Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most annoying things abut supermarkets

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

No clue at all what people are trying to say in the local Ulster Scots dialect up in Newry. All I hear is “hurdy gurdy hurdy gurdy hurdy gurdy...”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Was in a large supermarket in NI over the weekend, won't be happening again anytime soon, very few masks, no attempt at distancing, cashier was constantly fiddling with her mask, was sniffling and didn't sanitize hands between customers. No effort being made at all as far as I could see

Seen that myself, I was nearly feeling guilty wearing a mask definitely a couple of months ago and it hasn't improved greatly at-all up to yesterday....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Old people ahead of you in the queue. I know ill be old someday so patience and compassion yadda yadda, but fcuk me its extremely annoying to pop in for one or two things and be stuck behind some awl fellow who takes 1000 years to give the cashier his money, all in coins, then takes a further 800 years to pick up his bag and shuffle away. :mad:

Shame on you Amen 🙏

• Registered Users Posts: 13,399 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

When some jumped up store manager takes it on themselves to rearrange everything, thus conflaberating me when I do my shopping:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Paddygreen wrote: »
    No clue at all what people are trying to say in the local Ulster Scots dialect up in Newry. All I hear is “hurdy gurdy hurdy gurdy hurdy gurdy...”

Gregory, go back to sleep

• Advertisement

Seen that myself, I was nearly feeling guilty wearing a mask definitely a couple of months ago and it hasn't improved greatly at-all up to yesterday....

Wasn't comfortable at all, was only in as I had to collect something nearby

If more people cycled to the supermarket with their kids that space could be used for testing and screening customers before they are allowed to enter. There are bike trailers you can put kids in. People are having too many kids anyway, it’s bad for the planet.

Thought the Greens were big on kids

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

when your in the que with a few items and the tills are busy and they announce opening a new till and some c*** with a full trolley rushes to be 1st in line

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

neris wrote: »
    when your in the que with a few items and the tills are busy and they announce opening a new till and some c*** with a full trolley rushes to be 1st in line

Its open season once a new checkout opens.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,201 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Old people ahead of you in the queue. I know ill be old someday so patience and compassion yadda yadda, but fcuk me its extremely annoying to pop in for one or two things and be stuck behind some awl fellow who takes 1000 years to give the cashier his money, all in coins, then takes a further 800 years to pick up his bag and shuffle away. :mad:

Even better when he reeks of B.O.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,420 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

biko wrote: »
    A french log is confectionery
    You're thinking of a baguette.

That's what I was thinking.
    And the short bag is to make it look authentically French which the baguettes in Irish supermarkets are far from

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Ewwww I know. Those who don’t do their duty and wear masks for the greater good as recommended by our experts are the new leper’s. They should wear bells around their necks so that right thinking, progressive good citizens who do as they are told by the government and our experts can hear their potentially infectious carcasses shuffling around.
    If more people cycled to the supermarket with their kids that space could be used for testing and screening customers before they are allowed to enter. There are bike trailers you can put kids in. People are having too many kids anyway, it’s bad for the planet.

Mod

Cut out this trolly nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

People who use a credit card to pay for 5 euros worth of items, do you not carry cash

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Lady in front with big trolley of shopping,all the shopping goes through ,turns around to you "sorry ,do you mind if I run out to the car to get my vouchers,wont be a sec"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

riclad wrote: »
    People who use a credit card to pay for 5 euros worth of items, do you not carry cash

If I bought something for 20c I'd be paying with card! Swipe is probably quicker than cash and change, I don't see the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭boardise

RMAOK wrote: »
    Even better when he reeks of B.O.

Being Old ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

When the shop assistant deliberately puts the items as close to their end of the check out as possible so you have to stretch to get each item to pack your bags. Like they get a little kick out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Old people tottering along in the supermarket in the evenings. Slowly packing their stuff away and looking for a chat with the till people.

I've been at work all day and I'm bloody starving and I just want to to pay for a Pot Noodle and some bread and butter and go home to eat. They've had all fcuking day to shop, but they choose the busiest time, which is an inconvenience to themselves and people working.

