Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,456 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've never heard of Wingarms, actually looks kind of interesting and *gasp* affordable!

The difference between each region's cover art is amazing.

Check out this PAL and US NTSC trash in comparison to that absolutely beautiful Japanese cover above

39046-wing-arms-sega-saturn-front-cover.jpg

60499-wing-arms-sega-saturn-front-cover.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Always hated shadows of the empire and it baffles me it has defenders.

I liked it when it came out, its a nostalgia thing with that game rather than enjoying the game for the game. Plus, i didn't have the Japanese version, so it plugged a hole in my collection :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

o1s1n wrote: »
    I've never heard of Wingarms, actually looks kind of interesting and *gasp* affordable!

The difference between each region's cover art is amazing.

Check out this PAL and US NTSC trash in comparison to that absolutely beautiful Japanese cover above

I mean, i cant be the only one whos willing to admit to buying a crap load of Japanese games just for the artwork... right? :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,818 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Steve X2 wrote: »
    I liked it when it came out, its a nostalgia thing with that game rather than enjoying the game for the game. Plus, i didn't have the Japanese version, so it plugged a hole in my collection :)

I hated it even on release. I just remember the bike stage that barely worked within any sort of physics and the terrible controls exasperated by a train level. And all the little minigames. I mean we already had Dark Forces.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I hated it even on release. I just remember the bike stage that barely worked within any sort of physics and the terrible controls exasperated by a train level. And all the little minigames. I mean we already had Dark Forces.

I liked it, on release, but the train level was a curse on mankind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I got another forum member's NES 101 today.

Just need to find an RF cable in my bag of junk to give it a test then start ordering bits to mod it!

@ Steve X2, I love Japanese N64 art! So sorry I didn't have bag space to buy a load of it when I was in Japan last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Got a Ninja Ryukenden arcade board, surprisingly large board too. I used to play it as Shadow Warriors...

Ninja Ryukenden = Japanese
    Shadow warriors = Europe
    Ninja Gaiden = USA

Pretty solid game, quite difficult. I think the original cabinet came with a joystick that had the "grab" button on top, but it works fine with standard buttons too.

Some bizarre stuff in it, as outlined in this review
    www.denofgeek.com/games/ninja-gaiden-arcade/%3famp

Third boss is a pain in the balls

IMG-20200714-140523-8.jpg

IMG-20200719-164810-2.jpg

Beating these guys with 1 credit isn't easy, but that's without looking at guides or videos whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Gradius wrote: »
    Got a Ninja Ryukenden arcade board, surprisingly large board too. I used to play it as Shadow Warriors...
    I remember (loading a lot &) playing the ZX Spectrum conversion of Shadow Warriors :) for some reason I didn't think it was a arcade port

I just got Soul Edge v2 Jamma board for a bit of school day nostalgia. It’s obviously dated looking but still a load of fun!

Works great, but I’ll need to jump some of the ext connector pins or stop being lazy and sort a CPS kick harness and an adapter for Namco boards.

Master of the Universe

Yeah I remember I had the jamma pins modded on my old board years ago, did the trick!

• Advertisement

Picked up a Sharp Twin Famicom AN-500B
    520663.jpg
    PSU winging itself from the UK as I type as the seller in Japan didn't send I could have butchered :/ oh hum

They are such lovely machines!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have one as well, just lovely devices, just a new rubber band needed on the drive, maybe some adjusting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭geotrig

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I have one as well, just lovely devices, just a new rubber band needed on the drive, maybe some adjusting!

and some adjusting and some more adjusting with a bit more adjusting just to get all the bloody discs to load :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Buggers of yokes to setup right..

Have a FDSStick coming also which is a 'Famicom Disk System (FDS) drive emulator.
    While having having one disc will be nice to have/hold, this will just work :D I want to avoid the belt fun but this Twin comes with the belt already replaced.

