Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most annoying things abut supermarkets

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭appledrop

People at self check outs who do not put their bags on first and then put shopping in bags as they scan. Then they could just take their items instead of having to pack everything after paying..[/quote]

No I've tried this in Super Valu + I always get unexplained item in bagging area if I try to do bag first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭appledrop

There are so many annoying things!

Can't stand self service check out especially Tesco. They are unable to identify Brennans sliced pan like wtf.

When I purposely park in quieter part of car park so plenty of room to get in + out+ some ****ers packs right beside me!

I despise packing in current Covid climate. We do a big shop once a week so one of us would load up conveyor belt while other packed. Obviously we don't go as family anymore + its like a race to stack them all on conveyer belt + make it down then to pack them before its too full!

Now usually check out staff are brilliant + kinda stack them for you so don't build up too much but one girl was literally just firing them down. She was so ignorant. I was still packing + she started putting through the next persons shopping + firing it down on me! The other people were mortified + told her I don't think she is finished yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Men do the same thing, get to till, look for money, oh I have to pay for this,
    All the supermarkets I go to have self scanning units,
    The thing that annoys me is if someone takes my basket away , I prefer to fill my bag away from the scanning unit. I need the basket.
    People who get to close, please follow the line on the ground, stay 3ft away from me in the queue

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

riclad wrote: »
    Men do the same thing, get to till, look for money, oh I have to pay for this,
    All the supermarkets I go to have self scanning units,
    The thing that annoys me is if someone takes my basket away , I prefer to fill my bag away from the scanning unit. I need the basket.
    People who get to close, please follow the line on the ground, stay 3ft away from me in the queue
    Go early in the morning or after 7pm if you want to avoid crowded supermarkets

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

appledrop wrote: »
    its like a race to stack them all on conveyer belt + make it down then to pack them before its too full!

There’s an art to it. A mixture of preparation and timing. I do a weekly shop for my family of 5 on my own, and 98% of the time I’m way ahead of the teller and am waiting patiently for the last item to be scanned, as everything else is already neatly and systematically bagged. I feel a sense of failure if there’s a buildup in the bagging area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Archeron

Are ya collecting the tokens for the fish knives?
    Sorry, what?
    The fish knives. It's an exclusive 84 piece set designed by John roccas dentist. For every million euro you spend, we allow you to buy one of these beautiful cast steel knives for up to 50% off their RRP of ninety euro each. You can complete the set within two or three generations as long as you don't mind filling your wallet with these tiny stickers that you will find everywhere, including behind wall sockets and under your eyelid.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Looking like these rants about supermarkets are the least of our troubles now, going by Covid reports today.

But food is essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,827 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Looking like these rants about supermarkets are the least of our troubles now, going by Covid reports today.

But food is essential.

Bit depressing alright... I’m not surprised however.

Food is essential and so is the behavior of people when they go to get it... when they leave their front door... for shopping, exercise, get petrol, McDonald’s whatever.

News about the 80 positive in the meat packing / processing plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

People taking the lids off lip balm, rubbing it under their armpit before putting lid back on and placing back on shelf. Ignorant f*ckers.

WHAT?

My annoyance is the trolleys full of junk food that comprise the weekly shop of some families.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭AllForIt

You know what does annoy me, it's the security guard. I have a strange supermarket habit of wandering arokund aisle to aisle back and forth, where others do them in order. I just know he's looking at me via camera on his screen inside the front door. I always glare at him on the way out as If I don't know he's looking at me on his screen and looks up at me when I'm leaving giving me my opportunity to glare at him. I mean they should be a bit more surreptitious about it - it's their job. Don't make it so obvious your spying on everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭trashcan

I once heard a yarn about a posh woman at the Moore St stalls who was pawing at the prawns to choose which to buy.
    The Mrs Browne type stall holder barks 'they're prawns missus, not mickies. They won't get bigger by stroking them.'

Copywrite that gag before Brendan O'Carroll nicks it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

trashcan wrote: »
    Copywrite that gag before Brendan O'Carroll nicks it ;)

My mam's late friend told me that about 30 years ago and she said it was a true story. I think it sounds like a yarn :D

To thine own self be true

I gotta say, the folks working in my local Lidl are showing a remarkable level of good humour and so on considering the **** they have to put up with. It's almost a pleasure to go shopping there.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭kegg

biko wrote: »
    Baguette even

My mother called it 'duck loaf'. I never asked why.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

AllForIt wrote: »
    You know what does annoy me, it's the security guard. I have a strange supermarket habit of wandering arokund aisle to aisle back and forth, where others do them in order. I just know he's looking at me via camera on his screen inside the front door. I always glare at him on the way out as If I don't know he's looking at me on his screen and looks up at me when I'm leaving giving me my opportunity to glare at him. I mean they should be a bit more surreptitious about it - it's their job. Don't make it so obvious your spying on everyone.

