Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Got a Sharp Twin Famicom!
    521418.jpg
    Seller didn't include the JAP PSU (had a step down I could have used) so I picked up this PSU on eBay that does the trick.
    I have a FDSStick winging its way from the US to connect up to it somehow. Will either be a cable from a donor RAM card or a RGB cable I just picked up :) fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Can’t help but ask what the story with that Jameson bottle is?

Is it a novelty thing made of plastic or was the glass melted to form that shape? :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's what happens when you absolutely have to suck every drop of whiskey out of the bottle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Doge wrote: »
    Can’t help but ask what the story with that Jameson bottle is?

Is it a novelty thing made of plastic or was the glass melted to form that shape? :pac:
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It's what happens when you absolutely have to suck every drop of whiskey out of the bottle
    Tis melted! It's a wall clock I haven't had the courage to put a nail in the wall to hang up yet :pac: more info on how folks make flat bottleness here
    Kinda shoved the console up to the TV for the quick photo as I was being attacked by my cat at the time and dinner was on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Got my hands on one of these finally via a contact in the UK. A Gamecube Development Unit. Currently doing some research to see which company may have had it. An interesting thing is there is 2 memory cards already in the back. I promise not to keep hostage Diddy Kong Racing 2 if I find a save on there :P.

Probably one of the last things I wanted to collect for Gamecube so happy to finally acquire one.

IMG-20200728-162311.jpg

IMG-20200728-162319.jpg

IMG-20200728-162323.jpg

IMG-20200728-162343.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Wow that's a serious bit of kit!

Have you tried booting it up?

o1s1n wrote: »
    Wow that's a serious bit of kit!

Have you tried booting it up?

Not yet. Didn't wanna do any inadvertent damage to it in case it has a specific booting order (carts needs to be inserted etc) The cartridges do pop up every now and again so may try and seek one out in the future if not massively expensive.

Some quick follow up research with it and there's a possibility the development kit may have come from Warthog Studios based in the UK, which later became a part of Gizmondo studios. The Gamecube titles I found so far that they worked on were: Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone, Rally Championship, Looney Tunes: Back in Action, Future Tactics: The Uprising and Animaniacs: The Great Edgar Hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Couple of bits today.

The Mega Everdrive Pro eventually arrived(after I handed the Postman €50.76 customs charges).

fGTS3f8.jpg

And for those that think the Arcade1Up cabs are too small, check out the officially licensed Quarter Arcades PAC-MAN cab :pac:
    Its actually really nice and somewhat playable. A novelty item for sure, but I'll prob get a couple of their other ones to go with this.

0rXBdc1.jpg

6EHD7af.jpg

NpNoSFY.jpg

vqhcQvi.jpg

9zklbCJ.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

50 Euro customs wtf?? How much customs would I pay for two Megadrive bootleg carts coming from China from Ali Express? Any ideas?

50 Euro customs wtf?? How much customs would I pay for two Megadrive bootleg carts coming from China from Ali Express? Any ideas?

Probably nothing as most Chinese sellers mark them under 21 euro which is the cutoff amount for getting charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Doge wrote: »
    Probably nothing as most Chinese sellers mark them under 21 euro which is the cutoff amount for getting charged.

The Chinese, a great bunch of lads.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

None of my cheap as chips purchases from Aliexpress have ever been nobbled for import charges.
    Some of the Ebay purchases... almost every time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

OK thanks people. I might take the plunge so.

OK thanks people. I might take the plunge so.

Like others have said, you'll more than likely be fine with stuff from China/AliExpress.
    If I'd of known the value they put on the Everdrive(€50) I'd have basically had to pay nothing on it.

The Chinese, a great bunch of lads.

Haha I was actually going to post that captioned image but since I'm on the touch site it's a balls to embed.
    I usually use the desktop mode on my phone believe it or not for embedding media.

Not quite retro, well not at all, but I have a physical copy of Tempest 4000 incoming for my PS4.
    Now, I already own it as a digital download but it's nice to have a physical copy of such a lovely game.
    I wonder... If there's anyway to get it onto an arcade cab...
    Would look amazing...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Few bits and bobs arrived over the last few days.

heIL0HSl.jpg

XHlnbnXh.jpg

PGN07aqh.png
    This one hurt. I had so much issue with PlayAsia and UPS over this, with them telling me my address was wrong and didn't exist and then being stuck in Germany for half a week, missing two supposedly scheduled delivery dates.