...which I've just noticed I might need to make a cable to go from the FDSStick to the connector that will come with the kit I ordered. Wonder if all Nintendo NES/SNES AV cables are fully wired?

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Have a FDSStick coming also which is a 'Famicom Disk System (FDS) drive emulator.
    While having having one disc will be nice to have/hold, this will just work :D I want to avoid the belt fun but this Twin comes with the belt already replaced.

...which I've just noticed I might need to make a cable to go from the FDSStick to the connector that will come with the kit I ordered. Wonder if all Nintendo NES/SNES AV cables are fully wired?

Yes, looks like the Twin will need a custom cable, I've some old SNES/GC cables upstairs, if you want to rummage through the boxes of crap/cave of wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

At long last I got one - I also have a VecMulti cart :)

IMG-20200722-170303.jpg

Master of the Universe

Gorgeous! How are you finding it?

I really miss my old one, there really is nothing quite like them. Never let it go! :D

Congratulations!

There are so many amazing homebrew titles on the Veccy, you are going to have the best time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

It's great - it's just been recapped and a new sound chip installed also.
    I'm just now starting to try out the games - Wormhole is fantastic - so I have lots to still try.
    I'm going to get some of the UV Overlays from Laurence Bennion (and the UV frame).
    Vic from Ten Pence Arcade podcast also does some lovely joysticks for it too - so LOTs of stuff to do/get :D

Upgraded undercover cops to alpha renewal version. It's like a different game, serious improvements to sound, music, moves, graphical details. Great!

A detailed review of differences here

http://gaminghell.co.uk/UndercoverCops.html

IMG-20200722-172021-5.jpg

IMG-20200722-172645-1.jpg

IMG-20200722-173330-6-2.jpg

Master of the Universe

Bloody hell, well jealous of that! Really love that game.

That's on an Irem M-92 isn't it? They used a similar board for Gunforce 2 if I remember properly (mainly because I spent an age trying to find one!)

o1s1n wrote: »
    Bloody hell, well jealous of that! Really love that game.

That's on an Irem M-92 isn't it? They used a similar board for Gunforce 2 if I remember properly (mainly because I spent an age trying to find one!)

Ah yeah it's a top game, not well known but one of the best beat em ups. It's like a beefed up streets of rage in a cyberpunk world, and 3 player too! Came out shortly after the cybercity oedo 808 manga, and I'd guess it may have been the inspiration?

Yep, m92 board. Same as geostorm? I don't know.

The other elusive beat em up I'm after is Night Slashers by data east. Who doesn't want to fight Frankenstein's monster and Dracula?! They ported a version recently to the switch too. But well worth checking out either way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,818 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think Nightslashers got delisted from the switch. Happened before I could pick it up. So no way to get a home version now.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

Ah yeah it's a top game, not well known but one of the best beat em ups. It's like a beefed up streets of rage in a cyberpunk world, and 3 player too! Came out shortly after the cybercity oedo 808 manga, and I'd guess it may have been the inspiration?

That opening is brilliant, very catchy. The English dub of that anime is hilarious, they added in profanity in places where it makes no sense to make it more edgy.

Just watched that again in the past week after prob 20 years of seeing it last :D That OST is much better than the original Japanese soundtrack - here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭Inviere

I think Nightslashers got delisted from the switch. Happened before I could pick it up. So no way to get a home version now.

Is it gone from the regional stores too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭geotrig

The other elusive beat em up I'm after is Night Slashers by data east.

I gave up a getting night slashers a long time ago , it does come up every now and again but I've always found it over priced(I say that as someone who really likes and and being looking for it for a long time) its never been a cheap game at any point that i remember even when other games were relatively cheap.

• Advertisement

That opening is brilliant, very catchy. The English dub of that anime is hilarious, they added in profanity in places where it makes no sense to make it more edgy.

Here's the first full episode, proper manga uk version for anyone interested. Been donkeys years since I've seen it but still cool :p

"It's way past your bed-time, motherf***ker!"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement