Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most annoying things abut supermarkets

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

F*cking mouth breathers getting too close to you. Me and the wife were in the fruit and veg section of Lidl picking up a few bits and a woman came up and stood so close to us that she was actually touching us, no mask obviously, we had been at that part of the aisle for a maximum of 10 seconds. We both just looked at her and i ask "are you serious?" to which she says "ah sorry". True story.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Another bugbear for me is being stuck behind someone who has just unloaded a trolley full of items on the belt and they are just standing there looking at the cashier for the final minute as the items are scanned over to the bagging area. Then the cashier says "Thats 78euros please" and only THEN does the retard in front of you decide to slowly open their bag or wallet and start fumbling around for their credit card to pay, as of they were surprised by this turn of events. Imagine having to pay for your groceries.

Have your card or wallet ready when they tell you the final amount, idiots. :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

So we should unload the trolley at the till, load the trolley after the till, unload the trolley at bench, to load the packed bags in the trolley?

Quite a few redundant steps there.

Fine if your packing bags quickly but not all this I need to categorise my shopping bags BS.

People say it saves time when you get home but wasting time in the shop to save time at home is redundant too

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The bottle of milk you only realise is leaking when you put it on the till. Got hit 3 weeks in a row by this recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Nowadays it's idiots who think they're better than you because they are wearing a mask.

I laugh at them when they look at me or anyone else.

There's hundreds of reasons as to why someone isn't wearing a mask, be it health condition, breathing irregularity, or many other factors

If anyone ever says it to me I won't be long about putting them back in their box! Close minded fools.

And in regards to packing at Aldi, I always pack my bags in full at the checkout. Most of the time I am faster than the cashier :V the Aldi Challenge I like to call it each time...

It's only annoying if the customer is a slowcoach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Nowadays it's idiots who think they're better than you because they are wearing a mask.

I laugh at them when they look at me or anyone else.

There's hundreds of reasons as to why someone isn't wearing a mask, be it health condition, breathing irregularity, or many other factors

If anyone ever says it to me I won't be long about putting them back in their box! Close minded fools.

As long as you don't buy up all the tinfoil, you do you fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

People who make Aldi/Tesco a family day out ????

Mummy, Daddy and little Oisin and Rory out in the supermarket for the day. The little annoying shxtebags running around the aisles nearly knocking into people

Why can't mum/dad stay in the car with the kids? seriously like

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

In my supermarket:
    the mixed beans and the baked beans are in different aisles
    the salted caramel yogurt is about ten yards from the rest of the yogurts

It is bad enough when they move everything about every few months, but similar products in different areas! Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Fine if your packing bags quickly but not all this I need to categorise my shopping bags BS.

People say it saves time when you get home but wasting time in the shop to save time at home is redundant too

Keep a plastic crate in the boot of the car, no need for bags

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Another bugbear for me is being stuck behind someone who has just unloaded a trolley full of items on the belt and they are just standing there looking at the cashier for the final minute as the items are scanned over to the bagging area. Then the cashier says "Thats 78euros please" and only THEN does the retard in front of you decide to slowly open their bag or wallet and start fumbling around for their credit card to pay, as of they were surprised by this turn of events. Imagine having to pay for your groceries.

Have your card or wallet ready when they tell you the final amount, idiots. :mad::mad::mad:

why use the word retard ? Seriously i just don't get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Some store managers on a power trip giving out to staff on the floor in front of customers. It's ok to give directions to staff but reprimanding them on the shop floor is not professional and looks terrible. I've seen it at one of the more established stores on a couple of occasions.

why use the word retard ? Seriously i just don't get it.

Thats what they are. Are you perpetually offended by everything? Pity about you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Thats what they are. Are you perpetually offended by everything? Pity about you.

No, my vocabulary just exceeds referencing the most needy of society in order to try humiliate someone.Pity about you.

No, my vocabulary just exceeds referencing the most needy of society in order to try humiliate someone.Pity about you.

:D:D:D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Some store managers on a power trip giving out to staff on the floor in front of customers. It's ok to give directions to staff but reprimanding them on the shop floor is not professional and looks terrible. I've seen it at one of the more established stores on a couple of occasions.

I agree. It's something I hate to see/ hear.

I was in a shop one day and a staff member apparently had been a few minutes late coming in. The manager tore a strip off them, on the shop floor. I felt so sorry for the staff member.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Have never seen it happen in Aldi or Lidl but have seen managers tear strips off staff in Dunnes on a few occasions. Dunnes managers seem to be special kinds of bolloxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

scudzilla wrote: »
    Most annoying thing about supermarkets for me is those little barstard kids trollies, ya know the type, mammy wandering around everywhere and her 3 little angles each have one of these ankle slammers and are running riot.

These contraptions led me to one of the most embarrassing moments for me in recent times, went into our local Supervalu and there's a largish foyer, to the right is way in, to the left is people coming out, so i go in with wit my wife and i'm pushing the trolley, stadning right in the doorway is a little kid, maybe 5/6 years old with one of these trolleys, not budging, his dad just standing 5ft inside the doorway looking at him smiling.

