Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loaded sub machine gun found on street.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I think it's lovely that some upstanding member of the public would hand it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

Im wondering how exactly did it get into the news?

Did the Gardai issue a press release about the happy return of their lost firearm or did the finder phone a journalist to tell them about their excitement about finding it and their sense of civic pride in returning it?

Reminds me of an old army story I once heard. Soldiers on maneuvers lost a gun. So they tell their commanding officer they lost five guns. He promptly goes nuts. They go back to him later to say they found four but one was still missing. Not so bad then!

So they found four that weren't missing at all ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭enricoh

I'm wonder is the cop is suffering from post traumatic stress disorder after the trauma of this? Surely worth a try, with a sympathetic judge in tow there could be a handy 50k out of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

So they found four that weren't missing at all ?

thatsthejoke.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 fuzzyduck4

dense wrote: »

Did the Gardai issue a press release about the happy return of their lost firearm or did the finder phone a journalist to tell them about their excitement about finding it and their sense of civic pride in returning it?
    Mustve been a member of the public that reported this. Some poor copper will be getting some strong words in a meeting this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 fuzzyduck4

Mustve been a member of the public that reported this. Some poor copper will be getting some strong words in a meeting this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

mattser wrote: »
    Right so. Don't bother your bollox calling them at 3am when you have a burglar. Fire the keyboard at him.
    Or move somewhere else in Western Europe.

I think most people burgled would largely be in agreement with you really

thatsthejoke.jpg

Corners , you thick.

Whooosh.

For the record , I'm not a Garda and the guns not mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

blackbox wrote: »
    Imagine what could happen in a country where everyone was allowed to carry guns.

Apparently things like this happen all the time in Israel, where all non-Arab citizens MUST serve in the armed forces and all able-bodied males are required to do so for at least a month every year.

In any public place you are bound to see a lot of armed soldiers, not necessarily on duty, just in service and toting their weapons with them. Also likely to find yourself sitting next to one on a bus or train.

This I have seen; what I haven't seen personally but have been told often happens is that soldiers leave the bus leaving their gun on the seat behind them. You know. like we do with our umbrellas. Even though, strictly speaking, you can be jailed for failing to account for your service weapon.

I would love to see it some day. "Sir! Your Uzi! Don't forget it."
    Soldier slaps head "Doh! Silly me. Thanks for that. Bye"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

They're lucky I didn't find it

YOU'LL NEVER TAKE ME ALIVE COPPERS

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    This is probably one reason why Guards are not routinely armed here. I wonder if guns are usually left down by cops in Dunkin Dounuts in the U.S, or by European Cops in the French or Spanish equivalent.
    Yes. It's a surprisingly common occurrence.

See that video a few weeks back where an FBI agent was doing some drunken breakdancing, dropped his gun and then shot someone in the leg in his scramble to pick it back up.

This incident will actually be taken seriously. The Gardai really don't fcnk around when it comes to weapons. The guy who lost it will need a very strong explanation to be allowed back onto an armed unit again.

The main implication here not being, "what if a criminal had found it", but rather "what if a child had found it".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I doubt it was left on the ground for long. It was probably down beside one of the cars or in the process of being loaded into a car.
    Afaik in the states , uk and europe the guns are attached to their belts with a cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Speaking as someone who's regularly armed you've to constantly bare in mind where your weapon is, constantly. I know I'd even check the serial number of my weapon a number of times during the course of a duty to make sure I've got my own weapon.

I can't imagine the Guards weapon was missing too long before the member noticed it, and likely shat himself.

I can not imagine losing my weapon, even the thought of it freaks me out.

And as bad as it is for the Guard today and least there's some relief for him/her that the weapon has been handed in and its safe.

Either way the member is in a world of sh*t this morning, and will be for awhile yet.

Thing is, its not even that difficult for an untrained person to charge and discharge a gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,596 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I can't believe I missed out on a free sub machine gun :(

Speaking as someone who's regularly armed you've to constantly bare in mind where your weapon is, constantly. I know I'd even check the serial number of my weapon a number of times during the course of a duty to make sure I've got my own weapon.

I can't imagine the Guards weapon was missing too long before the member noticed it, and likely shat himself.

I can not imagine losing my weapon, even the thought of it freaks me out.

And as bad as it is for the Guard today and least there's some relief for him/her that the weapon has been handed in and its safe.

Either way the member is in a world of sh*t this morning, and will be for awhile yet.

Thing is, its not even that difficult for an untrained person to charge and discharge a gun.

What would happen to soldier if he lost a weapon ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

fuzzyduck4 wrote: »
    Mustve been a member of the public that reported this.

I suppose it must have, but I'd like to know the motivation behind reporting it to or sharing it with the media....

Unless AGS felt that they'd better say it for fear of the finder going to the press first and making them look as if they were trying to keep it quiet.

Not saying it should not be publicised, but haven't heard the finder being quoted about their disgust/shock/delight about their find!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

just a thought, what would have happened the good citizen if he got stopped on the way to the station with a gun in his hand?

cops could mistakenly think he stole it or it was an illegal gun, showdown time. I would have rung 999 rather than pick it up.

(unless i could get it home safely then its purge time :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It fell out of the boot of Audi Q7 going over a ramp.
    In it's bag and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

I doubt that person will still be a member of the ERU at the end of the month.

• Advertisement

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    I doubt that person will still be a member of the ERU at the end of the month.

They will, the boot opened, it fell out.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

seamus wrote: »
    Yes. It's a surprisingly common occurrence.

See that video a few weeks back where an FBI agent was doing some drunken breakdancing, dropped his gun and then shot someone in the leg in his scramble to pick it back up.

This incident will actually be taken seriously. The Gardai really don't fcnk around when it comes to weapons. The guy who lost it will need a very strong explanation to be allowed back onto an armed unit again.

The main implication here not being, "what if a criminal had found it", but rather "what if a child had found it".

I heard about that incident my self. Not saying it was okay that he accidently shot someone, but he didn't lose the gun, and risk it falling into wrong hands. Accidental discharges, probably happen more often than we think as well.

As for what if a criminal found it, what interest would they have it. They probably have more, and better ones than the Guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I suppose it must have, but I'd like to know the motivation behind reporting it to or sharing it with the media....
    Plenty of Gardai around who love getting a kick out of being a leak to the press. Chances are a Garda heard about it on the grapevine and texted the info to a journalist who then contacted the Gardai for an official statement.
    soups05 wrote: »
    cops could mistakenly think he stole it or it was an illegal gun, showdown time. I would have rung 999 rather than pick it up.
    In Ireland? At worst a Garda would have stopped him and told him to put the weapon on the ground. This isn't the trigger happy US where you'll be surrounded by 20 armed cops, 30 seconds after the phone call was made.

Someone else mentions it fell from a boot, so it was probably in a bag, making it a good deal easier to carry silently. I expect the person rang ahead to let them know, rather than walking into a Garda station with a loaded weapon :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

The guns aren't just thrown in the boot.....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

This. I thought when not in use, they were in a locked cabinent, in a locked boot.

They can be when in a carry bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

I would have presumed that these firearms would have to properly secured in an almost fixed case in the boot of the car on patrol or en route? I've seen they way the American cops have their weapons fixed in a semi-customized hold in their car boots. Just thought it would be same here

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Did nobody notice the boot opened or if they did, did they not notice the black bag on he ground?
    Obviously they are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

What would happen to soldier if he lost a weapon ?

I honestly don't know.

Losing your own personal weapon like that, sh*t that thought even scares me.

Its negligence and not criminal, its been handed back in (little comfort but its some). So I'd imagine severe disciplinary action and punishment. Since its not criminal I doubt a soldier or a garda would lose their job, but I bet this morning that guard is thinking 'fook I'm going to lose my job over this'.

They probably won't be armed anymore, or depending on how the unit is fixed for personnel strength they'll be away from firearms for awhile (could be further training, but thats a guess).

Seriously the thoughts of it happening to me gives me butterflies in my tummy lol

Quick edit... From RTE;
    A loaded sub-machine gun fell out of an emergency response unit car after it went over a ramp and the boot opened.

An entirely different matter now.

The storage in their car's will have to be looked at now.

It seems a little silly to me that their weapons are carried like that. I'd ALWAYS want mine to hand, but just to use it quickly but I've signed for it, and I'm not letting it out of my sight for a minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

cd07 wrote: »
    I would have presumed that these firearms would have to properly secured in an almost fixed case in the boot of the car on patrol or en route? I've seen they way the American cops have their weapons fixed in a semi-customized hold in their car boots. Just thought it would be same here
    If it was this kind of bag it's understandable how the bag would be loose in the boot:
    604024c-5020e2f2a5c59.jpg

Apparently the Gardaí in the car saw it happen but by the time they got there someone had picked it up and disappeared. How someone could make it away that fast with something like that I don't know...

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0711/977864-gardai-gun/

Advertisement