Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most annoying things abut supermarkets

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

GT89 wrote: »
    I've worked in Dunnes and that's complete and utter nonsense

I've worked in Dunnes drapery and yeah the managers were less than nice. Though one manager was lovely.... Yup her managers treated her appallingly.

I've worked in 6 different retail outlets both supermarkets and normal shops and Dunnes was by far the worst.

When someone made the comment about staff members getting disciplined on the shop floor the first place I thought of was Dunnes.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Have never seen it happen in Aldi or Lidl but have seen managers tear strips off staff in Dunnes on a few occasions. Dunnes managers seem to be special kinds of bolloxes.

Ever been to a musgraves store ?

It’s way faster than cash and in a supermarket potentially less to process than cash too.

It’s not 1986, when they had to get out the carbon paper and the big rolly thing.

Also there’s a pandemic on. Most ppl aren’t using much cash.

yep, it was frustrating as heck years ago now you tap and walk its literally the fastest method of payment. Someone is just recycling posts from a 2005 equivalent of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Have never seen it happen in Aldi or Lidl but have seen managers tear strips off staff in Dunnes on a few occasions. Dunnes managers seem to be special kinds of bolloxes.

Absolutely, little Hitlers. I used to drive a truck in a former life and the jumped up little fcuks who called themselves goods inwards managers were something else. If they took against you you could spend hours sitting outside, just on the whim of these little ****s, Tesco were much the same but without the suit and tie.
    I remember one particularly obnoxious fcuker in Newbridge who, if if you only had half a pallet and your own tail lift wouldn't let you unload it yourself. Often felt like running over him but I believe one driver did lose the head and broke his jaw, wish I'd been there to see that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

So we should unload the trolley at the till, load the trolley after the till, unload the trolley at bench, to load the packed bags in the trolley?

Quite a few redundant steps there.

Unload trolley at till....essential as goods have to be scanned.

Scanned goods back in the trolley mucho rapido...so as not to hold up next person.

Leave till area...it is now free for the next customer.

Strategic packing at bench...where you hold up NOBODY...or

Wheel trolley to vehicle and load there ....again holding up nobody.

It's common sense to this poster ....:confused:

• Advertisement

Two things about supermarkets that I hate:

Forgetting what I went in for.

Unexpected item in the bagging area.

I genuinely love a nice supermarket all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Candie wrote: »
    Two things about supermarkets that I hate:

Forgetting what I went in for.

Unexpected item in the bagging area.

I genuinely love a nice supermarket all the same.

Tea. Goes for tea and comes back without tea. It's always tea.

AllForIt wrote: »

It's so true.

I go in talking to myself. Tea and milk, tea and milk, don't forget the milk, Candie.

Forgets the tea. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

I have to agree about jumped up managers.

I worked in Tesco and i had one manager who was a wagon.

I was in at 6 one day and the person for self scan hadnt turned up.So i was on it.

Bout 6.30 went to get on my own till.This manager was on a till and called me over.And in front of everyone said it was so good of me to join them.Big smirk on him

I said i wasnt late,the person who was on self scan was,so go and say it to them.And if they had a problem with me being late,say it not in front of the customers.

Well his face was a picture and off i went.

It's so true.

I go in talking to myself. Tea and milk, tea and milk, don't forget the milk, Candie.

Forgets the tea. :(

Yeah like I come back with some ripe avocados (for a change) and forget what really matters.

• Advertisement

Yeah like I come back with some ripe avocados (for a change) and forget what really matters.

Once, my husband went out to buy a particular chocolate cake I wanted. Nay, needed.

He came home without the cake, but with a fishing kayak.

True story.

Once, my husband went out to buy a particular chocolate cake I wanted. Nay, needed.

True story.

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 24,827 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Rockbeast2 wrote: »
    Women of all ages at tills.

That look of surprise when asked to pay.

The 2 minute root in handbag for purse. Looking for exact change when she has a €50 note. Not finding it. Paying with €50 note.

Remembering an item she forgot/voucher she has/item to return. Cashier has to call a supervisor to open till...

This. Also, fiddling with the change back into the purse. Taking ages to put it away, then spending a good 20 seconds studying the receipt and not moving their trolley while your stuff is being scanned and piling up.

Same women who queue for an ATM, and go through the same ordeal once they get to the machine, but this time have to have a good think about how much cash they should take out after entering their pin.

However I digress.

People who take the parent and child parking spaces at Aldi with no kids irrationality annoy me, if I've got kids with me it's actually very useful to have the extra room.

People who make a point of slowly packing their bags at the till in Lidl/Aldi while clearly knowing that is not what you are ment to do. They always have that smug/self righteous look too as if "you won't get me to play your efficient German game".

People who block shelves staring at products and not picking anything, who clearly don't give a sh1t that you are waiting to pick something off a shelf and won't stand back for a second to let you get it - more so in covid times.

People not tapping their card when it's within the tap limit. WTF are you still punching in the pin for?

I don't mind people using vouchers in Dunnes but it encourages the behaviour of leaving the till to go "make up the cost". Cashier might say, "oh you're at 191, do you want to make it up to 200", and everyone has to wait while the person will run off and choose steak or wine or something that they clearly didn't need in the first place.

