone had picked it up and disappeared. How someone could make it away that fast with something like that I don't know...

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0711/977864-gardai-gun/
    Chewbacca wrote: »
    So, let me get this right.

1. The AGS vehicle went over a speed bump.
    2. The boot opened (faulty or wasnt closed properly).
    3. The weapon fell out.
    4. AGS members seen it happen but didnt react.
    5. Went back but it was gone.

Is that right, am I missing something? I''m not sure I believe the story.

If they were "in traffic", it suggests they did not hit the ramp at speed. If they did not hit the ramp at speed, the boot lock must be faulty.

They saw it happen but had to wait to pull over? Doesnt make sense. You are the AGS....stop the car...in traffic...and get out straight away and retrieve the bag.

If you see a weapon or a bag which contains weapons fall out of a car...it's your first and only priority to get it back straight away.

Jaysis.

It's worst excuse going...

We're not being told something.

First off, those Cars that the ARU use are Estates or SUV's
    If the boot opened you'd notice immediately.

2nd, boots don't just open over speed bumps.

3rd, the weapons are supposed to be secured in the boot (strapped down)

4th, the weapon fell out of the boot and the Garda stopped to late and by the time they go back the weapon was gone?
    How did the person who picked up the bag so quickly realise that there was a weapon in it. Why did the Garda not stop when the boot opened, knowing there was weapons in the boot?.

5th, nothing else bar a loaded gun fell out of the boot? They carry a lot of kit in them cars.

Story stinks....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Hmm, a believable story. I fell out of a Zetor going over a bank in the bog once, and I was the one driving it. Nobody handed me in to Store St. though.

Did the Zetor just keep motoring off into the sunset or did you manage to catch up to it again ?

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

There was an incident in Drogheda a few years ago where a detective left his weapon in a bar toilet after going in for a dump.
    One of the locals went in a short time later and found it then proceeded to blast the ceiling out of it with the gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭SnazzyPig

MarkY91 wrote: »
    How can this happen? Is there a more pathetic police force than ours in the western world? I doubt it.

Maybe just beaten by these guys-

honor-grd-resize.jpg&width=700&height=300&constrain=false&pad=true&bgcolor=111111

Maybe...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,555 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Is anyone buying that it fell out of the boot, !!!
    Sounds like an excuse the lads came up with to make the Garda not seem so stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

I've read 2 articles about this SMG handed in this morning and the most worrying thing to me is that it seems the Gardai were not aware it was even missing.

"Sources within the Gardaí told RTÉ that officers in the car saw it happening and a passer-by pick it up. However, that person had left with the bag and gun by the time the officers had pulled over."

Seems remarkable that someone could have disappeared carrying a heavy bag before the gardai had managed to park the car and run back a few yards. But maybe they had to find a parking meter and buy a ticket first!

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Its bullshlt.

If they noticed the boot was open they would have hit the blue lights and stopped in the road.

Sounds like they drove on for a while. Lucky it wasn't someone connected to the gangs or someone looking to make a few quid with them.

Squatter wrote: »
    "Sources within the Gardaí told RTÉ that officers in the car saw it happening and a passer-by pick it up. However, that person had left with the bag and gun by the time the officers had pulled over."

Seems remarkable that someone could have disappeared carrying a heavy bag before the gardai had managed to park the car and run back a few yards. But maybe they had to find a parking meter and buy a ticket first!

Jeez the Guards aren't even good at telling lies anymore..and that was the one area they used to always excel in.
    Force is really going downhill these days :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Is anyone buying that it fell out of the boot, !!!
    Sounds like an excuse the lads came up with to make the Garda not seem so stupid

Sound like something straight out of a script for an episode of Father Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The story is full of holes, why didn't the woman drop it into Harcourt square rather than travelling across the city on the luas to store street. I'd say her original intentions weren't honest and when she discovered what was in it she panicked and handed it in. The guards in the car seen her pick it up but possibly didn't realise that she was picking up something that had fallen from their car.

Either way its not as clear cut as previously reported where it was suggested that a loaded weapon was found on the street by a passer by and handed into Gardaí.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭mattser

archer22 wrote: »
    Well Callinan and O'Sullivan lost all their phones and laptops so you can hardly be surprised by the apes further down the line losing their guns...only a question of time before you see one of them on duty in his boxers after losing his pants somewhere.

