Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building callouses and chasing goals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭EmcD123

hard session tonight, wasnt feeling up to it at all and had to go lighter than I usually would. Plus I dropped a plate on my finger and now the nail is really bruised and its so sore.....

Front squat +Jerk
    3+1 x2 @50kg
    2+1 x2 @55kg
    1+1 x2 @60kg
    Front squats
    4x4 @80kg
    slow,painful and overall just a grind
    Power snatch
    5x2 @40kg
    just couldnt...plus my nail was in agony at this point
    antibiotics are killing me
    Snatch first pull
    5x4 @60kg

So remember how i said i dropped a weight on my finger and it was bruised,well turns out i broke my finger....so just have to wait for it to fix itself now ,this sucks so much:mad:

Session today to see if im actually able to run ,think it went okay so i will go ahead with the races tomorrow,they wont be pretty times but up until this morning i was sure id have to pull out

3x150m not flat out,easy enough pace,testing to see if i could do the distance

*put on spikes*
    2x150m not flat out but a lot faster than the previous ones,was running okay on these so thats why I decided to go ahead with the races tomorrow

Finger is taped up aswell now which is lowering the pain when I move it,am entered for a 200m and relay tomorrow

Had to do the 400m race yesterday becasue there was a faster 200m runner available. Wasnt sure if id be able for it and i wasnt.

4x100m first. we had 3 pretty good sprinters including myself but our 1st runner was not a sprinter and was just so far out of it that we didnt have a chance after the first 50m's, I ran my leg of it well and i made some ground but it was a lost cause.

Then the 400m,I was worried how being sick and approaching 2 weeks now of antibiotics would affect me and they affected me pretty badly,
    Got off to a good start,was relaxed,kept up with the others for about 220m then felt pretty good so went to kick up my pace a little at the second half of the second bend and suddenly it was like running into a brick wall,my legs just wouldnt move,I had to force them to keep moving and i just dropped so so far back ,i wasnt even out of breath though, got really sick after the race so it was just that my body wasnt ready for it after being sick and all that because even when i was unfit i was able to run decent 400's before

Anyway the next race is the 28th of june,so plenty of time to train,have to get a decent time there to get the pick for the second round of yesterday's event on the 12th of july

Right so,recap coulodnt actually walk until tuesday lol,went for a few walks then on tuesday and wednesday,then headed off to the golf in co.Down, got back really late last night and im wrecked again,dont know if ill manage something today.
    Finger still isnt able to bend properly but might manage to get in on monday and do some squats maybe try crossfit

• Advertisement

3x250/275m didnt measure the pitch
    Did a slow one first,then the 3 proper ones,
    nearly killed me,massive headwind for a load of it.

Got a track session in this morning,lots of the fastest people were missing today because schools all irelands were yesterday so I was just running along with a few others,didnt push too hard today as I just want to get back in but i was still running pretty okay

3 sets of:
    1x60m
    1x80m
    1x100m

5 minutes between sets and they were all done pretty hard

Hit about 30 golf shots then at the driving range afterwards, Im in quite a lot of muscle pain now after that

forgot to log last nights session

Snatch
    2x2 @40kg
    3x2 @45kg
    they were pretty hard but should be almost back to normal in the next week or two
    Clean and jerk
    5x1 @50kg
    2x1 @55kg
    1x1 @60kg
    These were really really hard, I find while i can snatch reasonably well no matter what my clean and jerks really really suffer when im not feeling my best
    Back squats
    5x5 @70kg
    kept these really light because wanted to build back into them slowly see what i could manage

Even with keeping the weight light for the whole session my legs are destroyed today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Hey man you seem to do a good bit of Oly lifting type stuff so I thought maybe you could help me out. I'm thinking about starting to do Power Cleans as part of my workout and was just wondering what kind of weight should you start out with if you're doing it for the first time. Thanks!

Aspiring wrote: »
    Hey man you seem to do a good bit of Oly lifting type stuff so I thought maybe you could help me out. I'm thinking about starting to do Power Cleans as part of my workout and was just wondering what kind of weight should you start out with if you're doing it for the first time. Thanks!

when I was starting it, I was made use an empty bar to start off with and then 30kg for ages and basically just did loads and loads of 1-3 reps sets with it because you never get tired with that light a weight, it so easy to hurt yourself during them if you dont get the technique right. Just dont think about the weight on the bar, just make sure to really stretch before doing them.
    coaching also has a massive role in getting the technique

• Advertisement

Track session this morning,legs were absolutely dead but I still ran decently, was a good lot off my target times but thats okay

1x200m in 25.9 seconds
    Thats over a second slower than I was before I got sick but thats okay
    1x150m ,probably the fastest run of today but the person timing it messed up with the timer
    1x120m in 14.1 seconds, target time was 14 so thats pretty good
    1x100m in 12.7 seconds, target was 12 but I was feeling awful by the time I got to the 100m so its grand

Track session with the club tonight aswell

I feel so sick now....

Everything was done from the 200m start and done from blocks

6x40m
    2x110m
    2x200m
    All supposed to be done almost flat out. Thats actually quite a lot of volume

• Registered Users Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

How's your driving out of the blocks coming along?

How's your driving out of the blocks coming along?

Its not too bad, its improving now that Im in them more regularly but I still feeling like Im kinda stepping out of them a bit if you know what I mean, I could do with getting more powerful out of them if I was going to seriously do 100m races but since my main goal is 400m its not overly important to get a fantastic drive out. Im trying to work on smoothly accelarating after I leave the blocks insteading of trying to burst out of them

A kind of endurance session today, because thats something I need to work on and because its what I felt like doing today

so 150m fast strides with 80m jog between each 150m

1st set: 8 150's
    2nd set: 4 150's

wanted to do 8 in the 2nd set but I got an awful stitch and then decided to leave some in the tank for tonights session.

So 4 sets of:
    40m
    60m
    80m

It wasnt too bad, legs are tight after todays session

Tried crossfit this morning......:o

L-sit practice
    Trying to hold as good a L as I could on rings
    Pullups
    1x10
    1x6
    1x3
    1x3
    Bulgarian split squats
    1x10 @20kg
    1x10 @30kg
    1x10 @40kg
    1x10 @45kg (those are ten on each leg)
    Burpees
    Team excercise, 150 burpees between 2 people
    So we broke them into doing sets of 5
    But 75 burpees each
    Total time: 8 minutes 14 seconds

Then I stayed for the weightlifting afterwards
    Snatch
    singles up to 50kg
    Clean and jerk
    singles up to 50kg
    Just couldnt jerk anything decent at all today
    Back squats
    5x3 @80kg

Snatch
    5x3 @50kg
    Will increase a little next week
    Clean and 3 jerks
    5x30kg
    5x40kg
    Clean and 2 jerks
    3x50kg
    Clean and jerk
    2x55kg
    Jerks are pretty woeful these last few weeks, its purely technical problems though
    Back squats
    5x3 @85kg
    Will try 90 next week

Endurance session(done on grass)

2 sets of 8x130m with 90m jog between each 130
    Roughly 6 minutes break between the 2 sets
    Done at a fast stride out pace
    Found it much easier than I did last week

4x440m laps cool down at a jog

Absolutely **** session today, very disappointed in myself,just didnt have it in me

4x120m

Times:
    14.9s
    14.4s
    15.0s
    15.1s

• Advertisement

Yesterdays session

4x100m
    Times:
    12.5s
    12.7s
    13.0s
    13.1s
    Not a great session, It took too much effort considering how slow it was,Im starting to think I might still be feeling a bit rundown after the time when I was sick

Todays session
    2x2 200m
    They couldnt each have been faster than 26 and the second set was so slow because I was feeling so sick. Definitely think I'll go visit the doctor about this

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

well I mean that is a lot of sprint sessions close together...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Might be worth a bit of rest alright

Ya this whole weekend will be for resting. Still I only have to keep up this intensity for another 2 weeks

Back in business today, 2 good sessions

Am session:
    4.5km at a gentle pace ,probably took around 23 mins

Pm session:
    Weightlifting
    Snatch
    Didnt snatch well tonight but thats not too bad because its rare enough that I dont snatch well
    2x2 @40kg
    2x2 @50kg
    1x55kg fail
    2x52kg fail
    1x50kg fail then gave up
    Clean and Jerk
    coach took a look at the jerk this time and gave me a few drills to do between sets and it improved significantly .
    I clean and jerked up to 65kg easily, didnt manage 70 though
    Back squats
    5x3 @90kg
    Big PR there and only the last set was difficult, triples seem to be working well when it comes to getting more weight on the bar each week
    Pause back squat
    2x5 @50kg
    Learned the definition of ass to grass here. basically working on pushing my hips through and making sure my glutes are firing

3.6km at a gentle pace again, my knee was acting up again but sure it'll be grand

Yesterday night session

2 sets of :40m,60m,80m,120m flat out
    Best ive felt in a while

No training tomorrow night because im going to dublin to spectate at the tailteann games... I dont like that drive at all..

Also my next race is getting close

Sunday morning training

6x 40m from blocks
    5x100m from blocks
    It left me shattered, my hip is getting more painful too

• Advertisement

Weightlifting tonight, had a really good session,came so close to PR's in both lifts

Snatch
    Doubles: 2x40kg , 2x45kg
    Singles: 3x50kg,1x60kg
    3 failed attempts at 62kg,the first attempt was so so close

Clean and jerk
    Power clean and 2 jerks: 3x40kg,3x50kg,1x55kg
    Full clean and jerks singles: 3x60kg,2x65kg,1x70kg
    3 failed attempts at 75kg, the last attempt I just couldnt quite get it locked out

Back squats
    1x3 @90kg
    4x3 @95kg
    These werent as bad as I expected

Advertisement