The crappy range of items in Lidl and Aldi drives me mad. They are untouchable on price on lots of stuff, but the product range makes no sense. Taco spice mix but no taco shells, chicken wings but no sauce for chicken wings. Only the basic spices. No strong flour for making pizza etc which means you end up needing to go to dunnes or somewhere. Plenty more examples.

Last but not least, if I don't have the kids I generally park in the furthest possible space from the entrance so that some f*ckwit doesn't damage my car with a trolley or their car door. Without fail some clown will have parked right beside me, even though there are 100 available spaces closer to the entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

True story.

Cake and Kayak sound very similar, he may have got them mixed up, if you had a regional accent you might say get me a caayk. In that case I'm not surprised. My annoying thing about supermarkets rant is people who load up a trolly, head to the counter, load up the bags, stand there and eventually produce the money, did u think you were getting it on the book?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Hated it when I used to buy a newspapers in the supermarket and the check-out person would casually read it before scanning.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Cake and Kayak sound very similar, he may have got them mixed up, if you had a regional accent you might say get me a caayk. In that case I'm not surprised.

You would make a fantastic defense lawyer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Alejandro68

When two women with carts completely block the isle while gossiping.And see you coming up the isle but ignore you.And when you say excuse me you then are greeted by hateful stares.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

OP's post had me seriously confused there for a bit.

I thought it was going to be about something fit for the etiquette thread.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Rockbeast2 wrote: »
    I bet you squeeze both ends of the sliced pan! LOL

Aul ones in my local shop squeeze everything; bread, rolls, cakes, fruit. Big dirty finger dents in everything by the time they go back to the first one they picked up and take that!:D

I once heard a yarn about a posh woman at the Moore St stalls who was pawing at the prawns to choose which to buy.
    The Mrs Browne type stall holder barks 'they're prawns missus, not mickies. They won't get bigger by stroking them.'

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

scudzilla wrote: »
    Most annoying thing about supermarkets for me is those little barstard kids trollies, ya know the type, mammy wandering around everywhere and her 3 little angles each have one of these ankle slammers and are running riot.

These contraptions led me to one of the most embarrassing moments for me in recent times, went into our local Supervalu and there's a largish foyer, to the right is way in, to the left is people coming out, so i go in with wit my wife and i'm pushing the trolley, stadning right in the doorway is a little kid, maybe 5/6 years old with one of these trolleys, not budging, his dad just standing 5ft inside the doorway looking at him smiling.

After 30 seconds of this kid not budging and a few people starting to queue behind me i shout out "Ah come on, will ya get out of the way""""

He turns around and looks at me with his little down syndrome head :(:(:(

The mutterings from ladies behind me, the second he turned around my wife legged it, found her by the bread breaking her shite laughing
    I just love this :pac:

Could be a comedy sketch.

When two women with carts completely block the isle while gossiping.And see you coming up the isle but ignore you.And when you say excuse me you then are greeted by hateful stares.

I genuinely go out of my way to rudely move them, hate those idiots. Stare at me all you wish I didn't come to the supermarket to make friends, I came to get essential supplies and get out ASAP before I get further irked by the stupidity of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Or in the case of Lidl/Aldi, goes in for tea, forgets tea but comes home with a petrol strimmers, 5 bags of bark mulch and a clothes line.

EDIT: Hadn't read the rest of the thread before posting!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

bobbyss wrote: »
    But how can that work if you have a lot of shopping to do? It certainly would not carry all my shopping. And if you have not a lot of shopping to do a crate seems quite a heavy thing to lug out of the car in the first place?
    Also does the crate fit evenly into the trolly.

I have seen some people, but rarely I have to say, with a series of bags hooked into the trolley like an accordion player type of thing. I often think how well organised they appear to be.

You keep the crate in the boot, you just put the items in it from the trolley, when you get home you carry in the crate

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

s1ippy wrote: »
    I just love this :pac:

Could be a comedy sketch.
    It was: it happened to Ricky Gervais character in Extras. But it was a restaurant rather than a supermarket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭stinkypinky

Probably been mentioned a few times. When you have a tonne of shopping and are putting it on the conveyor and the person behind you with their items starts putting there's on the belt leaving you no space to unpack the rest of yours. This has happened a few times and sometimes they'd look at you cross-eyed after asking nicely if they could give you a bit of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

In Aldi I am like the road runner at the checkout, scanned quickly.... into trolley on repeat and pack at the counter behind.

But there is always some idiot before me who is so slow and packs everything at the checkout. THEN tries to find their money or their card. Oh Jesus help me from these people.

Did I already mention about supermarkets changing the products in their aisles? Another twenty minutes trying to find anything. Boils my blood. Why do they do that? Must be a marketing thing or something.

And those on their own who park in the child spaces. GRRRRRR.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Cake and Kayak sound very similar, he may have got them mixed up, if you had a regional accent you might say get me a caayk. In that case I'm not surprised.

Don't let them take your temperature on your forehead when you enter a supermarket !

It erases your memory.

I went in for bread and milk and came out with two cases of beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I once heard a yarn about a posh woman at the Moore St stalls who was pawing at the prawns to choose which to buy.
    The Mrs Browne type stall holder barks 'they're prawns missus, not mickies. They won't get bigger by stroking them.'

Ah feck sake, that gave me a good laugh :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

People taking the lids off lip balm, rubbing it under their armpit before putting lid back on and placing back on shelf. Ignorant f*ckers.

Advertisement