After 30 seconds of this kid not budging and a few people starting to queue behind me i shout out "Ah come on, will ya get out of the way""""

He turns around and looks at me with his little down syndrome head :(:(:(

The mutterings from ladies behind me, the second he turned around my wife legged it, found her by the bread breaking her shite laughing

In fairness, the Dad there is an idiot. The kid having Down Syndrome is immaterial.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Middle aged couples or more usually elderly mother and middle aged daughter having full blown detailed conversations about the items they are buying. Loud enough for the whole store to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Women who spend an eternity rifling through their purse when it comes to paying. It's almost like they are surprised and not expecting to have to get their purse out at the till.

And then an eternity closing it back up and putting it back in their oversized handbag. And the amount of crap in the purse...I mean why do feel the need to carry around your 25 year old card with your social security number on it.

Now I use self scanning so no more check outs.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Have never seen it happen in Aldi or Lidl but have seen managers tear strips off staff in Dunnes on a few occasions. Dunnes managers seem to be special kinds of bolloxes.

Dunnes managers are, having being a Dunnes employee in my late teens for a few months I can tell you, purebred cünts... one fûcker even put his hands on me because I had my hands in my pockets trying to warm them up so I wouldn’t drop product they were that numb after an hour loading up freezer cabinets. Fûcker grabbed my arm to pull it out, nearly pulling me out of my standing.. i think going by his reaction he immediately knew he was after overstepping. Still I should have bounced my fist off his cerebellum, instead I just threatened him and walked.. Just looked him up on FB, 20 years later he is... a manager in SuperValu in a small backwater town and bragging about it on social media.. nice CG.

I have a cousin who is a manager in Dunnes clothing section. Nice enough girl away from the job but but totally career driven and obsessed with work, I’d say she’d be a cûnt to work for in the extreme, her own brother even agrees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Keep a plastic crate in the boot of the car, no need for bags

But how can that work if you have a lot of shopping to do? It certainly would not carry all my shopping. And if you have not a lot of shopping to do a crate seems quite a heavy thing to lug out of the car in the first place?
    Also does the crate fit evenly into the trolly.

I have seen some people, but rarely I have to say, with a series of bags hooked into the trolley like an accordion player type of thing. I often think how well organised they appear to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

This thread is fantastic, I never knew the supermarket trip had so much tension and strife connected with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

when the aul one you skipped ahead of in the queue catches up to you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_THzkANNPU

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

this one not so much annoying, more....funny/unprofessional?

staff bitching about other staff on the shop floor. ''and then i asked him to shift those boxes and he looked at me like id ten heads...lazy fuucker....oh yeah, i told mick i wanted them holidays booked off and he said no but sheila is allowed take them? ridiculous like...''

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I saw it in Lidl, one time I asked a girl at the till could I get something out of the locked cabinet beacause there was no staff on the floor.
    She came down with me and opened the cabinet and when we went back to the till her wagon of a manager was waiting there and ate the head off her for leaving her station. I felt mortified for the poor girl, I think she was new but there was no excuse for yer wan to bawl her out of it on the shop floor.
    I wish i had told the manager that it was my fault she left the till but she scared the crap out of me :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Strumms wrote: »
    Dunnes managers are, having being a Dunnes employee in my late teens for a few months I can tell you, purebred cünts... one fûcker even put his hands on me because I had my hands in my pockets trying to warm them up so I wouldn’t drop product they were that numb after an hour loading up freezer cabinets. Fûcker grabbed my arm to pull it out, nearly pulling me out of my standing.. i think going by his reaction he immediately knew he was after overstepping. Still I should have bounced my fist off his cerebellum, instead I just threatened him and walked.. Just looked him up on FB, 20 years later he is... a manager in SuperValu in a small backwater town and bragging about it on social media.. nice CG.

I have a cousin who is a manager in Dunnes clothing section. Nice enough girl away from the job but but totally career driven and obsessed with work, I’d say she’d be a cûnt to work for in the extreme, her own brother even agrees.

I've worked in Dunnes and that's complete and utter nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 15,866 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It may have been said before, but honestly I have the aisles in our local SV and Aldi down to a T. I could run in there and in five minutes get everything I want, mask on, out the door.

But when they change the effin aisles with a different layout, oh god, I hate that. Why do they do it? Admittedly the local Aldi was refurbished just before lockdown, so I can kind of understand that, but SV, go away and keep things as they are thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

GT89 wrote: »
    I've worked in Dunnes and that's complete and utter nonsense

Because you ‘worked’ in Dunnes that enables you to have complete authority on everyone else’s experiences and thoughts does it ? In every store under every manager ? Some boyo. It’s not, quite simply nonsense, maybe things have changed, ok, that’s good if it’s happened but don’t be calling ‘nonsense’ on a situation and experiences which you never experienced personally, during my short stint they were a crap employer both as regards their treatment of their employees and various other aspects that I should not elaborate on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

When the checkout person squeezes the really fresh bread.

And it stays squeezed :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

riclad wrote: »
    People who use a credit card to pay for 5 euros worth of items, do you not carry cash

It’s way faster than cash and in a supermarket potentially less to process than cash too.

It’s not 1986, when they had to get out the carbon paper and the big rolly thing.

Also there’s a pandemic on. Most ppl aren’t using much cash.

Advertisement