Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most annoying things abut supermarkets

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

Always come across gob****es that park their trolley on one side of the aisle and then go over to the other side to browse. Then there’s those that have a full blown conversation on the phone or talking with someone for ages and blocking bread or something that most would need to get at

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

The "music"

I think you'll find that's actually Muzak! :cool:

*Saves on royalties and keeps your grocery costs down!:)

EDIT: Although I would be willing to pay an extra fiver for good tunes every time I go shopping with Missus Beast!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Why don't they load the fcukin shelves when the supermarket is CLOSED ...?

They do it's called nightpack and most of the larger supermarkets do it. But stock needs to be kept on the shelves during the day too and it is difficult to get and retain staff to work nights

Not to sound like a Facebook Dad, but why do hardly any of the supermarket staff wear masks?

I suppose it's a bit exhausting, and they're mostly young people so hardly at-risk, but as we're often reminded, the whole point of a mask is to protect others.

A large amount of the transmission has been traced to asymptomatic/ pre-symptomatic spreaders, so it's surprising that supermarkets aren't enforcing mask wearing among their own staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Rezident

not enough cashiers on (yet again tesco ballybrack!) and a MASSIVE queue at the self-service checkouts. And half of them are broken again FFS. Back to Super Valu...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

Store lay out is I think the worst thing.

Usually fruit & veg at the start, no issue, however it is then onto bread, then diary, then tinned goods, then bottles.

Just results in bread getting squashed.

The checkout system at Aldi/Lidl is so inefficient, unload the trolley of goods to be scanned to only load it again, then to take it to the window to unload it again in order to bag it.

Luckily some of the new shops have large checkouts so people can bag at the checkout.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The other people.

The greatest annoyance about any place is always other people.

L'enfer c'est les autres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

biko wrote: »
    Baguette even

the OP is a baguette bagatelle

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

The Family Day Out people, himself, herself and several "I want I want waaaaa" kids.

"Put that back, put it Baaack", "if you don't behave that lady will take you" (you're alright love, thanks :D ) "take that out of your mouth" "get down! "Get down off that" "no" "waaaaaa"

The main reason I shop at night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

French bread suffice description

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 GeorgeSmt

queues, exactly queues

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Idiots in the queue in Dunnes handing the cashier a big fistful of money off vouchers thus holding up the entire queue.

Also in Lidl one day, the same big galoot with a whistly voice kept cutting across me and getting in my way no matter what aisle I was in. I just couldn't shrug him off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

murpho999 wrote: »
    Surely with tech nowadays you should be able to pack in bags as you go along and products get scanned together with RFID tech or something. So you just pay your bill and go.

The amazon store in Seattle have this - you connect your phone to their wifi when you go in, take some stuff, and then walk out, and an invoice is sent to your Amazon account.

The Decathlon near me (not in Ireland) has something not quite so advanced, but getting there: at the self service checkout, the bagging area is a hollow box with scanners on each side. You put all your stuff in (all in the one go, without scanning the individual items), it asks you to confirm that there are these x number of items, and then you pay and go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Foreigners in lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

BuboBubo wrote: »
    The Family Day Out people, himself, herself and several "I want I want waaaaa" kids.

"Put that back, put it Baaack", "if you don't behave that lady will take you" (you're alright love, thanks :D ) "take that out of your mouth" "get down! "Get down off that" "no" "waaaaaa"

The main reason I shop at night :)
    Them barrelling around the place like missiles with a fcuked guidance system as well. I have nearly been put knocked on me arse or tripped over the little angels on more than one occasion. Some parents treat the supermarket like a park or playground, as soon as they are in the door it is let the kids off the leash and go into ignore mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

The music is usually more than 20 years old.

Probably a good thing now that I think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,827 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

touts wrote: »
    I put one woman's stuff back in her basket when she did that for the second time in the queue. First time she raced to get into the queue, unloaded her 4 or 5 items and then disappeared for a couple of minutes and came back with some fruit. Then she headed off again and I just packed her items back into a basket and left it to one side and moved up the line.

She wasn't pleased when she got back a few minutes later with a couple of bottles of wine and about 5 people now ahead of her in the queue.

Fûck her, and the horse she rode in on... the miserable twát. Should have gone all Walter Sobchak on her.. “Life does not stop and start at your convenience, you miserable piece of ****.”... maybe :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Not having cash/card ready to pay at the till.

You have all the time in the world to get this ready in the queue ****ing hurry up, no excuse for it.

My local Tesco not too bad but was going to the tills in Tesco Maynooth the other day and had 3/4 products that I wasn't sure if they were part of a deal or not.

Surely a manager should be going around checking for this or maybe it is deliberate.

Trust me, no one responsible for handling the price labels is highly paid enough to care how much money the place makes. They certainly don't care enough about your money to try to trick you into thinking you're getting a deal.

My main annoyance (especially since COVID, as I'm trying my best to give other people space), is when you're looking at a shelf and you know you're going to be a while, and someone else comes along trying to look at the same thing. I think to myself, oh I'll step back a bit so we can both see the shelf and I'm not blocking it. 70% of the time the other person just steps in right in front of me, totally into my personal space and blocking the shelf for me, even though I'm clearly still trying to look for something.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

When they don't have what you want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 EasterSheep

Not having cash/card ready to pay at the till.

You have all the time in the world to get this ready in the queue ****ing hurry up, no excuse for it.

Even worse when they say "oh i just need to grab one more thing" after their other stuff is already scanned and both you and the shopkeeper have to stand there awkwardly waiting on them

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Foreigners in lidl
    Don't get me started.

I was checking out the Polish section. But then they asked me to leave the staff room :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I used to prefer Tesco but since lockdown I have switched to Lidl, the only thing I hate about Lidl is you usually cant get all the things you need there, you need say 8 items for a recipe you are making, Lidl might have 6 or 7 of the items you need so you have to go to another supermarket to get the remaining items. its infuriating when its something basic like basil leaves or some spice they should have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Standing for ten minutes at the only till open and then as soon as you start to put your stuff on the belt, they open the one beside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Me and my sister do it, and we got it from our dad, but like being overly loud waling through the aisles. Like a running monologue while shopping. It's actually annoying, much better to just go in, know what you want and get the **** out. You see it loads whereby people have overy loud deliberations over whether they should get rice or pasta or both.

I'm not in favour of bland sterile environments but come on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I never realised the supermarket was such a hot-bed of stress, tension and frustration!! Get over it people, you'll probably take 10 minutes off your life getting worked up about a slow moving queue!!
    My only real gripe about them is the car-parking. Car pulled in, front wheel across the line into the next space. Learn to park FFS, it'll take you 30 seconds to park properly. Not unique to supermarket car parks though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 trisha e

Parents who let their kids whine all around the shop cos they didn't get what they want. If I wanted to listen to that I would have stayed at home.For instance in cornelcourt this morning a kid wanted to get a trolley and the father wouldn't get one ,the kid was still crying half way round the shop. How parents can bear to listen to them😢

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

We beat most of this crap by shopping early, ideally mid week, along with a fair few other clever clogs. I know that may not be possible for many but also popping in during their last hour of trading every day, it's quiet then too. Find a lot of the time I'm there late, they are stocking the shelves as it's so quiet.

The weekly shop has these days become more of a 10 day/fortnight shop. Buying a small number of extras as well the last 2 shops just in case we have another lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I used to prefer Tesco but since lockdown I have switched to Lidl, the only thing I hate about Lidl is you usually cant get all the things you need there, you need say 8 items for a recipe you are making, Lidl might have 6 or 7 of the items you need so you have to go to another supermarket to get the remaining items. its infuriating when its something basic like basil leaves or some spice they should have.

Yeah Ive had that with Lidl/Aldi where you are one or two ingredients short for a recipe and have to go elsewhere to get them. Its frustrating but it is what it is. Lidl/Aldis spice ranges are tiny compared to the others. Supervalue and Dunnes sell those expensive Schwartz spices which are a rip off for what they are. At least Tesco have their own brand spices which are good value.

Best way to solve the basil problem is buy a basil plant, they are only 1.50 compared to 99c for a bag of basil leaves. I get one at the start of every summer and put it on the kitchen window ledge. Once you water it every 2 or 3 days it will repay with you enough basil leaves to last the whole summer to put on top of pizzas or make pesto with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

touts wrote: »
    I put one woman's stuff back in her basket when she did that for the second time in the queue. First time she raced to get into the queue, unloaded her 4 or 5 items and then disappeared for a couple of minutes and came back with some fruit. Then she headed off again and I just packed her items back into a basket and left it to one side and moved up the line.

She wasn't pleased when she got back a few minutes later with a couple of bottles of wine and about 5 people now ahead of her in the queue.

the worst is when fuuckers like this, nuisance customers who do nuisance things in general, laugh to themselves like its nothing as if to say'' ah jesus im a gas thing, holding everyone up, i should have my own podcast im such a character hehehe''' like they're in a sitcom or something, oblivious to the blinding urge of fellow shoppers to strangle them.

Advertisement