It eventually arrived yesterday but I couldn't take it without handing the postman €65 (which I had in my wallet but it was birthday money :( )

What cost me a base price of €128 + €49 postage ended up reaching a total of roughly €240. I should've went with FedEx. I'll never use UPS again. At least with FedEx they give you time to pay back the custom charges, and don't sting as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

New Disney game for the collection.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It eventually arrived yesterday but I couldn't take it without handing the postman €65 (which I had in my wallet but it was birthday money :(

Did you get a break down on how it was calculated as that seems like a lot for the price of it?

Don’t they charge like a tenner each time for a processing fee? Luckily haven’t been caught much but did for arcade stuff ordered from the states recently, thought the processing fee was taking the piss, 20 for two packages before the actual customs charge, also I’ve received aliexpress items from NL and they still charged customs

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Did you get a break down on how it was calculated as that seems like a lot for the price of it?

No I didn't argue it. The only time customs was mentioned on the tracking was when it was in Hong Kong, where it says "cleared customs"

The postman's words were "There's an import tax for this one. It's from China like you know yourself"...........and I've never had UPS deliver from China before. So I just took him at his word. Plus I waited long enough for that thing so I was already seeing red over the time it took to get here.

Normally you get a breakdown like below(my Everdrive Pro).
    This is for An Post, and they dont take card payments of any sort, cash or cheque only(which is annoying in this day and age).
    Total Value of Goods - € 177.24

Customs Duty - € 0.00
    VAT @ 23% - € 40.76
    An Post Fee - € 10.00
    Total for Collection - € 50.76

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Normally you get a breakdown like below(my Everdrive Pro).
    This is for An Post, and they dont take card payments of any sort, cash or cheque only(which is annoying in this day and age).

I have no idea who posted mine to my actual door. Some old lad in a transit van came to my door so I couldn't say what company it is. Awk it doesn't matter really. But you have to do things to learn.

Out of all the times I've ordered from overseas I've only ever been charged by customs or import tax a handful of times, and there have only been two occasions where I have not been allowed to accept the parcel until I paid the fee (the last time, before this, was a Mega Drive game from Japan: I had to go into the post office to pay the fee before I was allowed to take it), but FedEx always charge, only they send a letter out and are less aggressive about it.

UPS were pretty harsh with mine. Can't say I was happy about it but I guess it is what it is.

Couple of bits in today.

A very nice condition Atari 2600(Light Sixer) with original psu and sticks. €40 on adverts, so I'm quite happy with that price. It really looks like it hasn't been used much at all.

urJ0aPm.jpg

And a new old stock Asian Mega Drive 2 that I had modded before it came to me(switchless V2 mod with controller in-game reset and RGB bypass).

ivWusAO.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

That 2600 looks in immaculate condition nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Yeah - that 2600 looks fab ! Nice find

bmorrissey wrote: »
    That 2600 looks in immaculate condition nice one.
    deadl0ck wrote: »
    Yeah - that 2600 looks fab ! Nice find

Yeah its fairly nice looking alright. I gave it a good clean anyway as I always do with anything retro that arrives. One thing I've found with cleaning up certain older plastic is that once you really cleaned it well with 99 % isopropyl alcohol, give it a rub with some really high quality mineral oil mixture(well spread and mixed on a cloth, not direct to console). I tried some that didn't work well and in the end the best I've used is certain brands of beard oil :)
    It did amazing work on my old iMac G3 and a little bit on this 2600 really restored the console and the sticks(especially the rubber section on those sticks).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Yeah its fairly nice looking alright. I gave it a good clean anyway as I always do with anything retro that arrives. One thing I've found with cleaning up certain older plastic is that once you really cleaned it well with 99 % isopropyl alcohol, give it a rub with some really high quality mineral oil mixture(well spread and mixed on a cloth, not direct to console). I tried some that didn't work well and in the end the best I've used is certain brands of beard oil :)
    It did amazing work on my old iMac G3 and a little bit on this 2600 really restored the console and the sticks(especially the rubber section on those sticks).

I'm similar but use silicon spray - it brings up the plastic very well

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement