Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loaded sub machine gun found on street.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I've read 2 articles about this SMG handed in this morning and the most worrying thing to me is that it seems the Gardai were not aware it was even missing.

Not aware me hole. Surely they do regular reconciliations of their weapons cache and there is procedure around this?? You would think they are counted everyday at end of shift by those responsible. Also I thought there was specially built cabinets in the boots of the Q7s to store the weapons? Falling out going over a ramp doesn't wash.

Then again its the gardai who cannot count.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭crashplan

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    I doubt that person will still be a member of the ERU at the end of the month.

I would suggest the person will be guarding unwanted puddles by the end of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

mattser wrote: »
    Right so. Don't bother your bollox calling them at 3am when you have a burglar. Fire the keyboard at him.
    Or move somewhere else in Western Europe.

While I agree with this it doesn't mean they will get to you in time. My sister was followed home from a nightclub when she was 23 or 24. This was about 10 years ago. She rang the gardaí on the way as she realized she was being follwed. Ended up having to hold the door closed as he tried to force his way in. Me my brother in law and younger brother were woken up by the sounds and ran the guy from the estate. The garda showed up 2 hours later and we lived in Dublin at the time so its not like the station was far. I could walk to it from the house in about 25 mins.

Ringing them will not stop whatever is happening at the time so throwing a keyboard at them will probably be more useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Being in a stressful situation can make you do stupid things and I would say carrying a loaded gun around Dublin along with the massive protocols that go with it is stressful.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

TheChizler wrote: »
    Apparently the Gardaí in the car saw it happen but by the time they got there someone had picked it up and disappeared. How someone could make it away that fast with something like that I don't know...
    Hmm. Could be a bit of damage-limiting spin.

There would be more than one Garda in the car. If they saw it happen, they wouldn't have waited to pull over before jumping out to get it.

Though I wonder if the guy who picked it up thought it was just luggage, so he grabbed it to see what booty was inside and when he realised what it was decided the best thing was to hand it into the station. It took 25 minutes to get it to Store Street; most places in the North Inner city are no more than 10 minutes from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

There is no way I would walk into a Garda Station with an assault rifle. I assume it was in the bag and he didn't walk in with it strapped around his neck, Rambo style, taking selfies with the desk Sergeant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Is this Herc and Carver in an Irish setting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

mariaalice wrote: »
    Being in a stressful situation can make you do stupid things and I would say carrying a loaded gun around Dublin along with the massive protocols that go with it is stressful.

Its no more stressful than making sure you have your weapon with you at all times.. ie, not all that stressful at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

seamus wrote:
    There would be more than one Garda in the car. If they saw it happen, they wouldn't have waited to pull over before jumping out to get it.

The guards claim the boot opened after going over a ramp in the city centre according to RTE News. What speed would you need to be doing to cause a boot to pop open and a gun weighing nearly 5 pounds to bounce out?. I think someone may be suffering some dizziness.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

mattser wrote:
    Right so. Don't bother your bollox calling them at 3am when you have a burglar. Fire the keyboard at him. Or move somewhere else in Western Europe.

In fairness a mate of mine rang them one night when 2 lads were trying to enter his property.... they were trying to enter for nearly half an hour before disappearing....
    it was another half hour after that when the gardai arrived.
    He didn't have a keyboard.
    mariaalice wrote:

this is why the training is so regimental around firearms. so you become used to following procedures that they become 2nd nature. check check and double check your checks.
    I can't imagine the garda in question will go in and say it was stressful carrying around a firearm in the hope that disciplinary action will be eased or they will get a pat on the back saying "ah sure it's grand.... we all do it".
    Imagine sending out all our gardai with guns thinking they are stressed and might do something stupid!
    I think up north the PSNI firearms are actually attached to their bodies with a lanyard. I wonder why it's not the same here?

• Advertisement

The guards claim the boot opened after going over a ramp in the city centre according to RTE News. What speed would you need to be doing to cause a boot to pop open and a gun weighing nearly 5 pounds to bounce out?. I think someone may be suffering some dizziness.

Well the locking mechanism on the boot may have been faulty.

When the DF used Land Rovers (with an open back) equipment would be bounced out often enough, heavy equipment too.

Beats me why the weapon isn't carried. Even if I'm driving and I'm armed my rifle will be beside me or safely handed over to someone beside me. I'd never leave it in the back if I've signed for it.

idnkph wrote:
    I think up north the PSNI firearms are actually attached to their bodies with a lanyard. I wonder why it's not the same here?

Correct about the PSNI. I served in the military my sidearm ( when I was armed ) was always attached to a lanyard.

Well the locking mechanism on the boot may have been faulty.

Still comes down to speed, despite one of the guards claiming to have seen it happen but the gun had been picked up before they got back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Surely an Audi Q7 has a built in feature or sound to tell you the boot is open.

In all my driving career I have never had or seen a boot fly open while driving and items come flying out.

Story is just most bizzare.

When the DF used Land Rovers (with an open back) equipment would be bounced out often enough, heavy equipment too.

Spent many a journey in the back of a Landy not fun if the driver had a lead foot and the roads (which they usually were) are crap.

Still comes down to speed, despite one of the guards claiming to have seen it happen but the gun had been picked up before they got back.

I'd say there's a bit of spin going on now.

Or as we'd say in the DF 'ball hop' :D

Spent many a journey in the back of a Landy not fun if the driver had a lead foot and the roads (which they usually were) are crap.

Yup, I knew a guy who was bounced out of an old 109 lol (true story).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

Feisar wrote: »
    I'm a law abiding citizen but not a hope I'd hand in a random gun I found. Fair enough if it looked like some lad's shotgun but a Heckler and Koch? Not a hope. Sorry!

F.all good it would do you with only 1 clip, unless you could get more amo you would be better off with the shotgun.

idnkph wrote: »
    In fairness a mate of mine rang them one night when 2 lads were trying to enter his property.... they were trying to enter for nearly half an hour before disappearing....
    it was another half hour after that when the gardai arrived.
    He didn't have a keyboard.

this is why the training is so regimental around firearms. so you become used to following procedures that they become 2nd nature. check check and double check your checks.
    I can't imagine the garda in question will go in and say it was stressful carrying around a firearm in the hope that disciplinary action will be eased or they will get a pat on the back saying "ah sure it's grand.... we all do it".
    Imagine sending out all our gardai with guns thinking they are stressed and might do something stupid!

My point is some people are better at some aspect of their job than others, stress is not an excuse if the person experiences the protocols as a burden then they are not suited to a job, carrying a gun in public means they have be 100% perfect and accountable all day every day.

You would have to have an...ours is not to reason why but do or die type personality.

Yup, I knew a guy who was bounced out of an old 109 lol (true story).

All part of the fun, they weren't built for comfort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

The finder should have flicked off the safety catch and sprayed the Garda barracks with it while shouting
    "hey lads look what I found" :cool:

At this rate, heaven forfend that we should have armed every Garda in the state like every rightwing idiot would want.

Kevin O'Higgins might not have done much good, but an unarmed AGS to replace the armed RIC was definitely a progressive and enlightened step.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Beats me why the weapon isn't carried. Even if I'm driving and I'm armed my rifle will be beside me or safely handed over to someone beside me. I'd never leave it in the back if I've signed for it.
    Depends on the unit I guess. Most of them will be called to situations that don't need them to leap out of the vehicle under fire; there's plenty of time to get out and stock up from the boot.
    I'd be surprised if they're not already carrying a pistol.

I would say there was an element of complacency in it as well and thats why they should be disciplined there is no room for complacency.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Well Callinan and O'Sullivan lost all their phones and laptops so you can hardly be surprised by the apes further down the line losing their guns...only a question of time before you see one of them on duty in his boxers after losing his pants somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

soups05 wrote: »
    just a thought, what would have happened the good citizen if he got stopped on the way to the station with a gun in his hand?

cops could mistakenly think he stole it or it was an illegal gun, showdown time. I would have rung 999 rather than pick it up.

(unless i could get it home safely then its purge time :) )

From memory a guy in the UK got convicted recently after handing in a gun found at a house at a local station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

mattser wrote: »
    Right so. Don't bother your bollox calling them at 3am when you have a burglar. Fire the keyboard at him.
    Or move somewhere else in Western Europe.

Call them at 3am with a burglar and they’ll likely land out at around 1pm, from my experience anyway. Only time I’d call them now is if I needed a report for the insurance. Waste of phone credit otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Call them at 3am with a burglar and they’ll likely land out at around 1pm, from my experience anyway.

I find that if you tell them that there's a body, they'll come over right away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Hmm, a believable story. I fell out of a Zetor going over a bank in the bog once, and I was the one driving it. Nobody handed me in to Store St. though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Nobody handed me in to Store St. though.

Saint John of God's maybe? :D

Advertisement