Eh, I think you might be over-thinking things.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Baguette.

Never heard it called a French log.

Baguette is what you get a chicken fillet roll on. French stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Dickheads holding up the queue talkin ****e to the cashier.

They don’t want to hear about your ****ty insignificant life.

And I don’t want to be in the shop for a second longer than absolutely necessary which you are now increasing with your **** talk!!!!

Probably been mentioned but this happened me yesterday with the person essentially refusing to pay until they told the cashier their life story.

Infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

When supermarkets move the produce around every few months.

I know where everything is and then some overweight sweaty middle manager on a power trip decides to move everything around to 'freshen things up'. No- you're just pissing me off and no it will not trick me into buying crap I do not need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Dickheads holding up the queue talkin ****e to the cashier.

They don’t want to hear about your ****ty insignificant life.

And I don’t want to be in the shop for a second longer than absolutely necessary which you are now increasing with your **** talk!!!!

Probably been mentioned but this happened me yesterday with the person essentially refusing to pay until they told the cashier their life story.

Infuriating.

If I could like this post twice I would

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

People waiting until the very last minute to go looking for purse / wallet to pay :confused:

people blocking up already narrow aisles to have chats with people they meet,:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭NeinNeinNein

People squeezing the sliced pans and then replacing them on the shelf.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,024 ✭✭✭joeguevara

This has to be one of the funniest things ive read in a long time. id love to be listening to you muttering to yourself with delusions of someone looking at you from the other side of the shop, based on absolutely nothing. And throw in the glare at the end, priceless. This has to be a windup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

bobbyss wrote: »
    The French Log Experience

Buy a French Log. The long bag it is in is always shorter than the actual length of the bread itself. The end sticks out. Waiting for it to slide out and fall to the floor. This probably happens just as you are at he checkout. During Covid some places had the bag made bigger so that all of the log was covered. No touching.

But by and large it is back to normal now because we all want to buy bread that other people have handled.

I used to blow a fuse when I was in a queue and the cashier left his/her station to do something. Maybe get a bar code sorted. However I have got over that. Not his or her fault. Could be me that they have to leave their station.

But that French log.

WTF is a french log?

Do you mean a baguette?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

WTF is a french log?

Do you mean a baguette?

I always thought a French log was something you found in a jacks in Paris :)

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭kegg

Very annoying when people decide to put the groceries on the conveyor at the tills at the very end. As if I'm goin to steal some!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Baguette is what you get a chicken fillet roll on. French stick.

Demi-Baguette is the chicken Fillet roll. Baguette is the full thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

bobbyss wrote: »
    I have seen some people, but rarely I have to say, with a series of bags hooked into the trolley like an accordion player type of thing. I often think how well organised they appear to be.

I think those bags with the poles that rest on the trolley edge are actually a really good idea. Because they are opened up they allow you to keep pace with the cashier scanning the goods and pack everything at the till. Then just lift the bags into your car boot and you're good to go. If I were buying trolley loads of food myself I'd definitely get them, they speed everything up.
    Strumms wrote: »
    Dunnes managers are, having being a Dunnes employee in my late teens for a few months I can tell you, purebred cünts...

We had a brilliant thread on AH a couple of years back, I think it was called 'Most depressing Dunnes in Ireland'. Once all the 1970s looking depressing Dunnes got listed it then descended into many, many ex-Dunnes employees relating how toxic it was to work there with lots of stories of little Hitler managers.

I think its a cultural thing with Dunnes. The senior management in HQ behave like bolloxes too and that carries on down to store level. Dunnes HQ thinks nothing of riding roughshod over Irish planning laws, they throw in frivilous planning objections when Aldi or Lidl try to set up a new supermarket, they sign leases with landlords and then refuse to pay the rent, they are commonly in the High Court for their shennaigans. They just seem to be an overall prize kunt of a company.

And thats before we get into their 60 euro Paul Costello plank of wood....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

The way they steal random 'o's from thread titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,024 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I don't know why it annoys me so much but parents who open up packets of crisps or yogurts from the shelf or even breadrolls or buns from the bakery and give it to their kids while walking around the store. Always bugs me wondering do they pay for them at the checkout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

You're giving the security guard pissy looks for doing exactly what they're paid to do? Is your name Karen?

Advertisement