Penalty points racking up, are they ?

mattser wrote: »
    Penalty points racking up, are they ?

Don't drive at all Guard so won't be needing you to delete them :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

From memory a guy in the UK got convicted recently after handing in a gun found at a house at a local station.

https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/local-news/mans-suspended-jail-term-handing-4821724

Something seems slightly strange about this story.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

archer22 wrote: »
    only a question of time before you see one of them on duty in his boxers after losing his pants somewhere.

Well...

Garda arrested prostitute, and later he went back and had sex with her

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/garda-arrested-prostitute-and-later-he-went-back-and-had-sex-with-her-31369850.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Clearly this is a very embarrassing lapse and somebody will pay in career terms for it but would people please give over the 'only in Ireland' ****. Half the worldwide illicit arms industry is 'mislaid' weapons. The other half is 'decommissioned' weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Reminds me of an old army story I once heard. Soldiers on maneuvers lost a gun. So they tell their commanding officer they lost five guns. He promptly goes nuts. They go back to him later to say they found four but one was still missing. Not so bad then!
    It happened in Fort Dunree. The gun was lost on the hill at the fort during an exercise. Army Headquarters were told there were 5 weapons missing. Then they were told that 4 had been recovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Feck it that would have been a nice find for my collection. Scalded I missed out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Found in north inner city Dublin.

A member of the public handed it into a Garda Station.

It was a Garda gun.

Ooops.

original.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Suppose they'll blame Maurice for this aswell

I hope he has video evidence for where every was at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭mattser

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Clearly this is a very embarrassing lapse and somebody will pay in career terms for it but would people please give over the 'only in Ireland' ****. Half the worldwide illicit arms industry is 'mislaid' weapons. The other half is 'decommissioned' weapons.

Increasingly snowflake society

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

grahambo wrote: »
    It's worst excuse going...

We're not being told something.

First off, those Cars that the ARU use are Estates or SUV's
    If the boot opened you'd notice immediately.

2nd, boots don't just open over speed bumps.

3rd, the weapons are supposed to be secured in the boot (strapped down)

4th, the weapon fell out of the boot and the Garda stopped to late and by the time they go back the weapon was gone?
    How did the person who picked up the bag so quickly realise that there was a weapon in it. Why did the Garda not stop when the boot opened, knowing there was weapons in the boot?.

5th, nothing else bar a loaded gun fell out of the boot? They carry a lot of kit in them cars.

Story stinks....

Something seriously amiss alright. Was there not a second or third Guard in the car who could have hopped out and grabbed the bag before the passer by grabbed it?

Even if there was only one Guard in the car, could he/she not just have put the blues on, whilst they hopped out and grabbed the bag.

So boot unsecured, weapon bag unsecured, weapon bag lifted before guard could recover.

Great start for the new commissioner.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Some FF-gene-pool randomer from the city council on the News at One, giving a bizarre "nothing to see here, guards are wonderful, someone with very posh shoulder-furniture always takes my calls" performance.

(OK, technically he's the mayor, but I hardly want to encourage him.)

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Great start for the new commissioner.

He starts in September, so technically it's another item for the great teetering pile of "legacy issues".

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Correct about the PSNI. I served in the military my sidearm ( when I was armed ) was always attached to a lanyard.

You can bet your bottom dollar the PSNI would have this procedure down to a tee

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

alaimacerc wrote: »
    He starts in September, so technically it's another item for the great teetering pile of "legacy issues".

Probably wondering what the fcuk he has got him self into.

What would happen to soldier if he lost a weapon ?

In the Defence Forces, I don't know. In the US Army, doing some google-grade research, this seems to be a "summarily demoted or fired" thing.

I'm guess the GRA will be out soon to say it's a disgrace that there might have been a faulty boot. New cars all round! More pay increases, too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Shooting unarmed people to this. I've being vocal about how thick are Gardai are and got shot down in here.

Whoever was in this car should be fired straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

RasTa wrote: »

Whoever was in this car should be fired straight away.

Why, because you've been vocal and called them thick's here?.

You don't know if that member was a superb guard and team member before this incident.

You've no idea what acts of bravery, commitment and service they've given to the country before yesterday.

And although I find it difficult to swallow the story about the boot opening and a weapons bag falling out, it may have happened just like that (although I doubt it too).

One things for sure, I bet it never happens again and the member will never live it down.

Advertisement