On the subject of Tesco, I did a large part of the Christmas shop in Tesco in Merrion, came to €174.00. I knew it was too much, spent 10 minutes going through stuff at the service counter and the new bill was €148.00. Stuff marked as discounted on the shelves was not marked in the system. It's a deliberate rip-off strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,420 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Dont ever go to London. Theres even markets that are contactless only now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

happyday wrote: »
    When the shop assistant deliberately puts the items as close to their end of the check out as possible so you have to stretch to get each item to pack your bags. Like they get a little kick out of it.

Yeah I do hate that.
    Or those that slide along breakables roughly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

Crikey, some of you seem to think people are deliberately trying to be hostile to you when you're hardly that important to them.

Yeah yeah that's cool am all about that and making life easier for people etc etc...but if I don't bother putting the ruler shopping border thingy-ma-jiggy behind my shopping, because I know there's a substantial gap to the next persons shopping and I also place my hand on my last piece of shopping ...then I don't expect some person behind me to slap the border thingy-ma-jiggy ruler like a clapper board down behind my shopping just to make a psychotic episode point..ok ok we cool we cool :cool:

Wait wha? You realise they're not putting it down behind your shopping, they're putting it in front of theirs? And that that's exactly how the process is supposed to go?

Instead you herd your groceries down the conveyor belt, holding the last item with a protective caress... Seems totally sensible yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

KevRossi wrote: »
    Old people tottering along in the supermarket in the evenings. Slowly packing their stuff away and looking for a chat with the till people.

I've been at work all day and I'm bloody starving and I just want to to pay for a Pot Noodle and some bread and butter and go home to eat. They've had all fcuking day to shop, but they choose the busiest time, which is an inconvenience to themselves and people working.

On the subject of Tesco, I did a large part of the Christmas shop in Tesco in Merrion, came to €174.00. I knew it was too much, spent 10 minutes going through stuff at the service counter and the new bill was €148.00. Stuff marked as discounted on the shelves was not marked in the system. It's a deliberate rip-off strategy.
    Tesco are absolutely shocking for overcharging.
    No other supermarket is half as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,212 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

If I bought something for 20c I'd be paying with card! Swipe is probably quicker than cash and change, I don't see the problem
    breezy1985 wrote: »
    Dont ever go to London. Theres even markets that are contactless only now

I love the card vs cash debate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Jimmy McGill

People not packing their stuff away at the packing bench in Lidl/Aldi. Butterfingers holding the whole queue up finding the right bag to put her fish fingers in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Not being ready to pay at the til has to be mine.

It's as if some people hide their purse at the very bottom of their bag and only go searching for it after all the shopping is packed away and then they go searching through the purse for 2e coins to pay for the 58e worth of shopping. Get prepared while you queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

KevRossi wrote: »

I don’t give a monkeys if they are fast or slow but that chat bôllocksology sends me spare.. they get handed their change, receipt and make nothing even approaching an expeditious effort to get their stuff packed...instead trying to keep the attention of the employee, making small talk... “these were cheaper last month”. “Have you long to go”, “awful this covid isn’t it”.... no love it’s brilliant we all ordered two doses each ... ffs, I’m trying to get out of here and away from everyone not stood here in a potential covid shooting gallery ! Pack and go !

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The absolute abundance of people that call it “Tescos”.

Scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

My favourite peeve, albeit pre-Covid ... a new till opens up in Lidl/Aldi, everybody rushes to get there and unpack their stuff, stupid person in front of me dumps everything right at the very start of the band rather than walking up to the end and letting the people behind them put their stuff on too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

People not packing their stuff away at the packing bench in Lidl/Aldi. Butterfingers holding the whole queue up finding the right bag to put her fish fingers in.

So we should unload the trolley at the till, load the trolley after the till, unload the trolley at bench, to load the packed bags in the trolley?

Quite a few redundant steps there.

Advertisement